• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I watched a couple videos today of a Youtuber called MaryMew who cracks me up.

btw do the images that appear in speech bubbles all mean something or are they just random?

OP
OP
Dullahan

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, here's my story with The Sims.

I remember playing The Sims once, when I was very, very young and getting incredible bored with it (In my defense, I was very young and I only liked FPS and fast action games back then). Many years later, some of my friends are very into Sims, and it seems now a good time to give the series another chance.

Is there any tips about what I should be doing first, or how to get out the most fun of the game?

That's a difficult question to answer. It really isn't for everyone, although you might as well give it a shot as it's free. The game has a pretty thorough tutorial if you so desire, and then there's the matter of DLC which is inescapable with the Sims 4. Try it, see if it sticks. If it does hit up the threadmarks, for some good juicy info.

It's a very mellow, relaxed experience most of the time. It'd just recommend creating a lil' Sims family and spend all your time making them look perfect then just getting a cheap starter house and go from there. See if the loop, loops you in.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
So, I will be finally playing this game with PsPlus

how friendly is the sims with DualShock? I may buy a mouse and a keyboard just for it, is it worth it?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

how friendly is the sims with DualShock? I may buy a mouse and a keyboard just for it, is it worth it?

It's actually pretty smooth on DS4 once you learn the shortcuts. But you'll probably have to download lots from the gallery because building is awful without a mouse.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to work on an OT for the Sims series what would you all want in it? I have no art or photoshop skills, so it would probably just use logos and screenshots though lol.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If I were to work on an OT for the Sims series what would you all want in it? I have no art or photoshop skills, so it would probably just use logos and screenshots though lol.

A summary of everything in the base game to date. A lot of people abandoned it back when there weren't pools or toddlers.

We could do a straw poll on the most essential packs. For example, I think Seasons and Parenthood are the ideal starting point for anyone getting into the game.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The stuff packs are hard to judge since some have great build mode items but kinda pointless interaction items, like the cool kitchen and laundry packs for example.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want to get into this but even with the Origin sale that's going on now, 50% off the expansions isn't good enough for all the stuff I'd want. Needs worthwhile bundles.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want to get into this but even with the Origin sale that's going on now, 50% off the expansions isn't good enough for all the stuff I'd want. Needs worthwhile bundles.
Origin allows you to create your own bundles in addition to the official ones.

I just buy my packs one at a time since they go on sale very often.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I've put loads of time in with just playing on the controller. It does have a bit of a learning curve, and somethings are a tad awkward, but it all works well enough.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Informed the wife, who's addicted to a mobile version of the sims, don't know which one, that the Sims 4 was the free game for ps plus. She got both excited and scared

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It saves almost no money. Most expansions are currently $20, game packs $15, stuff packs $10. One of each is $45.

Building a bundle requires you to buy one of each as well, and the bundle comes to $44.
There's no real way around the pricing of the expansions sadly. Even on sale, the entire game is quite expensive.
It's best if you just buy and play it piecemeal anyways if you wanna save money.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
It's playable well enough on controller IMO. But if you intend on building....oooof.

Thanks guys for the replies

I hate to build things by myself lol, I rather download something already created (I used to do that with The Sims 2, I skipped 3)

I have a bluetooth mouse in my house, does it work with The Sims on PS4?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks guys for the replies

I hate to build things by myself lol, I rather download something already created (I used to do that with The Sims 2, I skipped 3)

I have a bluetooth mouse in my house, does it work with The Sims on PS4?

Now that the Gallery is available on consoles you will have a much better time.

Ayeffen

Jan 27, 2020
London, UK
I've been with The Sims for the past 20 years and a significant part of my teenage years dedicated to the online Sims community.

On balance, I would say that I enjoyed The Sims 3 the most which is just about the opposite of everyone else. I sunk the most hours into this particular edition and the EPs.

I found the Open World to be a complete game-changer for me along with the features like Wishes/Happiness Scores.I really liked the rabbit-hole system for their workplaces/school etc. It just generally felt a lot more connected for me.

I personally love building over all-else and one thing I really miss in The Sims 4 is the Create-A-Style feature from TS3!!!!! 😭

I was lucky enough to be involved with the EA UK community during the development of TS3 and subsequent years of EPs and SPs where I got to go to Guildford and London to have previews and interview the devs and producers themselves about the games.

It was a lot of fun asking questions on behalf of the members on the forum and also writing FAQ's with the other mods offering tech and gameplay support etc.

With TS4, so far I only have Get to Work and City Living EPs. On my list for the future is probably Seasons and the recent Tiny Living stuff pack as I tend to build quite conservatively in terms of space (more realistic architecture proportions) for urban spaces etc. so I would probably find a lot of use from those items.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Bought The Sims 4 tonight. Made a Sim of myself and my wife and more or less put it down for the night.

