• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I try this myself, but can't help myself from looking at work phone when new email pops up. These days I have set "sleep mode" so notifications don't appear on phone screen during certain hours. But every now and then I go the extra length and end up checking my mail.

Admittedly, nobody expects me to answer them off hours, so there is no pressure for me to do it.

I have no work phone and I have nothing work related on my personal phone. No slack, no work emails, nothin. Just something you need to be more strict with towards yourself. Colleagues do have my mobile number but I can trust them to only contact me if there is something extremely urgent going on.

Since you do have a work phone, put it in the charger in a separate room (not your bedroom) once you get home and don't look at it til you leave for work in the morning.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Agree with the thesis but it does depend on your manager. I don't have work email or calendar on my phone. Slack app is deeply hidden in a folder without any notifications on. My boss doesn't care.

Also fun tip: the reason SV is such a powerhouse is thanks to the army and the Department of Defense. Until the 80s/90s, most SV company contracts were for weapons research and military research.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
wat? You do know that California was still a powerhouse before the tech boom right?
Yes for sure but now it's the 5th largest economy in the world thanks largely thanks to silicon valley.

New economic data puts the California economy at $2.747 trillion — bigger than most nations. The ranking puts in fifth in the world, just ahead of the United Kingdom, which is on $2.625 trillion.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Are you in the US? That's sub-minimum wage.
Nope, I'm from Mexico and the company I work for is using (badly) the SV work culture (always in touch/connected, don't leave until we say you are done, shared working environment, etc) without the salaries or perks; hell, they even wanted me to park in a spot where my car isn't visible (I drive an '84 Datsun) because bad looks and stuff, but surprisingly HR defended me and I can park wherever I want in the lot.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This ain't new. Tech/startups have definitely boomed and they seem to have adopted this culture, but there are plenty of people who work in law, medicine, and business who already have little delineation between work and personal life. But without perks like free food and whatever else these tech places have.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they actually have 996 in Silicon Valley? I know that's very widely-used in the Chinese tech sector like places such as Alibaba. Never heard of it being a thing in the US until this article.

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhhh, work/life balance going out of whack has been happening for a decade or more. Not just related to silicon valley. The proliferation of smart phones really drove it.
Pretty much. Smartphones are just the more advanced versions of pagers/beepers, but the always on call ask by employers existed way before the modern Sillicon Valley

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Do places like Google and Facebook with those kinds of hours have a heavy turnover rate? Are they analogous to something like the Big 4 accounting firms where you work there for a few years as a resume booster and then leave for something more sane?

I struggle to imagine people in their 50s working those kinds of hours without zero health effects.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I got lucky. Got a job in an ad/adserving agency in the city, all the perks of a tech company (causal dress code, unlimited DTO, happy hours, free food and partner-sponsored events) but also a very inclusive environment and managers who care about work-life balance. My team's managers are always telling us that we should put life/health/etc over work, encouraging us to take personal days. It's the kind of place that encourages people to head home when 5:30 rolls around

Literally the same at my job. Though we have the few uptights that don't respect work life / personal life boundaries and will call you when you're off the clock.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Gaming is its own kind of hell. Expecting 3 people to do the work of 10 for 2/3 the pay a person would get outside of gaming. My favorite was "emergency" meetings that just happen to need to be done over lunch and nope can't have that hour back you're on a deadline for a demo at 5. I started to tell PMs to fuck off I won't attend if they want the stuff by EoD.

Thing is, it often is self driven and that is really bad. Luckily, we have a culture where we tell people to go home. My manager would often drop by to tell me to go home and not stay after regular hours.

But I always wanted to do more, to help people online because of whatever stupid reasons. Aaaand then I burned out and realised that I can't help everyone, it is just a job, and I should take care of myself first. :)

Haven't stayed a single minute late this year, don't care anymore if the world breaks, let alone a game is not behaving properly.

