• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyros

Oct 27, 2017
Started my whiskey collecting journey this year.

My current inventory:
Ardbeg Wee Beastie
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Old Forester Rye
Jameson Caskmates Stout
Teeling Single Malt
Old Forester 1910
Balcones Blue Corn Bourbon
Maker's Mark SE4 X PR5
Balcones Lineage (single malt)
Michter's American.

Been kind of bummed at the lack of availability of the Buffalo Trace products where I live, but I'm looking into doing a deeper dive on the world of American single malts and I've kept myself busy watching channels like Whiskey Vault, Bourbon Junkies, Whiskey Crusaders, It's Bourbon night, Mash and Drum, and Eric Wait whiskey studies.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Started my whiskey collecting journey this year.

My current inventory:
Ardbeg Wee Beastie
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Old Forester Rye
Jameson Caskmates Stout
Teeling Single Malt
Old Forester 1910
Balcones Blue Corn Bourbon
Maker's Mark SE4 X PR5
Balcones Lineage (single malt)
Michter's American.

Been kind of bummed at the lack of availability of the Buffalo Trace products where I live, but I'm looking into doing a deeper dive on the world of American single malts and I've kept myself busy watching channels like Whiskey Vault, Bourbon Junkies, Whiskey Crusaders, It's Bourbon night, Mash and Drum, and Eric Wait whiskey studies.
So I really enjoy Whiskey Vault and Bourbon Junkies. If you're ever looking for another one, check out ADHD Whiskey. This guy is a little weird but his videos are thoroughly entertaining. The goofiness was off-putting to me the first time I watched it, but then I watched a few more and I think he's fun to watch on occasion.

I got my monthly bonus today so I think I'm going to hit up a liquor store. I really dabbled with bourbons but I've been having more fun just starting to branch out into scotch. I haven't been impressed with how much more complex some of these Scotch's really seem as compared to a bourbon. (But I could just be not going after the right bourbons.)

I started with just some Monkey Shoulder, but then saw that a lot of the more flavorful parts of it are common with other Speyside scotches. So I then grabbed a bottle of Glenrothes 10 yr and really liked that as well. I figured rather than tilting back to a bourbon I'd keep growing the ol' scotch collection.

So what kind of Scotch whiskeys do you lot recommend for someone that's a noob for scotch? I saw someone earlier talking about the Ardbegs, and I've seen that the Ardbeg 10 is a good entry level. I'm here for any recommendations though.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I started with just some Monkey Shoulder, but then saw that a lot of the more flavorful parts of it are common with other Speyside scotches. So I then grabbed a bottle of Glenrothes 10 yr and really liked that as well. I figured rather than tilting back to a bourbon I'd keep growing the ol' scotch collection.

So what kind of Scotch whiskeys do you lot recommend for someone that's a noob for scotch? I saw someone earlier talking about the Ardbegs, and I've seen that the Ardbeg 10 is a good entry level. I'm here for any recommendations though.
Ardbeg 10 is a solid representation of a peated Islay whisky but it's definitely a love/hate thing, a million miles away from fruity Speysides. Bunnahabhain 12 is an un-peated Islay whisky that is a popular Scotch for newcomers, complex and slightly smokey without being too in your face.

I'm not massive into Speyside but some decent value picks are GlenAllachie 12, BenRiach 10 and Glenfarclas 10, all approachable fruity sherried Scotches.

Highland whisky often falls more in the middle of the Scotch flavour profile. Some great beginner choices would be Deanston 12, Glencadam 10 and Clynelish 14.

Cambeltown whisky is often slightly salty, coastal in flavour and has a bit of a cult around it (much like Islay). Great entry level choices would be Springbank 10 and Kilkerran 12 (if you can find any in stock).

The last major category left is Island Scotch (from the surrounding islands). There's not really a classic profile due to the diversity of flavours, but Talisker 10 and Arran 10 are popular picks, and Ledaig 10 is a good gateway to peated whisky.

