• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Sex Worker Exclusionary Radical Feminist

I actually didn't know this myself, thank you.

Though question: does one still qualify as a SWERF if they hate sex work in general and not sex workers themselves? Since Sinfest's flavor is very much in that anti-sex "all prostitutes are victims of systemic sexism" sort of line.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Am I missing something? Why would anyone want to be labeled a TERF. It has exclusionary in the name. Thats not really a badge of honor I would think you would want to wear unless you're like a nazi or something.

Because some fucks really hate trans people.
And most of society seems fine with it.

Obligatory: trans rights are human rights. Fuck TERFs.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes, TERFS are totally a prosecuted group in the U.S totally comparable to the RedScare....

Fuck TERFS

robox

Nov 10, 2017
thanks for the context explanations.
terfs and swerfs seem really regressive form of feminism. i understand there are many flavours of feminism, but in my mind, progress is to be more inclusive

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted for the record that Sinfest was completely different 10 years ago. This hardline "feminist" slant only really started around 2011 and Ishida's only dug deeper into this pit since.

Oh I think I may have heard about this.

Is this the person who made comic where a girl on a tricycle is neo or some shit?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted for the record that Sinfest was completely different 10 years ago. This hardline "feminist" slant only really started around 2011 and Ishida's only dug deeper into this pit since.
I read and liked the webcomic in its early years. I stopped reading all webcomics shortly after, and was totally unaware that this slide even happened.

I'm still very surprised the webcomic has taken the direction it did. Came out of nowhere.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I think I may have heard about this.

Is this the person who made comic where a girl on a tricycle is neo or some shit?

Oh yes.

Sinfest_Xanthe_Justice_83.PNG

She's essentially the harbinger of Sinfest's sudden descent into shit-ass "feminism" and is basically the embodiment of said "feminism".

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
This man's fall has been confusing and weird and I used to love his comic but that was ages and ages ago.
I couldn't even understand what he was trying to do when he first went off into left field, and I couldn't bear to give him any more attention.

basically to people who never heard of him, he wrote some cute dog and cat comics back in the early days of "mainstream" webcomics. Also Sinfest when he couldn't keep that up.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
terfs and swerfs seem really regressive form of feminism.
They are regressive form of "feminism". Expecially the "gender fluidity is just a trap to better subjugate man men and enslave women" variety that Ishida seems to believe.
By the way, I don't think that are trans women in the comic, only "genderfluid" men.
I remember people thought he was pulling a gag the first few months.
Considering the glacially pacing, it could seem plausible - even if Sinfest is updated every day, for all the year!

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
The only good thing about people self describing at TERFs is it takes ammunition away from the people who claim that it's a sexist slur to shut down discussion and act victimised by the awful transes.

It's a perfectly accurate descriptor and one originated from TERFs themselves. They can all get fucked to hell.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, LICD did a complete face-turn quite a few years ago (pretty much coinciding with the writer getting married and having kids). While I wouldn't go out of my to recommend it, it indeed has become relatively inoffensive.
I just checked and read the last few comics and wow yeah it is suuuper toned down from how it started. Yet the logo still has the condom over the i lmao

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
TERF = Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist.

Basically they espouse that trans-women are not women because the were born men and should be excluded from any womens rights. It's basically a round-about way for """"progressive"""" people to be transphobic and sexist as fuck.

Also, I have no idea who this person is.

Thank you I was confused as fuck.

On a sad note. This perfectly describes a friend of mine. She's horrible anti-trans and I can't for the life of me figure out why. She is Black, borderline radical leftiest in every other sense. Except for this one weird blind-spot.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

On a sad note. This perfectly describes a friend of mine. She's horrible anti-trans and I can't for the life of me figure out why. She is Black, borderline radical leftiest in every other sense. Except for this one weird blind-spot.

Yea, that's kinda what a TERF is. Less of a blind spot, more of a feature. It's a fundamental view of how they see trans/non-binary people, and less of a "they just don't understand"

Wtf that doesn't even make sense what the fuck goes on these people's heads

They hate trans/non-binary people

That about sums it up

Resurgam

Jun 23, 2018
I read Sinfest for years myself and stopped when it turned into however you want to define the current mess it is.

I think part of the confusion is that the writer is very private Ishida doesn't really engage with fans, people on social media, or really give interviews. I think I've seen like one picture of the guy and its from the late 1990s when he worked for Darkhorse Comics. So the only real window you get into his worldview is his work which went completely and very suddenly off the rails.

It came out of nowhere going from a mostly lighthearted kinda sorta liberal-leaning work to really extreme TERF/SWERF anyone who disagrees with my worldview is an enemy. There was an in-between period where he made fun of some of his really old work for being insensitive which seemed to hint at self-reflection but then he fell down a hole into well where he's currently at.

One thing I've always found odd is Ishida isn't that old I think he's in his late 30s but his worldview comes across as old fashioned and out of time given his age. But then again he did make an Iraq War reference in like 2012 so maybe the guy's massively out of touch in addition to being hateful and bigoted.

Yes, it comes from Radical Feminism. That "radical" comes from the grammatical sense of the word, as in "they focus on the fem part of the feminism

It is a subset of the second wave feminism. Basically what feminism was 50 years ago

I knew what the r in terf stood for but I have never seen rad used in that context, more in a burn the patriarchy one but if you say terfs identify with it I will start putting more attention.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

actually it is not rare for terfs to also be biphobic, against sexual workers and even racist. So if you look depper maybe she might have gotten more than one blind spot =P

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I used to read sinfest daily a decade ago, but the more the tone shift the less interesting it became. Now it's got so many characters and such a different tone that it's unrecognizable.

Toss in the terf stuff and well, I dropped it some time ago and have no plans to ever pick it up again.