EDIT: Too bad I had to burn out to realise that.

Oct 27, 2017
Do places like Google and Facebook with those kinds of hours have a heavy turnover rate? Are they analogous to something like the Big 4 accounting firms where you work there for a few years as a resume booster and then leave for something more sane?

I struggle to imagine people in their 50s working those kinds of hours without zero health effects.
If you've been working at these places for years, you will be a millionaire by the time you're in your 50s and probably at the level of position where you wouldn't have that expectation to work that many hours or be able to find a job with a better work/life balance with ease

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Story from the "we really want to be Silicon Valley" company I worked for in the early 2010s:

When I started, the company allowed any employee to work overtime (didn't need to be approved) and paid all of it. So, mostly being young, we'd all work 10-12 hours a day, six days a week. I still only made about $50k my first year but I thought that was great money at that time in my life.

Well, the company hit a rough patch and had to stop paying overtime. They announced to all of us that it had been cut and wouldn't be paid anymore. OK, that sucks, but after a year of that I thought I'd risk burning out anyway. So back to 40 hour work weeks, no problem.

About three months later, during performance reviews, I didn't get a raise. In fact, I was the only employee on my team that didn't get one, even though my work product was exceptional. I went and asked my supervisor about it, and she said, "Oh, management said you didn't get a raise because your work ethic and attendance isn't as good as your peers."

"What? I've never been late or missed a day, and I exceed all my goals."

"Well, yes, but... Well, they said that they were disappointed when you stopped working overtime hours when they stopped paying overtime hours. They really expect more hustle from staff."

"But... it's literally illegal for me to work without being paid....? It's probably also illegal to pass me over for a raise for not doing illegal things."

"Sure, but we've crunched the numbers and it's more profitable to just pay wage claim settlements and fines than it is to follow labor laws, so...."

Actually, reflecting on it, this was probably the moment when I truly understood what "late stage capitalism" meant.
Damn. That's quite the company policy!

Fuck companies that think like this.

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely offenders but painting tech workers as victims is always amusing to me. Most of us work 9-5s we just have way more benefits and pay.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Story from the "we really want to be Silicon Valley" company I worked for in the early 2010s:

When I started, the company allowed any employee to work overtime (didn't need to be approved) and paid all of it. So, mostly being young, we'd all work 10-12 hours a day, six days a week. I still only made about $50k my first year but I thought that was great money at that time in my life.

Well, the company hit a rough patch and had to stop paying overtime. They announced to all of us that it had been cut and wouldn't be paid anymore. OK, that sucks, but after a year of that I thought I'd risk burning out anyway. So back to 40 hour work weeks, no problem.

About three months later, during performance reviews, I didn't get a raise. In fact, I was the only employee on my team that didn't get one, even though my work product was exceptional. I went and asked my supervisor about it, and she said, "Oh, management said you didn't get a raise because your work ethic and attendance isn't as good as your peers."

"What? I've never been late or missed a day, and I exceed all my goals."

"Well, yes, but... Well, they said that they were disappointed when you stopped working overtime hours when they stopped paying overtime hours. They really expect more hustle from staff."

"But... it's literally illegal for me to work without being paid....? It's probably also illegal to pass me over for a raise for not doing illegal things."

"Sure, but we've crunched the numbers and it's more profitable to just pay wage claim settlements and fines than it is to follow labor laws, so...."

Actually, reflecting on it, this was probably the moment when I truly understood what "late stage capitalism" meant.

That's the catch, IMO. They want you to put in the 100%, but they don't want to do the same for you.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of my work day every single employee can fuck off. I don't check my emails or answer calls, and a stupid ping pong table won't keep me around longer. I refuse to be a slave to my job.

Brown nosing, crunching, staying late—it never amounts to anything other than making a boss or manager look good. I go in, do my job, do a GOOD job, and then fuck off.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Depends on the company. There are good tech companies out here in the bay area with great work cultures. Gotta look hard.

