• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
once you realize you need to stay some distance in front, midir becomes manageable and fun. still difficult (imo it's the most difficult dark souls 3 boss) but fun

what's your problem with the guardian ape in sekiro though? that's such an amazing fight and moment
I dont have the time or patience to sit through 2 different boss fights one after another, both of which already difficult as hell

I dont find the "unique twist" on their bosses always just being "it gets harder and never ends" a good thing

Seath was the closest to perfect with this, where you can give the diehards a chance at beating an absurd overpowered boss, but after that encounter tune it down for the non inhuman players to be able to actually do it

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
C8X7qiM.png

I need the template for that lmao

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Midir is one of the best boss fights in the series, and magnificently designed and consistently fun.

I'll die on that hill.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Seath was the closest to perfect with this, where you can give the diehards a chance at beating an absurd overpowered boss, but after that encounter tune it down for the non inhuman players to be able to actually do it

???

You do realize the first Seath "fight" is an actual BS auto-lose encounter and not a real boss fight, right? You didn't lose because you sucked.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
???

You do realize the first Seath "fight" is an actual BS auto-lose encounter and not a real boss fight, right? You didn't lose because you sucked.
Yeah this post confuses me... the first Seath fight isn't a real boss fight at all, it's literally invincible and auto-lose, which is actually a perfect example of unfair BS and I'm glad they never did this shit again.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But Ringed City's optional boss isn't

Midir is one of very few bosses I feel are halfbaked, tedious, and trash intentionally, and I hate it. One of the reasons I was hesitant on Sekiro(And proved right with that shitty gorilla and the final boss), considering that Midir was destined purposely out of spite towards people who arent good enough to play alone since it becomes ridiculously harder in multiplayer.

Unfair is not fun

Halfbaked? Trash? The animations and FX work for Midir are glorious. And, sure, he has a ton of HP, but that's balanced by virtually all of his attacks being really telegraphed and allowing the player plenty of opportunities to get hits in on his snout.

OP, if you haven't reached The Ringed City yet, don't click.

Midir is one of the best boss fights in the series, and magnificently designed and consistently fun.

I'll die on that hill.

You have my axe!

Last edited:

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I struggled with her first two phases, but I beat her last phase the first time I reached it. I played a bit of the ringed city after that, but I sort of got burned out by souls considering I had played Bloodborne, demon's souls and the whole dark souls series all in a row. I'd like to finish the dlc for the 2nd and 3rd games, but there's a lot of other stuff I'd rather play.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Midir is an awesome fight. I still give the award to Gael for best in the series due to his variety of moves, but Midir is only just behind. Very fair, very fun fights. The perfect end to a brilliant series.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah Midir is far and away the best dragon boss fight in gaming for me, single player anyway.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
It warms my cold heart to see that Dark Souls 3 is still causing people to rage. No offense to anyone, I just wholeheartedly enjoyed the game.

Also. Yes. The hell with this fight.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It shames me that I still haven't even touched DS3's DLC. I remember the initial reception to it seemed kinda bleh - seems like people have settled into a more positive view of it?
A lot of people thought the first DLC was a bit short (it's one of the best areas in Souls, though), with only one "real" boss fight and one optional.

But the Ringed City was very well received. It is stunning; the best content in the series. Both DLC are part of the same story (the first DLC sets it up, and the second takes it to its conclusion).

Oct 25, 2017
It shames me that I still haven't even touched DS3's DLC. I remember the initial reception to it seemed kinda bleh - seems like people have settled into a more positive view of it?
I think part of it was The Ringed City making up for its shortcomings.

Ashes of Ariandel is great, in my opinion, but it is kind of short and only has one real boss, so a lot of people were disappointed back then. But then comes The Ringed City with five billion areas and three thousand bosses. So if you take both DLCs and think if the Season Pass price is worth it for all that content, the answer is yes, absolutely.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Halfbaked? Trash? The animations and FX work for Midir are glorious. And, sure, he has a ton of HP, but that's balanced by virtually all of his attacks being really telegraphed and allowing the player plenty of opportunities to get hits in on his snout.
The bolded is why, while I'd never call Midir easy, I'd also not call it one of the tougher fights in Dark Souls 3. Aside from one of the beam attacks of the later stages that can suddenly oneshot you if you're not familiar with its weird pattern, you get plenty of chances to research the fight and search for openings. Friede is constantly on your ass by comparison and the fake-out stop in middle of her long combo is almost meanspirited that long into a bossfight.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Shes frustrating but fun and decently designed IMO

But Ringed City's optional boss isn't

Midir is one of very few bosses I feel are halfbaked, tedious, and trash intentionally, and I hate it. One of the reasons I was hesitant on Sekiro(And proved right with that shitty gorilla and the final boss), considering that Midir was destined purposely out of spite towards people who arent good enough to play alone since it becomes ridiculously harder in multiplayer.

