• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
3.jpg

So, where are the whisky lovers? i enjoy a nice dram regularly. whisky is my favourite alcoholic drink.

What are your favourite brands? Do you have a whisky ritual? How often do you enjoy your whisky? Which whisky style do you like the most? How many whiskies have you tried?

i will start with my favourite:

ardbgeg-visit-whisky_0.png

i just love peaty stuff and Islay malts in general.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
Islay single malt scotch is my go-to, preferably Laphroaig. I'm a big fan of bourbon, too, but scotch is my favorite liquor by far.

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Scotch/whiskey/bourbon is pretty much the only alcohol I drink these days. Current favorites are Highland Park 12 and Aberlour 12 but I'm always looking for recommendations.

Last edited:

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Caol Ila is my favorite malt

I pick up a bottle of the 12 yr whenever I can find it for less than $70

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Caol Ila is my favorite malt

great choice, i really like the Caol Ila Moch. Interesting fact, Caol Ila distillery supplies the alcohol for Johnnie Walker blends...

Islay single malt scotch is my go-to, preferably Laphroaig. I'm a big fan of bourbon, too, but scotch is my favorite liquor by far.

I like the Quarter Cask, has the most bang for the buck

Caol Ila, Oban, and Lagavulin are also great choices. Great taste, folks!

Lagavulin 16 is my second favourite after Ardbeg 10. a bit pricey but outstanding flavour.

Last edited:

easter

Nov 15, 2017
I'm a Balvenie man but I dabble in all kinds of whisk(e)y. Typically have stayed away from heavy peat; someone ruined it for me by describing a dram I was having as bandaid flavor.

Looking forward to reading what others drink.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a bottle of Laphroaig waiting for me at home. I'll be tucking into it a little tonight.
Watching this thread as I know nothing about whiskey but want to get started.

The first one I bought which was recommended to me by someone on the staff was Glen Moray 12. Really mellow compared to some of the other stuff and was a good starting point for me years back.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lagavulin 16 is where it's at. Some Macallan 18 when I'm tired of the smokiness.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I'm a Balvenie man but I dabble in all kinds of whisk(e)y. Typically have stayed away from heavy peat; someone ruined it for me by describing a dram I was having as bandaid flavor.

Looking forward to reading what others drink.

Balvenie Doublewood is great :-)

i did the same mistake with staying away from Islay heavily peated malts for a long time but after i´ve tasted one it became my favourite style...i would suggest jumping into the deep end and buying a Laphroaig or Ardbeg...you will never forget your first glass because your senses are not prepared for that at all :-)

you will also know if you like that or not when drinking a quarter of a bottle. your senses will become accustomed after that experience or you will never drink it again. it is really like nothing else when first trying a heavily peated malt.

Lagavulin 16 is where it's at. Some Macallan 18 when I'm tired of the smokiness.

IdioticVengefulCondor-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When enjoying Highland Park 12 i would recommend an Oban 14 :-) a real classy malt
Yeah I've been meaning to try Oban for a while now. I've had Laphroaig and it's also great. Don't think I've tried the Ardbeg so that's getting put on the list.

Any bourbon recommendations? Good ones seem a lot more difficult to find than scotch. Haven't dabbled too far outside of Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yeah I've been meaning to try Oban for a while now. I've had Laphroaig and it's also great. Don't think I've tried the Ardbeg so that's getting put on the list.

Any bourbon recommendations? Good ones seem a lot more difficult to find than scotch. Haven't dabbled too that outside of Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve.

Start with the Ardbeg 10, the others are all very special(but supergreat if you like the main Ardbeg). the Uigeadail is just unique and with 54% ABV you can add water. Ardbeg 10 is the most rounded. also non chill filtered and no additional colouring at 46% ABV.

Bourbon i have absolutely no clue unfortunately, i also want to try a good bourbon but have no idea where to start

