• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is not for strategies that you can only do with late-game equipment, or only with difficult glitches or advanced techniques. This thread is for strategies that any first-timer can start doing as soon as they play the game (or very shortly after starting) and obliterate it.

Back in the day I managed to 1CC the original Virtua Fighter in the arcade a few times. My strategy was simple: pick Akira, get just out of range of the opponent, crouch, and continually jab in about 0.75 second intervals. The AI would keep walking straight into the punches, over and over again. If the opponent was knocked down, position yourself, again, just out of their range and continue punching by the time they get up. I was able to core a few double-perfects with this method.

what broken, simple tactics have you discovered, Era?

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Final Fantasy VIII. Turn off random battles so your characters never level and the enemies match your level for the whole game. Profit.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
In Crysis 3 normal mode you can just activate the cloaking suit and there's just enough time to just walk to the other side of the arena without anyone spotting you. It was totally broken but actually pretty fun.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stealth is completely broken in Horizon Zero Down, you can abuse it in comical ways (you can hide in the grass after immediately after hitting an enemy and he won't be able to find you).

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4 for sure - rush scouts/APCs to the objective to maximize the XP you get, because all the game cares about is how long you take to capture the main enemy camp.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - flick the left stick to parry everything.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Sweep kicks in Mortal Kombat (original game)

My strategy in MK1 arcade: pick any character, hold up-left, and dive-kick on your way down from each jump. You'll win every fight effortlessly, except for against Scorpion and Kano, against whom you must periodically stop to block their projectiles, after which you can continue jumping.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4 for sure - rush scouts/APCs to the objective to maximize the XP you get, because all the game cares about is how long you take to capture the main enemy camp.

I was coming in here to talk about the scout rush.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Grouping up sorta breaks Among Us. Which is probably why most of the updates that have been introduced favor imposters (no confirm ejects, anonymous voting, task bar only updating at meetings, no visual tasks, etc)

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
- The AI in Brutal Legend is not equipped to deal with an entire platoon of Razor Girls as long as you don't rush the entire group headfirst into the enemy.

- Because of the way that boss programming works in Mega Man IV (and V I think), there are bosses that you can manipulate, taking no damage with minimal effort, like Toad Man, where you shoot two times in close range, he does a short jump, you run under him and repeat until he dies a puzzling death.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So... The tranq pistol in MGSV is a weapon so good once mastered that I don't think I ever saw a functional reason to deploy without it in my entire 120 hour plus playthrough.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Fucking love Scout Rush

tumblr_inline_p7g9vqwxykvg.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vq0lhk10.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vqs9zjlg.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vr9y7j61.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vrh73jo5.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vrrvgjlb.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vsvpij63.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vtcqsjaj.png

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man Legends: circle-strafe, and you'll never be hit again. Since you can't lock-on while moving, you can't perfectly circle enemies unless you use the D-pad and camera buttons at the same time, but you can still make good enough loops that the game's auto-aim will do the rest for you.

Amusingly, while Legends 2 added a moving lock-on, it also feels like they recognized how overpowered circle-strafing was in the first game, so a bunch of the enemies and bosses in 2 are made in ways that hinder it. More shields, more homing projectiles, enemies that turn quicker, etc.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The AI in Pokemon Red/Blue is completely broken and if you know how it's broken you can cheese the entire game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So... The tranq pistol in MGSV is a weapon so good once mastered that I don't think I ever saw a functional reason to deploy without it in my entire 120 hour plus playthrough.
I think fully upgraded Quiet and D Dog with the wormhole fulton are way more game breaking, but yeah, I used the pistol on every mission.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

🤔

I might return to VC 1 after this post

Fucking love Scout Rush

tumblr_inline_p7g9vqwWHe1qjyt7z_500.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vq0rAR1qjyt7z_500.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vqspBX1qjyt7z_500.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vr9c9k1qjyt7z_500.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vrHVTN1qjyt7z_500.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vrRurM1qjyt7z_500.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vsvL5r1qjyt7z_500.png

tumblr_inline_p7g9vtcm341qjyt7z_500.png

Ok, I will try this today

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Wcw Revenge wrestling game for n64 - You can always kick out of a pin no matter what if you flick the analog stick. I dunno if it was a glitch.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Back in the day I managed to 1CC the original Virtua Fighter in the arcade a few times. My strategy was simple: pick Akira, get just out of range of the opponent, crouch, and continually jab in about 0.75 second intervals. The AI would keep walking straight into the punches, over and over again.