I'll run through the tutorial tomorrow. Performance seems okay on my MacBook Pro; gonna have to fiddle with the settings a bit and see how much retina mode affects performance.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Nope, you have the right idea. The Sims 4 definitely requires packs. They actually gave the game out for free last summer, because they make most of their money on packs.

There are some packs (Seasons, Parenthood) that I consider basic requirements for meaningful gameplay.

Other packs (Get To Work, Vampires, Cats & Dogs) really depend on how you play.
omg same hahaha. And thanks!

Initially the BG was pretty barebones, but there's been a lot of free updates that have helped flesh it out. I prefer it to TS2 at this point, but it depends on your playstyle and you're right that having at least a few packs is essential. I find that people who are invested in the relationships between their sims still find TS4 very lacking.

If you do get some packs, check out the threadmarks for Dullahan's and Spyware's pack guides. Also, wait for a sale! Unfortunately you just missed a great one, but they have them very frequently. You can often get a $40 EP for $20.

Thanks guys! I've been playing a little bit more and finding out cool and new stuff regularly. There are sales right now, so I'll look into it before it ends, maybe to get the seasons pack and the city one. Seasons should give more depth to the base game, and the city one will give me an incentive to try out new playstyles once I get the hang of it.

One thing though... Can we stop people interrupting my dates? I've tried to get an answer online, but apparently it has never been an option...

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I started downloading the game via PSN just now and was looking at the DLC, and WTF why are they so expensive!? £32 for an expansion pack? Yikes.

Might have to treat this as a demo for the PC version where everything is vastly cheaper.

EDIT: wait, it's not even on Steam?

RemarkableImpoliteClownanemonefish-size_restricted.gif

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I started downloading the game via PSN just now and was looking at the DLC, and WTF why are they so expensive!? £32 for an expansion pack? Yikes.

Might have to treat this as a demo for the PC version where everything is vastly cheaper.

EDIT: wait, it's not even on Steam?

RemarkableImpoliteClownanemonefish-size_restricted.gif
Some EA stuff has come back to Steam recently. No idea if the Sims will come back at some point. I use Origin and am that deep into how much Sims 4 stuff I own on it that I don't care. :/ *shakes fist*

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Some EA stuff has come back to Steam recently. No idea if the Sims will come back at some point. I use Origin and am that deep into how much Sims 4 stuff I own on it that I don't care. :/ *shakes fist*

Oh yeah I remember the new Star Wars game went on Steam last year, maybe Sims 4 will end up there to this year?

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing a demo for a Sims game on the PS2 and it was one of the funniest games I ever played. I sold everything my mom owned and bought a pool and somehow glitched it onto the street. I'll definitely try this one, it's probably a lot more advanced than what I assume was the first Sims game.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

The way I look at the expansions is, for people who've had the game for over five years now, a $40 USD expansion pack once or twice a year doesn't seem like that much. And Game Packs ($20) are similar. I don't buy them all, got some at full price, but most on sale. On the PC side, they're frequently on sale (as others mentioned 25-50% off). I ignore most of the Stuff Packs ($10).

But for someone getting the game today, seeing hundreds of dollars of DLC available, it's a different story.

Maybe wait for a sale, grab a couple of the recommended expansions/packs, don't worry about getting everything.

If the base game seems a bit lacking and you aren't ready to shell out for DLC yet, break up your sims' routine a bit. Travel to other lots, visit other sims, learn some new skills, try new interactions, don't worry about maximizing the career/aspiration goals every day, use a vacation day. Don't get stuck doing nothing but work-eat-sleep. Mess around with building community lots. (If you don't like the stock bar or gym, build a better one. Doesn't cost you anything. There are plenty of empty lots in Newcrest.) As you get a bit more money, upgrade some of the cheaper stuff in your house so your sliders fill faster. (A crummy bed takes longer to refill energy, so you have less time to spend in game doing things other than sleeping.)

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
The more I play it, the more I like 4 the most. I like 3 a lot and like the huge custom town you can do, but the game ran like shit and was very unstable.

2 had some great expansion like Open for Business and the Unversity/Apartment with the sims living there but not being directly control was a neat touch. Not got to the unversity in 4 yet to see if it like that through.

And 1 was fun at the time but really limited these days, especially with stuff like kids being stuck as kids without using magic or unfun stuff like the AI npcs blocking your path, like the jerk jazzman in Unleashed.

Besides, I just love the options you have with adding Sims online now. One of the things I love in 1 was asking random game characters, so you had video game charactes and Bossk and Boba Fett, where now I just search for them and customize them if needed.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Every time I try to get into Sims 4 there's always two pet peeves of mine that bother me enough to quit and play 2 instead, those being the UI, more specifically, the edge scrolling being horrible compared to the previous games (Why can't I scroll anywhere where there's UI on top, like at the bottom of the screen? It's also soooo slow).

The other has to do with anything that has to do with placing floor tiles, it feels so cumbersome/limiting now. Why can't I place/delete single tiles anymore? Or click and drag to place tiles in specific spots? Am I doing something wrong or is there any way I can make it work like in the previous games? Cause that alone would make the game way more enjoyable for me.

