• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you just going to sit there eating pizza?

• Yes

Votes: 551 92.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.2%

• Total voters

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2 may be the video game I know the most about without having actually played it.

Is the Abstract Daddy the most fucked up monster concept in Silent Hill?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 2 may be the video game I know the most about without having actually played it.

Just as a survival horror fan in general and over the years watching so many retrospectives on Silent Hill games and it's overall impact to the survival horror genre. I also liked the first movie and never watched the 2nd one due to the horrible reviews and word of mouth.

You two need to get on with that shit!

As for the monsters, I love the two pairs of legs, it's just so twisted. Ito better bring his S game to this thing that hypothetically exists, maybe, totally.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Bubble Head Nurses are my favourite SH enemies, but that might just be because I'm a degenerate.

That Gecco statue is some good shit.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for making this TheJollyCorner ! I've been holding myself back from buying all these games. I did buy Silent Hill 2 before these prices got crazy!

I've always wondered, does anyone else love Silent Hill Origins as much as I do? I played through it on PSP and thought it was great.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019

Just as a survival horror fan in general and over the years watching so many retrospectives on Silent Hill games and it's overall impact to the survival horror genre. I also liked the first movie and never watched the 2nd one due to the horrible reviews and word of mouth.
Me too.
Why haven't you played it yet?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking a lot of where the SH Reboot could go, story-wise.
Will it be another 'looking for someone' plot? Someone just trying to escape? Something completely out of left field?
I really liked how The Room was just a guy trying to, well, get out of his room... and the only way to progress to that goal was blindly going through these bizarre holes that would open up into unknown places, ultimately throwing him right back into his furnished prison.
Then the ultimate zinger of Henry's main purpose in the narrative being that of one of 21 victims of a killer.

It's cliche as hell, but I've always wanted a SH that told the story from the perspective of a PI or something; like Douglas in SH3. Sure, it would be yet another 'looking for someone' plot, but an almost Noir-like mystery within Silent Hill could be interesting. Referencing The Wicker Man up there made me think of the potential.
I think Silent Hill is at its best when it tries something new.

For example, 2 didn't go for the cult story and, while the initial reception was bad, it is what it is today; 3 returned to the cult due to the fanbase's pressure, but still with a new (and my preferred) protagonist; 4 turned the whole thing upside down, and while it didn't work super well, it was an interesting try; the canceled 5 was going to experiment with daylight horror; Shattered Memories explored 1's story through the lens of 2, which was a good effort.

Meanwhile, Downpour and especially Homecoming were fairly safe. They tried to portray 2's atmosphere, and while Downpour did try some different stuff, it still felt like it was exploring nostalgia fairly often.

The unexpected and uncharted territory helps make this franchise what it is, but it's also what can divide the community a lot. I still think it's worth the effort.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was like this for years. Knew I'd love the games, but had no idea how to go about playing them. Konami sure didn't make it easy.

I still haven't played Homecoming (to completion), Downpour or Origins. Not really dying to, either.
As a primary Xbox player, I'm hoping the BC team makes the OG Xbox Silent Hill 2 and 4 BC to XB1 and XSX so I can experience them the first time. I plan on playing Homecoming and Downpour due to the 360 games being already BC. I unfortunately didn't buy Downpour before it got delisted, but luckily had a chance to buy it recently when MS accidentally relisted it but weeks later they revoked my license and refunded my money. 😢
Why haven't you played it yet?
I was really only a Resident Evil fan during the PS1-PS2 days. It wasn't until the end of last gen where my taste for survival horror started to expand and unfortunately the HD collection had terrible word of mouth so I had no interest in buying it. However I would play it if it happened to be given away as a Game with Gold. LOL

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
reasonably priced copies are hard to come by and I don't want my experience to be marred by the trainwreck that is the HD Collection. If I wanted to play it I'd have to resort to...unscrupulous means...
I don't think there's any shame in pirating it for either PS2 or PC (with the Enhanced Edition mods). It's not like Konami has done a great job of making a quality version of it available to purchase and purchasing from resellers isn't supporting anyone who made the games.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Ya'll make me want to go back and finish Downpour. That game was one of two games where the frame rate was so bad for me on a PS3 that I didn't finish.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Ahh yes my new home!

I see many people look over SH1. Most lists tend to have SH2/3/then 1 but I would argue it's the best SH. At the end of the day you can't go wrong with any of the SH's from 1 to 3. I have so many memories with this series really hope that rumor is true.
Oh and Downpour was a decent game. Not anywhere close to the best but definitely found enjoyment.

