• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I think shadow bringers is my fave. BUT I think you hit on something very important and something that actually hits with me when playing these games and something I notice when engaging with some others when playing. It seems like folks don't understand/care or whatever about the ramifications and the after effects of fascism on that world and how people are dealing with that. And on that note I find people calling the empire and dealing with them on the source " petty squabbles " and not " people fighting off fascism " and how like actually vital that is to a person's existance and how important that is.

That's interesting, because while the Empire is seen as opressive regime (basically fascists), the biggest motivators are not "fighting fascist" but rather "defending recovering our country/nation". And the end of Stormblood they don't celebrate they defeated fascism, they celebrate they got their country back. Same wth the rest of Eorzea, which act as self-preservation rather to fight becuse is the right thing.

(Also is not like the rest of the nations aren't inherently flawed: Limsa Lominsa are basically a bunch of colonizers and Bozja had clear class issues. Which makes harder to sell as "good people fight against fascism", which is fine btw)

Out of curiosity, what parts did people feel was filler or felt like filler? I don't mean in terms of quest design. Besides the mining quests. That was just bad. I too went into the expansion kind of annoyed because I wanted to fight the Empire, but I ended up really liking the First and its characters. None of it except for the awful mining quests felt like filler to me.

Going to your big story climax just to be stopped by having to help Sahagins because you basically enderaged their whole species, was the vert definition of filler.

But that's an issue with how the story has to be structured around the usual MMO progression.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
This is wild to me lol. I think Shadowbringers is of similar quality to Heavensward with Stormblood (and the base game) being several tiers below. For me there are really only two reasons to play Final Fantasy XIV and it's the story and the boss fights. The boss fights are pretty good in general after a certain point (some point in Heavensward) but the story has really been an up-and-down affair with the low points being the base game and Stormblood and the high points being Heavensward and Shadowbringers. Stormblood and ARR have terrible antagonists and woefully underdeveloped conflicts.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's possible to disagree more with your premise. The fate of all worlds, including your own, hinges upon the fate of The First. The entire premise of Shadowbringers is that you are flung into a world on the brink of complete destruction; a seemingly bizarre and quaint world complete with its own history and culture. It having "nothing" to do with your own circumstances is both dead wrong and the entire point. The First is thematically supposed to echo the Final Days of the Amaurotines, and potentially the other civilizations having been brought down by calamities. The bleak and disparate existence of those living in the final settlements in this world are a stark contrast to your own, but that's the point - everything is a stone's throw from collapse, barring the selfless acts of all individuals even tangentially connected. The WOL unquestioningly dives through the gate to save both his friends and this suffering land that is full of authentic people from all walks of life, and even this was only possible because of Cid and the rest of the survivors from The Source of the past banding together for HOPE. They knew they would never see the fruits of their tireless labor, but labored on they did for centuries so that someone, somewhere, sometime could feel reprieve again. This was not about their own journey, but about the lives and fates of all beings.

OP, you say the events and world in Shadowbringers are too disconnected to feel relevant to your journey, but you misunderstand the purpose of this theme. Everyone makes it or nobody makes it, and its up to the selfless acts of everyone capable to delay and stop the upcoming cataclysm. Even an ecosystem we aren't familiar with is essential in the sense that people suffer and collapse will affect us. Everyone you meet along the way has either given up hope, fights for a better tomorrow, or is just trying to get by in the days remaining. Every one of these people are relevant to your journey because they all reflect facets of the mortal experience, both at home and in The First. You may be from different worlds but there is far more in common than there are differences. Hope is a beacon for all lives to gather, just as a city of people flocked to the Crystal Tower upon its sudden appearance that fateful day.

