• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea Sterling came out, good for them.

The topic itself is of course, not shocking at all.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh and to all the slick users here that came into the EA topic and now this one talking about how STALE the content has become explain then how this topic is already at 3 pages, the EA one is at 4 Buuuuuuuuut the one about companies abusing pride month and specifically WB Games wanting to have players beat up Poison Ivy (a LGBTQ Character) while also paying off Terf Rowling only has.... 24 posts. Almost like the usual suspects must realize they wont be able to get away with their usual tactics in that topic.

www.resetera.com

That Time Warner Bros. Beat Up A Queer Character For Pride (The Jimquisition)

Pride is never short of corporate exploitation, and every year companies compete to see who can put their foot in it the hardest. This year, Warner Bros. offered players the chance to beat up Poison Ivy for prizes in Injustice 2. The problem with this is that Ivy is one of the very few...
www.resetera.com

EA Is Evil, Actually (The Jimquisition)

Electronic Arts wants you to give it all of your money as its business model shifts more and more to microtransactions and gambling. It's not above being positively vile in this endeavor. EA is doing all it can to funnel its FIFA players toward one single mode - FIFA Ultimate Team, the mode...

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
That's kinda weird, not like someones keeping tabs on who you are subbing and unsubbing from. If you dont like Jims content anymore then just unsub - seems kinda moot to sub now just to unsub later
just unsub, if you dont like and dont watch the content why bother being subbed lol
Timing is important and I've seen firsthand what happens to LGBT social media posts / videos of my workplace compared to regular posts. Being subbed for a while costs me nothing and I'm 100% sure their current loss of subscribers is directly related to their coming out and I don't want to be a part of that.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
There was a poster in the ea topic iirc that was saying they deserve it because of thier destructoid days 😡
Only thing I know from their Destructoid days is the unbiased FFXIII review and I thought it was hilarious 🤷‍♀️ Not sure why anyone would be so angry over those days, or still angry, considering how long it's been.

All these people stating they only unsubscribed because of Wrestling, or plastic toys, or reocurring topics or whatever: Why do you feel the need to underline this in this particular topic? You would clearly know, that the whole Wrestling stuff started WAY before Stephanie came out. You would clearly not be either the reason for this thread or the reason for the very current, very obvious trend of bleeding subs the literal moment they came out on stream?
Basically the same shit happened with Kelly Marie Tran's harassment. People constantly felt the need to say "Rose sucked, but she shouldn't be harassed". Super embarrassing. They really feel the need to tell people that they hate the person, too, but aren't like those haters. 🙄

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is really disappointing. Their content has been the same as ever, and if anything the production values have actually improved over the last year or so

Yeah, their content is repetitive, but it needs to be as the same mistakes are made over and over. They're not going to be like "well I did a video on MXT in 2017 and one on crunch in 2018 so I never need to cover these subjects again"

They need to cover these subjects over and over to keep them in the conversation and keep people talking and thinking about them

The idea that this drop is down to the channel being repetitive when it's not only just now become repetitive is just an excuse to ignore the fact a lot of people have left because seeing Jim being happy makes them feel uncomfortable for some reason

There were always a load of users on Era who hated them anyway, their threads were always full of posters whinging about their videos and making comments based solely on the video title, so it's not a surprise to see some people here trying to blame this on their content

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
OH Easy Allies... that makes more sense, I kept thinking the videogame company and was very confused about what this "EA thread" was >_<

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That poster has a long history of ableism and racism on top of the bigotry shown in this thread.
Really only serves to underline Jim's point doesn't it. These people can't handle someone deviating from their own internal insecurities around how others should look and act.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
relating to the topic

I remember liking a few videos from Philosophy Tube a while ago

then recently returned to the channel after not paying attention to it for years and was kinda surprised of the change

I support whatever makes people happy though. Just keep putting out good content and you're good in my book

I have no idea what kind of content the person this thread is about made though, to lose so many subs I'm assuming it was something on the conservative side, no?
Maybe read the OP before posting?

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
It begs the question: Will we ever see the Gamer ™ world become more Progressive? Sadly the shadow of Gamergate and alt-right/incel culture still hangs over this community like a foul smell, and nobody seems to have any answers as to how to fix it.