Lastly I also hate how I can't place fences on the actual lot borders anymore, you have to keep this 1x1 space between it and it just looks wrong. Previous games didn't let you put walls, which is understandable, but fences were mostly fine aside from placing the gates.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I usually use the keyboard for edge scrolling because the mouse controls aren't great.

You can also use keyboard commands to place items in specific spots. I forget what they are in Windows because I play on Mac.

As for fences, I usually build smaller than the lot size and leave a lot of blank space on the outside so it looks more natural.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
This might be my favorite Sims related video ever

I'll have to watch this later, but check out Call Me Kevin's Sims videos (maybe they've already been mentioned). EA actually patched the game after some of the stuff he was doing like holding a pool party in the winter and them all freezing to death and abducting Santa - twice. His restaurant that only serves F-grade pufferfish is pretty awesome too.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Every time I try to get into Sims 4 there's always two pet peeves of mine that bother me enough to quit and play 2 instead, those being the UI, more specifically, the edge scrolling being horrible compared to the previous games (Why can't I scroll anywhere where there's UI on top, like at the bottom of the screen? It's also soooo slow).
(I assume this is about the PC version.) I barely use edge scrolling and mostly stick to WASD, and clicking on sims in the UI to jump to them (space to cycle between them). Also I have Sims 3 camera mode enabled - better for adjusting camera angle.
The other has to do with anything that has to do with placing floor tiles, it feels so cumbersome/limiting now. Why can't I place/delete single tiles anymore? Or click and drag to place tiles in specific spots? Am I doing something wrong or is there any way I can make it work like in the previous games? Cause that alone would make the game way more enjoyable for me.
Are you talking about deleting a tile of the floor itself, or the surface (carpet, brick, etc.)? If the former, yeah, it can be cumbersome at times. Sometimes it's easier to draw walls around the spot you want to add/remove floor tiles, then delete unneeded walls after. The latter, I don't have much problem with.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
(I assume this is about the PC version.) I barely use edge scrolling and mostly stick to WASD, and clicking on sims in the UI to jump to them (space to cycle between them). Also I have Sims 3 camera mode enabled - better for adjusting camera angle.

Are you talking about deleting a tile of the floor itself, or the surface (carpet, brick, etc.)? If the former, yeah, it can be cumbersome at times. Sometimes it's easier to draw walls around the spot you want to add/remove floor tiles, then delete unneeded walls after. The latter, I don't have much problem with.

Both of them, actually. I try to place/delete a tile and it just covers the whole room. It was so much easier before, I really don't understand why they changed it. Also makes it harder to place tiles outside.

WASD is fine but I'm so used to playing Sims with mouse-only that it takes some getting used to. I'll actually search if there's any mod that fixes edge scrolling as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's bothered by this =P

Edit: By the way, seems like today is The Sims' 20th anniversary!

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
For the series' 20th anniversary they added a new hot tub to the base game LOL.

I feel so bad for Maxis. They're Cinderella and EA is the evil stepmother. They carry the company on their shoulders, grossing a billion dollars, and get a 2 cent budget to commemorate a milestone that most EA properties don't reach because they flop and die.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
For the series' 20th anniversary they added a new hot tub to the base game LOL.

I feel so bad for Maxis. They're Cinderella and EA is the evil stepmother. They carry the company on their shoulders, grossing a billion dollars, and get a 2 cent budget to commemorate a milestone that most EA properties don't reach because they flop and die.

Yeah and the worst part is the Maxis CMs have to deal with the neverending and unchecked expectations of an audience that is never satisfied.

With that said, I was hoping that they would fix the tripod camera controls that got broken in December.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Maxis is super transparent, which makes me sad because they face a lot of abuse that should be reserved for EA executives

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I played the original (when cockroaches and the hot tub were free) and then 3. I started messing around in 4 last year and laughed when I saw that the hot tub was paid DLC.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Maxis is super transparent, which makes me sad because they face a lot of abuse that should be reserved for EA executives
So we should be mad at EA execs for not making the Maxis devs do more work to release stuff for free on their 20th Birthday? It's not like they could hire more devs just for this occasion, and we will likely get more free stuff in the future when it's ready as we.... always keep getting new free stuff? BioWare just turned 25 a week a go and no one expected them to give new free shit away (and they have GaaS titles too). My company (in real life) turned 25 this year and surprise, surprise, none of my customers expected me to give them free shit or do extra work for them. If it's a celebration, why are we expecting them to do extra work for us, shouldn''t they get a wee bit of a break? Yeah, I wouldn't say no to more Sims stuff as I love the Sims but I'm not going to yell at them for not giving me enough free stuff??? Like, I'm not sure this is expected in other games either.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Was there not a hot tub before today? I have all the main expansions and the birthday one is the only one I got.