Then there's the fact that this story is like 80% of the Zodiark/Hydaelyn/Ascian story and it's like... da fuck, OP! This shit couldn't possibly be MORE relevant to the soul of this game. I get what your overall point is, but the very fact that the world in Shadowbringers is so wonderfully alien to our experience so far is what makes it so appealing. It's like you get to set foot in a completely different Final Fantasy, and I think that's pretty darned nifty. Thematically it's so firmly connected to our own story that the differences in setting and cast are only skin deep.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh I also found Shadowbringers really boring. To the point I ended up skipping cutscenes when I could tell that it wouldn't progress the plot much or do anything interesting, eg those boring quests about a wagon and a lion guy's dead wife or something. Yawn.

The beginning and ending is really really good but a lot of the in-between stuff is such a drag.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting, because while the Empire is seen as opressive regime (basically fascists), the biggest motivators are not "fighting fascist" but rather "defending recovering our country/nation". And the end of Stormblood they don't celebrate they defeated fascism, they celebrate they got their country back. Same wth the rest of Eorzea, which act as self-preservation rather to fight becuse is the right thing.

(Also is not like the rest of the nations aren't inherently flawed: Limsa Lominsa are basically a bunch of colonizers and Bozja had clear class issues. Which makes harder to sell as "good people fight against fascism", which is fine btw)

Going to your big story climax just to be stopped by having to help Sahagins because you basically enderaged their whole species, was the vert definition of filler.

But that's an issue with how the story has to be structured around the usual MMO progression.
I completely forgot about that. I did groan there but at least it wasn't as bad as the mining.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Emet Selch is great and the lore of the expansion adds a lot to the world.

But the main reason is the gameplay loop of going to a region, defeating the lightwarden and bringing night back to an area is extremely good for pacing. Much better than 'oh btw maybe we should deal with the primal'.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

But man if there was ever a time that I completely forgot about the filler because of how freakin great the section afterwords was, that would be it.

rucury

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
OP you are 100% right but people aren't ready for the truth yet.

I just finished the Shadowbringers 5.0 main story, I'm at the point where you get the "Shadowbringer" title. And... I think it's proably the worst MSQ out of the expansions. I saw so much praise for Shadowbringers, I felt like I was playing a diferrent game. Of course, it's quite good, don't get me wrong. But for sure I had a better time with Heavensward and Stormblood. I'm trying to understand, what was so good about Shadowbringers? The villain was predictable AF. The Exarch character was quite boring. And OH GOD THE OST is probably why I vastly prefer the other two expansions.

Just venting. Played through the entire 5.0 thinking "is this when it gets amazing or..?" Never got there. Ah well, will play through the rest of the MSQ for sure!

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen someome say anything positive about stormblood before.

Woah what? Stormblood may not have been perfect but it was an excellent expansion. I haven't seen people say anything overwhelmingly negative about the expansion, even if they were disappointed it wasn't as epic as HW.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Anytime I was in Rak'tika, Il Mheg or Amh Araeng I asked myself "is this a sidequest?" Not always but it did feel that way often.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers, as a whole, is filler.
You kill one of
both of
the remaining ascians that are in charge of all the others, learn what an ascian really is and what their end goals are, learn the true nature of Zodiark and Hydaelyn, learn about the origins of the the previous two, stop an incoming calamity, learn that the ascians only need one more calamity to summon zodiark again, learn how calamities and rejoinings happen, wrap up the story of Minfillia and the Warriors of Darkness, and set up a bunch more plot hooks for potential stories to follow.

If you didn't enjoy Shadowbringers then you're personal opinion but calling it a filler arc just because it doesn't take place in Eorzea when it does a lot to move the story forward is just inaccurate.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Just because you don't refer to what you are doing as such doesn't mean that isn't what you are doing. The people fighting off that oppressive regime is trying to change the material conditions of their lives. But they did fight fascism , and also in the case of storm blood they immediately get on the " we actually need to fight the garleans still even though we just became a country again because its bad for everyone " . People reasons for fighting fascism are varied but what matters and what's tangible is the end result. I don't even know what your point was trying to be here, its strange if i'm being honest.