I think it is slowly changing. But at the same time change doesn't happen right away. I am pretty positive myself that it will become much more progressive in the future. Partly thanks to the Indie scene and content creators. But also some of the triple AAA studio's have been pushing to more diversity within gaming. But I am not fully informed about the situation soooo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
relating to the topic

I remember liking a few videos from Philosophy Tube a while ago

then recently returned to the channel after not paying attention to it for years and was kinda surprised of the change

I support whatever makes people happy though. Just keep putting out good content and you're good in my book

I have no idea what kind of content the person this thread is about made though, to lose so many subs I'm assuming it was something on the conservative side, no?

How is this an actual post that was made?

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at socialblade the channel seems to be doing significantly worse since late september, but it's also doing even worse since they revealed they are non-binary. I wouldn't put it solely on expressing their Gender identity, but it seems to be a big part of the decline.

But I don't know where the 105k subscribers numbers from the thread title are coming from, it's more like 30k subscribers and they weren't pushing for 1million before the reveal.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still subscribed but skipping a lot of the recent videos because it's just the same thing over and over.

'EA is Evil, Actually' = 20 minutes of stating the obvious. Or at least that's what I assumed when I never bothered to click on it. About as redundant as a title can get.

I find it REALLY ODD how people keep bringing up that video but not the latest one that is not the "usual" fair. But I guess it would be to obvious for people to talk about how much they dont like their content when the content in question is WB GIVING FUCKING PRIZES OUT TO PLAYERS TO BEAT UP A QUEER CHARACTER!!!!! Its telling when I am seeing the same arguments from people on this board as a User on Gamefaqs that would post in the smae spots as me back in the day that became a huge MRA Gamergater. Really fucking telling.

www.resetera.com

Pride is never short of corporate exploitation, and every year companies compete to see who can put their foot in it the hardest. This year, Warner Bros. offered players the chance to beat up Poison Ivy for prizes in Injustice 2. The problem with this is that Ivy is one of the very few...

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at socialblade the channel seems to be doing significantly worse since late september, but it's also doing even worse since they revealed they are non-binary. I wouldn't put it solely on expressing their Gender identity, but it seems to be a big part of the decline.

But I don't know where the 105k subscribers numbers from the thread title are coming from, it's more like 30k subscribers and they weren't pushing for 1million before the reveal.

I think they did hit 1 million before?

And now it's back down to 900k.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
When the most vocal part of the gaming community and that's usually very engaged with games and online discussion (you know on what sites) are men living in their mom's basement with no real social interactions whatsoever, they are gonna keep turning into "incels" that blame society and women of their own misfortunes. Those people will keep finding validation online by lurking and posting on certain forums and think "these guys get me, it's not my fault that I'm like this, it's womens and leftists fault!".

It is slowly changing because we see more "normal people" speaking out about what's right, but those guys won't change and will keep spewing poison.

Really sad about Sterling losing subs and reach, but I kinda see it as "weeding out" the scum.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Stopped watching their content years ago, just got very repetitive. If people spoiled because of this though, that's horrible.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea about it since I bailed from the channel years back, good for they!

What a fucking monstruous reason to bail on a channel.

Stay on topic

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
James Stephanie Sterling is non-binary and their pronouns are they/them. We ask posters to respect that and gender them accordingly, as they would for any other member or person.

This thread is about the steep drop in subscribers following James Stephanie Sterling coming out as NB, which is completely out of proportion with previous deviation in subscriber figures. Some deviation in subscriber numbers, while both normal and to be expected, is not what this thread is about nor are personal, anecdotal reasons as to why you may have stopped watching the videos or unsubscribed. Future posts attempting to derail the thread or deflect from the topic at hand will be subject to moderation.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the midst of typing my response before the staff communication went up, and by the time I posted - it was there.

So deleting as to not derail the thread.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I fell of the Jim-train well before his expression change. The style is a non-factor for my interest in the channel. It's 100% content and competition that drives my interest.

For me the breakout of several GB-Crew profiles led me to follow them and thus pushed minor personalities aside.

With that said - people who stop following BECAUSE of his gender expression change, can FUCK RIGHT OFF.
Please remember to use the right pronouns, I know you mean well from what you are saying :P

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Oh and to all the slick users here that came into the EA topic and now this one talking about how STALE the content has become explain then how this topic is already at 3 pages, the EA one is at 4 Buuuuuuuuut the one about companies abusing pride month and specifically WB Games wanting to have players beat up Poison Ivy (a LGBTQ Character) while also paying off Terf Rowling only has.... 24 posts. Almost like the usual suspects must realize they wont be able to get away with their usual tactics in that topic.

