• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best WipEout game?

• WipEout

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • 2097 / XL / 64

Votes: 52 24.4%

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • Fusion

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Pure / Pulse

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • HD Fury

Votes: 90 42.3%

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
With Liverpool gone and Omega Collection seemingly not doing amazing numbers, WipEout's future is quite uncertain. While I'm a believer in a new game being made to show off the PS5's speed, the best thing people could do now is assume that WipEout is gone. So it's probably fair to ask, "out of all the WipEout games released, which was the best one?". Here's my top 3:

--------------------------------------------------
3- WipEout 2097
latest
latest
latest

Hating a game only to love it later is a thing that hasn't really happened to me much, and the truth is that the first time I played this game, I hated it. The dark graphics and scary, heavy music coupled with unconventional gameplay made for an experience that kid me did not like at all. It wasn't until I played it again, a few years later, that the atmosphere and physics just "clicked", and suddenly I was racing in an almost trance-like state through dark pathways, nailing every corner, all to the beat of heavy electronic music. WipEout 2097 is one of the best and most influential racing games ever, and what it did to solidifying videogames as a whole as a serious medium can't be overstated.

My only real gripes with the game are that it's not as stylish as WipEout 3 or the later games, and that while the dark tracks are atmospheric, it can be a little dull-looking at times. It's still a game that holds up wonderfully today, though.

2- WipEout 3

latest
latest

WipEout 3 is pretty much perfect for what it's trying to do. Not only does it fix all of the problems I had with 2097 by having a great variety of tracks, they went all out on style with some of the best ship design in the entire series. OST-wise it's also better than 2097 in my opinion, and content-wise with the Special Edition it's the classic WipEout game with the most content, for a PlayStation game it's super impressive how much content they crammed into a disc. In terms of gameplay it also benefits from being the third entry in the same formula, making it super polished with a bit of extra depth and strategy in play thanks to the hyper-thrust, just like 2097 it holds up very well nowadays.

1- WipEout HD Fury

latest
latest
latest
latest

WipEout HD felt like a game from the future. The generational jump between Pulse on the PS2 and HD on the PS3 was simply unbelievable; I've never owned a PS3, so I could only play it sporadically, but every time I tried it somehow managed to look better than the previous time. The smooth 60FPS, the depth of the gameplay, the incredible graphics, the stylish UI, the music, it's like gaming ecstacy. Add on the Fury expansion, and now you have the WipEout game with the most content ever, the best ship designs in the series (imo), and this bangin' Main Menu theme:

Watching someone nail HD Fury is beautiful. It's like if an arcade racer and a sim racer had a kid, there is simply so much stuff to keep track of gameplay-wise:

It's a huge shame that Liverpool got killed before they could top this on the PS4. I can't even imagine what crazy track ideas they could've come up with or how mind-meltingly insane the game would've looked. But oh well, I'm still keeping up hopes that it someday can be revived.

So, Era, what's your favorite WipEout game? Are you keeping up hopes that a new one could happen?

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It has to be 2097.

www.youtube.com

Wipeout 2097 Intro

Intro to the seminal Wipeout 2097 by Psygnosis (aka Wipeout XL in the US), published by Sony for the original Playstation in 1996.http://www.mobygames.com/ga...

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
Wipeout 3 is my favorite of the holy PSX trinity, but I would say HD Fury is probably the clearest, best realized version of the series' ethos and intent thus far. It's a game from 2008 and it still feels like something from the future. Truly amazing stuff, and pretty gutted that we're likely not going to see a new entry going forward.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
I've only played the Omega collection, but 2048 is so far above the other two games for me, it's not even funny. The other two games included there have pretty garish and linear track and UI design and the ships feel a bit boring to control; meanwhile, 2048's tracks are incredibly beautiful and very interesting and fun to race in, and the aircrafts feel unbelievably good. I'm actually confused by this because I must be missing something -- to me it feels like a genuine 10/10 paired up with two 6/10's.

But eh, I'm happy enough with just 2048. The A+ challenges provide some of the best thrills you can get in any game.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Omega which has HD Fury and 2048 is a fantastic steal!

The first game is great but it's nowhere nearly as refined as the successors. Outside of Fusion I love the entire series and highly recommend anyone play them!

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Wip3out by a country mile. It had everything I wanted in a WipeOut game, great tracks, wonderful ship design, and an OST that slaps, even a good portion of it was done by one artist (Sasha).

Jan 19, 2018
So, the real answer to this is Omega Collection since it has 2048 in high resolution with a proper controller.
If that doesn't count, well, it's still 2048.

Regardless, this is a series where even the worst game (Fusion) is still pretty amazing. I really hope we get a proper new Wipeout someday.
Note: VR is NOT a new game... it's still the same tracks and ships. I need new tracks!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Having played them all, the one I've enjoyed the most was wip3out. Uploading your times on wipeoutzone.com and "competing" with people around the world was almost like a glimpse into the future (yeah I know that plenty of online leaderboards must have already existed at the time for PC games but we didn't have such things on consoles yet).

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The best overall for me is HD Fury. Specifically the HD part. Didn't enjoy the Fury expansion as much.

However I loooooove WipEout 3 a whole lot. It was a hard choice.

I feel like Omega should count, though. Playing WipEout HD in VR is a transformative experience. God damn was that amazing.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've only played the Omega collection, but 2048 is so far above the other two games for me, it's not even funny. The other two games included there have pretty garish and linear track and UI design and the ships feel a bit boring to control; meanwhile, 2048's tracks are incredibly beautiful and very interesting and fun to race in, and the aircrafts feel unbelievably good. I'm actually confused by this because I must be missing something -- to me it feels like a genuine 10/10 paired up with two 6/10's.

