• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Their drop in subscribers is attributed to three things:
1) Youtube's algorithm stopped recommending JSS's videos to new watchers. This means that they can no longer cancel out unsubscribers.
2) Youtube's algorithm demotes LGBTQIA+ content in general. Which makes its "let's celebrate pride month!!" nonsense even more hollow than usual.
3) Transphobes being transphobes.

It is sad to see the drop in views in their latest videos. They used to consider 300K views disappointing, now they are lucky to even see 200K views.
I have actually noticed that I used to see their videos recommended to me after watching a game trailer along with quite a lot of unsavoury other vids (if I have to see one more video about how women are tuning the gaming industry I swear YouTube!) and I haven't seen their videos recently at all - I couldn't tell you when exactly that started happening but it wouldn't surprise me if YouTube stoped recommending them around the time they came out

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
It's literally in purple right above the box you type your post in and in the topic title, how did you miss it?

When I scroll to the bottom of the page to type a reply that window is right out of view. Is this really that important? Is it that much of a scandal to you that you need to keep filling the thread with unrelated posts to pursue? If this doesn't satisfy your sense of justice I'll PM you a screen shot.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
All good. I encourage you to check out some of their other content, while a lot of their output is criticism of the industry they also have videos of games they enjoy. Jim's persona isn't for everyone, but I think it has a place and more voices like theirs are needed.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Being subscribed to Jim, I used to get recommended YongYea vids and shit like that, with "Jim Sterling viewers also watched this" as a subheader. I thought that was odd: how can people regularly watch a leftist channel and also a conservative shitlord? They seem diametrically opposed in terms of ideology

The subscriber drop surprised me a bit but in retrospect it makes sense. Jim got a little too queer for the enlightened centrists.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their drop in subscribers is attributed to three things:
1) Youtube's algorithm stopped recommending JSS's videos to new watchers. This means that they can no longer cancel out unsubscribers.
2) Youtube's algorithm demotes LGBTQIA+ content in general. Which makes its "let's celebrate pride month!!" nonsense even more hollow than usual.
3) Transphobes being transphobes.

It is sad to see the drop in views in their latest videos. They used to consider 300K views disappointing, now they are lucky to even see 200K views.
On socialblade the views are basically trending along a similar plot that they were before, so it seems like the algorithm doesn't appear to be impacted by subs that much.

Sawa

Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Scotland
I mean, anyone who stopped watching and unsubscribed because of this is a pathetic chud, but your stat also suggests that around 90% of subscribers didn't care.
Surely you can't know what current subscribers think without like properly surveying subscribers. It may be many more have not noticed or are transphobic but not enough to bother unsubscribing rather than not caring.
Regardless losing 10% of subscribers due to transphobia is pretty shit for any content creater and shouldn't be minimised.
And is this going to make any other content creators who are trans less comfortable in coming out publicly.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The internet should have more tools - I want to know who the 10% are who unsubbed and then just be able to put them on ignore on whatever forums and discords etc that they post in.

Imagine what a place it would be...

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
I really would like how the youtube algorythm works in that regard, i never had that
problem but a lot of people seme to have problems with channels getting hidden,
did somebody find out if it has something to do with the amount of channels one has subscribed to?
I haven't subbed to a new channel in a long time, but have liked videos recently on unsubbed channels. This seems to force the unsubbed channels to surface more often than the ones I'm interested in.... Looking at the front page it's about 50% subbed channels if I scroll, but about 30% if I just look on the first page.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Unfortunately, even bigots, chuds, conservatives, etc like to game and we share this lovely ecosystem and hobby with them.

I'm gonna go give Sterling my sub even though I rarely do that. At least I can off-set one douche.

Sawa

Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Scotland
Given how 10% of the subscribers just unsubscribed for coming out as Non-binary I don't think I'm wrong in saying a portion of his fanbase is shitty.
Defend the content all you want, but not sure why you would defend the portion of the fanbase that can't even handle that the dude came out as non-binary.