This works for Rise of the Robots, too, except with kicking instead of punching.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Aloy: *Whistle*
Human enemy: "What's that? I should investig- *dies*
To be fair, this is how stealth systems work, lol. This is the mechanic working exactly as intended!

Although I agree there is something visually different to a character checking out Aloy, who is barely concealed in tall grass, after hearing a whistle versus Snake knocking on a wall from around a corner, Spider-Man shooting a web against a barrel from high above, or Emily/Corvo breaking a glass bottle from a distance.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

4 (especially after the update) does a lot to fix this but it's crazy they never changed the ranking to be based on more than just turn #

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Thief ring in demon's souls. Just break line of site for 5 seconds and back stab

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls

> Start with any class with decently high strength
> Put points into strength to get it to level 16
> Grab Zweihander from the Graveyard
> Run to Pinwheel
> Optional: summon Paladin Leeroy
> Two-hand your Zwei for the Pinwheel fight
> Rite of Kindling get

Enjoy chill souls.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
553295-589712_20040308_009.jpg

Twin Snakes adding MGS2's first person view was cool but also it completely broke the game in spots and Silicon Knights did absolutely nothing to adjust for it. Literally all you had to do to beat Ocelot was aim and shoot.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Can't name any games*, but multiple times I've used a tactic in which I shoot enemies from far enough they don't trigger. Usually single shots with a silent weapon. After being alert for a moment they go back to being "idle". Then I shoot again. Repeat until enemy is dead.

*Maybe Borderlands, maybe Tenchu, for example. But not sure.

Overall hiding is very exploitable.

Also in Morrowind climb on a rock and use a spear.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I remember playing MGS5 and defeating Quiet by quickly marking her position and dropping a couple of supply crates on her head whilst I hid behind a wall.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
SimCity Classic: Replace roads with trains to curb traffic and pollution complaints

Heroes of Might & Magic 2: recruit ghosts, find low-level wandering mob, dominate the map

Final Fantasy VI: Vanish-Doom/X-Zone

Final Fantasy VIII: Import PocketStation and let the tomogatchi game run for a few days. Refine all materials gathered on import, break game over your knee

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (and maybe others, I forget): jumping resets your attack animation. Katanas are strong, and have a fast attack but a slow cooldown (as Soma puts the katana back in its sheath). You can easily attack, make a tiny jump to reset the animation, attack again, and repeat.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Does archery sneak build in Skyrim count?

I believe there is an AI exploit in street fighter 2 turbo where you can spam certain moves and the AI will always run into it. iirc it was Fei Long crouching medium/fierce, and Ken's standing roundhouse.

Diablo 2 necro skeleton army build? Diablo (normal difficulty) is the only real trouble because he has nasty nukes that obliterate your army, but you're extremely safe.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
When someone pointed out to me that enemy groups in DMC4 don't attack you if your camera isn't pointed at them it made harder difficulties much easier. Look away, charge up gun, look back, fire, repeat.

It also was amusing to watch people rage at Ninja Theory for this feature continuing in DmC as if it was something new that they added to dumb down the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
In both of the Souls games I've been playing (Demon's PS3 and Dark), backstabs are generally easier to get than they should be. Slow walking behind Balder Knights and one-shotting them works by early-game, among other cases. Damage for parrying definitely wins out, but it's so much safer to backstab everything possible. You can get through a lot of either game if you have just one good Regular damage weapon for backstabs. Apparently this gets nerfed in sequels and post-Dark Souls titles.