• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you just going to sit there eating pizza?

• Yes

Votes: 551 92.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.2%

• Total voters

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I've wondered if the final area of Silent Hill 1 being a mishmash of previous areas was just because the developers didn't have enough time to create an original final level. And if that's also why the amusement park is so short and unfinished-looking (it's just four rides, an ice cream stand and some benches).

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
You know, I've wondered if the final area of Silent Hill 1 being a mishmash of previous areas was just because the developers didn't have enough time to create an original final level. And if that's also why the amusement park is so short and unfinished-looking (it's just four rides, an ice cream stand and some benches).

The final area of the game was meant to be the culmination of everything that had happened up to that point. It was also meant to throw the player directly into Alessa's thoughts. At their core, Silent Hill 1 and 3 are Alessa's story.

You are probably right about the Amusement Park level. There was some stuff that Team Silent/Project Siren wanted to do that didn't make it.
  • Toyama wanted to show the bullet impacts and broken glass, but wasn't able to because of hardware limitations.
  • There was supposed to be a segment where the player temporarily lost their weapons, but this idea was recycled for Silent Hill 2.
  • Team Silent wanted the player to be able to fall down the holes in the floor in the Otherworld, but this idea was recycled for Silent Hill 3.
  • Certain areas of Midwich Elementary School and several creatures were scrapped. Midwich was going to have more windows to the courtyard.
  • There are pink locations marked on the map that the player doesn't get to enter, indicating scrapped content or a production mistake. The major rumour is that there was supposed to be a Cybil sub-scenario in the game that was cancelled. This makes sense because there is a Cybil scenario in the Play Novel where she visits some of those areas. The sub-scenario idea was later used for Born from a Wish in Silent Hill 2. A playable Cybil was also used for a tech demo for Silent Hill 2.
  • There are unsused living rooms, locations, textures, and Puppet Nurses in the game's files.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I guess SH2 and 3 aren't coming to GOG. I feel like they would've leaked by now.
That's a shame, since they're still up to be sold on Xbox & PSN so unsure what the issue is.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Even though it is the HD collection, the Xbox 360 version is on sale right now for $7.49, and is backwards compatible. At least it's a cheap alternative to getting the original discs on PS2 or PC.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
As someone who missed 3 when it originally came out and only played it as part of the HD collection, I'm curious. What was changed in the script? Is there another thread or page that details this?

When you payed the HD collection, you might have noticed that the voices don't correspond to the subtitles. Those are the script changes you are seeing, they just never bothered to update the subtitles.

Here is a list of some of the creative changes including some of the script changes (but also ignoring the technical issues that also impact the creative side).