SH1 has an atmosphere (much of that being surreal beauty sharply built by PS1 polygons and lighting) that is really in a place of its own. Sometimes it's hard to put my finger on. It has a simplicity and darkness that kind of gets lost, IMO, with the more cinematic predecessors of the series. It just feels like a weird dream (hurhur nightmare!) and that makes it so unsettling. It's also why the admittedly average-to-bad voice acting somehow isn't the victim of more public mockery. In any other game the voices would be lambasted more, I feel - but the dialogue is so reserved in SH1, combined with the atmosphere I just talked about, it just... works. It's sleepy... dreamy... off-putting.

I really adore SH1. It remains one of the few PS1 games that I can still go back to without feeling like my eyeballs have been stabbed and it's the only SH game to legitimately scare me. I don't knock the other games for not being able to achieve that, as I think they are striving for different emotions (especially SH2 and 4), but Toyama was able to do a lot of really creepy, creative things with SH1 that just hit me in a 'scare the shit out of me' way that none of the others did.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Silent Hill is at its best when it tries something new.

For example, 2 didn't go for the cult story and, while the initial reception was bad, it is what it is today; 3 returned to the cult due to the fanbase's pressure, but still with a new (and my preferred) protagonist; 4 turned the whole thing upside down, and while it didn't work super well, it was an interesting try; the canceled 5 was going to experiment with daylight horror; Shattered Memories explored 1's story through the lens of 2, which was a good effort.

Meanwhile, Downpour and especially Homecoming were fairly safe. They tried to portray 2's atmosphere, and while Downpour did try some different stuff, it still felt like it was exploring nostalgia fairly often.

The unexpected and uncharted territory helps make this franchise what it is, but it's also what can divide the community a lot. I still think it's worth the effort.

I always thought that daylight horror is an excellent idea, not just for SH but in general. Just a more challenging approach for the devs that could lead to really cool results. I would love if some of those concepts found their way into the reboot.

I played a bit of Origins, didn't like it. Played a bit of Shattered Memories but it didn't grab me. Played Homecoming all the way even if I didn't really like it a lot (I needed my SH fix back then) and when it got to the twist, it felt like a silly rip off of 2. Never tried Downpour, but I don't think I will, unless it's on PS Now, I'll eventually get that and will give it a try if so.

I agree that the franchise is better off trying new stuff.

Getting back to the reboot, I hope they're careful about the voice direction. It not being this perfectly produced professional acting thing always did wonders for the the mood and feeling of the games. It's an important part of the whole.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Reminder: the Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition will run on practically any functional computer, and is easy to install along with an exe from an abandonware site. Come *clap emoji* at *clap emoji* me *clap emoji* mods.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
See, I never really liked the cult aspect of the first game compared to the town itself being the effective antagonist of the second. I prefer that sort of "everything is fucked, because it just is" concept. I also felt the second did a much better job of building atmosphere and the general uneasiness you had just walking around, more than I've felt in practically any other game. It's still the best in the series as far as I'm concerned.

Dammit, I really should break these out for October, but I don't know if I'll find the time to actually play through 2 & 3.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder: the Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition will run on practically any functional computer, and is easy to install along with an exe from an abandonware site. Come *clap emoji* at *clap emoji* me *clap emoji* mods.
I had it downloaded on my surface pro 6 but I kept having issues with it. I need to try it again.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
This is a great section:

(SH3 Spoilers)

Man, The Missionary is such a creepy enemy. I remember being on edge when this fight happened.
Also- love the work by Richard Grosse (Douglas) here. RIP.

I still remember the trailers for SH3. And that music by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn... I was so impressed. It's actually the game that made me buy a PS2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I always thought that daylight horror is an excellent idea, not just for SH but in general. Just a more challenging approach for the devs that could lead to really cool results. I would love if some of those concepts found their way into the reboot.

Interesting how some of Resident Evil's design shifts have followed Silent Hill, especially since it was Konami that set out to make a Resident Evil clone back in '98. Certainly not saying they were intentional, but it's worth mentioning.

That interview discussing 'daylight' fear for SH5 occurred in early 2005, I think. RE5's first teaser trailer made it a strong point to show how bright the scenario might be. It even had that hazy summer light where you can almost feel the heat just by watching it (takes me back to SH5's proposed '1970s/Texas Chainsaw Massacre' look/atmosphere that was mentioned in the interview). In the final release version of RE5 there is a good deal of daytime horror.
Then PT comes out and makes a big stir in mid-2014, showing off its first-person chops. Fast-forward to RE7, which went first-person horror for the first time in the mainline series' history.