Just like everything else, 98% of the companies suck. But damn near 98% of pretty much everything sucks, Silicon Valley isn't shielded from that rule.
It shouldn't have to be this way, though. Perhaps only 2% of companies being decent places to work seems normal/acceptable to you. I see it as a big problem that millions of folks have to fight over those meager 2% of non-shitty jobs. Something needs to change with the work-life culture these days, or else quality of life is going to be further suppressed by these infernal capitalist machines.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I work for one of the Silicon Valley Tech giants and it's honestly pretty good with working hours. We get to finish early often. Good perks too.

Edit: I used to work in hotels before, which really was a 24 hour job. Dudes be calling me at 3am and expecting me to get dressed and come in because one of our hotels had situation that could have been dealt with during office hours.

Last edited:

Magni

I don't understand why people need table tennis and beer in the office. I've visited a bunch of different clients - mostly in the US - and every one of them has had a table tennis or table football table that's never been used, and a load of bean bag chairs nobody's ever sat in.

Perhaps it's because I've worked from home for so long - about a decade - but the last thing I'd want is more home comforts in a communal office. I'd rather just go home if I want to play table tennis, or do a quiz, or drink beer.

It really depends what stage you're at in life. I've been in tech since my first co-op internship while still a student. My first job out of school was your typical tech office: free breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks (including alcohol), a game room (mainly used for Smash) and a bunch of communal areas with sofas, etc. I was in my early 20s,working with a bunch of peeps in their early 20s, and we hung out a ton at the office, even on the weekends sometimes. It's not like we were working crazy hours: for the most part I'd get in at around 10h30, some people showed up for lunch. Beers and Smash would start at 6. After that some would go home, some would go eat together (or order in) and the night owls who sleep all morning would work another hour or two (so in the end everyone was working their fair share). It was basically a couple of extra years of university, but with a ton of free stuff and infinity times more money.

Years later, as a married father of two, I sure don't want that life anymore. That's why like you I work remotely. But it made perfect sense for those first couple of years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
In Silicon valley everybody works all of the time and nobody works any of the time.

I think the work culture of a handful of companies -- Google, Amazon, Apple -- is made to seem like this monolithic ethos in tech, and then other tech companies seem to model themselves after those companies, or pretend like they do.

But this wasn't even tech that introduced this. The "Work till you die" culture had been on Wall Street for decades before big tech, in Insurance and business and sales and finance. CPAs and young attorneys are still expected to put in 60 and 70 hour weeks to "do their time" until they're partners. Tech, by contrast especially in Silicon Valley was more like a college campus, Stanford, Cal Poly, MIT, because early tech ... largely was driven by research divisions of universities.

It doesn't have to be that way, and it doesn't have to be that way in technology. Good companies respect your life, give you balance. I work in technology and virtually never take work home, I don't check my phone when I leave, I don't check my email on weekends, I'm almost never asked to do anything outside of work hours, and hell I don't even work that hard when I'm at work with a balance between meetings, development, planning, and then some amount of time to myself... I try to go for a walk every day, when the weather's nice I try to bike.

It really depends what stage you're at in life. I've been in tech since my first co-op internship while still a student. My first job out of school was your typical tech office: free breakfast, lunch, snacks, drinks (including alcohol), a game room (mainly used for Smash) and a bunch of communal areas with sofas, etc. I was in my early 20s,working with a bunch of peeps in their early 20s, and we hung out a ton at the office, even on the weekends sometimes. It's not like we were working crazy hours: for the most part I'd get in at around 10h30, some people showed up for lunch. Beers and Smash would start at 6. After that some would go home, some would go eat together (or order in) and the night owls who sleep all morning would work another hour or two (so in the end everyone was working their fair share). It was basically a couple of extra years of university, but with a ton of free stuff and infinity times more money.

Years later, as a married father of two, I sure don't want that life anymore. That's why like you I work remotely. But it made perfect sense for those first couple of years.

