• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I've been researching about this topic for the last couple of days and I see Series X is only getting DV with streaming like the Xbox One X currently has. I'm assuming the same for ps5. I have a one x currently but everyone hypes up DV so I'm wondering if I should take the plunge. I'm about to upgrade to a lg cx as well.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
If there's support for Dolby Vision in streaming, then I assume there is no hardware limitation preventing extending support to Blurays, is there?

I'd say if it's not being supported by your chosen console, complain and see if they'll add support down the line first.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Honestly, I used it until I got an av unit that doesn't support it, so can't now. And I don't miss it. It's good, but not a game changer.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Honestly, I used it until I got an av unit that doesn't support it, so can't now. And I don't miss it. It's good, but not a game changer.

For me it absolutely is. DV is the absolute best for the sole reason of having it's own "Dynamic Tone Mapping" solution integrated, which makes every movie look phenomenal. While UHD without DV can look incredibly washed out and greyish because they don't have this and you shouldn't use the TV DTM in general so you're stuck with a greyish washed out picture.

If both consoles are still not supporting it then I'll probably buy a standalone that can.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's support for Dolby Vision in streaming, then I assume there is no hardware limitation preventing extending support to Blurays, is there?

I'd say if it's not being supported by your chosen console, complain and see if they'll add support down the line first.
My guess is streaming and uhd playback DV have different licenses, maybe the streaming service itself like Netflix pays in part for the DV support on console's app.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Good question, it would be a shame if the new consoles don't support it. If it's licencing, then they could at least let the end user buy a licence like Atmos for Headphones on Xbox One.

DV is one of the reasons I've drifted away from physical UHD towards Apple TV.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
DV may come as a Firmware update but a 4k disc with DV will still give you HDR10 (as DV is an extension of HDR10) if the player or TV doesn't support DV.

A dedicated 4k player is a good option if you have a good TV and surround setup though and watch a lot of movies of course, as a good 4k player will be better than the PS5 and Series X.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Dolby Vision is amazing. I'm honestly surprised it isn't being used in games yet.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm really wanting to find this out. I saw some places mentioning that XSX doesn't support DV for Blu-ray, though does have it for gaming.
I'm yet to see any concrete evidence for PS5, and looks like OP is just hypothesizing on this one.
Anyone know for certain?

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I would wait until the units are in people's hands without embargo before buying anything extra. I'm then going to wait a bit longer to see what happens if it's not there - maybe it'll be patched in later.

I still have my ks8000, which doesn't have DV, so have time to burn. someone on the other locked thread said they honestly didn't see a huge difference between HDR10 and DV, so that's promising.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is that so?! I didn't know, that fucking sucks! DV is so good (better than standard HDR), maked no sense they don't support it, especially when we play 100€ more on the PS5..

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it: you're either casual enough that you're ok just streaming stuff, or you're enough of an enthusiast that you obviously want a decent dedicated player. Consoles have never included players worth using.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Can't you wait a few weeks and find out if either console manufacturer will announce future support?

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Yeah I'm really wanting to find this out. I saw some places mentioning that XSX doesn't support DV for Blu-ray, though does have it for gaming.
I'm yet to see any concrete evidence for PS5, and looks like OP is just hypothesizing on this one.
Anyone know for certain?
Yeah im just assuming about ps5. The kits the press have received for series x say uhd playback isn't supported just streaming.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I would wait until the units are in people's hands without embargo before buying anything extra. I'm then going to wait a bit longer to see what happens if it's not there - maybe it'll be patched in later.

I still have my ks8000, which doesn't have DV, so have time to burn. someone on the other locked thread said they honestly didn't see a huge difference between HDR10 and DV, so that's promising.
I think i might wait as well especially if it gets patches in i just want some thoughts about it lol. I have a shitty tv right now for hdr content js7000 so anything will be a upgrade at this point 😆

