• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
consequenceofsound.net

Skillet frontman compares Grammys to Hitler, condemns Cardi B's performance

Skillet frontman John Cooper has condemed Cardi B's "WAP" performance at the 2021 Grammys and compared the awards show to a Hitler speech.

These people have lost their fucking minds.

Skillet-John-Cooper-Cardi-B.jpg

"We're living in a world right now where there are certain Dr. Seuss books that you cannot sell on eBay," Cooper said on his "Cooper Stuff" video podcast (as transcribed by Blabbermouth). "They are just too much for anybody to even be allowed to buy; they're being yanked down from all the bookstores and stuff like that. It's just too much; it's too evil. … But you can, and must, applaud the sexual degradation of Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion simulating sex together on the Grammys. This is the perfect example. You must celebrate it. In fact, if you don't celebrate it, then you're actually a bad person, and you kind of, like, don't love people. You're actually not nice."

"Why would anybody ever call evil good and good evil? It's simple: because they just redefine the terms," Cooper said. "The question is, who is going to define what is good, and who is gonna define what is evil? Every dictator in history says that what they were doing was good. That's what they believe. If you go back and you read some of Hitler's speeches, he's, like, 'I'm gonna set people free — free from the bondage of the Ten Commandments.' In his mind, he's a liberator. It's always like that, you guys. All you do is you just redefine evil and you redefine good. That's what's happening right now on the Grammys."

Back in January, he blasted Twitter's censorship of Donald Trump following the storming of the Capitol. Yet, his ire toward the Grammys sounds a lot like a call for censorship (CBS did edit certain lines out of the "WAP" performance).

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You can sell & buy those books on eBay tho.

Fucking dumbass for even another reason.

This guy talks like an elementary school buffoon.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Man I haven't thought about skillet for like 15 years.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
lol I remember when these dudes were in a ton of AMVs in the late 00s.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Yeah...Skillet was the first band I really wanted to see live, and then did. They opened for Creed and it was great.

They're pretty shit now and have been since Trump was elected. It sucks.

May 26, 2018
Ah, yes. Hitler. His main opponent, the Bible.

Of course, that's what Catholics do, don't they? Those PAPISTS!

boy I'm just riding a rollercoaster of these hardcore american emotions, my next gaslighting target shall be myself and my journey will be complete

Oct 25, 2017
There's an article every day about this moron at shitty Blabbermouth.

It's just for clicks as no one gives a fuck about his band.

It's a drama website now, posting both sides to get reactions.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Unsurprisingly, the whitesand men are mad at another women.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
"Why would anybody ever call evil good and good evil? It's simple: because they just redefine the terms," Cooper said. "The question is, who is going to define what is good, and who is gonna define what is evil? Every dictator in history says that what they were doing was good. That's what they believe. If you go back and you read some of Hitler's speeches, he's, like, 'I'm gonna set people free — free from the bondage of the Ten Commandments.' In his mind, he's a liberator. It's always like that, you guys. All you do is you just redefine evil and you redefine good. That's what's happening right now on the Grammys."

If he wants to "redifine" what is "evil" and what is "good, he can start with his own flock.

Do not stand in others houses and demand them to be clean, when your own is a pigsty.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Never knew WAP was capable of making people want to exterminate people. But go off.

they truly have lost their minds lmao.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Bigot White dudes see some brown cakes and lose their mind

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing Evangelical Christians are experts on its the speeches of Hitler.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully P.O.D. is still cool. I was never into Skillet but I was big into Christian rock back in the day. I'm still Christian but it's really disappointing to see so many bigots preaching hate in the name of Jesus.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, the band responsible for the current WWE Raw theme knows a thing or two about music, we should probably listen to this man.

snowflake bitch cry some more

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
It's a shame that religious people and right-wingers have because associated with opposing this objectification, because it means people on the left and those who are not religious find it hard to speak out against it.

It is one thing to claim that it is an expression of female sexuality, it is another to recognize the misogyny in the fact that it is only women and never men who are sexualized like this. If you want to express sexuality, then at least do that instead of pandering to the male gaze and to male sensitivities.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First the sexy ladies grind on each other, then they round up all the Jews to murder them. Everyone knows that's how it goes.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
"Why would anybody ever call evil good and good evil? It's simple: because they just redefine the terms," Cooper said. "The question is, who is going to define what is good, and who is gonna define what is evil?
So close to getting it.
I mean, someone is doing this. Just not the group of people he seems to think.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's a shame that religious people and right-wingers have because associated with opposing this objectification, because it means people on the left and those who are not religious find it hard to speak out against it.

It is one thing to claim that it is an expression of female sexuality, it is another to recognize the misogyny in the fact that it is only women and never men who are sexualized like this. If you want to express sexuality, then at least do that instead of pandering to the male gaze and to male sensitivities.