Now, I know I've read that RE7 was in development at the same time Kojima was making PT/prepping for Silent Hills (which wasn't even guaranteed to be FP anyway), but it's still a neat parallel.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Even though SH4 didn't turn out as great as I'd hoped, I remember being extremely excited when I saw the first trailer they released for it.

It still creeps me out to this day.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Silent Hill HD Collection is the epitome of Gen 7 and 8 Konami, wrapped up in a nice, shit-stained bow.
Absolutely shameful.

In my restless dreams, Bluepoint was hired to do the Collection. :{

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
God damn hell of a Community thread! Last summer I did all that major work to get them up on PC, but I enjoy the ease of the PCSX2 versions as well. The SH2 work is nothing short of stunning on the Pc side - I'm always so grateful. Hoping for that revival endlessly, it's a wild time.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ive been doing a ton of research into Silent Hill Origins the past few years that people might like. This one is a bit dated (as in I know more now), but it shows a lot of the original version of Origins

One of the favorite bits I did was when I found the source files for the "Silent Hill Next" trailer that leaked prior to Origins being announced, so I re-rendered it in 4k.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I should be ashamed that i got the platinum for the HD collection on the PS3 and i'm also planning to do the same for the 360 version that i got while it was on sale last month?

I just need that SH fix from time to time.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
I don't think there's any shame in pirating it for either PS2 or PC (with the Enhanced Edition mods). It's not like Konami has done a great job of making a quality version of it available to purchase and purchasing from resellers isn't supporting anyone who made the games.

This. If a game is quite literally out of print and there's no way to "buy" it outside of an extremely jacked up price (I.E. No One Lives Forever sells for like $400 currently.) with no way to digitally buy it either, I see "unscrupulous methods" in a less "evil" light.

I actually bought SWAT 4 and XIII (The game based off the Belgium comic book) on GoG and Steam even though I already had copies of them. (SWAT 4 didn't have a digital version available for like 10+ years and physical copies both are a problem with some PC's not having CD drives and physical versions selling for $150+ due to the fact they've been out of print. XIII was de-listed from the GoG storefront after a licensing issue for like 8+ years) If you make a game available for purchase officially after I've "acquired" it by other means (Again, usually due to it basically being out-of-print abandonware) I'll buy it retroactively.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting how some of Resident Evil's design shifts have followed Silent Hill, especially since it was Konami that set out to make a Resident Evil clone back in '98. Certainly not saying they were intentional, but it's worth mentioning.

That interview discussing 'daylight' fear for SH5 occurred in early 2005, I think. RE5's first teaser trailer made it a strong point to show how bright the scenario might be. It even had that hazy summer light where you can almost feel the heat just by watching it (takes me back to SH5's proposed '1970s/Texas Chainsaw Massacre' look/atmosphere that was mentioned in the interview). In the final release version of RE5 there is a good deal of daytime horror.
Then PT comes out and makes a big stir in mid-2014, showing off its first-person chops. Fast-forward to RE7, which went first-person horror for the first time in the mainline series' history.

Now, I know I've read that RE7 was in development at the same time Kojima was making PT/prepping for Silent Hills (which wasn't even guaranteed to be FP anyway), but it's still a neat parallel.

It is interesting. I don't fancy myself the conspiracy theory kind of guy, and I don't even know if Capcom HQ and Konami HQ are both in Tokyo or whatnot, but I can't completely accept devs saying it was a coincidence that RE7 took on a first person perspective, even if yes, it was already in dev.

It came out 2.5 years after PT. I mean, cmon. Call it devs knowing each other and discussing work casually or whatever you like, but it's not coincidence. Or rather, I don't believe the reception to PT was completely unrelated to 7's new POV.

Vice-versa could apply, obviously, but at the risk of sounding elitist (I'm not, I love RE), RE devs never seemed out to reinvent the wheel when it comes to horror whereas Team Silent always were more experimental (for better or worse).

I realize I'm ranting, sorry. This post makes me realize I'm excited as fuck for Village 🤷‍♂️

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ive been doing a ton of research into Silent Hill Origins the past few years that people might like. This one is a bit dated (as in I know more now), but it shows a lot of the original version of Origins

One of the favorite bits I did was when I found the source files for the "Silent Hill Next" trailer that leaked prior to Origins being announced, so I re-rendered it in 4k.

Thanks. Watching now.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. If a game is quite literally out of print and there's no way to "buy" it outside of an extremely jacked up price (I.E. No One Lives Forever sells for like $400 currently.) with no way to digitally buy it either, I see "unscrupulous methods" in a less "evil" light.

