• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I am just wanting Disney Plus and VUDU to offer 4k Streaming with Atmos. They dont allow either on a PS4 Pro, and it is just crazy. Why cant I stream them in 4k on a PS4 Pro? I can Netflix!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This is yet another reason I felt safe to get the PS5 DE. If I decide to pick up some 4K Blu-ray's, id rather have a dedicated player anyway.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
It is not very smart at all; blu-ray is a waste and bad for the environment. Content providers should be required by law to offer 100mbit digital versions of their content. My phone supports dolby vision; why build dedicated machines when your tv is perfectly capable of playing back the content by itself anyway.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
This dude has a good explanation about what could be the reason if the xsx only were to support DV for streaming

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it: you're either casual enough that you're ok just streaming stuff, or you're enough of an enthusiast that you obviously want a decent dedicated player. Consoles have never included players worth using.

Nah. I think the pure availability of DV or no DV is a much more significant difference in general image quality than the difference of a, say, PS4 Bluray Player compared to a dedicated Bluray Player. I'm sure the same will be true for UHD players versus consoles if all standards (such as DV) were the same.

I've never bought a dedicated DVD, BR or UHD player cause I never cared or noticed a significant jump in quality when watching some place else. I'm not an enthusiast in that regard. But enthusiast is relative. I'm enthusiastic enough about picture quality though to pay for Netflix 4k HDR option which already probably 90% of consumers don't care about. And I love that bump in picture quality it gives even though it's just a streamed source which can't compete with a disc.

I wanted to finally buy some UHD discs of my own once the PS5 arrives, which means I'm enthusiastic enough to pay around 20 to 30€ for a single film just because I want to see the difference in quality compared to 4k HDR streaming. I also am enthusiastic enough that I got a 65" OLED which, again, most people playing on these next gen consoles don't care about.

And yet I'm really bummed about the lack of DV on these consoles! I disagree that enthusiasts would buy a dedicated player anyway, what makes an enthusiast really just depends on who you ask. Most people in my family think my setup is crazy already while I'm thinking I'm a scrub for not making room for a 7.1 setup and don't even own a PC.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
This really depends on how much you care about 4k movie playback quality. The PS5/XSX will get the job done, but there are far better UHD players out there. For me personally, I have a home theater setup and noticed better audio and video quality with a standalone player, but I am fairly picky when it comes to these things. YMMV

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I think a dedicated disc player is always preferable to using a console - save wear and tear on your laser which will always have a limited lifespan.

Dedicated playback devices will always be easier to replace. The worst feeling is owning a home console that gives you disc read errors after the generation is over and it's out of production.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have well over 200 UHD discs, an amazing 7.1 setup, LG C9, etc. I am never going to get a dedicated player unless I have to, I am all about having the least amount of devices hooked up as possible. The slight difference I may notice from a dedicated player (and it is slight) isn't worth the cost nor the space used. But if at least one of the consoles doesn't get DV playback I will be forced to get one and that pisses me off.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have a question on this, if a movie (Into the Spider-Verse) has DV but the PS5/Xbox can't do DV, will it then just change to HDR or does it not work like that? Seems weird Sony are releasing these UHD discs with DV with PS5 plastered all over them but the PS5 itself not actually able to use the DV.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have a question on this, if a movie (Into the Spider-Verse) has DV but the PS5/Xbox can't do DV, will it then just change to HDR or does it not work like that? Seems weird Sony are releasing these UHD discs with DV with PS5 plastered all over them but the PS5 itself not actually able to use the DV.

Yes it will just show HDR instead.

There's probably a good chance both consoles will support DV with a firmware update at some point.