Also places being bad doesn't mean fighting nazi's funded by a defunct extra dimensional death cult doesn't really negate the latter's existence and make their continued aggression even in their decline less bad.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because you don't refer to what you are doing as such doesn't mean that isn't what you are doing. The people fighting off that oppressive regime is trying to change the material conditions of their lives. But they did fight fascism , and also in the case of storm blood they immediately get on the " we actually need to fight the garleans still even though we just became a country again because its bad for everyone " . People reasons for fighting fascism are varied but what matters and what's tangible is the end result. I don't even know what your point was trying to be here, its strange if i'm being honest.

Also places being bad doesn't mean fighting nazi's funded by a defunct extra dimensional death cult doesn't really negate the latter's existence and make their continued aggression even in their decline less bad.

The point is that most of the characters motivators aren't driven to fight fascism but they have big nationalistic motivations, they fight to get out invaders, so the game does not really seem to try to show the possible ramifications of fascism, because they don't see to care much about it and is mostly used as a background. Hell, the current Save The Queen storyline revolves around a defacted Garlean Legatus which got the help of a person of a lower class that suffered under the past Bozja regime and aims 'supposedly' aims to create a much better place than the past Bozja.

Last edited:

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you didn't enjoy Shadowbringers then you're personal opinion but calling it a filler arc just because it doesn't take place in Eorzea when it does a lot to move the story forward is just inaccurate.
Hey guys remember that filler arc in dbz when the group travelled to Namek to fight Freeza, what was up with that, am I right (I agree with your post, just in case)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People hyped up Heavensward too, and I honestly couldn't understand it. Badly paced, clunky writing, some cool moments but it was a massive slog.

I can usually get it when I don't personally like something and a lot of people do, but I really struggled to see what others are seeing.

I want to try this expac, i'd like to see if I feel the same about it, but can't face plodding through the rest of the content to get there to see if i like it.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen someome say anything positive about stormblood before.

The music is really good. Also the Doma/Azem Steppe sections are pretty good too.

It's a very messy main storyline though. I'm still bitter at how badly the Ala Mhigan section was treated after all the buildup.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I just can't agree with this at all. SHB was easily the best expansion FFXIV has had. SHB > HW > SB

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the OP's take. Interesting points for sure. If i understand OP's take correctly, 3.0 should be considered as filler too. They went off to fight dragons Instead of the empire ;) However, it is worth noting that the 5.0 story was hinted way back in 3.x. The 5.0 story also directly deals with the Ascians and the core mythology. I would say, 3.0 should actually be considered more filler than 5.0.

I of course think none of the expansions are fillers.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the OP's take. Interesting points for sure. If i understand OP's take correctly, 3.0 should be considered as filler too. They went off to fight dragons Instead of the empire ;) However, it is worth noting that the 5.0 story was hinted way back in 3.x. The 5.0 story also directly deals with the Ascians and the core mythology. I would say, 3.0 should actually be considered more filler than 5.0.

Yeah I was thinking this too. You go to Ishgard at first to escape but then you stick around to solve their problems lol. But I guess there was no build up to some big face off against the Empire prior to HW.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh ShB has a lot going for it. The mystery of The First and your quest to save it I found really interesting and kept me glued to the end credits. Villain was great, probably one of if not the best FFXIV villain. He's so much more interesting than Zenos. And the inversion of a world being consumed by light, not dark, was not something I'd not seen before.

but I will say the subsequent patches haven't been as good as in other years. The MSQ we just got in patch 5.4 is for sure the worst MSQ since the 2.x era. So boring. It's been out for weeks but I can only get through minutes at a time because it feels like boring filler before the next expansion.

Last edited:

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh ShB has a lot going for it. The mystery of The First and your quest to save it I found really interesting and kept me glued to the end credits. Villain was great, probably one of if not the best FFXIV villain. He's so much more interesting than Zenos. And the inversion of a world being consumed by light, not dark, was not something I'd not seen before.

but I will say the subsequent patches haven't been as good as in other years. The MSQ we just got in patch 5.4 is for sure the worst MSQ since the 2.x era. So boring. It's been out for weeks but I can only get through minutes at a time because it feels like boring filler before the next expansion.
Eh, 5.1-5.3 is easily the best stretch of patch story we've had. 5.4 is more of a cooldown patch but I don't think it was boring. It was a much needed rest after everything that happened, and it finally dealt with some very long running storylines.