Also It's one thing to call out shitty business practices..... It's a completely different thing to build a brand and persona around it.

Edit: Misgendered Jim.

If they use they pronouns why edit to say you misgendered them rather than actually correcting the misgendering in your post?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Will Gamers™ possibly find a way to not disappoint me?
I'm wondering if it would be better to sub or to like as unsub the video...
Or just like and sub
James Stephanie Sterling's channel is better than it has ever been.
If they use they pronouns why edit to say you misgendered them rather than actually correcting the misgendering in your post?
Especially since there's like a goddamn banner for it too.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
They've been the best video game industry critic/commentator for years. Always top-shelf content.

Anyone with a problem over their transition can fuck off.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jim has a little bit of that....I never know what the best term to use to describe it is....but that "YEAH FUCK IT ALL STICK IT TO EM' LOL WE'RE SMARTER" vibe going for them. That stupid Republican, especially these days, mindset that people may latch onto. Best thing I can compare it to is how some audiences view South Park. They see an episode that might rip on something they agree with ripping on, but in the end the lesson is not to rip on that thing. However, this type of audience doesn't care about the lesson, they care about the rip, and that's the "lesson" they end up taking away from the episode.

Most of that audience is not well-versed in nuance, sensibility, or let's say intelligence in general, and they typically align themselves with intense conservative values. I imagine most of the people leaving Jim's channel right now are among that type of audience. That I'm not too surprised they've picked up a few along the way due to the type of content they put out.

I'm not a big fan of Jim, but they're fine and it's a shame that their self acknowledgement is being "rewarded" in this way. However I'm sure soon enough it will level out, and they'll be better off once it does.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean they responded to my post about them misgendering by doing it even more so I don't think they cared

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Being subscribed to Jim, I used to get recommended YongYea vids and shit like that, with "Jim Sterling viewers also watched this" as a subheader. I thought that was odd: how can people regularly watch a leftist channel and also a conservative shitlord? They seem diametrically opposed in terms of ideology

The subscriber drop surprised me a bit but in retrospect it makes sense. Jim got a little too queer for the enlightened centrists.
This is 100% what I see, at least before, because of the whole "gamers rights" angle that both have. I just assume there's a big chunk of people who had no idea what they were getting with Jim until they came out.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I haven't subbed to a new channel in a long time, but have liked videos recently on unsubbed channels. This seems to force the unsubbed channels to surface more often than the ones I'm interested in.... Looking at the front page it's about 50% subbed channels if I scroll, but about 30% if I just look on the first page.
Wait, people expect their subs to be on the main page?
This is more for discovering (and somewhat for new videos from subs), there is a reason why there is not every video from every subed channel, it tries to give you new channels.

The sub page is for uploads from the subs. And on that it showes me all uploads from subs in a chronological order.
On monday there will be a jimquisition video in the last 10-20 videos, depending on who published their video when.
I only goe to the main page if i want to get sugestions for either new stuff or to rewatch >something<.
If i want to see the latest videos of my subs, i go to the sub page.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
While I wouldn't be surprised that being case,
this probably also has to do with people getting tired of same content over and over.
I have never liked Jim's videos for a number of reasons, but that's maybe the biggest reason; why would I want to hear someone whine about the same thing every week, it's not like their analysis is any better than what I could deduce on my own.
So unless their videos have drastically changed since January, I seriously doubt this has anything to do with content.
I used to get recommended YongYea vids and shit like that
Yeah I can't fairly compare YongYea and Jim, they both complain about the same thing every week, but YongYea is just an utter moron, I don't how anyone with a brain in their skull can bare to listen to his stretched-to-fit, poorly written, and extremely redundant script for 10+ minutes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I totally missed that this even happened. Good for them, and honestly, that's a less sharp decline than I'd have expected.