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I've just upgraded to an LG CX so I was really hoping PS5 would support DV for UHD Blu-rays, Hopefully we get definite confirmation soon.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it: you're either casual enough that you're ok just streaming stuff, or you're enough of an enthusiast that you obviously want a decent dedicated player. Consoles have never included players worth using.
that last bit isn't really true, the xbox one x was fine as a 4K UHD player when discs were mostly HDR10.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
See I'm definitely a casual in this but I'm trying to become an enthusiast lol. That's why I'm trying to get the best tv on the market. I have a pretty large 4k blu ray collection as well now. I didn't realize disney movies didn't support DV on disc.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Dolby Vision is great on OLEDs compared to regular HDR but few discs supported it till now. But but, LOTR 4k does and the Series X not having DV is a big bummer. I hope they add an option to have users license it for themselves

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing there's embargoes on the UHD playback currently? I need to know, as freeing up a HDMI and retiring my Sony 4k player would be good.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Since Dolby Vision on Xbox is already supported for streaming movies/shows for years, they could just update the Blu-Ray app (if they want and/or if the DV Blu-Ray market will increase compared to now).
As Microsoft is introducing Dolby Vision games for the first time on consoles in 2021, I think a Blu-Ray app update is even more possible around the same timeframe.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
my iPhone 12 Pro has dolby vision and there is barely a difference between my non dolby vision OLED, if anything, when viewing dolby vision content

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Sadly, 4k UHD media looks like it is floundering. I am big advocate of discs over streaming, but the mainstream take up is no where near the levels of DVD > blu ray.

Enthusiasts and audiophiles see (and hear) the value. And, if you are an enthusiast, the Console 4k players won't be best suited to playback anyway.

That said - it seems like a strange omission when the hardware should be able to support it.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a bluray drive for my PC. Rip the discs to a nas, watch it on nvidia shield.

IMO the consoles get too hot/loud for media playback over the last two gens

groovyalex391

May 7, 2020
See I'm definitely a casual in this but I'm trying to become an enthusiast lol. That's why I'm trying to get the best tv on the market. I have a pretty large 4k blu ray collection as well now. I didn't realize disney movies didn't support DV on disc.
Disney is one of the worst for home media releases sadly (which sucks because they're sitting on a massive Fox catalog now that's just collecting dust). Disney used to support DV on discs then stopped suddenly. The Last Jedi's original 4k release had DV then when it got rereleased with the entire saga in 4K, they removed it...puzzling as hell.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've been researching about this topic for the last couple of days and I see Series X is only getting DV with streaming like the Xbox One X currently has. I'm assuming the same for ps5. I have a one x currently but everyone hypes up DV so I'm wondering if I should take the plunge. I'm about to upgrade to a lg cx as well.

It's an expensive purchase to make, the good DV capable players are several hundred $.
I'd get the display calibrated first before trying to eek out image quality from hardware players.

I'd check to see how many movies you want want to buy on disc support DV also. It's not available as widespread as people make out.

The consoles probably won't support the particular flavour of DV that discs use for a while.
Dolby Vision is a platform made of numerous flavours; there are some new features coming to HDMI 2.1a that may open some doors to software based playback.

Last edited:

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I would NEVER use a console to play UHD's, or any physical media for that matter. For UHD's I have a Panasonic UB820EB hooked into a Sony DN1080 receiver.

The Azn One

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You know since physical Sony films in 4K have DV, they would think PS5 would be DV enabled for disc movies. Luckly I have my standalone 4k player I got 2 years ago. Still running new as of today. It's an LG-UBK90.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm at the point where I would love to see a double blind test, HDR10 vs DV.

It's minor.

I doubt anybody is going to see the difference between itctp and ycc 420 on an uncalibrated consumer display.

Beyond that you are simply saying I prefer the way Dolby compressed the highlights and colours more than how how Sony/LG/Samsung do it

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
If you're getting an LG CX then I'd say it's worth it. I went for the Panasonic UB820 player
I've been on the fence about buying this machine for several months. Is it essentially the same machine on the inside as the much more expensive model?
Also I guess that a £300 uhd player will have better software/post processing jazziness than the blu ray player on a game console, judging from the price alone.

I've watched plenty of Dolby Vision content via streaming. As well as regular 10 bit HDR films with crazy high bitrate (the shining in 4k was insane) - I've never watched one thing and thought it was particularly worse/better than the other. Until HDTV Test can properly review the new consoles. I'm definitely going to hold off!

It's funny, Vincent from hdtvtest lives/works pretty close to where I live. Shame he doesn't calibrate anymore. Would be pretty sick to have him round :D