Unfair is not fun

Midir, Guardian Ape, and SSI are all top-tier bosses though. Especially SSI.

Last edited:

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
So before I buy the DLC, is she more or less ridiculous than orphan of kos? I think the orphan is my limit for difficulty in boss fights

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
never had a very hard time with her, she telegraphs the shit out of all her moves. beat her with the greatsword thats based off of guts sword in berserk. thought midir was much harder, though friede was a more fun fight.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm a pretty good Souls player but Sister Friede really challenges me...hardest boss by far in any of the Souls games...she's way too fast, uses magic and physical attacks, you can't really get too close or get too far plus you have to do all 3 phases every time you die...

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
It's bullshit. Had to summon Gael because the endurance test that is the first 2 phases just wore me down.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't I remember this fight? I'm sure I've done all the DLC. Is there another path where you only fight the flame monster guy, and not her?

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
The "She was easy" and "it took me 30 tries to beat her" replies in this post are part of the reason why I love these games so much.

I found her very difficult but not frustrating. Probably my favorite boss in Souls

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me resume Ashes of Ariandel after dropping it a couple of years ago. Turns out I wasn't that far from her but wtf is that invisible shit in the first phase?

It's fucking me up.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
I bought and beat both DLCs a few weeks ago, around e3 when it was on sale I think. Anyway, for not having played any souls game for a couple of years I think I did pretty good on all the bosses, Midir was definitely the hardest (and had the coolest theme) but Friede and KSG were kinda fun. Not a big fan of multi-phased bosses but eh...

I've been skipping Sekiro because of all the talk around launch of how it was the most difficult From game (I didn't need that kinda of stressful shit), but is there anything in Sekiro on the level of DS3/BB DLC bosses in terms of difficulty?

Oct 25, 2017
I bought and beat both DLCs a few weeks ago, around e3 when it was on sale I think. Anyway, for not having played any souls game for a couple of years I think I did pretty good on all the bosses, Midir was definitely the hardest (and had the coolest theme) but Friede and KSG were kinda fun. Not a big fan of multi-phased bosses but eh...

I've been skipping Sekiro because of all the talk around launch of how it was the most difficult From game (I didn't need that kinda of stressful shit), but is there anything in Sekiro on the level of DS3/BB DLC bosses in terms of difficulty?
There is one boss on that level, but the hardest thing about Sekiro is getting used to how different it feels. I probably died more against my first boss than almost every other boss combined. It's a struggle until it clicks, then it's smooth sailing.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still standing by my opinion that this is the most unfair fight in the whole soul series (not counting the witch of Izalith in DS1)....like even Ishin is a more doable fight because, just like the boss getting a new health bar, you get one too if you die....in DS3 against Sister, it's just "deal with it", here, the boss is getting 3 health bars and good luck.
Eh, nothing could be more bullshit than optional gank squad bosses in Dark Souls II DLC.

The two tigers at the end of Frigid Outskirts are just plain stupid and I've given up on it. It's the only Souls boss I haven't beaten, and I've played everything from Demon's Souls to Sekiro.

Also, the 3 human bosses on the first DLC is pretty much unplayable with a Magic build (most of the DLC is unplayable with a Magic build)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
The two tigers at the end of Frigid Outskirts are just plain stupid and I've given up on it. It's the only Souls boss I haven't beaten, and I've played everything from Demon's Souls to Sekiro.

They are fair and very well designed. When the second one joins the fight you should be well into killing the first one, so you'll only fight two at the same time for a fraction of the fight.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly yelled "OH FUCK OFF!" when this happened and got completely smashed by the opening air spiral attack

beating this bitch without slave knight gael is just crazy man. Swear her stealth mode command grab got auto aim bruh

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
There is one boss on that level, but the hardest thing about Sekiro is getting used to how different it feels. I probably died more against my first boss than almost every other boss combined. It's a struggle until it clicks, then it's smooth sailing.
that doesn't sound too bad, but yeah I heard it's more about getting the hang of the rhythm for parrying which I find interesting (I loved parrying in BB), I'm still probably gonna play it, just waiting for a good sale

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Sister Friede and Lady Maria are two women who will rip out your heart while it's still beating and crush it right in your face.