Frozencool

Oct 26, 2017
I won't bother to repeat what other posters have said because their love for Shadowbringers is very much the same as mine. However all I can add is that while I do totally understand where you're coming from as I also had this nagging "okay but what the heck is happening back in Eorzea" thought while playing it, Shadowbringers did something I've very rarely seen in games or media in general. The main way I describe it, is by comparing it to the Kingdom Hearts series, and KH3 in particular.

The KH series and KH3 have one major issue for me personally. KH poses questions about so many things, like "what is the nature of the heart", "can an artificial being truly possess feelings" and many, many others. There are big questions that we really need to know, and little questions that we would like to know, and then questions we didn't even know were on the table.

None of these questions have good answers. KH3, and many other RPGs or story based games, handled every question badly. Big questions got small answers that left you deflated. Small questions tended to be side-stepped or ignored completely. Questions we didn't even know we were supposed to ask got blown up to high heaven as being the most important things in the face of the universe (MICKEY'S SHIRT GUYS, AND MOBILE GAMES TOOOO).

Shadowbringers and FF14 in comparison have been a masterclass in posing questions, and giving proper, nuanced answers. It is willing to simply give you an actual explanation, deepen the rules of it's world without completely shattering them, and then move on to the next question fully. Big questions get appropriate attention (we just had an entire expansion dedicated to one of the biggest mysteries: Who the hell ARE the Ascians?) and smaller questions get answers without crowding our attention (What makes a race a beastman race? Nothing, it's just a term used by richer civilizations to oppress poorer ones).

But I do get where you're coming from still. "What the heck is even happening with the Empire" is (at least for me personally) one of the biggest questions within FF14 remaining. However it's such a big question that I can't blame the Dev team for shunting us off to the First, because frankly the Garleans deserve to have something closer to an expansion to themselves, rather than share it with the Ascians. We saw what happened last time they tried to have two similarly huge plot lines share in the same expansion and we got Stormblood. If we had to explain the Ascians while also dealing with the Empire we would have gotten the same reception, and as much as I will still say that Stormblood is a great and worthy expansion, I cannot in good conscience give up Shadowbringers for it. It's a rare gift that we got so many good answers at all.

I will say though, that with recent patch events I don't even know if we're even going to the Empire at this point, so I share your frustration.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I think for me, I liked the very fact it was isekai lite. I liked that it was post apocalypse and the scale of the world was very small so you could learn everything about this place in 1 expansion. I found the general concept behind the story and setting fascinating and very much FF9 inspired in many ways. It was also a nice break from the constant ongoing politicalness of the last 3 and we got a more self contained adventure. World politics tend to be a very dry topic usually in ff14.

There were definitely some bad lows but not as many as previous expansions in my opinion. I remember huge swaths of boredom in all the expansions. But that's just me. Im not a hardcore fan.

I hope 6.0 can bring something new and interesting like SBs did and it's not just back to status quo political warfare between the regions.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just beat the first Lightwarden, so I don't know where the story goes, but I do understand your comment about the build-up in the patch quests. If they teased an upcoming calamity, it would have connected better imo.
Ehmm... uh... what?
That is literally what they've been doing since Bahamut and planted the seeds of what this specific calamity was going to be in the middle of Stormblood.
Since you are only after the first Lightwarden you might have not connected the dots yet. Keep going.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda agree. So much of what wasn't part of the ending or the intro to SHB felt like padding.
There was a steep drop in quality during the middle leveling section.

