• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games ever made. First time a game trapped me in a psychological prison of dread. Spooked the shit out of me and made me feel unsettled for days afterwards.

MJKadhim

Mar 7, 2019
Sweden / Södermanland
When i see something like this thread ahh <3, dude this is one of the most lovely games that i wont forget
the soundtrack and everything in this game is <3
when i ever hear the music of SH2 all the nostalgia and great time come back to me

Last edited:

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yea this game is something else. Haven't done a playthrough in like 15+ years though, might get back to it but the lack of a modern version (not the HD ports) really blows

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'd play it if I had a way of obtaining it.
I tried playing SH1 on my Vita but eventually the horrid controls caused me to drop it. That and learning I had entirely missed the rifle, putting me at a huge disadvantage.
You can only ever miss at point blank so many times before wanting to throw your console out the window.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's astonishing and I wish we had a good HD collection.

I can still hear the ambient sounds walking through the forest and into Silent Hill even now.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
haven't even played it yet lol. I'll be doing the room first so I can end the team silent games on 3 and go out strong.
tenor.gif

And go out strong you will!

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
The first time that i experienced Sillent Hill 2 was with the HD collection.

Thanks Konami

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
The game was a masterpiece, if only there were more legit options for playing it on modern consoles. Konami is not interested however, they've got gambling machines now.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't until the final monlogue that made me realize why people debate this being the greatest game ever made.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was spoiled on the ending, and I still think that even though it's not my *favorite* game, it's the closest-to-perfect game that I have ever played. I only played it last summer.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play it until years after either and it walked easily into my top 5 ever. As has been said already, it's the pinnacle of games as an art form and storytelling medium.

God Konami are such fucking idiots.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Would love to play it, but can't seem to find a legal way to obtain a PC copy.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
What age are you @op?

Just curious to know how accessible it was if you're younger.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Amazing post. Silent Hill 2 is truly the first game that comes to my mind when I think about a gaming masterpiece. I get goosebumps just thinking about how smart, unique, deep, manipulative, uncomfortable, chilling and way ahead it is compared to so many other forms of entertainment.
Nearly everything makes sense in this game if you take the deep dive of analyzing it and it all fits together extremely well. Whether it is the sound/monster/level design, the multiple endings based on the choices you make in the game without even being aware of having choices at all or descending ever deeper into your own mind through holes. Even saving the game makes sense in this game !

One of my all time favorites and I hope more people play this game, take the time to take it all in and there is zero shame in not understanding everything that is going on and going through it afterwards. When I first played it (and I was much younger) I knew I played something special even though I didn't fully understand it. Years later I invested the time and my mind was blown how many little details I missed and still to this day I sometimes watch analyzing Silent Hill 2 videos and learn something new that I haven't paid attention to before.

I still do have a Paper Copy of Silent Hill 2 and I will probably never sell it. Sadly they butchered the SH2+SH3 PS3/Xbox360 versions of the game.

Everyone. Read this post. Buy the game and play it. Watch some videos. Play the game again and break out in tears of joy knowing you experienced peak masterclass.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SH2 with headphones is quite scary. I remember this was one of my first PS2 games when I was a child, but I don't truly grasp his true depth until I was in late teen years. If this got remastered I would be very happy.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The storytelling and writing are peerless. Isn't it absolutely mind blowing that this was written by nonnative speakers and voice acted by amateurs, basically? It's the finest the medium has to offer full stop.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It did win the ERA Top Essential Horror Games for a reason 👀👀👀

I'm glad you loved it man, unfortunately I first played it through the scope of like a 12-13 year old, years and years ago so I would've loved to experience it as an adult today.

The game is honestly iconic and I'm always fighting myself of whether I like 2 or 3 the most, it's so hard because they both achieve different things and both so godamn well.

I'm also glad you experienced a competent version, shed a tear for the HD version :')

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"In my restless dreams, I see that town...Silent Hill."

Such an amazing game, truly one of the greatest of all time. I kicked myself for not playing it earlier when I beat it last year.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Silent HIll 2 is a piece of art that, due to its legacy, should be automatically ported in every successive console generation.

Like some kind of Criterion Collection for video games.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
When would you say the game hit the point where you could no longer avoid playing the rest? I played a good 3-4 hours of the game and I didn't hate it, but the oldness coupled with the eerieness and my aversion to stressfull stuff made me put it down for a while and then for a really long while.