Lowland is the final geographic area left but it's output is fairy tiny and I've never had one. Bladnoch 10 is on my list.

I'm from the UK so availability of the above may vary depending where you live. It might be worth buying a cross section of whiskys in small sample-size form and seeing what you like before buying a bottle, the diversity found in Scotch whisky is what makes exploring it so fun.

Edit: Also for YouTube you can't go wrong with Ralfy and Aqvavitae, and their review scores are archived here and here.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ardbeg 10 is a solid representation of a peated Islay whisky but it's definitely a love/hate thing, a million miles away from fruity Speysides. Bunnahabhain 12 is an un-peated Islay whisky that is a popular Scotch for newcomers, complex and slightly smokey without being too in your face.

I'm not massive into Speyside but some decent value picks are GlenAllachie 12, BenRiach 10 and Glenfarclas 10, all approachable fruity sherried Scotches.

Highland whisky often falls more in the middle of the Scotch flavour profile. Some great beginner choices would be Deanston 12, Glencadam 10 and Clynelish 14.

Cambeltown whisky is often slightly salty, coastal in flavour and has a bit of a cult around it (much like Islay). Great entry level choices would be Springbank 10 and Kilkerran 12 (if you can find any in stock).

The last major category left is Island Scotch (from the surrounding islands). There's not really a classic profile due to the diversity of flavours, but Talisker 10 and Arran 10 are popular picks, and Ledaig 10 is a good gateway to peated whisky.

Lowland is the final geographic area left but it's output is fairy tiny and I've never had one. Bladnoch 10 is on my list.

I'm from the UK so availability of the above may vary depending where you live. It might be worth buying a cross section of whiskys in small sample-size form and seeing what you like before buying a bottle, the diversity found in Scotch whisky is what makes exploring it so fun.

Edit: Also for YouTube you can't go wrong with Ralfy and Aqvavitae, and their review scores are archived here and here.
This is awesome information. Thank you! I'll be sure to reference it this afternoon when I'm at the store!

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Welp, after somewhat falling off the whisk(e)y train in the last year or two, suddenly I find myself slipping back into it just in the past couple of weeks. I started to get back into some cocktail mixing, which led to me wanting to try giving bourbon another shot, as it's a category I'd tried before but could never get myself to particularly enjoy for some reason. Turns out...I think I'm still not all that much of a fan, which is a shame, but hey it has opened the door for me to start exploring again, so points for that at least?

Currently in the cabinet:
Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year (down to its last pour now)
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or
Bulleit Bourbon
Old Forester 100 Proof
anCnoc 12
(and several non-whisky items like some gin and a couple bottles of shochu but this isn't the thread for those, heh)

The Bulleit is a pretty small bottle, mostly just to dip my toe back into bourbon after a long absence. The Old Forester I just bought a week ago after having heard some really good things about its quality for value reputation. It's...okay, and though skill-wise I'm probably still a relative novice when it comes to pulling out real complexity in tasting notes and still get a few interesting things out of it, I haven't felt in the just couple of glasses so far like I'm really truly satisfied when I'm drinking it. There's something physical in my reaction to it that just doesn't seem right, it's something I've experienced with other bourbons before.
Enter the anCnoc 12 that I just bought earlier today somewhat in a fit of frustration. Man what a contrast; even off of just one glass, this hit me in just the right way. Pear, honey, cereal, just a touch of smoke on the very back end...I wanted something kind of "light" that I could compare against the darker, alcohol-forward, syrupy notes of the bourbons and this fits the bill just perfectly and instantly cemented that I'm definitely still a single malt guy over bourbon (which is unfortunate for my wallet considering it's easier around here to pick up decently-valued bourbon at lower prices compared to Scotch).