It has high highs but the lowest lows for me.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I love Stormblood and actually really like Lyse(it always shocks me that she's divisive honestly), but this might be the spiciest damn take I've seen in a long while. ShB finally, finally makes the scions feel like a legit party with the best story, best areas, the best bosses, best dungeons, the best antagonist, the best WoL, and best boys Ardbert and Exarch. It also has the most forward plot moving of any of the expansions thus far. The main story is about the ascians/Hydaelyn/zodiark, so i can't fathom how ShB would feel more like filler than HW and SB (which I also enjoy both very much).

5.x in general is the best that 14 has ever been, and I'll be absolutely overjoyed if 6.x captures that magic again.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
hoping my guy gets to 5.3 soon to feel that finale crescendo hit right back at him

i kinda get what op means when he says the bulk of ShB feels like filler. a lot of it is just to build up to the finale, which capitalises on so so much that came before it

it's still my favourite expansion so far though, even if im not the biggest fan of the side stuff this time around. bozja is cool but pazuzu isn't ever up in that place

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I would call ShB filler in the fact that it basically shows you what happens to Minfillia and the WoD introduced in 3.x, as well as Graha Tia, and just how these rejoinings are accomplished as well as why the WoL is all powerful as he is

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's possible to disagree more with your premise. The fate of all worlds, including your own, hinges upon the fate of The First. The entire premise of Shadowbringers is that you are flung into a world on the brink of complete destruction; a seemingly bizarre and quaint world complete with its own history and culture. It having "nothing" to do with your own circumstances is both dead wrong and the entire point. The First is thematically supposed to echo the Final Days of the Amaurotines, and potentially the other civilizations having been brought down by calamities. The bleak and disparate existence of those living in the final settlements in this world are a stark contrast to your own, but that's the point - everything is a stone's throw from collapse, barring the selfless acts of all individuals even tangentially connected. The WOL unquestioningly dives through the gate to save both his friends and this suffering land that is full of authentic people from all walks of life, and even this was only possible because of Cid and the rest of the survivors from The Source of the past banding together for HOPE. They knew they would never see the fruits of their tireless labor, but labored on they did for centuries so that someone, somewhere, sometime could feel reprieve again. This was not about their own journey, but about the lives and fates of all beings.

OP, you say the events and world in Shadowbringers are too disconnected to feel relevant to your journey, but you misunderstand the purpose of this theme. Everyone makes it or nobody makes it, and its up to the selfless acts of everyone capable to delay and stop the upcoming cataclysm. Even an ecosystem we aren't familiar with is essential in the sense that people suffer and collapse will affect us. Everyone you meet along the way has either given up hope, fights for a better tomorrow, or is just trying to get by in the days remaining. Every one of these people are relevant to your journey because they all reflect facets of the mortal experience, both at home and in The First. You may be from different worlds but there is far more in common than there are differences. Hope is a beacon for all lives to gather, just as a city of people flocked to the Crystal Tower upon its sudden appearance that fateful day.

Then there's the fact that this story is like 80% of the Zodiark/Hydaelyn/Ascian story and it's like... da fuck, OP! This shit couldn't possibly be MORE relevant to the soul of this game. I get what your overall point is, but the very fact that the world in Shadowbringers is so wonderfully alien to our experience so far is what makes it so appealing. It's like you get to set foot in a completely different Final Fantasy, and I think that's pretty darned nifty. Thematically it's so firmly connected to our own story that the differences in setting and cast are only skin deep.

This is a really fantastic post. The game is a complete triumph and this is exactly why.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018

This is barely even a footnote though because instead of actually addressing that situation the other scions handle it while you go on a research expedition with Y'shtola on the ruins in the area.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Some of the OP's particular sentiments I agree with. There's some really bad story stuff in Shadowbringers: Eulmore/Vauthry/Ranjit is a snoozefest given too much screentime. I think Ryne is some of the most cliche garbage writing this team has ever done. The mining stuff towards the end, etc. You correctly surmise that it's the last 10% of the story that elevates Shadowbringers in the consensus opinion, though I think the beginning is really good too with the exposition of the Crystarium and Light Wardens up to bringing the first night.