I think this will be the usual case of because it's not been announced right away people are going into panic mode and it will all be for nothing when they add in DV support.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If you are that serious about movies a dedicated player is always the way to go.
Into the spider verse doesnt have Dolby Vision. Its just HDR.
www.blu-ray.com

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K Blu-ray (PS5 4K Movie Essentials)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K Blu-ray Release Date December 1, 2020 (PS5 4K Movie Essentials). Blu-ray reviews, news, specs, ratings, screenshots. Cheap Blu-ray movies and deals.

good way to see what movies are tech wise, there are a lot of movies that are upscaled to 4k vs native and other fun technical quirks.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
This really depends on how much you care about 4k movie playback quality. The PS5/XSX will get the job done, but there are far better UHD players out there. For me personally, I have a home theater setup and noticed better audio and video quality with a standalone player, but I am fairly picky when it comes to these things. YMMV

Let's say XsX supported DV. What would make other players "far better"?

If you are that serious about movies a dedicated player is always the way to go.

Into the spider verse doesnt have Dolby Vision. Its just HDR.

Why? What are the advantages to the quality of playback?

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
The Xbox One X after a few updates was a pretty decent option even for enthusiasts. They had some black crush issues in the beginning; I am a nerd about things being locked to 23.976p and so on and I couldnt justify getting an Oppo etc over just sticking with the One X in my receiver based Atmos setup. of course, it also helped that I have an Apple TV 4k to play blu ray rips etc

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am used to watching HDR 10 content on my KS8000 on vudu and x1x UHDs and recently bought a tv that supports Dolby Vision and I cant tell the difference between the dolby vision vudu content and the UHD HDR10 content. the UHD's are slightly sharper but that's about it. I wouldnt spent hundreds of dollars on a UHD player just for DB.

I think great soundbars with eArc support and rear speakers make for far more of an immersive experience.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Why? What are the advantages to the quality of playback?
Yeah Better image processing,upscaling of older movie formats,audio processing and more range of HDR support. This has always been a thing in the HT space Even when PS3 dropped with blu-ray it was a great price but some had better features at the 1000 dollar range in the beginning but it was best bang for your buck.

I have well over 200 UHD discs, an amazing 7.1 setup, LG C9, etc. I am never going to get a dedicated player unless I have to, I am all about having the least amount of devices hooked up as possible. The slight difference I may notice from a dedicated player (and it is slight) isn't worth the cost nor the space used. But if at least one of the consoles doesn't get DV playback I will be forced to get one and that pisses me off.
Yeah you honestly wont as a baseline Image quality but HT nerds will spend whatever for the best of the best lol. When people care more about streaming low bitrate UHD vs the source material you can see how niche it really is, even if the HDR does add a good punch to the pictures. Its still lower bitrate but they are getting closer in quality(streaming vs physical) enough where avg people wont notice. But I see all the macro blocking from streaming and it drives me nuts esp in dark scenes its the most noticeable.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Better image processing,upscaling of older movie formats,audio processing and more range of HDR support. This has always been a thing in the HT space Even when PS3 dropped with blu-ray it was a great price but some had better features at the 1000 dollar range in the beginning but it was best bang for your buck.

Older content looks great on the LG OLED I use. The TV seems to do a fantastic job no matter what I throw at it from whatever source. Hard to imagine a different player making much difference.

"Image processing" is so vague to me, care to elaborate?

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Sony 4k blu ray players do DV (granted half assed) so why wouldnt the PS5 support it?

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Older content looks great on the LG OLED I use. The TV seems to do a fantastic job no matter what I throw at it from whatever source. Hard to imagine a different player making much difference.

"Image processing" is so vague to me, care to elaborate?
The differences in image processing shows in motion, in dark scenes , color repoduction etc thats where differences lie not only in the panels, processing on a TV, on a blu-ray player or processing through your reciever there are tons of options and they vary there are slight nuances you can see when you have things side by side but barring anything too crazy the gains for most people are negligible at best Imo but a lot of HT folks do swear by it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The differences in image processing shows in motion, in dark scenes , color repoduction etc thats where differences lie not only in the panels, processing on a TV, on a blu-ray player or processing through your reciever there are tons of options and they vary there are slight nuances you can see when you have things side by side but barring anything too crazy the gains for most people are negligible at best Imo but a lot of HT folks do swear by it.