I do love rye too, and definitely prefer that over bourbon as well, though admittedly I tend to lean on rye in cocktails more than sipping neat. Now I just need to fetch myself a good wheat whiskey to complete the four grains tour and set up a proper full preference order, lol.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Bulleit is a pretty small bottle, mostly just to dip my toe back into bourbon after a long absence. The Old Forester I just bought a week ago after having heard some really good things about its quality for value reputation. It's...okay, and though skill-wise I'm probably still a relative novice when it comes to pulling out real complexity in tasting notes and still get a few interesting things out of it, I haven't felt in the just couple of glasses so far like I'm really truly satisfied when I'm drinking it. There's something physical in my reaction to it that just doesn't seem right, it's something I've experienced with other bourbons before.
Enter the anCnoc 12 that I just bought earlier today somewhat in a fit of frustration. Man what a contrast; even off of just one glass, this hit me in just the right way. Pear, honey, cereal, just a touch of smoke on the very back end...I wanted something kind of "light" that I could compare against the darker, alcohol-forward, syrupy notes of the bourbons and this fits the bill just perfectly and instantly cemented that I'm definitely still a single malt guy over bourbon (which is unfortunate for my wallet considering it's easier around here to pick up decently-valued bourbon at lower prices compared to Scotch).

I do love rye too, and definitely prefer that over bourbon as well, though admittedly I tend to lean on rye in cocktails more than sipping neat. Now I just need to fetch myself a good wheat whiskey to complete the four grains tour and set up a proper full preference order, lol.
As I bounce back and forth between bourbon and scotch I'm always shocked at how much more complex and fun I think an average scotch is compared to bourbon. I've only ever had a handful of varieties of scotch at this point but I feel like it's accurate. I'd imagine that has a lot to do with my having a noob palette, and I'm hoping the more I sample bourbons the more I'll be able to pull from them as well.

As for the price/availability, you're in Michigan, too, right? Rumor has it we're supposed to be getting some Total Wine stores in the coming year which will, hopefully, make getting access to things a LOT easier.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
As I bounce back and forth between bourbon and scotch I'm always shocked at how much more complex and fun I think an average scotch is compared to bourbon. I've only ever had a handful of varieties of scotch at this point but I feel like it's accurate. I'd imagine that has a lot to do with my having a noob palette, and I'm hoping the more I sample bourbons the more I'll be able to pull from them as well.

As for the price/availability, you're in Michigan, too, right? Rumor has it we're supposed to be getting some Total Wine stores in the coming year which will, hopefully, make getting access to things a LOT easier.
I'm with you, that's the beauty of single malts and why I have a hard time justifying paying more than $50 for a bottle of bourbon. I have a few favorites, but even when it's quite good it's not gonna venture too far away from the familiar oak-vanilla-caramel profile.

The bourbon rotation in my cabinet right now is Eagle Rare, Basil Hayden, OYO, Noah's Mill and Booker's. A cask strength, small batch bourbon like Booker's has distinct character, that I'll splurge for. Also have a couple of dwindling Pappy's in the back for special occasions. Wheated bourbons are fun to get into, but they're in demand and the markup can be offputting when a decent scotch can be had instead.

Edit: Didn't realize how out of control the price for Booker's has gotten. Wouldn't recommend for over $60-$70.

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

I mean, my palate is still fairly noob overall (Looking at the lineup of old boxes I've kept, I've at least tried like...16 Scotches, 2 or 3 ryes and 2 or 3 bourbons, but spread over a period of 6 years) so in terms of "complexity" I doubt I'm really at a point where I can say the bourbon is necessarily simpler. It's especially ironic considering that if you told me I'd be drinking something with a character of oak/vanilla/caramel as described that I would be all about that since those are flavors I love as an after dinner sipper. The biggest difference really is physical; it's like my body literally just doesn't handle a corn-heavy spirit as well, having a glass or two of bourbon threatens a headache shortly after, which I don't really get with Scotch.

