• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
2016. Oh yeah. The year Sing Street came out!

Ah. What is so special about fledgling romance? About people we over-mythologize? About music?

Well, it's all the same. That's one argument. The same lock and step, rhyme and reason, re-skinned for each subsequent starry-eyed generation to follow. The same foundation, cliche, and eventual subversion, imitation, reiteration/adoption. As a work, Sing Street makes itself no stranger to convention, to the day in day out of its vehicular reality-flippant genre. What it has is director John Carney's ligament. That it prevails with leaving you affected in some way lends substance to that flimsy anatomical sinew. A touching, cool, tongue-in-cheek (but not insufferably so) take on the young musician pursuing his dream in the face of love at first sight, half literally, upheld by a colorful ensemble and a shower of catchy, simple, 80s-style original music. Befitting, sure, that it's period; it's equal parts nostalgic and a self-assured re-skin of what's come before, even the the director's last and freshly superior doozy, Once.

But it might at least get a smirk out of that Mary.

Dec 2, 2017
I love sing street so much and I'm still annoyed it never got a wider release outside Netflix not in Ireland or a bigger marketing campaign.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i enjoyed the movie when i was browsing netflix. actually sometimes go back and watch it when i have nothing to watch.

Oct 26, 2017
Really good film. Though the ending makes me think they most probably didn't end up making it (fame/musically I mean).

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
This movie is so fantastic. Definitely my favorite film of 2016. We will listen to the soundtrack quite frequently.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
This movie is pure charm through and through. Love the older brothers performance too.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Lucy Boynton was really quite something in this. The soundtrack was top notch too.

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
I love this film so charming and feel good.

I've always had a soft spot for musicals and this has become an instant classics for me.

Still play the songs from time to time and have introduced the film to countless friends who have also loved it.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
The brother is the heart of the film. Even the ending makes sure his presence is felt when they follow the larger boat to seek refuge from the waves, echoing his emotional outburst from earlier in the film.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I saw this film at a sneak preview before it came out.. there was like 14 of us in the theatre.

It is an incredibly underrated Gem, and I tell everyone I can to watch it when the subject of feel-good musical oriented film comes up.

So good.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've done a Broadway stage adaptation, it sounds weird because the new actors have American accents

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I love this movie so much. Can't help but cry and smile like an idiot. "Drive it like you stole it" is a total jam.

May 24, 2019
I was kinda over the director making the same sorta movie three times in a row when this came out.

edit: Apparently not three in a row. There was something called Zonad after Once. I don't think that one was about starting a band.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
hey i love this movie so much!

the ending is so beautiful. the brother! that character kills me.

thanks for posting about this. the movie is so earnest and sweet and i think everybody should watch it.