• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 25, 2018
Not being a master at Shakespeare, I have no idea how an average person is supposed to figure it out. I can't imagine trying to figure it out without the internet.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I think it's only absurd on Hard puzzle difficulty. But yeah it's silly as hell. On Normal I recall it being sensible.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
For reference:

Easy
There will be no memo here, but only some numbers seen among the three books already on the shelf but the number is not complete because two books are missing. Use Shakespeare Anthology 1 and put it in the first slot. Then use the cursor and select the next book, which is Shakespeare Anthology 3, from the blue box and put it in the next open slot, which is the third slot. A code will then be revealed.

Normal
"Fair is foul, and foul is fair.Put these books out of order."
From the clue in the memo, the player has to arrange the five books on the shelf, but not in order. So do as it says; put all the books on the shelf randomly at first, then rearrange them so the four-digit code among the five books looks proper. Once Heather has done so, the code will be revealed. The code is always random.

Hard
The riddle on hard.

"In here is a tragedy---
art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.

The first words at thy left hand:
a false lunacy, a madly dancing man.
Hearing unhearable words, drawn
to a beloved's grave---and there,
mayhap, true madness at last.

As did this one, playing at death,
find true death at the last.
Killing a nameless lover, she
pierced a heart rent by sorrow.

Doth lie invite truth?
Doth verity but wear the
mask of falsehood?
Ah, thou pitiful, thou
miserable ones!

Still amidst lies, though the end cometh not,
wherefore yearn for death?
Wilt thou attend to thy beloved?
Truth and lies, life and death:
a game of turning white to black
and black to white.

Is not a silence brimming with
love more precious than flattery?
A peaceful slumber preferred to
a throne besmirched with blood?

One vengeful man
spilled blood for two;
Two youths shed tears for three;
Three witches disappeared thusly;
And only the four keys remain.

Ah, but verily...
In here is a tragedy---
art thou player or audience?
There is nothing which cannot
become a puppet of fate or an
onlooker, peering into the cage."

The above memo, which describes the puzzle, is located by the locked door. Read it carefully and then examine all the anthology books in the inventory and note their anthology number. All of these Shakespeare books are tragedies, which is the theme of this puzzle.

The first and final verses are just an introduction and conclusion to the poem. They don't have any significance so pretend they don't exist. Imagine the 1st verse is actually the one that begins with "The first words at thy left hand", which implies that the books must be arranged from left to right.

Fortunately, this puzzle also gives some room for error if the player mixes the last three anthologies - as long as the final code is 8352. No matter what though, Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet MUST be interpreted as Anthology 1 and Anthology 2, respectively.

• The 1st verse is Hamlet, which is Anthology 4.
    • "A false lunacy" describes how Hamlet feigned his madness. The "unhearable words" are those of Hamlet's deceased father, the ghost. Hamlet's "beloved" is Ophelia, and at her funeral, a fight occurred between Hamlet and Laertes.
  • The 2nd verse is Romeo and Juliet, which is Anthology 1.
    • "Playing at death" refers to how Juliet faked her death by using the sleeping potion. The "nameless lover" is Romeo, in reference to the "What's in a name?" passage. Juliet is heartbroken by Romeo's death, and she suicides by piercing her heart with a dagger.
  • The 3rd verse is Macbeth, which is Anthology 3.
    • This verse is the most vague, but the theme of lies and truth is most prominent in Macbeth. The book deals with the moral ambiguity of Macbethseizing the throne through lies and deception.
      • Due to the room for error, depending on the conditions, the player may also interpret it as Othello (Iago's lies could be seen as "inviting truth", and Desdemona could be seen as wearing a mask of falsehood due to Iago's lies and accusations against her), but it can NOT be interpreted as King Lear.
  • The 4th verse is Othello, which is Anthology 5.
    • This verse also speaks of truths and lies, referencing Iago's lie about Desdemona's adultery, but the last two lines are an important hint. Othello is also the name of a board gamewhere players can capture each other's pieces, changing their color from white to black and vice versa. Also, "black" and "white" is mentioned and Othello and Desdemona are of black and white ethnicity, respectively.
      • Due to the room for error, depending on the conditions, the player may also interpret it as Macbeth or King Lear.
  • The 5th verse is King Lear, which is Anthology 2.
    • It refers to Lear's daughter Cordelia, who loves her father the most, but isn't vocal about it, letting her actions speak instead. Her two sisters offer false flattery to Lear, while actually they're only after his throne.
      • Due to the room for error, depending on the conditions, the player may also interpret it as Macbeth (the flattery would relate to Lady Macbeth's flattery of Macbeth, and the "throne besmirched with blood" would refer to King Duncan's murder by Macbeth), but it can NOT be interpreted as Othello.
From left to right, with all the books in proper order, the code appears to be 4-1-3-5-2.

The penultimate (second to last) verse describes the manipulations needed to perform with this code to receive the final solution.