It makes bourbon a tough sell for me on anything other than price and general availability, when I can also get those same caramel and vanilla notes from a good sherried Speyside without the drawbacks. The problem is just that those good single malts, even some of the "entry level" ones can run me $50-70 a bottle, compared to some bourbons that I've regularly seen score decently highly with people that I can nab for $25. Maybe I should take that as a natural deterrent from drinking too regularly, haha.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
I'm having trouble deciding what to get next. I've narrowed it down to these three:

1. Johnnie Walker Green - sounds like the best QPR from the JW line, and I like Talisker 10 which is apparently one of the components of this blend
2. Redbreast 12 - I've never tried an Irish whiskey before and lots of people seem to recommend this one as a great example of it. I'd like to get the cask strength version but its too much more expensive than the regular version where I am
3. Nikka from the Barrel - I've never tried a Japanese whiskey before and this also seems to be recommended often

All three of these can be bought where I am for around the same price (~$45-55) so that's not a differentiating factor here, although the Nikka is only 50cl whereas the others are 70cl.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble deciding what to get next. I've narrowed it down to these three:

1. Johnnie Walker Green - sounds like the best QPR from the JW line, and I like Talisker 10 which is apparently one of the components of this blend
2. Redbreast 12 - I've never tried an Irish whiskey before and lots of people seem to recommend this one as a great example of it. I'd like to get the cask strength version but its too much more expensive than the regular version where I am
3. Nikka from the Barrel - I've never tried a Japanese whiskey before and this also seems to be recommended often

All three of these can be bought where I am for around the same price (~$45-55) so that's not a differentiating factor here, although the Nikka is only 50cl whereas the others are 70cl.
Personally, I liked Nikka much more than Redbreast 12.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

If you try that Japanese whiskey, post about it here! I've been super curious about Japanese whiskeys for a minute now and would love to get some opinions on it.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

Nikka from the Barrel is a great blend of a few single malts from the distillery, never been disappointed with it. Nikka Coffey Malt or Coffey Grain are also great entry points, and can potentially be had for a bit cheaper as well.

I've always enjoyed OG Redbreast 12, it's a good baseline for getting into Irish pot still whiskies. Though I might suggest Green Spot over it if that's in your budget, that's my favorite line from the region.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Speaking of Nikka, I've been working on a bottle of Yoichi Single Malt lately (which makes an appearance in the Barrel blend) and it's dangerous - lightly peated, fruity, nicely balanced and very tasty. My go to bottle at the moment, want it to last but I keep coming back.

Also picked up a Bunnahabhain Toiteach a Dhà - that one took a glass or two to get a handle on but it's growing on me, there's a lot going on for the price range. Sooty, smoky and peppery, but fairly gentle and the sherry and chocolate notes show up with water. Doesn't all quite come together for me but cool to try a peated expression from Bunnahabhain.

The other bottle I grabbed for the collection was a Deanston 20 Year Oloroso. Been on my wish list for a minute, underrated Highland distillery and can't wait to try as soon as there's a reason to crack it open.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I've only tried a handful of single malts, but I was pleasantly surprised the other week when I tried Bushmills 10 on a whim.

Love the tropical and apple notes that I was getting. Definitely enjoyed it a lot more than regular Bushmills or even Black Bush. For the price (I paid around 35 quid), it's serious bang for buck imo.
202003048_bushmills_10_shadow_1_original.png

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
If you try that Japanese whiskey, post about it here! I've been super curious about Japanese whiskeys for a minute now and would love to get some opinions on it.

So my wife and I have had a couple Japanese whiskeys. Namely, the Suntori one that is...affordable.
It was great! We loved the taste!

The hangover was legendarily bad, however.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017

Will do! Although I'm still a complete novice so I won't be able to give much critical analysis. At the very least I'll let you know whether I like it or not

Thanks to everybody else for the suggestions! I'll probably be getting the Nikka FTB and possibly also the JW Green. Once I make it through those (or most likely before, who am I kidding) I'll try to get some Redbreast 12

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
There is so much to chose from. Finding a bar with a good selection of whiskey is gold. At least you can try different stuff before paying for a full bottle of something you might not like. A liquor store with a good variety of those small sample bottles is also nice.
Staring at a wall full of whiskey bottles is intimidating when you have no idea what you might like.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The other bottle I grabbed for the collection was a Deanston 20 Year Oloroso. Been on my wish list for a minute, underrated Highland distillery and can't wait to try as soon as there's a reason to crack it open.
Excellent choice! I had picked this one up to celebrate the election and it's absolutely delicious. Got this awesome vanilla graham cracker icing thing going on along with a nice sherry funk (in the best way).

