• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So every now and then i have a very, very, very intense short relationship with Game Dev Tycoon. I spend like two days playing it all day, complete it, and don't return to it for a year or two. I had that same experience with Stardew Valley twice (although a bit longer than 2 days, more like 2 weeks).

What games do this to you?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a short game persay, but the last game I went through in one sitting was Portal 2

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Donut County is extremely simple and short, but it's one of the most charming games I've ever played. Platinumed it in one sitting

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Currently River City Girls, I waited until a sale because I wasn't sure I'd like it (never liked River City Ransom) but in the past week I've completed it 3 times, got the 100% and all achievements and kinda want to play it again.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
The last game that really did this was to me (and it's not a typical 'one and done' short indie game) was The Last Guardian. I just couldn't stop playing, I was hooked.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Sayonara Wild Hearts was like this for me. Longer ago the original Luigis Mansion I passed in one long snowy afternoon after calling in sick, one of my happiest memories.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Inside, Journey and Gone Home have already been mentioned, but I remember starting playing at 8-9pm and playing all the way through in both cases because I was so entranced by what was hapening on screen.

In a different genre, Hexcell did this as well. But I guess great puzzle games will always do that.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Night in the Woods was a vortex for me this gen. I played through the game multiple times to find all of the interactions with citizens.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Coffee Talk the other day and really enjoyed it. Short and nice to relax and enjoy.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Bit longer than your example but Fortnite. When it came to switch, I got really into it (even won once) then after a few weeks just stopped. Since then the general skill level has hiked and any building muscle memory (which was very weak anyhow) is gone, so I doubt I could return even if I wanted to

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
OlliOlli + sequel, hotline miami when it launched, snake pass, Luftrausers. I'd mention spelunky but I wouldn't say it was that simple.

Flower is a good one too.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Portal, Limbo and Inside are definitely the sort of games you kinda finish once you sit down and play them because you really don't want to put 'em down.

Honourable mention to Spec Ops: The Line - it isn't THAT short (6-8 hours even if you explore), but it's so damn intense I pretty much always finished it in one sitting.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Last Day of June

Few hours only. Broke my soul and heart. Had to take a break of gaming for a couple of days. :)

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I came into this thread with this game in mind too!

So every now and then i have a very, very, very intense short relationship with Game Dev Tycoon. I had that same experience with Stardew Valley twice.

What games do this to you?
I also have this experience with Game Dev Tycoon on my phone (I originally played on PC but now mostly play on my phone when I do), I love seeing how far I can get in one or two sittings. I've only played through Stardew Valley once but I do have this relationship with Minecraft where I'll very intensely play for two or three days then look around satisfied with that world.

I will also put in another vote for Super Hexagon, and will go for another Terry Cavanagh game in VVVVVV. I love starting from the beginning and just playing until I get bored.

Another one is Road Rash II, every once in a while I'll jump back into it and work up to the most expensive bike before doing it all over again in a few months

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019

This. I remember playing it just to get it out of my backlog because I got it free with Gold. I figured: this thing is like 4 hours long. I'll play a bit every night and be done in less than a week. Half an hour later: I will find where this girl went and I will bring her home and I will MAKE MY PARENTS ACCEPT HER.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Firewatch did a brilliant job capturing the meditative beauty and vulnerability of being alone in nature, with a compelling mystery and two strong lead performances.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I don't do it a ton, but the last game I did this with was The Hex from the monthly Humble Bundle. It was so weird and varied and I had to see how it wrapped up.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Super Mario Bros 1. Speedrun through every level is very relaxing. Usually fails through stupid deaths and is not very fast but can be done under 35 minutes.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Not really a game, but more like working on my own projects in RPG Maker. When I really get in the mood, I spent most of my free time creating stuff over several days/weeks. And then I loose my interest and stop for months or even years before I return.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Currently River City Girls, I waited until a sale because I wasn't sure I'd like it (never liked River City Ransom) but in the past week I've completed it 3 times, got the 100% and all achievements and kinda want to play it again.

Hmm I to checking this out as a beat-em-up fan. I have been eyeing this and Fight'N Rage but waiting for sales on both.