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017

Any bourbon recommendations? Good ones seem a lot more difficult to find than scotch. Haven't dabbled too that outside of Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve.
I always start folks with Maker's Mark, then progress to Maker's 46 to show the effect finishing staves can have on flavor. After that, it's all about how much you want to spend. Eagle Rare from Buffalo Trace distillery is excellent and can be had for around $35 depending on where you live. Blanton's, also from Buffalo Trace, is great, too, and you get fun pewter horses to collect. It's more expensive, around $60, and hard to find depending on where you live. Michter's is solid, and that's around $30. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, usually around $60, is as smooth and vanilla-flavored as they come, which is right up my alley. I had Jefferson's Aged at Sea (Voyage 17) ($70 near me) which tasted like scotch. Not a bad thing. I don't spend over $100 on bourbon, for better or worse, so I can't help you too much on the high end.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I always start folks with Maker's Mark, then progress to Maker's 46 to show the effect finishing staves can have on flavor. After that, it's all about how much you want to spend. Eagle Rare from Buffalo Trace distillery is excellent and can be had for around $35 depending on where you live. Blanton's, also from Buffalo Trace, is great, too, and you get fun pewter horses to collect. It's more expensive, around $60, and hard to find depending on where you live. Michter's is solid, and that's around $30. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, usually around $60, is as smooth and vanilla-flavored as they come, which is right up my alley. I had Jefferson's Aged at Sea (Voyage 17) ($70 near me) which tasted like scotch. Not a bad thing. I don't spend over $100 on bourbon, for better or worse, so I can't help you too much on the high end.

great! finally some bourbon recommendations i can add to my list.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
great! finally some bourbon recommendations i can add to my list.
I forgot to include Elijah Craig barrel proof in my list. You have to add water to that one since the first sip smacks you with the alcohol if you're not prepared. For reference, I believe the bottle I bought was around 63% ABV.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm going through my collection right now.
Talisker 18
Talisker 175 anniversary edition
Old Pulteney 17
Balvenie Portwood 21

Regular favorites are Lagavulin 16, Highland Park 18, Caol Illa 18. Millennials bought these up so they aren't readily available anymore. Or much pricier than they used to be.
I started the original single malt thread at neogaf circa 2005.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
1792 is definitely my favorite right now.

I recently tried eagle rare and I didn't like it too much, it's good for the price but a bit too sweet.

I been dying to try the McKenna 10 year anniversary but that's been constantly sold out in my area.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
I'm partial to Balvenie myself. Probably going to pick up a Lagavulin 16 in the near future as I quite enjoyed the Lagavulin 8.
Would love to try some Clynelish but it isn't available in Vancouver, at least as far as I've seen.

Need to pick up some Nikka from the Barrel too.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I forgot to include Elijah Craig barrel proof in my list. You have to add water to that one since the first sip smacks you with the alcohol if you're not prepared. For reference, I believe the bottle I bought was around 63% ABV.

that sounds good, i am generally a fan of cask strength/barrel proof.

i can also recommend Glenfarclas 105 as a nice Speyside cask strength

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
1792 is definitely my favorite right now.

I recently tried eagle rare and I didn't like it too much, it's good for the price but a bit too sweet.

I been dying to try the McKenna 10 year anniversary but that's been constantly sold out in my area.
1792 is a great choice at a good price. I finished a bottle of that off last weekend, actually.

Yeah, Eagle Rare is a little sweet but it pairs well with an ice cube that tones it down. I usually drink my whisky neat, but I break that rule for Eagle Rare.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Typical bourbons are too sweet for me. Also hate Macallan and Glenlivets.

For bourbon or american whiskey, these are good:

For Islay lovers:
High West Campfire
Balcones Brimstone

Those who like Speyside:
Van Brunt Stillhouse Single Malt
Defiant Rye Whiskey

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm actually one of those people that loves the "getting punched in the mouth" feeling of that first sip.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just remembered I had some Ardbeg Uigeadail recently at a whisky tasting night that was exceptional.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I went to a whisky festival a few weeks ago. You just walked around with your glass and guys from all the distilleries gave you some. All good stuff as well must have had 40 whiskies.

I like Islay the best, especially Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Lagavulin 16 is great. Laphroaig 10 is reasonably priced for a good solid one. Brunnahabhain is also delicious.

My very favorite I've ever had would be between the 2012 wine finished Kilchoman and Ardbeg Uigeadail.

I gravitate towards Islay stuff, but here are some I like from each region.
Campbeltown - Springbank
Highlands - Dalmore
Lowlands - Auchentoshan
Speyside - Macallan

I used to buy a bottle of scotch every couple months when I lived in Japan, because the prices were more affordable. Hardly buy any nowadays. In 2018, I got the drinks by the dram scotch advent calendar. I highly recommend it for someone wanting to try a lot of different stuff.

Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is probably the one I want to try most currently.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
Typical bourbons are too sweet for me. Also hate Macallan and Glenlivets.