• Saving the game at a Halo of the Sun is fade-to-white instead of fade-to-red.
  • All music has been reworked or changed entirely. It is most noted in the Otherworld mall; the ambient music has been changed to a punk rock type of beat.
  • When Heather first meets Claudia, a baby's cry can be heard. Also the Game Over sound can be heard in this cutscene.
  • In the intro, a 3-second clip of Valtiel bending over to drag Heather Mason's corpse in Lakeside Amusement Park is changed to a 3-second clip of Heather turning on her flashlight in Lakeside Amusement Park. This was likely done because the original scene wasn't in HD.
  • There are some script changes. Despite these changes, the subtitles still read from the original script.
    • Claudia says, "They've come to witness the Beginning. The rebirth of Paradise, unspoiled by mankind." She previously said "despoiled".
    • The sewer fairy says, "I have finally found a truly honest person" in reference to Heather's gender, rather than, "I have finally found a truly honest man." [10] (Original localizer Jeremy Blaustein has approved of this change.)
    • Vincent tells Heather Mason (the reincarnation of Alessa) about Dahlia and that "she is your mother". This is corrected to as "she "was" your mother".
    • After Heather finds her father murdered, she finds Claudia and says, "I'll kill you, you bitch!'" rather than "I'll get you for this!".
    • Near the end, Vincent says God has "terrible" taste instead of "lousy" taste.
  • The scene in which Heather returns to her apartment to find her father dead has been changed so that Harry Mason'sface is seen.
    • This is likely unintentional and simply a result of both games lacking proper cutscene letterboxing, as some of the cutscenes of Silent Hill 2 show letterboxing appearing, disappearing and reappearing in some scenes whenever the camera angle changes. Most notable of this is the introduction of the Lying Figure monster.[11]
    • Because of the lack of letterboxing, there is a quick one-second shot up Heather's skirt, which her vest is seen through.[12]
  • In the original PS2 release, Cheryl Mason, Harry Mason and Lisa Garland's voices were extracted from the first game, with subsequent ports omitting them altogether. These voices have been re-dubbed for the HD Collection.
  • During the Leonard Wolf boss fight, both Heather and Leonard are able to sprint full speed in the water as if the water doesn't exist.[13]
  • During Claudia's final speech, Innocent Moon is replaced with Maternal Heart, which is redundant since it already played when Heather spoke to Vincent in the library.
  • When Heather pukes God, a massive puddle of blood forms.[14][15]
  • In the Xbox 360 version, Memory of The Waters may be removed entirely when Heather cries after killing God.
  • When Heather returns to Douglas Cartland after the final boss, his coat is noticeably much bloodier than in the original for unknown reasons. This makes no sense because it is implied that Claudia injured Douglas' leg using telekinesis.

And the voice acting comparison really hammers home how different and frankly jarring the new voices are:

The new voices sound like an anime episode

Last edited:

Behanjin

Jan 17, 2018
Ireland
When you payed the HD collection, you might have noticed that the voices don't correspond to the subtitles. Those are the script changes you are seeing, they just never bothered to update the subtitles.

Here is a list of some of the creative changes including some of the script changes (but also ignoring the technical issues that also impact the creative side).

And the voice acting comparison really hammers home how different and frankly jarring the new voices are:

The new voices sound like an anime episode

Thank you for the detailed answer. I genuinely had no idea so much was changed.

When I played it in the HD collection I was shocked at how much the quality had dipped compared to 2 (the PS2 original, not HD version). I thought it was always that way.

I did notice the subtitles not matching, but that is quite prevalent in localised games so didn't think much of it.

Really appreciate the info, thanks!

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
Can someone please point me to a post, thread, video, or guide that shows the absolute best way to experience both SH2 and SH3 currently?

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please point me to a post, thread, video, or guide that shows the absolute best way to experience both SH2 and SH3 currently?
PC Versions.

For Silent Hill 3, install the Silent Hill 3 PC Fix by Steam006 Here.
You can install a no DVD/CD exe to run completely off your HDD/SSD Here.

For Silent Hill 2, install the Enhanced Edition Here.
This already has a no DVD/CD as part of it.

You can set them up in Steam if you like as well after doing so to launch from Steam. You can find various icons and banners by googling or make your own. Make sure you disable the Steam controller support over these games in big picture mode--it may mess with controller input. If you need controller setup, I can get that for you as well.

Last edited:

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020

Well, hopefully soon on GOG haha.

But to answer your question, downloading the PCSX2 (a PS2 emulator) and downloading the ISOs from a safe site (such as Vimm.net) is probably your best option. You can also get them on MyAbandonWare, but the process of installing/playing is convoluted.

The first game can be bought and played on the PlayStation 3.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, quick question, is the right analog stick in Silent Hill 2 supposed to do anything? I feel like it should be a camera control as it's the only one it's not working in, but it's also the earliest one and may not have been a thing yet.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, quick question, is the right analog stick in Silent Hill 2 supposed to do anything? I feel like it should be a camera control as it's the only one it's not working in, but it's also the earliest one and may not have been a thing yet.
It is for controlling the camera, but you have to hold down the R2 button first.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Homecoming is $3.99 on Steam right now. Shit, for that price I'll take it just to experience the occasional good moments in the game with the 60 fps mod.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
All I remember about Homecoming are the insanely gory death animations, especially the
drill in eye scene that is perhaps even worse than Dead Space 2's laser.