I actually bought SWAT 4 and XIII (The game based off the Belgium comic book) on GoG and Steam even though I already had copies of them. (SWAT 4 didn't have a digital version available for like 10+ years and physical copies both are a problem with some PC's not having CD drives and physical versions selling for $150+ due to the fact they've been out of print. XIII was de-listed from the GoG storefront after a licensing issue for like 8+ years) If you make a game available for purchase officially after I've "acquired" it by other means (Again, usually due to it basically being out-of-print abandonware) I'll buy it retroactively.

Without getting into the whole piracy argument, I will say that Konami are sitting on money keeping the SH games out of steam/other online platforms. It's like Atlus levels of "oh persona 4 sold a shit ton on steam, what a surprise" levels of imbecile. It's not in the same ballpark as far as sales are concerned of course, but there's enough demand that it should be considered. It's silly.

Maybe it'll come down the line if the franchise gets reinvigorated.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
There isn't, but I'm pretty sure Era still considers it piracy, lol. So I have to be like "yo fight me mods idgaf" every time I mention it.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

that's super cool

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on sort of a Silent Hill marathon the last couple of months. Finished replaying Silent Hill 3 a couple of weeks ago and recently got down with 4. You know, I think I actually prefer SH4 over 3. 4 is not a better game obviously, nor is it really scary. But I do like the tone, story and atmosphere of 4 a lot more than 3 (though 3 has the better characters, art style, and horror). I also don't think the gameplay in 4 is quite as bad as people say, at least once you know what to do. Learning the dodge move helps a lot, and Eileen isn't much of an issue as long as you don't give her weapon. Also, if you make sure to immediately pin down the new ghosts once they appear and exorcise the hauntings than it really lessens some strain during the second half.

Having to backtrack all the way to the apartment door in the final section is still annoying though.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mind me, just posting my favourite SH video.

Still remember that. The HD version is such a glorious mess.

Managed to snag a physical copy of SH2 PC for a reasonable price earlier this year, so now I'm just missing the physical PC version of, ughhhh, Homecoming. And I want the PS2 or Wii version of Shattered Memories too as I only have the PSP version..

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Even though SH4 didn't turn out as great as I'd hoped, I remember being extremely excited when I saw the first trailer they released for it.

One of the best directed/edited video game trailers ever made. Hands down. So much isn't even taken from actual scenes; just seems like the devs making cool stuff with the in-game camera. The overall direction of that trailer made me convinced in the months leading up to release that SH4 was going to be legendary. It's just so damn unsettling and mysterious.

Look, I actually like SH4 a lot... probably more than most. It just pains me to see the potential in this trailer and objectively knowing the final game didn't go all the way with taking advantage of it. With my dying breath I'll still blame Konami for presumably pushing the game out when it still needed a few more months in the oven, because I'm convinced Imamura & Tsuboyama had something really special cooking and didn't get to see it all the way through.
Everyone did a great job with what development time they had. Other than maybe the monkey-like creatures, the monster designs were damn good (even without Ito), Yamaoka's OST was awesome (a lot of the released music for SH4 doesn't even appear in the game), character designs were really good, and the graphics, although not quite SH3 level of technical wizardry, were still impressive. The overall story was pretty damn unique, too.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

Honestly, if all we get for the next Silent Hill game's reveal is a trailer in this vein, I'm totally down for it. One of those trailers that has stuck with me since I saw it 16 years ago.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope SH comes back in a big and proper way, SH1 and 2 are still one of my favourite games of all time (SH2 especially). PT's cancellation was such a fucking gut punch since it was really promising.

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Just call the game Silent Hill: The Medium and go.

I hope The Medium is really good and does well, but man, if there really is a Toyama/Ito/Yamaoka SH Reboot with the backing of Playstation Studios coming... Bloober's game might end up feeling like an RC Cola next to a Coca-Cola Classic. :D

Not a huge fan of their previous games, but The Medium looks interesting to me!

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Bloober don't scratch the same kind of itch, not even close and it's not having SH composer and a dual world thing that will change that.

And I say this having liked some of the stuff they did with Observer (I found Layers of Fear largely unremarkable).

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not sure I love that they're piggybacking off SH this hard, especially considering the game won't come close to SH1-3 (maybe not even 4).

Jdevil99

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread, I just restarted 3, Downpour and Shattered Memories. I should probably replay them in order but I've always been about moods I'm in to drive my decision making on replaying stuff. All 3 of them are at the top of my favorites list, SH 2 still tops em all, but I'll fight anyone to defend Shattered Memories.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
200.gif