• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
From a special effects point of view I am not sure how well a modern ghostbusters would look. There is something very natural about the way the ghosts were (I assume ) were sculpted and painted that makes them look faded in a way that makes them look more ghostly. In contrast in the reboot all the ghosts just look too sharply defined.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
imkayM9.gif

I'm going to keep an open mind. It's gonna be tough.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
They had so many chances to do this before Ramis passed, but Murray was a dick about it. Now he seems to take any Ghostbusters paycheck that comes his way after his passing. Makes me sad to read about this now rather than excited.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
"Unbooting" is the new media future.
2000-through a chunk of the 2010s were about "rebooting", but little by little some franchiese have been leaning back to "returning" to original continuities/series. A part of me wants to believe it's because the companies found value in the original stories and worlds, but I'm more inclined to believe it's a play off the "cinematic universe" thing by saying, "Hey, why are we REBOOTING these franchises?! There's already a good established worlds to milk, er, build off of. The hard part, an established franchise and world, is complete, we just have to set NEW MOVIES in those familiar worlds!!"

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I guess I'm alone here but I saw this as less of a "I don't have to put up with Ramis anymore so I'll do it" and more "he's gone, I wish we had reconciled a long time ago- I owe him this".

I also remember Ramis' daughter doing an interview where she said what happened between them and when it was resolved.

Ramis and Murray were constantly arguing about their creative process during Groundhog Day. At one point, Ramis became so frustrated and incensed with Murray that he grabbed him by the shirt collar and threw him down. Murray cut him off cold after that.

She said Bill Murray was dealing with some kind of personal trauma and it sounded like alcoholism? So he was very sensitive and easily shaken, said Ramis felt awful but Murray wouldn't return his calls. They went 20 years without speaking.

Apparently when Bill Murray heard he was sick he showed up at their house with a box of donuts. She said he didn't bring up the past just hugged him, shared old stories and kept making him laugh.

I'll try to find the interview but I think it was from her book as well.

I remember it vividly because it fucking broke my heart to learn about it. I loved those two since I was a child, I loved their movies. I hate that this happened between them and I wish we still had Harold Ramis.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Is Bill Murray in debt? He's been doing a lot of movies lately, projects like this that he would've avoided entirely in his prime.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Ghostbusters 2 hate? Hell no, it's still pretty damn great. The last one was completely forgettable and not as good as the originals. I'm happy to have the cast back, I'm there day one.

Oct 27, 2017
Time for all the incel idiots to start writing blog posts about Answer the Call being wiped from existence or some nonsense.

Edit: Yes, I'm bitter at people claiming that Answer the Call was somehow the worst Ghostbusters-related thing ever when the franchise already got a miserable sequel in 1989.
Lol the two aren't remotely close. GB2 is a masterpiece compared to that recent piece of shit.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is great news, but I REALLY hope they can get Rick Moranis back. I miss him :(, he was in so many great movies I watched growing up it'd be nice to see him on screen again.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Meh. It's way too late for it for me. I may watch it later when I comes out in Redbox or Netflix, but I don't really have much interest in a Ghosbuters movie without Harold Ramis.

Deleted member 54469

User requested account closure
Mar 4, 2019
mad hype for this and the remaster of the game off ps3 and 360. im glad we collectively decided to forget about that trash ass reboot.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Time for all the incel idiots to start writing blog posts about Answer the Call being wiped from existence or some nonsense.

Edit: Yes, I'm bitter at people claiming that Answer the Call was somehow the worst Ghostbusters-related thing ever when the franchise already got a miserable sequel in 1989.
I watched this in the theature, I wanted the reboot to be good so badly so we got more Ghostbusters, I even wrote a review of my thoughts on it and that there's absolutely a good film hidden somewhere in all of the filmed material... But the final result is absolutely not a decent, let alone good, film as it is. Terrible cinematography and editing, almost no one ever seems to shut up for a second and take the film seriously, almost non of the jokes work, it somehow rehashed ideas more than 2, the score is god awful, Kevin is ridiculously dumb to the point of being disfunctional and the list goes on and on and on.

Like I said, there's absolutely a good film hidden somewhere in all of that footage and there are some great ideas spread throughout like the new weapons and Patty was mostly awesome, but the final result is such a mixed bag of terrible ideas and bad faith.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
From a special effects point of view I am not sure how well a modern ghostbusters would look. There is something very natural about the way the ghosts were (I assume ) were sculpted and painted that makes them look faded in a way that makes them look more ghostly. In contrast in the reboot all the ghosts just look too sharply defined.
I mean, we literally had a Ghostbusters movie come out 3 years ago that used CGI and puppets for the ghosts so we know exactly what a modern Ghostbusters will look like. Feel however you want about the actual movie but the special effects were fine. The reason the old ones looked more faded was due to how the film of the ghosts was layered over the film of the actors, something they don't need to do anymore so the effect is lost but they can probably emulate it if they want (I don't know why Feig would have tried to do that for his movie but I could see Reitman doing it for this, he used the original title cards and practical effects for the teaser) Seeing it in 3D was fucking awesome with the proton streams breaking the frames of the screen and making it look like the excess proton goop was falling out into the theater. I'm sure Reitman's kid will do it right.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They should take the kids from Stranger Things and make them stars of this movie. Problem solved.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the 2016 film.

Also, none of us know the fine details of the situation between Murray and Ramis - they fell out, as people do. We know that Murray eventually agreed to do the film if he died at the start, then vacillated and then Ramis got sick and killed that iteration once and for all. Murray was fine to return as the character for the video game though - if he had a sworn vengeance to deprive Harold Ramis of every new Ghostbusters project, he wouldn't have signed on to that. Sometimes things are complicated.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ERA, where you cut off family members like it's nothing, but two guys you've never met not reconciling and not making a (most likely not great) threequel is unforgivable.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
The 2016 Ghostbusters was a 2 hour long gag reel. It was one of the biggest disasters I've seen.

Now about the new one. Weaver, Aykroyd and Murray will likely just have cameos. You know just like all 3 of them had in the 2016 version.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Problem with the reboot wasn't the cast, it was the script. This new movie could suffer the same fate, though with the more experienced actors, maybe they will have much more of a say in it.