Yeah, this is my experience with that too. I used to have a social life that was strongly ingrained with my work life when I was young, and so those perks were nice office benefits. Now though, I've got a social life almost completely separate from work and the last thing I want to do, ever, is hang out at work after work with my coworkers. I'm old, have a family, I want to be home. Occassionally I'll get together with a coworker on the weekend, but we're more friends at this point than coworkers. When I was young, though, it was different... Regularly used to go out for drinks, go out on the weekends, etc., with my coworkers.

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I work in tech, in Silicon Valley, but IDGAF.

I do my 40 hours and bounce. I work remote quite a bit and it's the same. 8 hours a day.

I've seen that no company is loyal. If they need to cost cut and get rid of you, they will, no matter how loyal you are, how long you've been there, or how hard you work. I love where I work and the people I work with, but I have no loyalty to them.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhhh, work/life balance going out of whack has been happening for a decade or more. Not just related to silicon valley. The proliferation of smart phones really drove it.
This is absolutely it.

With email on your phone came the workplace 'expectation' that you'd respond or at the very least read it immediately.

Not saying there weren't work/life balance issues before email and smartphones, but it was once a much more significant technical barrier.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Overall I agree with the feeling that companies do the "fun" perks as a way to keep you working longer hours. However, there is something to be said for companies that do offer some perks. They don't have to be sillicon valley caliber, but I've worked in companies that are cheapasses and that's also terrible. So when you have a job where that is the case, it is often more demoralizing when you hear that other companies around you offer things like free pop, food, have green spaces where you can take a walk or fun rooms where you can go blow some steam after encountering a particular difficult problem/situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Memphis, TN
I hate my job but the only thing that honestly keeps me around is the fact that it allows me to have hard and fast rules about not working outside of the office / outside of my normal hours. I have personally taken that to the extreme, I have 2 google voice numbers that go to my cell phone, one is my general number and the other is a work number, that work number is the only one my co-workers or any business contacts have. It is set up to not ring after 5pm or before 8:30am, nor forward any texts during those hours. My email on my phone is also set up to not show notifications during that time. I havent friended any coworkers on social media and honestly if I saw them just outside in the world I'd probably do my best to avoid them. I want to make absolutely sure none of these people have the ability to contact me unless I'm working. If my office burns down at 5:03pm on a Friday I'm gonna find out about that shit on Monday morning at 8:30am and no earlier.

Oct 27, 2017
I work in tech, in Silicon Valley, but IDGAF.

I do my 40 hours and bounce. I work remote quite a bit and it's the same. 8 hours a day.

I've seen that no company is loyal. If they need to cost cut and get rid of you, they will, no matter how loyal you are, how long you've been there, or how hard you work. I love where I work and the people I work with, but I have no loyalty to them.

I work in the tech industry as well, same here, outta there as soon as my 40 hours are done. WFH 2 days permanently(unlimited WFH with reason), excellent benefits and perks. Wouldn't trade it for the last traditionally run shit company I worked for.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very good point actually, I haven't thought about it like this. I work for a successful start-up company in a country with better workers' rights, but the work life balance is definitely a little out of control despite all that.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley certainly contributed to it, but not through HR practices or even deliberately - Silicon Valley contributed to it by creating technologies that crumbled the barriers between work and life - there were always industries where crunch culture and constant availability "ruined" home life - journalism, television, movies, deadline driven production environments where anything other than perfect adherence to plan resulted in crunch, late nights, unpaid overtime and so on.

Many of those industries account for this in the culture - and the staff are either naĂŻve neophytes who learn quickly whether it's for them or not - or are seasoned pros who accept it and have their own tools to either deal with it - or don't actually care about it - many embracing and enjoying it.