Be sure to give it some time in the glass after pouring to open up, I've noticed that improves it even more when the bottle is fresh. A few drops of water are good, too.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nice! I really enjoy Deanston whisky. Had the opportunity to do a 17 yr self pull Amontillado bottle when my fiancée and I visited their distillery a couple years back.

Nov 1, 2017

Nikka from the Barrel is one of my favourites. I picked it up super cheap when I first visited Japan in 2017, before it won all those awards. Hands down the best value whiskey on the market. Surprising depth and complexity for the price. It was impossible to get in Canada for a while, but they recently started stocking it here.

Speaking of Nikka, I've been working on a bottle of Yoichi Single Malt lately (which makes an appearance in the Barrel blend) and it's dangerous - lightly peated, fruity, nicely balanced and very tasty. My go to bottle at the moment, want it to last but I keep coming back.

Also got a bottle of this hanging around. Tried it side-by-side with my Lag 16, and it's obviously tough to compare them because of the price points. The Lag 16 is damn near flawless to me. But the Yoichi is a very serviceable, peaty scotch.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a recommendation at around $100 that I can find online to ship to California. I like really peaty, but my girlfriend doesn't as much and I'd like to share it, so leaning in that direction without going all in is okay, but not a requirement. We're both fans of rye. I typically buy bottles in the $35-$55 range. Mostly what I want is something smooth and tasty that's a step up. I'm not a collector who is necessarily chasing unique or trying to add something that I don't have.

Current bottles are Glenlivet 12, Redbreast 12, Sazerac Rye.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Looks like this thread can really help me out. My wife wants to try an get into whiskey. No idea where to start. Her birthday is coming up so I thought I;d get her a bottle or sampler set. Any recommendations for a beginner and suggestions on where to buy?
Depends on what she likes I guess? But you can start with a Glenmorangie 14 Port Cask Finish or Quinta Ruban.

taiwan_kav58.jpg

My go-to. The Soloist line are all good, but Fino is my favorite out of it. When I travel to Asia every year, I always make sure I have a layover in Taiwan just so I can get a bottle duty free. To buy one here in the states is close to $500 otherwise. Damn Covid, I miss my Kavalan.
Kavalan is good, I used to drink it circa 2014 at the local bar. They were just up and coming at that time I believe. I was surprised at the quality for a non scotch whiskey at the time.

I'll give one of my kidneys for an Old Pulteney 17yo. Can't find it anywhere :(
I have a bottle :) The 17 year expression is top tier.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Depends on what she likes I guess? But you can start with a Glenmorangie 14 Port Cask Finish or Quinta Ruban.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. We're both total beginners at this so hard to say what we will like. Picked her up a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue. Her birthday is in a week and a half. I wish she would cave and just open the damn thing so I can taste it but she has an iron will when it comes to presents.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching some Whiskey Tribe and they're doing their top gift lists of whiskys. I don't know if I'll ever have enough of a palette to justify buying some Octomore and not having it be just a waste of money. Not that I think it'd be bad but that I just can't imagine ever having a refined enough taste to be able to distinguish varieties of peated whiskys.

What bottles are everyone going for as gifts this season? (I've seen a post or two but not a ton so I thought I'd solicit more opinions.)

Cyros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching some Whiskey Tribe and they're doing their top gift lists of whiskys. I don't know if I'll ever have enough of a palette to justify buying some Octomore and not having it be just a waste of money. Not that I think it'd be bad but that I just can't imagine ever having a refined enough taste to be able to distinguish varieties of peated whiskys.

