• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

SINGAPORE - In an epic win for the video gaming and esports scene here, Singapore will play host to the first Asian edition of the world's largest gaming festival, gamescom.
Fans and enthusiasts will not have long to wait, as the four-day gamescom asia will be held from Oct 15 to 18 next year.
It will consist of a two-day industry gaming conference and a three-day trade and public exhibition, including esports events, a showcase of emerging technologies in video games, as well as gaming workshops, meet-and-greet sessions and cosplay theatrics.
On Wednesday (May 29), a memorandum of understanding was signed between the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) and gamescom organiser Koelnmesse, to mark their new partnership for the upcoming festival.
gamescom, which has been held in Cologne in Germany yearly since 2009, is one of the highlights of the gaming world.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty damn cool, but I fear the crowd's going to be just as insane as the one in Germany.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Singapore one of the most expensive places on earth when it comes to accommodation, food, etc? A week-long trip is gonna cost, what, north of $2k? Nope.
Should have gone with Dubai or something.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The founder of GameStart and gaming marketing firm Eliphant, Ms Elicia Lee, said: "GameStart will now be handing over the reins to gamescom asia, and (we) look forward to work ng closely with Koelnmesse Singapore to build on the current gaming community that GameStart has established over the years.

This paragraph suggest that this is an on-going annual thing rather than an one time off.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I attended gamestart. This make me interested to take a look at it again.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Singapore one of the most expensive places on earth when it comes to accommodation, food, etc? A week-long trip is gonna cost, what, north of $2k? Nope.

If you want to stay in a nice, international brand hotel, maybe. There are boutique hotels and cheaper shared options. Food prices are reasonable at most food centers (Not more than us$5 for a single meal) unless you want to hit the bars and restaurants. The most you're gonna pay for is the air tickets depending on where you fly from, and if you're already in the region there's a ton of budget flight options.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017

Not at all Singapore has plenty of budget options and food is incredibly cheap if you stick to local food, transportation is cheap and convenient also.

Really happy about this news will be fun to attent.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No not true. More like USD$1100 for a week if you're using public transport and sleeps in a moderate hotel

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's considered expensive because most list assume you purchase private property and own a car, which most people don't. Cars for example cost about 5 times more than what it would cost in the US.
Public transport is cheap here. If you only take public transport and no cabs, it shouldn't be more than 10 USD per day.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I hope it's not just a rebranded Gamestart taking advantage of the Gamescom branding to make it feel more relevant. The important thing to look out for before getting excited is the event lineup. Fingers crossed.
Not at all. Singapore can be a really cheap place to visit or really expensive depending on your needs and preferences. The high cost of living here has more to do with limited housing and heavy taxes for car ownership. Not stuff that would affect tourists and short term visitors. You can get great food at low prices, and public transportation is efficient and reasonable. Easily comparable with Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
"Gamescom Singapore" certainly sounds exciting but that press release really gives me the feeling that this will be very different from Gamescom proper or E3, with more mentions of eSports and cosplay etc. I can totally see this turns out to be more about these plus mobile F2P, MOBA, MMO and stuffs, which is honestly what most people think about "gaming" in Asia. I mean, I have nothing against those but they certainly aren't what that interests me most.

Still, I will probably go if I'm not overseas during that period of time because why not, but I will seriously tamper my expectations.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Yay it's at suntec
Managing director of Koelnmesse Singapore, Mr Mathias Kuepper told reporters on Wednesday that gamescom asia will be held at the Suntec Singapore Convention and Exhibition Centre.

Edit: sorry for double post

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Lol if someone couldn't manage to keep a week long trip under $2000 if they needed to, then that's a problem with them not a problem with Singapore.

I was there for 2 weeks, did all the touristy shit every day and ate very well, and it barely hit 2K. Transport is so cheap it's almost free and food is like every city, priced fine if you don't hit up hotel restaurants.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
They tried this a number of years ago when Gamescom was still based in Leipzig. Will be interesting to see whether it catches this time.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017

Amanobuff

Oct 28, 2017
Singapore
Amazing news!

Time to plan my MCs....ahem, I mean my annual leave....

People thinking queues will be as bad as Germany have NO IDEA. It's gonna be insane here.

Exaggeration is a thing. Most people don't bat an eyelid at a gay couple here. Mostly old conservatives holding back actually changing the law. It's not being enforced at all.

[snip..]

Completely seconded. This is a huge exaggeration. 2 of my best friends are a gay couple and they couldn't be happier living here. They only had some issues when buying a HDB (housing).

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
"Gamescom Singapore" certainly sounds exciting but that press release really gives me the feeling that this will be very different from Gamescom proper or E3, with more mentions of eSports and cosplay etc. I can totally see this turns out to be more about these plus mobile F2P, MOBA, MMO and stuffs, which is honestly what most people think about "gaming" in Asia. I mean, I have nothing against those but they certainly aren't what that interests me most.

Still, I will probably go if I'm not overseas during that period of time because why not, but I will seriously tamper my expectations.

I wouldn't be surprise if that's the case. My experience though Thailand Game Show has been nothing but PC and mobile games. (Thankfully Sony and Bandai Namco has a booth there now which spice things up a bit since they represent console/VR side which is really lacking in the event.)