I also agree that going to the First was quite the shift away from the Garlean plot, though I'd say this is fairly typical of the writing team at this point. Remember we were dealing with Ul'Dah political turmoil before (understandably, mind you) fucking off to Ishgard for an entire expansion. Heavensward patches brought us Ardbert and his Warrior of Darkness story which had fuck all to do with anything that came before or after. And then the First stuff post-Stormblood.

This by no means makes Shadowbringers filler, though. How can we say this about a story that essentially revealed the main backstory driving the entire plot along with the villains' central motivations and the defeat of - to our understanding - the most powerful villain who actually created the Garlean Empire in the first place? Not to mention revealing YOUR character's backstory and your place within the story.

Frankly Shadowbringers did SO MUCH with the main story that at this point it's pretty well-known that 6.0 will be the last expansion to deal with the current storyline of Zodiark/Hydaelyn because there's not much else to do with it.

Frankly I was pretty worried for FFXIV in the Stormblood patch stories when they brought back literally everyone that died. I still think bringing back Zenos was a huge mistake as he and his little freakshow servant have done nothing but drag down the story every scene they've been in. But I'll reserve final judgment until post 6.0 there.

OP
OP
SirKai

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Just wanted to drop in and say that I've been appreciating all of OP's FFXIV posts. I started around the same time you did and just started making my way into Stormblood. This game was such a pleasant surprise and an absolute joy to play. Definitely grateful I started playing it at the start of the pandemic.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy these so much :D

I feel like people only want plot and no character and world building anymore.

99% of the time people complain about filler in stories it's because the story isn't just drowning in constant unending plot.

Shadowbringers puts in the work to make you care about this world you're just introduced to. If you just rush through it to get to the plot and ignore everything else then people won't care. Hell, I've seen many comments here and elsewhere of feeling way more connection to the First than Eorzea due to how it's developed.

This is a super reductive take. I took a month playing through 5.0, made sure to do ALL of the Role Quests before finishing the story even though you only needed to do one, did all of the unlock quests in each zone, and even did quite a few just standard side quests (specifically for the dwarves). Having a focus on character development and world building doesn't have to come at the expense of sidelining the current series of events I was already wrapped up in.

Mainly one thing: Shadowbringers is the most 'human' expansion of the game. You can call it a bit 'too melodramatic' but is the more character driven expansion in the game and is a beautiful tale of how when humanity stands together it can become the best version of itself. Is a charming tale of compassion, love, family, friendship and redemption.

Compare it with the jingoistic nationalism of Stormblood that ends with people chanting a fucking national anthem. Stormblood is about people ties with the place they were born and how those define them. Shadowbringers is about people ties not with land or nation, but with each other and how when we stand as equals and together we can face everything.

Nationalism being the central conceit of Stormblood isn't such a bad thing, and it's not entirely jingoistic. Stormblood works so well because, even if the execution isn't airtight, it's still a fluid continuation and culmination of a TON of elements introduced in 2.0 and 2.X (and hell, even earlier than that for 1.0 and 1.X players). Ala Mhigo, Doma, and the victims of their occupation are set up and established years in advance. Plus, Stormblood is pretty thorough in showing a national loyalty, and what the actual value/damage of that is, through responsibility and nuance (through Raubahn), fiery and well meaning but naive and inexperienced (Lyse), or how one's obsessive relationship with their home can utterly destroy them and those around them (Yotsuyu and Fordola). That final bit with the chanting in STB IS terrible, and the ending overall isn't that good, but storming Ala Mhigo under the command of Raubahn in a mission of liberation is still pretty hard hitting and awesome.

If ShB is the worst expansion then that shows how great this game is! XD

That's true! I still overall had a very good time with it, and it's a testament to the ridiculous level of quality FFXIV aspires for and maintains.

