• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think companies should try to do something unique. Going head to head with Smash is not a wise idea.

Going head to head with street fighter 2 copying it's basic mechanics is what gave us basically the entire fighting genre as we know it

It is hard to beat it, but c'mon! Street fighter sold 1/3 of smash sales there is a market for AA+ smash clones even if only outside of nintendo platforms

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A 3rd party disney licensed game would do really well.

Microsoft probably will run into the same lack of IP power issues. Yes, they have the IP numbers. But most people won't know who half of them are. You can argue the same for a lot of Nintendo's characters but they also have the benefit of the characters being familiar not only from their original games, but from other nintendo cast games like the sports titles and kart.

I've literally never played a Kirby game and recognize the character only from other nintendo cast games.

It would need to be a third party game with licensed characters.

But I 100% want more smash clones. I hate normal fighting games but I LOVE smash's fighting system. I just don't have a nintendo so I feel left out.

OP
OP

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was being lazy. I meant just compared to other games with similar rosters, class systems and powers etc, which are mostly mobas, it would be the most recognisable cast.

Everyone knows Overwatch is an RPG.
Pretty sure Overwatch is a Metroidvania roguelite card game.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
220px-Fighters_Megamix_Coverart.png

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Smash is pretty firmly in "if you can't beat them, join them" territory now.

Yeah, it's not really so much of a version of something else as it is entirely its own all encompassing thing now, especially when it comes to its reach with IP's. In style, scope, and gameplay I don't think you could 100% match it in all 3 without seeming derivative or nonsensical, though maybe I lack imagination. The only thing that comes close is MvC.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going head to head with street fighter 2 copying it's basic mechanics is what gave us basically the entire fighting genre as we know it

It is hard to beat it, but c'mon! Street fighter sold 1/3 of smash sales there is a market for AA+ smash clones even if only outside of nintendo platforms

Fair point, but at the same time trying to do something different than the style SF2 built is what gave us Smash Bros in the first place. In my opinion, I think more companies should try taking Sakurai's original approach. Bring something unique to the fighting game genre, or hell make a different genre all together. Then throw your characters into it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Fair point, but at the same time trying to do something different than the style SF2 built is what gave us Smash Bros in the first place. In my opinion, I think more companies should try taking Sakurai's original approach. Bring something unique to the fighting game genre, or hell make a different genre all together. Then throw your characters into it.

yeah ... except smash does not have it's own Mortal Kombat or King of Fighters or Samurai Shodown or Fatal Fury or Guilty Gear

Hell it barelly have it's World Heroes, Power Instinc, Breaker's Revenge or TMNT Tournament Fighters =P

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah ... except smash does not have it's own Mortal Kombat or King of Fighters or Samurai Shodown or Fatal Fury or Guilty Gear

Hell it barelly have it's World Heroes, Power Instinc, Breaker's Revenge or TMNT Tournament Fighters =P

If someone could take the Smash formula and do something really cool with, like those games did with SF, of course I would be down. It's just a shame it hasn't happened yet.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
As it stands now and in its current form, nothing can take on Smash. It's just not possible. Smash Ultimate has an objectively legendary fighting game roster that, truth be told, will probably never be topped by any other game -- unless Sakurai makes an Ultimate 2, which he has already said on multiple occasions is most likely impossible.

To my mind, the only developers who have a stable of characters both large and beloved enough to even attempt this are Capcom and Square Enix -- perhaps Bandai Namco -- and even they'd come up very short in comparison to everything Ultimate's roster represents. Smash now lets you play a match with Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man vs. Pac-Man vs. Cloud vs. Simon Belmont vs. Snake vs. Banjo-Kazooie, not to mention everyone else in the roster. No competitor of Smash's will ever be able to achieve this. Game, set, match.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
As it stands now and in its current form, nothing can take on Smash. It's just not possible. Smash Ultimate has an objectively legendary fighting game roster that, truth be told, will probably never be topped by any other game -- unless Sakurai makes an Ultimate 2, which he has already said on multiple occasions is most likely impossible.

To my mind, the only developers who have a stable of characters both large and beloved enough to even attempt this are Capcom and Square Enix -- perhaps Bandai Namco -- and even they'd come up very short in comparison to everything Ultimate's roster represents. Smash now lets you play a match with Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man vs. Pac-Man vs. Cloud vs. Simon Belmont vs. Snake vs. Banjo-Kazooie, not to mention everyone else in the roster. No competitor of Smash's will ever be able to achieve this. Game, set, match.

Dunno about "never be topped by any other game" Its all a matter of budget. Technically other Japanese devs like Capcom or Bamco could also work out deals with other companies to build up an equally legendary roster. I feel like PS All Star had a lot of potential but it feels like Sony just low balled the budget. They should have worked with way more developers to get a lot more 3rd party characters in. PS brand was originally built on 3rd party games after all.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Dunno about "never be topped by any other game" Its all a matter of budget. Technically other Japanese devs like Capcom or Bamco could also work out deals with other companies to build up an equally legendary roster. I feel like PS All Star had a lot of potential but it feels like Sony just low balled the budget. They should have worked with way more developers to get a lot more 3rd party characters in. PS brand was originally built on 3rd party games after all.