Thanks.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Yes 100% if you plan on buying 4k Blu-Rays

Dolby Vision has been very widely adopted by movies

It may not be a huge difference, but is definitely worth it if you are seriously interested in 4k Blu Rays

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah after a certain point if you dont know what to look for you aren't going to tell. But for a simple comparison go into a store and stand the distance you plan to sit from the tv, put the tvs in standard vs their vivid modes to get at least some idea of how the tvs look. Like there are pretty much tiers of tvs and some companies will emphasize one thing over another etc but end of the day is personal preference.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Kodi supported on XSX? If so, could you burn your disks to a PC and then stream them using Kodi? Would that support DV?

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
A dedicated device will always be better than a multi-function device. Take a DSLR vs an iPhone, for example.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I feel like others already answered, but just to reiterate there are differences in video and audio processing that crazy videophiles care about. My projector doesn't support DV, yet I won't play UHD movies on my X1X because my standalone player does a better job. Note that my wife and family cannot tell; I know I'm a crazy person in this regard.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, head over to AVSForum and start reading. Or don't? Actually don't, you'll be happier that way, lol.

Edit: it probably won't even matter for many setups. For context, I use a Sony 675es projector, Sony 1100es reciever, a Klipsch 5.2.2 audio setup, shooting to a 138" 2:35:1 screen. Using a smaller tv and/or streamlined audio setup likely negates the gains from a standalone UHD player.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I picked up a Sony X700 player yesterday because of this. It's on sale for $150 at Best Buy right now. Kinda weird setup that you have to manually let DV work then when you do everything is DV, even discs that don't have it. So I just have to remember to check each disc before starting.
Another positive is I finally got Fury Road atmos to work. Never got it to work off Xbox.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that sucks. I was really waiting for the PS5 to see the beauty of my CX. I do have an Apple TV and it looks great. Would the PS5 still show a better picture than streaming?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think this is a bit overblown. Dolby Vision can look better than HDR10, but it's never been a night and day difference, and most of you wouldn't know the difference unless you had 2 TVs running side by side.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Dolby Vision is great on OLEDs compared to regular HDR but few discs supported it till now. But but, LOTR 4k does and the Series X not having DV is a big bummer. I hope they add an option to have users license it for themselves
RE: BOLD/ITALICIZED
Check out this Blu-Ray.com forum post. That's not my definition of "few."

Do many movies come in DV?
See above.

I would NEVER use a console to play UHD's, or any physical media for that matter. For UHD's I have a Panasonic UB820EB hooked into a Sony DN1080 receiver.
With that 4K UHD Blu-Ray player you'd have to be insane to choose a console over it! That's a fantastic player in this post-Oppo era.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
How do you guys juggle between your game tv display settings and watching a 4k HDR movie on your console with the same settings?

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I use a Harmony Hub to automatically change inputs, picture settings, etc for me when going between games and movies.
Nice I didnt realize the hub could do that. So Xb1 plugged into HDMI one with game settings enabled to play games, when you want to watch a 4k HDR movie, the hub can change those game settings into "movie" settings Without having to switch inputs or anything? If that's the case I might have to look into that. I have a harmony 700 which has still been great.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Nice I didnt realize the hub could do that. So Xb1 plugged into HDMI one with game settings enabled to play games, when you want to watch a 4k HDR movie, the hub can change those game settings into "movie" settings Without having to switch inputs or anything? If that's the case I might have to look into that. I have a harmony 700 which has still been great.
I use a standalone UHD player for movies, but actually still use my XB1 cable passthrough. I have the harmony change picture settings / etc for me; either though a button press on the app or via Alexa. I normally just yell at Alexa, and then the Hamony Hub takes it from there, anything from turning off lights, changing inputs, changing picture settings, etc. These are all things I have programmed as "Activities" so that hot swapping is fast and I don't have to grab a remote/etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony 4k blu ray players do DV (granted half assed) so why wouldnt the PS5 support it?

The scale of the products are different, putting specific DV hardware in and/or paying for licensing for DV is a very different proposition when you are talking about UHD players that will sell in relatively smaller amounts.

With PS5 you are talking about something that is going to sell in the 10's of millions and only a small fraction of people are going to notice or care if you cut costs on a UHD playback feature.