We still a ways to go but if only one in 20 subs unfollowed then that's not the most horrible thing ever.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
For Jim it isn't just a brand. They love videogames and are passionate about the industry. I think 'they' is the proper pronoun here since they came out as non-binary
Do they? The same Jim that said a couple of weeks ago that they hate that they turned talking about video games their job?
I think there is a passion to shine a light on bad practice and injustice but tbh i think that passion for gaming at a wider level is long gone

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I know it sounds awful, but I'm genuinely surprised they didn't lose *more* subscribers over it. I just assume, perhaps wrongly, that most gamers *are* awful and that this number would be a lot larger. I personally feel that it is a mini-miracle that the sub count stayed as high as it has (I have seen plenty of trans streamers for instance lose a LARGE portion of their base once they announced their transition). It's still awful nomatter how you slice it, though, even if I do think it is an indication that things may be getting better, albeit slowly and not without its victims.

Jim lost subscribers for coming out the way other content creators have for being accused of sexual assault or being abusive to their employees. Worse those other content providers continue to get pushed by the algorithm while Jim is buried which leads to the abusers regaining lost ground while Jim continues to slip. Youtube would rather promote white men who are known abusers over lgbt content providers. That's how fucked the system is.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The fucked up part is I'm subscribed to them and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I've seen a single pop up in my main video feed in a long fucking time... like, I get more consistent content pushed to me based on a paintball video I watched like two years ago (and never sub'd to)than anything Jim related as far as I can scroll on my home page.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never liked Jim's videos for a number of reasons, but that's maybe the biggest reason; why would I want to hear someone whine about the same thing every week, it's not like their analysis is any better than what I could deduce on my own.
So unless their videos have drastically changed since January, I seriously doubt this has anything to do with content.
Why is it so hard to read the staff post.

Sawa

Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Scotland

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do they? The same Jim that said a couple of weeks ago that they hate that they turned talking about video games their job?
I think there is a passion to shine a light on bad practice and injustice but tbh i think that passion for gaming at a wider level is long gone
Your purposely misrepresenting what was said, and they still love gaming, they have really liked a few things lately including Returnal, and have been streaming games more.

The point behind hating that they chose this occupation is because the issues in the industry never get better forcing them to keep covering the same ground and posts like yours are the thanks they get. In the same situation I would hate my job too.

And once again that's not the subject of the thread, it's bad enough threads for their videos have the same actors constantly regurgitating the same arguments ( kind of ironic that the same people every week have to say they hate him for being repetitive, doing the same exact thing they bitch about Sterling doing) but having to come into this thread to push the same arguments when there is a mod post saying not to us just pretty shitty and says a lot more about the posters than it does James Stephanie.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
The fucked up part is I'm subscribed to them and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I've seen a single pop up in my main video feed in a long fucking time... like, I get more consistent content pushed to me based on a paintball video I watched like two years ago (and never sub'd to)than anything Jim related as far as I can scroll on my home page.
Well... i see whats the problem. people expect the main feed to be for that. The main feed focuses on the most recent. if you binged something, and missed 2 episodes of a sub because you where not interested in the topics, the main feed will start to not show you the next ones, but the thing you binges. thats how it is meant to work.

If you really want to see what your subs are posting, there is a SUB section called "Subscriptions".
If you dont have subs or are not logged in, it literally says:
"
Don't miss new videos

Sign in to see updates from your favorite YouTube channels "

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when youtube demonitized steven crowder for targeting carlos maza with hate speech during pride month, then remonitized him after pride month ended? good times.

also, on the topic of steven crowder, be an ally by not referencing his stupid fucking meme.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When I scroll to the bottom of the page to type a reply that window is right out of view. Is this really that important? Is it that much of a scandal to you that you need to keep filling the thread with unrelated posts to pursue? If this doesn't satisfy your sense of justice I'll PM you a screen shot.