But eh, I'm happy enough with just 2048. The A+ challenges provide some of the best thrills you can get in any game.
Linear is honestly the last thing I'd think of HD Fury's tracks lol. But 2048 has great tracks with lots of skill cuts, only wish it was more varied aesthetic-wise

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
The polish in Wipeout HD/Fury is unreal. Everything about it. How it moves, feels, looks and sounds...just spectacular. Few PS3 games still hold up well imo, but this thing is a beast. Recently been emulating it on PC and it's still an absolute blast. Amazing devs, I can't forgive Sony for this.
There's nothing like the feeling you get from Zone mode. I really hope they release an unlocked framerate Omega collection on PC.

I've tried pretty much all the games that came out later that tried to emulate them, but they didn't quite hit the spot for me.

I probably put most of my time into the PSP games but still played HD/Fury and 2048 a tonne. Dabbled with the older games but I want to get a good handheld setup for those.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's 2097 without a doubt. Maaaaybe ok with Wip3out. But it's 2097.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HD/Fury. But specifically omega collection with the VR support. VR changed the game completely and I don't think I'd want to play it any other way now.

Oct 27, 2017

It's a perfect mix of everything that the game is and represents. It plays brilliantly, and the art design and music is baked into the games fabric and core design like few other games ever have.

It's a stunning time capsule. I think if you went through gaming history and tried to find one game released for each system that best represented that consoles history and place in time, then 2097 would be the PS1's.

HD/Fury is a great game with a lot going for it, but Ive found it to be just missing something. I think it's the best futuristic racer available but not the best Wipeout.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played the original DOS port, Pulse and HD Fury / Omega. Every era of Wipeout seems to have its merits, aesthetics and handling. Omega is my favorite, easily. More specifically HD as I'm not a fan of the more combat focused modes in Fury and 2048 but having access to those tracks in Omega is cool.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
HD was the first game that really looked next gen to me, despite playing Gears of War earlier. So smooth and beautiful. And killer to play, of course.

Also sank a ton of time into Pulse on the PSP, amazing game period, much less on a handheld in 2007 or whenever I played it.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
WipEout HD was one of the first games I played when I got a PS3 and HDTV for the first time, so for that mind-blowing moment alone I gotta go with it.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Pulse (+ DLC) for me: i played it after Wipeout HD Fury and it is pretty much the same game but with more tracks (in fact, Wipeout HD Fury is like a HD version of Pulse in terms of controls, with some tracks from Pulse and Pure). Give it a try.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Man - I would have to say that WipEout Omega Collection really is the definitive WipEout experience. HD/Fury/2048 in 4K/60fps with top-shelve HDR and all in VR. The ULTIMATE love letter to the series.

The only thing I can fault it for is the lack of the FURY menu theme 😩

Pure in particular will always hold a special place in my heart though. My first WipEout ever, and flawlessly executed in its own right. Best visual design imo, from the intro to the concept art in-game gallery. *Chef kiss*

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Wip3out Special Edition, but Omega Collection is fantastic solely for the VR and added 2048 tracks.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
2097 is my favourite because of the nostalgia, art design and soundtrack, but 3 Special Edition is technically better among the PS1 generation.

Omega is the true best game. HD Fury is very good, but there is a narrowness and busy feeling to the overall track design, that comes from its PSP roots. I wish the Vita didn't die so soon and we got another Wipeout on that thing.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
For me its WipEout HD. It just felt like the concept was fully realised and perfected with a level of polish and gameplay tech the other games don't match.

For anyone who may be interested, podcast myself and a friend do did a full rankings of the series a good while back now:

open.spotify.com

022 | Wipeout Vol. 1 (with Daryl Baxter)

Listen to this episode from Time Extend on Spotify. Time Extend finally covers the coolest racing franchise of them all. Wipeout is the topic of this ranking, as the boys are joined by writer and podcaster Daryl Baxter to discuss their favorite entries in Sony's cult-classic anti-gravity racing...

open.spotify.com

023 | Wipeout Vol. 2 (with Daryl Baxter)

Listen to this episode from Time Extend on Spotify. It's the thrilling conclusion to the Wipeout ranking, as the boys are joined once again by special guest Daryl Baxter (@darylbaxter) to talk about their favorite moments, music and memories surrounding the trendsetting anti-grav racing...

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite is 3. However, playing the latest ones in VR as something else. Now that feels like the future.

I seriously dislike the barrel roll mechanic in the newer games, though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
My top 2 match the OP. Not sure what I'd pick for 3; I came to XL/2097 really late so it doesn't stick in my memory as much. I'd maybe give it to 2048 for that reason.

HD/Fury is just hands down the best Wipeout package, but I admit that if we're talking personal favourites I think 3 might still take it for me. It's just a perfect culmination of everything that was great about the PS1 Wipeouts, and I think is the biggest reason why I love the series so much.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I started the series with HD Fury and honestly found it hard to go back to earlier entries, there was just such a big difference. Omega Collection is by far the best nowadays (60fps + PS4 Dpad destroys), but there are certain parts I like more about HD and others I like more about 2048, so I don't think I could come up with a definitive winner. Favourite racing game of all time.
It's a crime games like Wipeout and F-zero are dead when stagnant, generic, same-old racers are dime a dozen.