I felt the same way that you did going into the expansion but I completely changed my opinion after I'd finished it. I just wanted to get back to the "real" world and the "important" characters in the source. The beauty of Shadowbringers is in the realization that this attitude is the exact same attitude that compels the Ascians to do what they do. The world that you know and love is just a poor imitation of the "real" world that was lost to them. This is what makes Emet-Selch such an incredibly compelling character. Instead of viewing everything as a side quest, realize that everyone you're saving in the first is just as real and deserving of life as the people that you know in the source. It's truly an incredible story with a powerful message to contemplate.

This is super valuable and interesting insight. I hadn't considered the meta implications of my attachment to the Source and its active struggles damaging my enjoyment of SHB similar to how the Ascians can't let the past die.

That said, the troubles of Eorzea aren't eons past, but are still active and on-going, and I wouldn't want to not save the First and all of its inhabitants; it is still really satisfying to kill the Light Wardens one by one as a nice "fuck you" to Eulmore, but I just wish it all could have waited a bit till I'd resolved more Source stuff.

Yeah no, can't agree with anything OP said here. Stormblood was downright boring for large portions of the MSQ whereas SHB I can only remember maybe one particular section that dragged on for longer than I would've wanted it to.

Maybe its because Stormblood is more politically driven (a la FFXII) and SHB is more character driven. Zenos is nowhere near as good an antagonist as Emet-Selch or Elidibus.

Zenos is absolutely weaker than the Ascians (especially Selch), but I think you hit the nail on the head about the comparison to FFXII. That's also my favorite Final Fantasy haha.

I do agree that it felt a bit weird in terms of timing to go off to the first when the garlean story looked to be reaching its final act, and now it seems like the empire is going to be dealt with off screen for the most part. I think in terms of sequence we should've dealt with empire and some ascian stuff first, then headed off to the first to deal with the greater more existential threat of the ascians and the sound.

THIS is what I'm talking about. I'd be 100% down with the SHB premise if more of the stuff in 4.X was resolved beforehand or maybe tackled concurrently. I don't really have any interest in the WoL being the defining centerpiece of the story. I enjoy being the "muscle" as was mentioned earlier by another poster, and being an uplifting force in other characters' stories, which I thought Stormblood did especially well through Lyse, Raubahn, and Hien.

Emet Selch is great and the lore of the expansion adds a lot to the world.

But the main reason is the gameplay loop of going to a region, defeating the lightwarden and bringing night back to an area is extremely good for pacing. Much better than 'oh btw maybe we should deal with the primal'.

I do agree with this; the Light Warden hit list is better than centering certain parts of the story around quelling Primals; this felt especially limp in Stormblood (even though the actual fights are spectacular).

OP you are 100% right but people aren't ready for the truth yet.

So I'm not insane haha. I also agree about the Exarch; I didn't even mention him because he's just kinda there (and the reveal of his identity fell very flat).

The execution of 5.0 is materially very different from 3.0, even if they begin superficially similar (thrust away from the immediate crisis and into a new environment). An enormous part of 2.0 and 2.X is dedicated to getting to know the Ishgardians, the Dragonsong war, and trying to get Ishgard on your side. In 2.X you meet the core new characters integral to 3.0 including Aymerick, Lucia and Ysale (and Estinien if you've done the dragoon quests by then). The ultimate entry into Ishgard, even done under threat and duress by other forces, still feels sufficiently earned and built up. Plus, the aspects of the story that force the WoL away aren't abandoned; almost all of that is tended to and dealt with throughout 3.0 and with direct player involvement.

I think for me, I liked the very fact it was isekai lite. I liked that it was post apocalypse and the scale of the world was very small so you could learn everything about this place in 1 expansion. I found the general concept behind the story and setting fascinating and very much FF9 inspired in many ways. It was also a nice break from the constant ongoing politicalness of the last 3 and we got a more self contained adventure. World politics tend to be a very dry topic usually in ff14.

There were definitely some bad lows but not as many as previous expansions in my opinion. I remember huge swaths of boredom in all the expansions. But that's just me. Im not a hardcore fan.