No need to PM me I will share the forum rules with you,

Read the Thread Before Replying

When you enter a thread please ensure that you have read beyond the title before you respond. The absolute minimum effort you should put in is to read the original post (OP) in its entirety, along with any threadmarks or staff posts. Asking questions that have already been answered in the OP or threadmarks adds nothing to a discussion. If it is clear that you have not read the thread and missed important information that was appropriately highlighted, you may be subject to moderation.

www.resetera.com

General Guide to ResetEra

General Guide to ResetEra Last updated on May 3, 2021. Mission Statement Since its founding in late 2017, ResetEra has been an inviting bonfire at the crossroads of the gaming industry. Our goal is to provide a modern platform where enthusiasts and industry professionals alike will want to...

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Your purposely misrepresenting what was said, and they still love gaming, they have really liked a few things lately including Returnal, and have been streaming games more.

The point behind hating that they chose this occupation is because the issues in the industry never get better forcing them to keep covering the same ground and posts like yours are the thanks they get. In the same situation I would hate my job too.

And once again that's not the subject of the thread, it's bad enough threads for their videos have the same actors constantly regurgitating the same arguments ( kind of ironic that the same people every week have to say they hate him for being repetitive, doing the same exact thing they bitch about Sterling doing) but having to come into this thread to push the same arguments when there is a mod post saying not to us just pretty shitty and says a lot more about the posters than it does James Stephanie.

fair enough if you disagree but I don't see how the points I've raised have went against the mod post; I am not disputing the cause of the drop in their subscribers, the topic at hand. I'm simply making a more general comment on their channel

Last edited:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shure, sounds like an explanation, but then im even more confused why this never happens for me with channels, i have seem every single jimquisition since... ever. So there has to me more to it.
Because those channels are having mild to moderate positive growth vs James Stephanie's which is seeing negative growth. It also doesn't help that the algorithm doesn't promote LGBTQ+ content because it often gets flagged as adult or gets demonetized, so this actively works against LGBTQ+ creators.

The algorithm's machine learning component is heavily biased toward the interests of cis, hetero, white users, so that probably doesn't help.

You can Google articles about LGBTQ+ content and YT's algorithm actively working against their content to get a better idea of how YT is trash to LGBTQ+ creators.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post
I find Jim's work to be overly critical and often spiteful. Eventually I just got tired of all the negativity and tuned out of the channel. I assume people may have similar experiences to mine.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
That's a pity. I've never been a subscriber for them cause the content never really resonated with me but I'm sad to hear they're dropping off just for being themselves. Gamers stay trash.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
fair enough if you disagree but I don't see how the points I've raised have went against the mod post; I am not disputing the cause of the drop in their subscribers
it was simply a more general comment on their channel
That part wasn't aimed at you more of a general thread thing. Genuinely sorry I didn't make that clearer.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Remember when youtube demonitized steven crowder for targeting carlos maza with hate speech during pride month, then remonitized him after pride month ended? good times.

also, on the topic of steven crowder, be an ally by not referencing his stupid fucking meme.
The "change my mind" meme?
that grifter can't return to his anonymity soon enough.
I find Jim's work to be overly critical and often spiteful. Eventually I just got tired of all the negativity and tuned out of the channel. I assume people may have similar experiences to mine.
Everyone just happened to be tired at the same time when James has been doing the same thing for over a decade?
if it could be any more transparent we found a new material to make lenses.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pity. I've never been a subscriber for them cause the content never really resonated with me but I'm sad to hear they're dropping off just for being themselves. Gamers stay trash.

Pretty much this for me as well (I haven't watched much content so wasn't even aware until this thread).

It's saddening and disgusting.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that this happened to them, especially so soon after coming out. It might be one thing if it was just a gradual decline, but since it happened so rapidly it's easy to put two and two together for the most part.