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

EA Is Evil, Actually (The Jimquisition)

Electronic Arts wants you to give it all of your money as its business model shifts more and more to microtransactions and gambling. It's not above being positively vile in this endeavor. EA is doing all it can to funnel its FIFA players toward one single mode - FIFA Ultimate Team, the mode...
The average viewer count of jimquisition did drop, discussion topics on era dont reflect his overall audience.

Still, most of the fall of 2021 is definitely transphobia...

actually, could somebody explain it to me, since they came out as non binary, is it queer, trans or non-binary phobia?
Im not completly shure. I would asume its trans phobia, but as i said, im not shure.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
not at all. I think sterling's "gamers should be mad about this" shtick held some appeal to conservative folks, but they were clearly not a conservative and in any case the % drop in subs is not so extreme that it makes sense to attribute it to the fanbase being largely conservative. why speculate when you admittedly have no familiarity with the person or product?

For those downplaying how much of the recent downturn of subs is due to James Stephanie's coming out, here's a helpful graph:

img_20210608_0243426kjqe.jpg

So while the decline is in the 35-40k range instead of the 100k range previously stated -- although they could have lost that many but gained some to offset it, I suppose -- it's more than clear what caused the recent large drop in subs.

Like, come on.
definitely. guys, if you weren't into JSS's content long before they came out, you're entirely irrelevant to the topic. C'mon, people. It's not like it's even remotely surprising that a trans person lost some subscribers after coming out. I wish that wasn't the case but it's the world we live in.

What also gets me is that James has always been explicitly pro LGBTQ+ but them coming out as NB is somehow too far now?
It's kind of like how a lot of white americans were OK with Barack Obama - even voted for him - until he started talking more about race relations and were like, wow, he actually is black, I don't like this.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I unsubscribed a few days ago, along with a few other channels I wasn't bothering with.

For me it's more of a shift of interests. Jim isn't producing anything I care to watch. If I'm spending time watching a video, I want something useful. Creating art or cooking something. I just don't care to hear about the bad thing EA/Activision did the other day.

Jim's still doing well though, and I'm sure they'll bounce back.

So you dont care about WB wanting players to fight a Queer character for fun prizes?

www.resetera.com

We dont care why you unsubbed this is not the topic for that.

Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the steep drop in subscribers following James Stephanie Sterling coming out as NB, which is completely out of proportion with previous deviation in subscriber figures. Some deviation in subscriber numbers, while both normal and to be expected, is not what this thread is about nor are personal, anecdotal reasons as to why you may have stopped watching the videos or unsubscribed. Future posts attempting to derail the thread or deflect from the topic at hand will be subject to moderation.

Thank you.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of like how a lot of white americans were OK with Barack Obama - even voted for him - until he started talking more about race relations and were like, wow, he actually is black, I don't like this.
Its where our otherness is "tolerated" until it reaches a point they aren't comfortable with like if we were to ask them to change their thought processes even slightly.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I'm really surprised this was the case. James has been an obvious lefitst for years and it's absolutely dripping from their content, so how come they lost so many subscribers from coming out as non-binary? How can you be a leftist and be anti-LGBT?

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post
i unsubbed way before then. there is only so much room for constant -and often overblown- negativity in my life.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised this was the case. James has been an obvious lefitst for years and it's absolutely dripping from their content, so how come they lost so many subscribers from coming out as non-binary? How can you be a leftist and be anti-LGBT?
Conservative snowflakes tolerated Jim as long as they were criticising greedy companies making their precious video games worse, but as soon as Jim changed their look it was too much to bear.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Stop coming into the thread and saying you unsubbed to them years ago because you don't like their content (its irrelevant) and that the loss of subs is unrelated to their coming out (its not) when the data is right here.

For those downplaying how much of the recent downturn of subs is due to James Stephanie's coming out, here's a helpful graph:

So while the decline is in the 35-40k range instead of the 100k range previously stated -- although they could have lost that many but gained some to offset it, I suppose -- it's more than clear what caused the recent large drop in subs.

Like, come on.

Stop downplaying transphobia.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Because now it cant be ignored. I remember seeing some comments about Giant Bomb, may have been Twitter or Youtube where people were rationalizing watching them as "they live in Cali so of course they are liberal". I am paraphrasing since it was a while ago that I had seen it. but even with in Giant Bomb that line of thinking only extended to the white guys as its no coincidence that Austin (had a person come up to him at pax to tell him he is ruining a site he loves), Abby ("how dare she have GOTY opinions") and Ben (who people constantly speculate about his sexuality) received more hate the the rest and had the same Drive by people that Steph does.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Timing is important and I've seen firsthand what happens to LGBT social media posts / videos of my workplace compared to regular posts. Being subbed for a while costs me nothing and I'm 100% sure their current loss of subscribers is directly related to their coming out and I don't want to be a part of that.
I mean if you wanna stay subbed for a while by all means go ahead
That comment was just kinda made saying that not being interested in the content is a completely valid reason to unsubscribe from something and doesn't make you guilty or anything considering the current circumstance that's all

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Got a sub from me. I hadn't watched their content for a long time, but i can only support them to counter all the "sensitive" people who unsubscribed after the coming out.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Yeah that was beyond disappointing to see.

