• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Edited the OP, but the context of this is London's Notting Hill Carnival, which can be argued for as cultural celebration, but equally as white people cultural appropriating.
Ok, but how do you distinguish one from the other? If they're celebrating the culture, surely they want to participate in it? And I guess that includes hairstyle and wardrobe and all that stuff.
So how do you celebrate and at the same time, not appropriate it?
What is she doing in that photo that says "cultural appropriation" instead of "cultural celebration"?

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Chances are she's not in Jamaica but is celebrating what would be the time of the Notting Hill Carnival in London. Her dressing like this would not be at all out of place for that event.

If this is as you say: Notting Hill Carnival per Wikipidia
This huge street festival attracts around one million people every year to Notting Hill and highlights Caribbean and black diasporic cultures. Carnival uses influences from many other festivals around the world.

Now I'm really not seeing why what's she's wearing is inappropriate. Some of ya are acting like she's in blackface or something.

I'm talking about other posters, not you gerg.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
the black british people on my timeline are saying it is celebration - if you come along to the carnival you best celebrate 'our way' is the vibe I'm getting.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
It's a struggle look, but I'm happy she's happy.

Too much going on for me to be concerned

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I looked at the picture for a good minute even through the OP change and I can't find the issue. Someone tell me so I dont make the same mistake in my personal life.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I mean she looks a bit like Cynthia from Rugrats but I don't see a major issue. I'm black but not Jamaican so maybe someone from that community can explain since the OP is pretty sparse.
a69bce282471005bc696d81c45836bff--rugrats-posts.jpg

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
This just strikes me as outrage for the sake of outrage. We have much more important things to get upset over.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been to the Notting Hill Carnival myself - would most people who attend (or even specifically most BAME people who attend) the Carnival be upset by this?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Those are choices

But this is a "I got jokes" situation.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
I've never been to the Notting Hill Carnival myself, but would most people who attend (or even specifically most BAME people who attend) the Carnival be upset by this?

Not from the actual black british people I know and follow. Unlike some of these americans judging other cultures without context

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
People finding reasons to be outraged, nothing else.

I don't give a fuck if others want to live that type of negative life on social media.. it's one of the main reasons I stay away from social media.

But since Era started in 2017, some have brought that social media vibe to the forum CONSTANTLY.

Maybe we can have a different section dedicated for it? Or it should be part of Hangouts?

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify my earlier post, I don't see an issue with this (though I'm generally not a fan of white people wearing traditionally black hairstyles) but I was sharing the things that could be seen as appropriation.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
After absorbing the context of the celebration I have determined:

"Who gives a shit"

hehe

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never been to the Notting Hill Carnival myself - would most people who attend (or even specifically most BAME people who attend) the Carnival be upset by this?

I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid to be honest, it's a celebration, you often see videos of police dancing to reggae there etc

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Love the Yikes with no explanation from the OP. Ok, it's Adele. Thanks for showing us her?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think we need a new rule that "I saw a social media post I don't like" isn't enough basis for a thread

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Literally no one would be upset by this in the slightest.
Not from the actual black british people I know and follow. Unlike some of these americans judging other cultures without context

Perhaps future feedback will show me to be wrong, but that's what I had thought. This seems to be the case of social media removing something from its very UK-specific context (and London-specific context at that).

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
It's ... Notting Hill Carnival ... online ... during corona.

And it's not appropriation.

She's not adopting the culture into a new context that reduces or insults another culture.

She is absorbing herself in the culture in the ACTUALLY APPROPRIATE SETTING.

Holy fuck.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I'm only peripherally aware of the Carnival and hadn't clocked that context before posting. I personally feel this is technically appropriation within a very specific context in which it is encouraged. It is not my place as a white British citizen to take a moral stance on this, and given the fact there is a specific context here that is a broader matter than Adele's post, I'm requesting a lock to this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
The only "yikes" in the situation is that I don't think white girls can pull off the look.

On topic: I think it's dope she's joining the celebration of Caribbean culture for an appropriate event/cause.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm only peripherally aware of the Carnival and hadn't clocked that context before posting. I personally feel this is technically appropriation within a very specific context in which it is encouraged. It is not my place as a white British citizen to take a moral stance on this, and given the fact there is a specific context here that is a broader matter than Adele's post, I'm requesting a lock to this thread.
You should go to carnival the next time it's live =D

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe do the tiniest amount of research on context before posting intentionally inflammatory threads?

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're British and only peripherally aware of the Notting Hill Carnival? Jesus. I can't fathom how someone seemingly so disinterested in learning the first thing about the caribbean culture all around them could feel qualified to speak for us.

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
I guess I'm with the others in asking... What is wrong with the picture? Is OP or twitter just trying to be offended because......?

Again, forgive me if I'm missing something but I'm lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.