Hopefully the drop levels out and Jim can carry on being their wonderful self. I don't watch the videos so much but the Podquisition is usually a lot of fun, and it would be a shame to miss their voice from the industry.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017

There's always going to be ebbs and flows with creators where they get a good gain of subs and lose a good amount of subs. But the decline after coming out for them is STEEP and instead of going up and down like it had been it's just been a steady, downward trend.
For those downplaying how much of the recent downturn of subs is due to James Stephanie's coming out, here's a helpful graph:

img_20210608_0243426kjqe.jpg

There's only one conclusion to draw from this and it's not people organically moving on from the channel because of the overly critical/spiteful nature.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I find that Jim/Stephanie's content to have gotten stale over the last year or so. Personally I am still subbed but barely watch their channel. Most videos have been rehashes of old videos. Mind you, I agree with them on most of the issues with gaming company, but it gets being a bit down to constantly listen to just problems pretty much.

That said, yeah, I think the info above on YouTube algorithms plus bunch of asses are responsible for most of the drops.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good god, not even with huge fucking purple box explicitly saying that the thread is NOT about your personal history with James Stephanie's channel there's still people coming here to say they are not subscribed to them because x, y or z so they ain't like those bigots you see. And to make matters worse there's constant misgendering on top of that.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Commentary and Thread Derail in Sensitive Thread
It begs the question: Will we ever see the Gamer ™ world become more Progressive? Sadly the shadow of Gamergate and alt-right/incel culture still hangs over this community like a foul smell, and nobody seems to have any answers as to how to fix it.

I really hate this pinpointing on the gaming community as the problem. This is a problem in every part of life in general, doesn't matter what sector you look at you'll get the same results. Until you can solve the problem in general the gaming community will be the same as all the others. it sucks big time but don't say its the gaming community specifically, its nearly every community sadly and that's what needs to change.

Oct 26, 2017
Can we please stop with the posts that essentially boil down to:

"Yeah yeah, most of the drop is probably because of transphobia.

Anyway, here's a long, extensive list of things I dislike about JSS that I inexplicably chose this thread to complain in!"

If you dislike or are tired of Sterling's content, that's perfectly fine. There are threads where you can talk about that, if you wish. Possibly the OT.

This thread is about JSS's sudden and constant drop immediately after coming out. Choosing a thread like this (in which we're discussing transphobia and prejudice) to vent your personal dislikes of said trans person's content is fucking beyond tonedeaf.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Can we please stop with the posts essentially going:

"Yeah yeah, most of the drop is probably because of transphobia.

Anyway, here's a long, extensive list of things I dislike about JSS that I inexplicably choose this thread to complain in!"

We see you. You're not clever.
I mean I'll take it over the "JSS is always the same so everyone unsubscribed because of that and not because people are bigots"
In the same way I'll take a bullet to the knee over a bullet to the chest.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good god, not even with huge fucking purple box explicitly saying that the thread is NOT about your personal history with James Stephanie's channel there's still people coming here to say they are not subscribed to them because x, y or z so they ain't like those bigots you see. And to make matters worse there's constant misgendering on top of that.
It's literally insane. There is definitely a discussion to be had about the quality of James Stephanie's content and how positive-negative it is, but also...this is the same conversation people have been having since forever! How many Jimquisition threads have we had in the past where people would come in and rag on James Stephanie's stuff calling it negative and excessive?

Like we all know this. This is what they do, though. It's their entire schtick. It is their channel, not anybody else's.

But to come into a discussion about how their coming out led to a massive follower exodus to be cynical and say "oh their content is too negative for me so that's why I don't follow and I think it is the same for others" is something beyond willful ignorance...

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really hate this pinpointing on the gaming community as the problem. This is a problem in every part of life in general, doesn't matter what sector you look at you'll get the same results. Until you can solve the problem in general the gaming community will be the same as all the others. it sucks big time but don't say its the gaming community specifically, its nearly every community sadly and that's what needs to change.
Yes let's ignore all the obvious issues the gaming community has because everywhere has issues