I thought JSS took it in their stride though, considering. Not upset to lose people who need to get lost, was how I interpreted it.

Trying to be positive, the number of openly trans - and very good - content creators on YouTube of late has to be some kind of encouraging trend. We have a long way to go, but representation in media is at least a first step towards wider recognition and acceptance.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was beyond disappointing to see.

I thought JSS took it in their stride though, considering. Not upset to lose people who need to get lost, was how I interpreted it.

Trying to be positive, the number of openly trans - and very good - content creators on YouTube of late has to be some kind of positive trend. We have a long way to go, but representation in media is at least a first step towards wider recognition and acceptance.
Do they identify as trans or non-binary? The two are not the same thing inherently, but a person can identify as both.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
I think some of it is the YouTube algorithm because this was a channel I occasionally watched from recommendations but never subscribed to before . But i haven't seen any recommendations from them since like last year I think. I should probably subscribe if the drop has gotten that bad

Last edited:

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
I hadn't realised the drop was that large. I thought is was around 15k-20k

Pagano

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Like, come on.
But the drop in subs seems to be even smaller than 40k? Before the video, they were losing roughly 1k subs per week since Jan 1. After the video was posted, they were losing 4k subs in the first week and then 2k in the following 7 weeks. Then it went back to 1k per week.

That's -16k subs in the first 2 month after posting the video.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Do they identify as trans or non-binary? The two are not the same thing inherently, but a person can identify as both.

Yep fair play I might well have been too loose with my terminology there.

I was also referring to other YouTubers I've subbed to recently who do identify as trans, and not just JSS.

No offence meant but apologies if any caused.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
not at all. I think sterling's "gamers should be mad about this" shtick held some appeal to conservative folks, but they were clearly not a conservative and in any case the % drop in subs is not so extreme that it makes sense to attribute it to the fanbase being largely conservative. why speculate when you admittedly have no familiarity with the person or product?
i would say it reflects that this type of content (gaming + angry) has more conservatives than other content, since Philosophy Tube and Easy Allies did not had such a dip in subscribers after the coming out.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep fair play I might well have been too loose with my terminology there.

I was also referring to other YouTubers I've subbed to recently who do identify as trans, and not just JSS.

No offence meant but apologies if any caused.
Was a genuine question as well as an FYI btw, wasn't sure if they had said anything more on this. No offence at all!

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think some of it is the YouTube algorithm because this was a channel I occasionally watched from recommendations but never subscribed to before . But i haven't seen any recommendations from them since like last year I think.

This wouldn't impact subscribers though, would it?

The issue is that subs are down, not that views are down (though I assume they go hand in hand)

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Was a genuine question as well as an FYI btw, wasn't sure if they had said anything more on this. No offence at all!
Their twitter bio has "Pan & Trans Gendertrash In Non-Binary Finery", so that's a yes. I was also checking my terminology to make sure too cause I wasn't previously sure if they had explicitly said they're trans or not.

Oct 26, 2017
But the drop in subs seems to be even smaller than 40k? Before the video, they were losing roughly 1k subs per week since Jan 1. After the video was posted, they were losing 4k subs in the first week and then 2k in the following 7 weeks. Then it went back to 1k per week.

That's -16k subs in the first 2 month after posting the video.

TBH I'm at work and it had already taken a while to get that graph, zoom into the proper dates (which is finicky af on a touch screen), edit it and upload it. So I was going off numbers from the top of my head -- hence the estimation. I'd remembered them at 938k subs, but it was actually 928k.

They're currently at 895k, so they've lost 33k, not 35k. I'd call that pretty close. =P

I'll edit it either way though.

Last edited:

Fardeen

Oct 31, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post
well jim's content has become stale lately, i am not suprised. haven't watch a video in a long time

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Their twitter bio has "Pan & Trans Gendertrash In Non-Binary Finery", so that's a yes. I was also checking my terminology to make sure too cause I wasn't previously sure if they had explicitly said they're trans or not.
Thanks for the clarification! Always good to check.