What bottles are everyone going for as gifts this season? (I've seen a post or two but not a ton so I thought I'd solicit more opinions.)
A friend of mine just bought their mentor a bottle of the Macallan 18 Double Cask. I wish I had that kind of money, lol.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
taiwan_kav58.jpg

My go-to. The Soloist line are all good, but Fino is my favorite out of it. When I travel to Asia every year, I always make sure I have a layover in Taiwan just so I can get a bottle duty free. To buy one here in the states is close to $500 otherwise. Damn Covid, I miss my Kavalan.
I really enjoy their distillery. It's connected to the Mr Brown facility (another King Car brand), so the parking lot smells Irish coffee.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
When I first opened and tried some Eagle Rare 10 (my first bourbon) a few weeks ago I thought it was pretty bad, but I gave it another shot this week and I'm really liking the flavor a lot more now! I don't know if I got used to it and was able to discern the flavor better or just having it open for some time changed the flavor, but either way I'm quite happy with the purchase now.

Any suggestions for a cask-strength/barrel-proof bourbon under ~$75? I've heard Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is really good.

And I also received the Nikka from the Barrel - extremely tasty and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get a first taste of japanese whisky. Sorry I can't give any detailed tasting notes but I enjoyed the glass that I had. It's a higher %, I think around 51, but I didn't notice that at all compared to a 40-45% whisky.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just about to start my whisky journey, suddenly deciding that I'm at an age where I'd like to get a decent collection and enjoy on a somewhat regular basis. I've always been partial to a good scotch/bourbon so this thread popping up now is a blessing with many great suggestions.

I've enjoyed Glenmorangie in the past and also enjoyed the peaty taste of Lagavulin so I'd like to think there's a wide choice that I'd be ok with drinking out there. My wife's picked me up a bottle of Glen Moray 12 for Xmas so I can start off with something nice and accessible and my boss, who managed to drive up to Scotland and do a distillery tour around Islay/Jura etc. before lockdown hit suggested for me to pick up a bottle of Tamnavulin Speyside which I've not tried before but I trust his recommendation due to him providing the aforementioned Lagavulin.

Any tips for someone ready to dive into finding all about good scotch would be appreciated, and I'm already making a list of some of the YouTube channels people have posted up too - the more knowledge, the better!

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
All I got to say is fuck the whiskey hoarders in Ohio. I hate how they will line up at any liquor store and buy all the limited release ones even though they already have 6 bottles at home. I just want a bottle of Buffalo Trace and should not have to take a day off work just to get one and be at the store two hours before they open.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
When I first opened and tried some Eagle Rare 10 (my first bourbon) a few weeks ago I thought it was pretty bad, but I gave it another shot this week and I'm really liking the flavor a lot more now! I don't know if I got used to it and was able to discern the flavor better or just having it open for some time changed the flavor, but either way I'm quite happy with the purchase now.

Any suggestions for a cask-strength/barrel-proof bourbon under ~$75? I've heard Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is really good.

And I also received the Nikka from the Barrel - extremely tasty and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get a first taste of japanese whisky. Sorry I can't give any detailed tasting notes but I enjoyed the glass that I had. It's a higher %, I think around 51, but I didn't notice that at all compared to a 40-45% whisky.
Some stuff just gets better after it's been open for a bit, ya.

I'd recommend Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof. One of the best bargains in bourbon for cask strength. Don't let the fact that it's a Jack Daniels turn you away, it's great stuff. That Elijah Craig is excellent as well, but harder to find at the right prices.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Some stuff just gets better after it's been open for a bit, ya.

I'd recommend Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof. One of the best bargains in bourbon for cask strength. Don't let the fact that it's a Jack Daniels turn you away, it's great stuff. That Elijah Craig is excellent as well, but harder to find at the right prices.