I was in print journalism in the early 90s before the internet was a viable tool - before cellphones were ubiquitous and long before smartphones existed. The barrier between work and home life was a technological one. To get a hold of an employee, or for employees to be aware a problem existed, or a task available, was a herculean problem of land lines, couriers, even telegrams.

The most recent erosion for me is long haul flight. That used to be a pocket of silence - an oasis of planning or rest or catchup on media and literature because for 8-14 hours, I was unreachable. Now I can stream HD movies (when it's bloody working) from my seat, but that also means I am available to solve or create problems for and with my colleagues.

I don't personally mind because it suits my restlessness and scratches various creative or problem solving itches, but I always advise my staff to use me as an example of what not to do. I never email or call at the weekend, evenings or holidays - with rare actual emergency exceptions - but I'm often working with people internationally across time zones, so I HAVE to be available to people in St. Petersburg or London or Hungary or Tokyo or Taiwan and so on. They need answers during work hours, or I'm contributing to THEIR life/work corrosion because my responses or queries would be coming at those very same off hours. They have different holidays, traditions and social norms.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I work at one of those FAANG companies named in the article. To be honest my work life balance has never been better, coming from consulting. The perks are incredible and I can't see myself having as good of a balance between pay / free time anywhere else. Some people might over do it, but from I see that's more the exception rather than the norm.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Silicon Valley culture is super embarrassing but tech jobs in California are some of the cushiest jobs you can get. Everybody's making six figures minimum, flexible hours with work from home, stock benefits, no dress code, food and gym provided, etc.

Are people aware that some people in America have to work two shitty customer-facing jobs with strict hours just to pay their rent? Compared to other historically "prestigious" jobs like Law or Finance, day-to-day software jobs can be a million times less stressful and strict for similar pay

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I just want free meals and remote work whenever possible.

You don't have to choose is the point. As someone working outside of SV (former researcher, current data analyst, always been in the education space), I get free meals, remote work whenever I want, etc.... and I also never work more than 40-42 hours a week (sometimes I overestimate traffic and get in early). I'm always out by 5 at the latest, 4PM more often than not (if I go in). When I'm remote, I don't answer emails or calls after 5PM. Firm.

It's a complete delusion that work has to be the way you're describing. Like the culture there has gotten its workers to believe that everybody else works that way too. Speaking for myself, I don't work that way, I never have (except in grad school lol), and won't moving forward.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Enjoy our open concept office and five bowls of candy. Please stay and work 60 hours per week.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I used to work at Amazon before my current job and I was never expected to have professional stuff on my phone. I got to work at 9:30 and left at 4 and was able to work remotely guaranteed once a week, often more if requested.

I think my office life only improved once big tech Silicon Valley culture happened and I got a job at a FAANG company.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to choose is the point. As someone working outside of SV (former researcher, current data analyst, always been in the education space), I get free meals, remote work whenever I want, etc.... and I also never work more than 40-42 hours a week (sometimes I overestimate traffic and get in early). I'm always out by 5 at the latest, 4PM more often than not (if I go in). When I'm remote, I don't answer emails or calls after 5PM. Firm.

It's a complete delusion that work has to be the way you're describing. Like the culture there has gotten its workers to believe that everybody else works that way too. Speaking for myself, I don't work that way, I never have (except in grad school lol), and won't moving forward.
I never said work has to be the way I am describing. Never did I say that. I suggested that should work require I work more than I'd like, so long as those perks are available, then I'd be fine. I was not under any delusion to think that there are no companies that offer great benefits such as free meals and flexibility while ensuring you still work under 40 hours and respect your time.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
I work at one of those FAANG companies named in the article. To be honest my work life balance has never been better, coming from consulting. The perks are incredible and I can't see myself having as good of a balance between pay / free time anywhere else. Some people might over do it, but from I see that's more the exception rather than the norm.
Agreed. It seems like people want to believe that in order to have these perks you need to sacrifice on work life balance and that simply isn't true in my experience or what I've seen from others.

