• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to LRG, it seems like they're pushing a new game almost everyday now, getting way too many emails about way too many games. Their newsletter has become so annoying with aggressive emailing.

"GAME GONNA BE AVAILABLE SOON BUCKLE UP!"

12 hours later

"GAME ON SALE NOW!"

12 hours later

"BUY 2ND BATCH NOW BEFORE YOU CANT"

2 days later

"LOL WE ACTUALLY HAD A FEW MORE IN OUR DEPOT AND THEY GO ON SALE NOW!"

Wasn't a problem when they did a few releases, but now almost everyday I get a new mail about another edition of another batch of another release WTF? Why they continue calling themselves LRG considering how many games they release, and games like Streets of Rage 4 are getting regular physical releases anyway? Also when did they start doing pre-orders, I remember back when they were new they didn't wanna do it because the waiting time would be too long.

Used to be fun when they weren't doing every indie game under the sun.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
When were they not a regular publisher? For the most part they kept their premise of bringing digital only games to physical and making those runs limited. They have never done a second run of any game.

Sometimes because of limited quantities or a limited time to pre-order.

bstiernberg

Oct 30, 2017
They are called Limited Run because the runs they do are limited. Yes, they take open preorders, but once that run is done, they're done. The dev or publisher is free to go and do more runs with other companies or themselves, as long as there are at least some variation in the retail/physical packaging or contents, like an exclusive cover variant.

When a game goes up for sale that is not open preorder, usually like ones they do distribution for, they have a limited set quantity. Instead of screwing over one time zone or another, they split the quantities in half and put one half up and another half up twelve-ish hours later, and they remind people of this so they won't miss out. It's to be fair and give people more than one shot at the limited stuff.

Sometimes their only truly limited releases are strictly for big CE editions and the regular retail releases are just the game in the regular game case, so there's still value there for some.

Lastly they aren't doing every indie under the sun? They do games they like and think are a good fit. They also do distribution of other games from other companies sometimes.

Lastly part 2: they are a regular publisher and have been for a while. They ported and released Cosmic Star Heroine on the Nintendo eShop! And they were awesome to work with.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
There's always extra copies of any limited release, for returns/replacements/promos. That's not LRG trying to trick the customers.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They're in big box retail now as well.

More props to them. I'm a digital-only guy, but I appreciate the need they are catering to.

Solid company, IMO.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I stopped buying from them when they started offering more copies of a previously sold out game with a alternative cover. It kind of of defeats the limited aspect when they decide they can release another edition whenever they feel like it. I would have an issue with if if they mentioned in the original listing that the game would get another future edition with a new cover. Also, all the Star Wars crap getting reprinted seems like a huge cash grab especially when 95% of the CEs are a ripoff.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I think there's something to the idea that they probably did push it too far and started releasing too many games. Almost everyone I know who had an interest in Limited Run no longer does, and the culprit is universally that they just release too many games to keep up on. It definitely seems like they're completionist/whale hunting, at this point.

That said, I can't blame them for wanting to grow their business and releasing product that there is a clear market for. That just seems to be the way that these things go. Like Funko Pops.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is not a collector per se, but just wants physical versions of games, LRG is perfect for me. I get physical versions of games that have no other chance of being physical.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I stopped buying from them when they started offering more copies of a previously sold out game with a alternative cover. It kind of of defeats the limited aspect when they decide they can release another edition whenever they feel like it. I would have an issue with if if they mentioned in the original listing that the game would get another future edition with a new cover.

If you're talking about the Best Buy versions, they do mention that those can happen. If a game will go there they will have a notice saying that they've received an order from the company.

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think there's something to the idea that they probably did push it too far and started releasing too many games. Almost everyone I know who had an interest in Limited Run no longer does, and the culprit is universally that they just release too many games to keep up on. It definitely seems like they're completionist/whale hunting, at this point.

That said, I can't blame them for wanting to grow their business and releasing product that there is a clear market for. That just seems to be the way that these things go. Like Funko Pops.

I started trying to collect every Vita game they put out but gave up once they started publishing so many games. I only get the ones I'm interested now and ignore the rest.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Just unsubscribe from their mailing list? You don't have to buy/be interested in everything they release.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
If you're talking about the Best Buy versions, they do mention that those can happen. If a game will go there they will have a notice saying that they've received an order from the company.
Not the Best Buy versions. It happened with Curse of the Moon and River City Girls where they released event exclusive editions after the normal runs were long sold out.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not the Best Buy versions. It happened with Curse of the Moon and River City Girls where they released event exclusive editions after the normal runs were long sold out.

Ah, okay. I don't follow them super closely anymore and didn't know that. I'm not into the collectible part of this but I can see why that would bother people who are.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
Why they continue calling themselves LRG considering how many games they release, and games like Streets of Rage 4 are getting regular physical releases anyway?
This is off your main topic, but is Streets of Rage 4 confirmed to be getting a regular retail release? I'd much rather grab a copy at Best Buy than directly through LRG.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Companies evolve.

old.jpg

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is also a variant for the Star War games they just sold yesterday

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is off your main topic, but is Streets of Rage 4 confirmed to be getting a regular retail release? I'd much rather grab a copy at Best Buy than directly through LRG.
As of today, no. However they announced indigo prophecy getting a BBY version close to the closing date