Or Cardi B can just do what she wants to do. It's not her fault or her problem to address the gender disparity in open displays of sexuality.

Besides, anyone who has followed Cardi for years knows that this is exactly who she is. She doesn't put on a front, which is a huge part of her appeal.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Going off the good, and evil quote, I wouldn't be surprised if he is into the Qanon stuff. I bet he believes democrats eat babies too.

These people are nuts.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah...Skillet was the first band I really wanted to see live, and then did. They opened for Creed and it was great.

They're pretty shit now and have been since Trump was elected. It sucks.

I had no idea about all of this, very disappointing. I saw them live at a festival one time and it was great. Havent listened to them in a long time though.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
User Banned (3 Months): Concern Trolling Around Feminism; Prior Bans for Similar Posting Behaviour
Or Cardi B can just do what she wants to do. It's not her fault or her problem to address the gender disparity in open displays of sexuality.

Besides, anyone who has followed Cardi for years knows that this is exactly who she is. She doesn't put on a front, which is a huge part of her appeal.

It is not just the disparity, it is also how it is done. When male performers express sexuality, they do it from a male perspective. When female performers want to express sexuality, they also do it from a male perspective. It's not just about one or two female performers, it's about the whole culture. Women should not have to think about their sexuality from exclusively male perspectives.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
WAP will go down as one of the most landmark songs of this decade, and it really shouldn't

It's a fine song but there's nothing so raunchy about it that should elevate it above songs released twenty, thirty years ago. I guess I'll be naive but it's still puzzling to me why people are still triggered by this song a year later.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It is not just the disparity, it is also how it is done. When male performers express sexuality, they do it from a male perspective. When female performers want to express sexuality, they also do it from a male perspective. It's not just about one or two female performers, it's about the whole culture. Women should not have to think about their sexuality from exclusively male perspectives.

None of this makes sense.

Cardi and Megan made their own decisions to do this. They are expressing themselves the way they want to and many women are thankful for it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Women should not have to think about their sexuality from exclusively male perspectives.

I mean, the larger point of what you're saying isn't wrong. Women shouldn't be confined to only expressing their sexuality in a manner that's appeasing to men, and men should be freer to express their sexuality (AND femininity) in ways that aren't "approved" by toxic masculinity bullshit. I will agree there.

It's just, with these two performers specifically, I don't know if it's an argument that fits them. They've both been quite outspoken in women expressing their femininity and sexuality as loudly and audaciously as they want, regardless of what men think. Megan Thee Stallion in particular led a whole movement specifically on this that dominated Summer 2019 (Hot Girl Summer).

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that no, you don't have to like the song. You don't have to care about it at all. You can, in fact, literally hate it. Thing is, they keep making the WORST comparisons & acting like Cardi choosing to do her own song is especially degenerate compared to literally all the stuff that came before.

Def not, but there *could* be a conversation about what women feel like they're expected to do.

The "Bodak Yellow" rapper believes the raunchy talk is what the audience is responding to from artists at the moment. "It seems that's what people want to hear," she explained. "When I did 'Be Careful,' people we're talking mad shit in the beginning. If that's what people ain't trying to hear, then alright, I'm gonna go rap about my p---y again."

I'm sure she found WAP fun just like anything else, and it's not NOT her. Question is if she feels like anything else she makes isn't gonna hit aa hard.

And then also if that's something to talk about at all. Like, is it important to talk about it?

Probably better to just - as she says - support women who aren't singing about that stuff too, instead of coming for her.

Ultimately, this is the messiest conversation to have. And I def don't have an answer to it.

But a lot of the imagery for these songs is catering to the male gaze, sure - and the one that are not - maybe even more queer-friendly like Janelle Monae vids at times - simply don't blow up as hard.

It's a long-ass conversation about what constitutes empowerment & what doesn't, abd it is so very different from the type of objectification we talk about elsewhere.

But it's also for someone else to have, probably.

Last edited:

Smitington

Oct 27, 2017
Denver
Saw this earlier, possibly applies?

en.m.wikipedia.org

Godwin's law - Wikipedia

Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely. That is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds, the point at which usually dampens discussion.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
None of this makes sense.

Cardi and Megan made their own decisions to do this. They are expressing themselves the way they want to and many women are thankful for it.
In a male dominated society, there would be pressure to do it in a manner that appeases men. If the female performers were objectifying and sexualizing men, then I couldn't really make that argument. Do you really think that these female performers could get away with sexualizing men in the same manner? If they couldn't, then how can you say that they are performing in a manner which is without restrictions?

To me it is not at all obvious that female performers are expressing themselves without restrictions.