I don't know. I highly doubt we'll ever see a roster even close to what Ultimate represents again unless Sakurai is able to make what he says is the impossible happen and just keep building onto the existing roster with an Ultimate 2. I'm honestly not sure there's anyone else in the industry who has the connections, pull, and influence Sakurai does to get even half of the third-party characters represented in Smash. Any prospective contender would also have to do without any of Nintendo's characters, which is also a huge part of Smash's draw and appeal.

Sony made an honest go at it, but they blew it (in part because they, as you said, lowballed the budget). They even had the advantage of releasing right in the middle of the long, Smash-less lull between Brawl and Smash 4, and they still blew it. I really don't think anything is ever going to be able to top Ultimate's roster. Just seems impossible to me.

Oct 27, 2017
The only way I could see a competitor working is to have a wholly original cast like in the vein of Overwatch.

In fact Overwatch may be a better fighting game than an FPS, given the properties and powersets of their characters.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Capcom off the top if my head
Sega off the top of my head

Almost every single game you mentioned in this post has exactly zero characters that most gamers today would recognize. Sad, but true.
That is the biggest difference between Nintendo and Sega/Capcom/whoever. Casual passersby know who Kirby is, who Yoshi is...many even recognize Isabelle or Fox McCloud. Most people have no clue who Opa-Opa or NiGHTS or Ryo Hazuki or Claire Redfield or Frank West or SonSon are.

It really doesn't matter how many IPs you can name...Nintendo has more popular, recognizable characters.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Almost every single game you mentioned in this post has exactly zero characters that most gamers today would recognize. Sad, but true.
That is the biggest difference between Nintendo and Sega/Capcom/whoever. Casual passersby know who Kirby is, who Yoshi is...many even recognize Isabelle or Fox McCloud. Most people have no clue who Opa-Opa or NiGHTS or Ryo Hazuki or Claire Redfield or Frank West or SonSon are.

It really doesn't matter how many IPs you can name...Nintendo has more popular, recognizable characters.
Read my original comment which that guy replied to

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like people only recognize half the IPs in Smash because of Smash itself. Outside of their big IPs like Pokemon,Mario and Zelda. The other classic IPs have all been sel
Easily...

619ZVJV345L.jpg

They have way more properties than Nintendo as well...

Bamco even own the same dev team that made Ultimate , so they definitely have some good experience in the genre.

The question is will Bamco invest in a high budget Jump Smash clone ? Or will they just try to milk with something shitty like Jump Force.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Bamco even own the same dev team that made Ultimate , so they definitely have some good experience in the genre.

The question is will Bamco invest in a high budget Jump Smash clone ? Or will they just try to milk with something shitty like Jump Force.

The funny thing is that Ms Marvel on Marvel Ultimate Alliance is basically luffy moveset in Jump Ultimate Stars xD

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
You guys act like most people know the characters from Smash. Smash is great because it's a party game, most people only know Pikachu and Mario.
All the other "smash-clones" have failed (failed is a loose term) because of gameplay, not characters. Heck, you could change the entire roster of SSB ultimate to be Playstation only or Xbox only and I bet people would still love it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

That only have 2 franchises =P

Pocket Fighter had more (SF, Darkstalkers and Red Earth officially but more like mega man and resident evil if count cameos) AND was released one generation before Onimusha Blade Warriors

To be fair while it was heavily into casual friendly gameplay, it was not a platform fighter since it was released before smash bros so the genre only had outfoxies and NOBODY played outfoxies =P

OP
OP

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Settle it in PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale" just doesn't have the same ring to it tbh.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Song and Microsoft don't have the IP to reach those levels.

Now Publishers on the other hand, do.

WB could make a pretty cool fighting game utilizing their IP's. MK, DC, Harry Potter, Looney Tunes, Matrix, Mad Max, Blade Runner, Horror (Freddy/Jason), etc.

Disney could do a pretty good one to. Marvel, Mickey Mouse characters, Pixar movies, Animated Originals, Star Wars, Avatar, etc.

I think the only thing to get to that level in terms of hype would be Marvel vs DC. Honestly, I really hope that comes to fruition at some point.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

Oh man. Imagine Geno gets added to Super Square Fighters and not Smash

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a question of whether anyone's willing to put the kind of money in that Smash gets. Which probably isn't going to happen because a lot of that comes down to inertia from the series existing in the first place.

Square Enix at least seems like it would have the most consistent roster to do a huge crossover with, but they already have Dissidia for all their Final Fantasy characters who would make a bulk of the roster.