I had the JD barrel proof on my radar, but I don't live in the US currently and the only shop I found it at is selling it for the equivalent of $90, which seems to be a pretty big increase from the standard price in the US.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I had the JD barrel proof on my radar, but I don't live in the US currently and the only shop I found it at is selling it for the equivalent of $90, which seems to be a pretty big increase from the standard price in the US.
Damn, ok, that kinda throws me for a loop as I really only know what US prices are.

If you can track that Elijah Craig down for a good price definitely do! Some others I like that are cask strength or close to it: Stagg Jr. (hard to find, though), Old Forester 1920, Belle Meade Cask Strength/Reserve, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Oct 26, 2017
I've added more than a few different bottles since trying the Deaston Virgin Oak:

Glen Moray 12 Years. I thought it was good. My friend who recommended it absolutely loves it though.

Aberfeldy 12 Years. Another recommendation from a friend. It's good. The packaging really stands out. Unlike the taste.

Aberlour 12 Years. Haven't opened the bottle as I only received it this past Christmas.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Friend gifted me a Makers Mark Bourbon for x-mas, its the one sealed with candle wax.

i have frankly no experience with bourbons, is it ok? i guess i find out tomorrow night :-)

bought a Tovess Islay, its the amazon brand. good taste but too weak with 40% abv, comes off as if someone put too much water in their whisky, an Islay dram needs more ABV for my taste. had a few Ardbeg Corrivreckan on x-mas too, stuff is soo good but a bit expensive.

I've added more than a few different bottles since trying the Deaston Virgin Oak:

Glen Moray 12 Years. I thought it was good. My friend who recommended it absolutely loves it though.

Aberfeldy 12 Years. Another recommendation from a friend. It's good. The packaging really stands out. Unlike the taste.

Aberlour 12 Years. Haven't opened the bottle as I only received it this past Christmas.

Aberlour 12 is great, very fruity. the A´bunadh is awesome from them (but they raised the prices this year unfortunately)

Glen Moray, remember this distillery, they make really affordable and very decent whiskies. some scots swear by it and say that the rest is just marketing stuff. (in fact much of the money you pay for high priced whiskies is because they have exorbitant marketing costs they try to make back)

the port cask finished one is really tasty as is the sherry finished one. the peated Glen Moray is some sort of secret tip for peatheads who don´t want to spend a fortune.

Aberfeldy 12 i was not a fan of tbh, has some notes that i don´t really like, overly grassy, erica notes and like some honey flavour without sugar.

i think i need to get another bottle of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte, its my favourite malt by far. 50% ABV so you can play with water and i love the liquoricey ammonium chloride taste of it. it is a masterclass of its own.

question: is anyone interested in some kind of monthly whisky news summary in this thread from 2021 forward? new releases, rumors, announcements and stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Friend gifted me a Makers Mark Bourbon for x-mas, its the one sealed with candle wax.

i have frankly no experience with bourbons, is it ok? i guess i find out tomorrow night :-)

bought a Tovess Islay, its the amazon brand. good taste but too weak with 40% abv, comes off as if someone put too much water in their whisky, an Islay dram needs more ABV for my taste. had a few Ardbeg Corrivreckan on x-mas too, stuff is soo good but a bit expensive.

Aberlour 12 is great, very fruity. the A´bunadh is awesome from them (but they raised the prices this year unfortunately)

Glen Moray, remember this distillery, they make really affordable and very decent whiskies. some scots swear by it and say that the rest is just marketing stuff. (in fact much of the money you pay for high priced whiskies is because they have exorbitant marketing costs they try to make back)

the port cask finished one is really tasty as is the sherry finished one. the peated Glen Moray is some sort of secret tip for peatheads who don´t want to spend a fortune.

Aberfeldy 12 i was not a fan of tbh, has some notes that i don´t really like, overly grassy, erica notes and like some honey flavour without sugar.

i think i need to get another bottle of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte, its my favourite malt by far. 50% ABV so you can play with water and i love the liquoricey ammonium chloride taste of it. it is a masterclass of its own.

question: is anyone interested in some kind of monthly whisky news summary in this thread from 2021 forward? new releases, rumors, announcements and stuff.
Thanks for your input! I tried to find the abunadh but the SAQ didn't have it when I last visited.