• One vengeful man spilled blood for twoThe "vengeful man" is Hamlet, book 4. "Spilled blood for two" means that the book's number has to be multiplied by two; 4 × 2 = 8. The code is now 8-1-3-5-2.
  • Two youths shed tears for threeThe "two youths" are Romeo and Juliet, book 1. "Shed tears for three" means that the book's number has to be multiplied by three; 1 × 3 = 3. The code is now 8-3-3-5-2.
  • Three witches disappeared thusly; And only the four keys remainThe "three witches" appear in Macbeth, book 3 (which is the last 3 in the code, not the one you just multiplied). This means this number needs to be skipped, so that the code only has four digits.
The final answer is 8-3-5-2.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
9dfecb9855f0d4781f78ed6a2756bd96b4e8d1a0bcf14b0a0aab2e988026eac2_1.jpg

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
Puzzles on Hard is the way the developers intended the game to be played, git gud.

(You picked Hard setting for puzzles so yeah, get used to it haha)

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 3 on Hard Puzzle difficulty does ask for outside knowledge from the game.

Some will hate that, but I have a very good memory of this specific puzzle holding a stream a few years ago, forgetting the solution but asking an audience of only about 50-60 people not to spoil or look up the solution if they don't know it, and then spending 45 minutes sitting there debating Shakespeare with Twitch chat.

It's a good memory for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I hear about that puzzle all I think of is this amazing scene from Blackadder Back and Forth

Shakespeare has tortured us all.
Yes that's Colin Firth playing Shakespeare

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh never found it that hard tbh. Even a child could recognise what books those verses refers to.
Can't imagine people not having read Macbeth or King Lear.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great puzzle and i wish more games would dare to do challenge the player like that
Not when the puzzle requires information not found within the game. The description of the books barely give the player what it needs to decipher the puzzle on Hard and Extra.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game but that seems like a pretty great puzzle on Hard. Maybe not so much when the game doesn't explain them but I'm already familar with all of them.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
My college roommate and I staying up late trying to figure out the puzzles on Hard Mode is one of my favorite memories. So good.

The keypad puzzle is amazing too

where the keys correspond to the parts of the face the person in the story is eating

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's hard but then it's also hard puzzle difficulty so yeah. Not even fussed that the specific information isn't in game - Shakespeare isn't exactly obscure and even if you didn't know the specific details of the it for each, you can find synopses for these very easily that would help solve them.

Silent Hill did a great job in having multiple difficulty settings for the puzzles. I wish more games took this approach.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing. Silent Hill 3's puzzles on hare are fantastic. It elevates the game so much.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This is a great puzzle, especially on hard.

The way you are supposed to solve it? Do research. While there could be some more stuff in-game that would give more context, I think it's fine if the game is referencing real world content that can be easily searched on the internet or at a library.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
First time I played this game was with a couple of friends. We played on hard puzzle difficulty and this specific puzzle has remained a running joke till this day. Always happy to see other people joke about it.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Ah yes i remember that fucking thing, me and a friend struggled for half a night to solve it on hard while drunk on red wine and high as kites, we where in a cabin in the middle of the woods with no internet access so we couldn't cheat, good times.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The Shakespeare part seems like the easiest part of it, though that might be the result of certain cultural biases on my part. Those last few manipulations in that spoilered answer there however would definitely have kept me confounded for a long time, and I probably would have been a little annoyed when I finally figured it out. Maybe in a good way? But a similar puzzle that was instead about, I don't know, The Beatles albums or Star Wars movies would seem completely intolerable to me, so I guess I relate to the original complaint.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
How was this localised around the world?

Part of me likes that the game forces rudimentary knowledge about literature, but that is a nightmare for players in countries not used to reading in english.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I feel like the Shakespeare puzzle was the one that took me the longest.
The hanged man puzzle in SH2 on hardest difficulty is probably my favorite puzzle from the series.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone should've read these before playing SH3 anyway. Not only in order of priority in your life, but SH3 is MA and most of those are read in HS.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the idea of the harder SH puzzles, but IMO the harder ones are kinda pace destroying.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I could not have pieced together the fucking monster-eating-a-woman's-face poem was the code to the number keypad.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to have read the plays to know the stories—they're pretty ingrained into culture. I mean I'm pretty sure I knew the plot of Hamlet from Sesame Street before anything else. If you somehow don't know them, it's really not that hard to look them up.

"Everyone should have read these"

I feel like the original Japanese audience probably hasn't read Shakespeare

But again these stories are well permeated into culture. Kurosawa even turned three of them into films.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
"Everyone should have read these"

I feel like the original Japanese audience probably hasn't read Shakespeare

Since Tsubouchi's translations, Shakespeare has been naturalized with translations into modern Japanese and further disseminated through stage productions. As a result of this popularization, Shakespeare's stories and characters have become very appealing to Japanese people. A number of novelists have adopted the troubled heart of Hamlet as their own, and Hamlet's philosophical questions are well known as a significant and real issue for many people. Nowadays, Romeo and Juliet is also often adapted in various Japanese films and TV dramas as a tragic story of modern young lovers separated by some uncontrollable force such as war, discrimination or disease.