I've had more support from my colleagues and manager to take care of myself and better work life balance than at any job I've ever worked at previously.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley culture is super embarrassing but tech jobs in California are some of the cushiest jobs you can get. Everybody's making six figures minimum, flexible hours with work from home, stock benefits, no dress code, food and gym provided, etc.

Are people aware that some people in America have to work two shitty customer-facing jobs with strict hours just to pay their rent? Compared to other historically "prestigious" jobs like Law or Finance, day-to-day software jobs can be a million times less stressful and strict for similar pay

This. Premise of the article seems detached from reality. Major Silicon Valley companies have been making quality of life for employees better, not worse. It's smaller startups and non tech companies that make it worse.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My office has some of these perks, and nobody is working free overtime because of them lol.

We might do a quick gaming tournament during lunch or schedule a happy hour over table tennis on a Friday.

The perks are just perks. If the managers are pressuring people to work more that's no different from other bad companies.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
Eh... I'm thankful for the casual dress code and working from home culture.
Plus, having a table tennis does not equal to working extra hours all the time. The table tennis, in a decent company, means that the employer is aware that nobody is able to produce quality work and concentrate 8 hours straight, and sometimes an employee will need to stretch his legs or relax a bit.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the only thing I want from my company to adopt from Silicon Valley is being able to work from home.

There is literally nothing about my job that requires me to be in the office. But they are very old fashioned and don't want people working from home. When the seattle area got hit with snowmageddon last winter they just had people stay at home and use sick/personal days if they wanted to get paid. Meanwhile some of the salary people literally got hotel rooms next to the office so they could get in to work. And its because they don't even have the infrastructure in place to be able to work from home. That spring they asked us all if we would want to work from home in case of emergencies and we all said "Uh yeah, duh." It's a big company too (Costco) but way too behind in terms of tech solutions.

I used to work for LogMeIn which had a very silicon valley feel but they did it well. We had beer every thursdays but it was after 5. So if you had a shift that went later you could go down for 30 min and also bring a beer back up to work. But if you were done with work you just chilled and weren't expected to work. It was purely intercompany networking. They had a pretty great structure for the full time employees. Unfortunately me and many others were contract.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This. Premise of the article seems detached from reality. Major Silicon Valley companies have been making quality of life for employees better, not worse. It's smaller startups and non tech companies that make it worse.

Have to agree here. I've worked for a handful of tech companies, including Netflix and Uber and it really is what you make.

Flexible hours are a benefit or a curse depending on your personality.

Yes, I would sometimes work a long week right before a major release. But other weeks I would just take time off for an event or leave early because I had errands. If my dog is being a little shit in the morning, I'll check email and get started on my day before heading in late.

The flexibility of connectivity can be bad, but it can also be a great enabler if you user it rather than letting it use you.

As Stinkles says, my time as a full time journalist was way more stressful, with a notsogood work/life balance. Tech life in the Bay Area doesn't even come close.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping work and private life separate is the one rule I'll never break. 8 hours a day and I'm gone.
yup
once had to explain to a manager- got told to choose between my dog and work... he looked like a deer in the headlights when I didn't even hesitate to say my dog. I had to explain that the commercial products we were making were not more important than the well-being of my dog/loved ones and my personal responsibilities outside of work

of course this person considered themselves "the steve jobs of the studio" so I just "didn't have the passion" 🤷

benru

Feb 7, 2018
Reading these threads always makes me realize how fucked up my industry is (architecture). I currently work 10-12 hours a day and I really can't see how anything could get done properly in our office if everyone worked 8 hours or less, barring us hiring a bunch of new qualified employees. Whch we can't do since there's no money. You literally have to be an obsessive maniac to get anywhere in this field, which I guess i should be thankful for being, to some degree.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's the secret: the SV tech firms actually have good work-life balance, along with amazing perks and benefits. It's the old companies just copying the latter and calling it a day that's fucking everyone up.