For bourbon or american whiskey, these are good:

For Islay lovers:
High West Campfire
Balcones Brimstone

Those who like Speyside:
Van Brunt Stillhouse Single Malt
Defiant Rye Whiskey
I've heard very mixed things about Balcones Brimstone from my coworkers, but I really want to try it. I can't find it near where I live, though, but I keep any eye open when I travel for work.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually drink whiskey straight or on the rocks. I'm a simple man. I like Jack regular. For my fancier tastes I like Hibiki.
Lately I've been into putting a shot or two whiskey straight into hard cider- usually 1911 branded cider. The original or rose is best.

don't think I've drank too much malt

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I've heard very mixed things about Balcones Brimstone from my coworkers, but I really want to try it. I can't find it near where I live, though, but I keep any eye open when I travel for work.
So you have to find an old bottle basically, I'd say circa 2015/2016. As that's the good stuff. One of the partners threw out the main creative dude behind their good whiskeys, but continued to keep the same names.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Cragganmore 12 is also pretty good and surprisingly affordable. I used to buy a lot but mostly drink beer now so don't buy as much. Also drink more mezcal which is another rabbit hole and as good as single malts.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Cragganmore 12 is also pretty good and surprisingly affordable. I used to buy a lot but mostly drink beer now so don't buy as much. Also drink more mezcal which is another rabbit hole and as good as single malts.

have the Cragganmore 12 in my collection too, really great Speyside whisky, it is refreshing

i mean whisky is distilled beer more or less :-)

mezcal...i´ve tasted one homemade from mexico a few years ago and that stuff got my really drunk

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Would also love to get my hands on a bottle of Glendronach 15 Revival, I've heard nothing but good things. But again, not available where I am.

I think we have Glendronach 8 though.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Oban 14!
Currently in the process of branching out to nearby scotch around it (on the Single Malt Scotch Flavor Map).

Oban 14 can be a gateway to Islay if you like the smokey notes. you could start the Islay journey with Bruichladdich Classic Laddie or a Bunnahabhain 12 which are both not the typical Islays but have a distinct salty note...or jump into the really smokey and/or peaty end with Laphroaig, Ardbeg or Lagavulin

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Ah OP, I see you too are a man of culture.

Ardbeg is my top distillery. When I gave my wife her first Whisky it was Ardbeg Corryvreckan. She's hugely into peaty whiskys now.

Our honeymoon was in Scotland, with three nights on Islay during the Feis Ile. Hit every distillery up (we could the one that's not open yet too since we did stop at the building site), Ardbeg three times including the Open day and BBQ the night before. Had an amazing time. There are direct flights from Boston to Edinburg now and we keep talking about hitting up the festival again.

Kilchoman was probably the big surprise for us - wonderful distillery, great whiskys, though sometimes tricky to find.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
For those who haven't been initiated, a word of warning: You might not want to start with Laphroig, unless you really, really, want to know what it's like to drink a barbecue.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Not big into the peat. I have one bottle each of Dalwhinnie 15 and Jefferson's Reserve to see me through this pandemic.

I make myself a double on the rocks, err rock (one big crystal clear cube) about 2 times a week.

OP
OP
Dphex

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Ah OP, I see you too are a man of culture.

Ardbeg is my top distillery. When I gave my wife her first Whisky it was Ardbeg Corryvreckan. She's hugely into peaty whiskys now.

Our honeymoon was in Scotland, with three nights on Islay during the Feis Ile. Hit every distillery up (we could the one that's not open yet too since we did stop at the building site), Ardbeg three times including the Open day and BBQ the night before. Had an amazing time. There are direct flights from Boston to Edinburg now and we keep talking about hitting up the festival again.

Kilchoman was probably the big surprise for us - wonderful distillery, great whiskys, though sometimes tricky to find.

that is a wife to keep for sure, Corryvreckan is not for the faint hearted :-)

yep, Kilchoman is supergood and will be even more recommended in the coming years when they have older whiskies considering they opened shop mid 2000s.

and Ardbeg is my absolute favourite, i just like the heavy peaty flavour which tastes like a fruity mouthful of swampwater :-) sounds disgusting but it tastes sooo good

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Never really got into Dalmore or Oban as much, for me a bit bitter after taste. A personal thing as they are both very popular.

Mezcal....I mean, its a different discussion and don't wanna derail. Basically you have the agave cultivars growing in the wild regions...and the artisanal nature of manufacture, harvesting, steaming for days then distilled. You get amazing smokiness and due to the terroir brine and minerals. Amazingly complex flavor profile. It just hasn't caught on historically, but now it is catching on. Mezcals are very expensive though, as it's a labor intensive, manual process. I highly recommend venturing into that for any whiskey fans.