Been playing through the Room for the first time in ages and the ghosts are so effective at constantly putting you on edge. Really enjoying it tho the inconsistent and often bad textures in comparison to 2 and 3 are a bummer. But hey, lower budget and development issues.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say it, but I never felt the ghosts were effective at being tense or scary. I've mentioned before that they look kind of stupid aside from Cynthia and Richard (they look like generic zombies floating in the air). Draining your health just by being near you doesn't make them scary, it just makes them annoying. But the main thing is that they're actually not that dangerous or hard to deal with aside from the four special victims (and I make sure to immediately take them out with the swords when I play the game). It's a shame because a bunch of unkillable monsters that follow you from room to room for a majority of the game should have easily made SH4 the scariest of the original 4 games, but instead it ended up being the least scary of the Team Silent entries.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Homecoming is $3.99 on Steam right now. Shit, for that price I'll take it just to experience the occasional good moments in the game with the 60 fps mod.

maybe that's cheap, but the game is honestly not worth your time. Your time is better spent just putting on the soundtrack.

Dhafer

May 31, 2019
apparently Suehiro Maruo instagram account is fake,
the one who posted the Silent Hills and midtown east konami pictures.

google translator: "Maruo doesn't do Instagram! !!
Everyone, be careful."
a2c124ac6eb00f668700fdfa4c054da8.png

Tweet Link

google translator: "I can't delete fake Instagram!
Oh, what should I do?"
e1114674196a0c5fc679dc5316775d6a.png

Tweet Link
and this is the silent hills and konami pictures that was posted back in April&May by this instagram account.
lmswu36k0or41.png

9hkhl4k5k7151.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
apparently Suehiro Maruo instagram account is fake,
the one who posted the Silent Hills and midtown east konami pictures.

google translator: "Maruo doesn't do Instagram! !!
Everyone, be careful."
a2c124ac6eb00f668700fdfa4c054da8.png

Tweet Link

google translator: "I can't delete fake Instagram!
Oh, what should I do?"
e1114674196a0c5fc679dc5316775d6a.png

Tweet Link
and this is the silent hills and konami pictures that was posted back in April&May by this instagram account.
lmswu36k0or41.png

9hkhl4k5k7151.jpg

I was afraid something like this would happen. I wonder why he waited so long to debunk that Instagram page.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Silent Hill 2 mod is really something. I vowed to never play that depressing game again (not really) but it looks great. Also beat SH1 for the first time ever recently. weird game haha. Gonna work on 3 before PS5 I hope.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
per tradition, I started my SH1 replay today (I've done it every Halloween Eve for *gulp* 21 years).

It honestly never fails to impress me.
I still get goosebumps when I hear the child crying in the 2nd floor bathroom of Midwich and the phone call from Cheryl scene.
Just an absolute masterpiece this game is- and the feeling of tense oppressiveness still impacts me the same way it did 21 years ago.

Please. Please let us get another Toyama SH game. Even though the SH2 we got will always be in my Top 5 All Time, I'm like a crackhead itching to see what Toyama could do as a return to Silent Hill.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
All I remember about Homecoming are the insanely gory death animations, especially the
drill in eye scene that is perhaps even worse than Dead Space 2's laser.

Been playing through the Room for the first time in ages and the ghosts are so effective at constantly putting you on edge. Really enjoying it tho the inconsistent and often bad textures in comparison to 2 and 3 are a bummer. But hey, lower budget and development issues.
maybe that's cheap, but the game is honestly not worth your time. Your time is better spent just putting on the soundtrack.