Do you have any recommendations for entry level Islay single malts?

I also got a bottles of Bulleit, 40 Creek, and Cutty Sark Prohibition. All solid imo. Especially 40 Creed which I feel is easily worth the 25 CAD asking price. Fair warning it is a Canadian whiskey so YMMV.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Thanks for your input! I tried to find the abunadh but the SAQ didn't have it when I last visited.

Do you have any recommendations for entry level Islay single malts?

I also got a bottles of Bulleit, 40 Creek, and Cutty Sark Prohibition. All solid imo. Especially 40 Creed which I feel is easily worth the 25 CAD asking price. Fair warning it is a Canadian whiskey so YMMV.

Bulleit is a bourbon, isn´t it? i don´t have experience with bourbons at all, i am more of a single malt scotch guy but i got a Makers Mark gifted for x-mas, will try this in the next days.

for entry level Islay, at first, Islay whiskies are a bit more expensive that the others. and i would really suggest jumping into the deep end with a Ardbeg 10 or a Laphroaig 10. these two are peak Islay, affordable and have that special something.

you will know if you like this stuff after 3 or 4 glasses, it will be quite a taste trip but i still remember having my first Ardbeg and it was like liquid smoke swamp water offering a wealth of tastes behind the punchy first impressions. Islay whisky is like high ester Jamaica Rum, either you love it or you hate it, it is intense.

Islay whiskies are my favourite. Bruichladdich Port Charlotte is killer, albeit a bit more pricey. Port Askaig is also good but very dry and has some distinct ash notes that is not everyones taste.

one of my favourite distillieries is Kilchoman, the Machir Bay is their standard expression which is supergreat too. they also have a sherry one, the Sanaig, which is like a fruity Machir Bay. they also have many annual special bottlings like Loch Gorm or 100% Islay.

Bunnahabhain Moine or Toiteach a Dha are great, but also not cheap. avoid the 12 yo Bunnahabhain as its one of the Islay whiskies thats not peaty or smoky, it is a great whisky but not a great distinctive Islay malt.

the cheaper ones would be Finlaggan and Ileach, from those two i would suggest the Finlaggan but imho they are not strong enough, Islay whiskies live and die from their ABV, not because of the bang but the alcohol transports the taste and you can play with drops of water if you like.

for a beginner a good one is Bowmore 12, it has distinct vanilla and fruit notes beneath the campfire taste but this one is much milder than Ardbeg and Laphroaig and also on the weak side of ABV. Laphroaig 10 is also weaker but it is so tasty that it is good as it is.

so, i would really go for one of the bit more pricier Islays at first to really experience what those whiskies are about. get an Ardbeg 10, a Laphroaig 10, Kilchoman Machir Bay or Bruichladdich Port Charlotte.

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel Proof and damn it some good whiskey. My bottle comes in at 128.3 proof.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Nice reading so much love for Japanese whiskeys, they're definitely get more love and for good reason. I would recommend the Nikka Coffey Malt it's such a unique whiskey,lovely fruit notes, not harsh at all. Great for sharing as most people don't expect the taste, so many of my fam+friends have only ever tried Jack Daniels, Jameson, Maker's.

With the holiday season and the weather getting colder I've just been following tons of Instagram whiskey accounts, trying to try as many as I can. Most recent pick up was a GlenDronach 15 Year Old 'Revival',heavily sherried, delicious . Between that and the Nikka Maly I have learned it's nice to have softer alternatives in the bar when you're not looking for peat bombs ( bless you Ardbeg and Port Charlotte)

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure that this is extraordinary, this is like an "for special reasons" kind of stuff, definitely not a "daily dram" :-)
For me spending $70 on whiskey is a lot for me. So I'm going to take my time with that one. I also have a bottle of Elijah Craig which is the 94 proof bottle.