I've been wondering if this game has a moment that really gets to you where you just keep playing once you're across that.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Both Silent Hill 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga rest on my shoulders as THE masterpieces of gaming.

I don't think I will ever feel the same with any videogame, that i felt while playing SH2.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
The first time that i experienced Sillent Hill 2 was with the HD collection.

Thanks Konami

I was just playing it yesterday for the first time on PS3, since I'm on a survival horror craze. I couldn't stand it and had to play The Evil Within instead. I'm gonna try to get a hold of the PC version to play with the enhancements.

The HD version is abysmal. I can't believe Konami released that after the amazing Metal Gear Solid HD collection.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Glad you enjoy it, I'm very curious on how you would react to shattered memories since it is more story focused like SH2 and not as good game play I guess.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
When would you say the game hit the point where you could no longer avoid playing the rest? I played a good 3-4 hours of the game and I didn't hate it, but the oldness coupled with the eerieness and my aversion to stressfull stuff made me put it down for a while and then for a really long while.

I've been wondering if this game has a moment that really gets to you where you just keep playing once you're across that.

I was completely hooked from the atmosphere alone, but I'd say once
Maria
shows up the story itself really starts to get going.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Never had a PS2, played the first but not the second.

What's the best way to play it these days?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm convinced there will never be another game like it- especially for me on a personal level. Time and place had a big impact. I had lost someone very close to me the spring prior to release and I was still in a pretty dark place. The game resonated with me on that level... and obviously from an audio/visual entertainment level. Just incredible.

Hey Konami- fuckin' hire the people that worked on the Enhanced PC mod. Pay them. Re-release this game properly, damnit!

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017

I dont think Silent Hill 2 is a game that relies much on big set pieces or action beats, since its gameplay is quite archaic.

The story slowly revealing itself to you, piece by foggy piece; the sound design enveloping you in confused darkness. Being surrounded by the surreal and getting bombarded by subtle metaphors for the characters tragic stories on several levels is what makes It so brilliant.

If this doesnt sound like your cup of tea, don't bother.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's the high point of story telling in the video game medium, not necessarily because it's story is the best, but because it uses the medium's unique strengths to best tell it.

Now OP you can look forwards to many hours of YouTube deep analysis videos to increase your appreciation even further.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
in an era of Konami where they were making statements, miss those days, great game!

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I was never able to play SH2 myself, I had to get my older brother to play it while I watched because I got too scared. An absolutely legendary game.

It makes me wonder if/when teams look at what Silent Hill at it's peak did right in terms of gameplay and atmosphere and essentially copy what works. It's slow paced enough that non-gamers can get used to it, has great puzzle elements (Plus the option of harder/easier puzzles), combat is simple enough to understand and doesn't have all that much bloat and of course, the story is fantastic.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
YMMV but emulation is an option for playing. It's got a rep for having problems (you HAVE to use the settings in the wiki) but I didn't have any noticeable problems once I properly set things up.

...maybe I'll start playing it again tonight.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
What ending did u get?

It's one of the best horror games ever made, but I put the original, Fatal Frame Crimson Butterfly, and Haunting Ground above it as scarier games.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
haven't even played it yet lol. I'll be doing the room first so I can end the team silent games on 3 and go out strong.
Maybe I misunderstood your statement but Silent Hill 4 is the last Team Silent game, not 3. 4 is also really damn solid. I don't think it'd be such a bad thing to end your journey on it but I digress.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2 has a pretty legit claim to being one of the 10 best video games ever made. It's nearly perfect.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
It wasn't until the final monlogue that made me realize why people debate this being the greatest game ever made.

Yeah, that read is phenomenal. Not sure why it gets lumped in with some other games when it comes to bad voice acting, as I actually think it's extremely fitting for the game and really great at times. This is especially true when you compare it to the HD collection:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that read is phenomenal. Not sure why it gets lumped in with some other games when it comes to bad voice acting, as I actually think it's extremely fitting for the game and really great at times. This is especially true when you compare it to the HD collection:

You want to know something funny? I thought redoing the VO in a SH1 remake would be a good idea. But I rewatched the final Lisa scene and realized that...something was raw and real about it that made me wonder if all the bad/weird acting was worth it since it was those same amateur actors who pulled off that monumental moment.

So, SH2 comes along and am like "ok, I can see why they redid it" and then the last scene happens and, my god, the exact same scenario occurs with some of the realist shit I have ever heard from the performance arts.