I'm probably going to piss some people off with this but I absolutely love SH:Homecoming.. first time played it probably in 2009-2010, it was the PC port - didn't had any big or major bugs or problems with the game (in all honesty I don't really recall any bugs at all), the combat was fun, played with M+K without any problems, graphics were great, atmosphere was nice, not many jumpscares, I loved the writing, story and characters, boss fights - which generally I dislike in any videogame - were really good in this one (Scarlet boss fight is one of the few exceptions for me of a boss fight that is actually interesting and fun to play), monster design was fire, music was gorgeous, etc..
I never played SH1/2/3 so yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that SHH is one of my favorite horror games right besides such games like Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth, Cryostasis, Condemned, The Suffering, Blood, Sanitarium, Deadly Premonition, Clive Barker's Undying, Dead Space, The Evil Within 2, etc.. I tried SH4:The Room demo but the combat was totally atrocious and it seems that all the classic SH have/had the same combat system which is a shame because I had interest in playing SH2 and SH3 on the PC - no teen/adult needs to take 5 seconds to swing a pipe, for fuck sake.. thank god for good combat system in Homecoming.. and yes, I know that game messes up the lore and such, but I don't care - many great games have huge plot holes or have messy lore between the games in a single series
BTW is there a way to play SH1 on the PC?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I absolutely love SH:Homecoming [...] I never played SH1/2/3 so yeah,

I mean, I'm glad that you liked it, but at the same time, your point of reference is a bit skewed especially if you've never played SH1,2 or 3.

But you do you. Just understand why other people dislike it

BTW is there a way to play SH1 on the PC?

Emulation via ePSXe. As far as a Silent Hill friend told me, there's a version floating around with everything ready to go.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
I got some flack when Little Hope was revealed when I noted how similar it was to SH (certain things). I started it last night and the similarities are overflowing. This genuinely feels like what Supermassive would do with the series if they got their hands on it. I know it was rumoured (confirmed?) that SM made a pitch to Konami (or vice versa) for the Telltale style SH we heard about. I'm inclined to believe this game still has a lot of remnants from that period in time when Konami was scouting studios to make it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I got some flack when Little Hope was revealed when I noted how similar it was to SH (certain things). I started it last night and the similarities are overflowing. This genuinely feels like what Supermassive would do with the series if they got their hands on it. I know it was rumoured (confirmed?) that SM made a pitch to Konami (or vice versa) for the Telltale style SH we heard about. I'm inclined to believe this game still has a lot of remnants from that period in time when Konami was scouting studios to make it.
I can tell you 100% without a doubt Supermassive Games were one of the studios that Konami contacted in 2018 for a pitch for a Silent Hill game, and they were seeking out an episodic TellTale style game for one of the two reboots. That I know 100% as fact.

I don't 100% if Little Hope has remnants of that pitch in it, but I also highly suspect it does, knowing this for a fact, with the time frame, the actual content of the game, etc. I'm mighty positive they liked the idea they pitched, changed things to not get into legal trouble (plus probably just changed some things they wanted to change to make it their own thing and not a Silent Hill game).

I don't know the second thing, but it really feels like that with what I do know.

I wonder if we'll get another Dusk Golem "he's lying because that is what devs do in Japan" post about this.
Japan developers do lie to protect secrets, I don't even know why me stating that is somehow controversial when there's very well recorded examples of companies like Nintendo, Capcom, even Konami themselves (I need to refresh myself, but I do recall off the top they lied about their firing of Kojima & taking his name off Metal Gear, at the time rumors came out they said he was just on vacation and nothing was happening, which was a bunch of Bull). I'm being completely serious that the East and West's attitude on NDAs are quite different.

But I never had any deeper thoughts on the Suehiro Maruo stuff. Even if it was real, it wouldn't have anything to do with the game actually in development, at the very most he attended some meetings for a thing most likely not happening (the stuff with Kojima). It being fake, or had it even been real, didn't play into anything I had heard. I did believe it was real like others here did, but I just thought it was Kojima inviting his friends in other industries he often does to lunch or something. Which the stuff I had heard about never involved Kojima or him anyways.