I hope 6.0 can bring something new and interesting like SBs did and it's not just back to status quo political warfare between the regions.

The "isekai" style premise of Shadowbringers is also a sticking point for me I guess, because I haaate isekai (unless it's done very carefully in a parody-style humorous fashion or something). The politics of the FFXIV world are my biggest anchor to it.

Some of the OP's particular sentiments I agree with. There's some really bad story stuff in Shadowbringers: Eulmore/Vauthry/Ranjit is a snoozefest given too much screentime. I think Ryne is some of the most cliche garbage writing this team has ever done. The mining stuff towards the end, etc. You correctly surmise that it's the last 10% of the story that elevates Shadowbringers in the consensus opinion, though I think the beginning is really good too with the exposition of the Crystarium and Light Wardens up to bringing the first night.

I also agree that going to the First was quite the shift away from the Garlean plot, though I'd say this is fairly typical of the writing team at this point. Remember we were dealing with Ul'Dah political turmoil before (understandably, mind you) fucking off to Ishgard for an entire expansion. Heavensward patches brought us Ardbert and his Warrior of Darkness story which had fuck all to do with anything that came before or after. And then the First stuff post-Stormblood.

This by no means makes Shadowbringers filler, though. How can we say this about a story that essentially revealed the main backstory driving the entire plot along with the villains' central motivations and the defeat of - to our understanding - the most powerful villain who actually created the Garlean Empire in the first place? Not to mention revealing YOUR character's backstory and your place within the story.

Frankly Shadowbringers did SO MUCH with the main story that at this point it's pretty well-known that 6.0 will be the last expansion to deal with the current storyline of Zodiark/Hydaelyn because there's not much else to do with it.

Frankly I was pretty worried for FFXIV in the Stormblood patch stories when they brought back literally everyone that died. I still think bringing back Zenos was a huge mistake as he and his little freakshow servant have done nothing but drag down the story every scene they've been in. But I'll reserve final judgment until post 6.0 there.

The difference with the Ul'dah drama is that that is still addressed and solved within the 3.0 HVW story, and even with player involvement. The reason I say Shadowbringers feels like filler is because the ridiculously high concept questions it answers, the lore it deepens, and the finale it presents didn't necessarily have to come at the cost of the story I was engaged with just hours earlier. I don't think it's a zero-sum game; Shadowbringers could have delivered Selch and that absolutely, jaw dropping, unbelievable finale while also at least offering some progress and resolution to the existing crisis (which is what HVW 3.0 did manage to do). I think you could even still have the First and its entire story if it was at least built up to more thoroughly so it feels more entwined to what I'm doing, similar to how Ishgard, Ala Mhigo, and Doma all have TONS of material setting them up sufficiently, so it feels like a reward when I'm treated with spending time in those environments. I would say unquestionably that there IS a ton of set up and pay off for the projected city and the rationale for everything surrounding the 5.0 finale, but again, that's still the final 10% or so of the main story. The WoD from 3.X do provide some setup for the First, but it's nowhere near as material or deep as how Ishgard, Ala Mhigo, and Doma are established beforehand.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The execution of 5.0 is materially very different from 3.0, even if they begin superficially similar (thrust away from the immediate crisis and into a new environment). An enormous part of 2.0 and 2.X is dedicated to getting to know the Ishgardians, the Dragonsong war, and trying to get Ishgard on your side. In 2.X you meet the core new characters integral to 3.0 including Aymerick, Lucia and Ysale (and Estinien if you've done the dragoon quests by then). The ultimate entry into Ishgard, even done under threat and duress by other forces, still feels sufficiently earned and built up. Plus, the aspects of the story that force the WoL away aren't abandoned; almost all of that is tended to and dealt with throughout 3.0 and with direct player involvement.
Everything in this paragraph can be applied to 5.0 story, I feel. In the same way that Uldah/Crystal Braves being out for the Scions' blood is the turmoil "back home" in the background of Heavensward, the Garlean civil war and the unleashing of Black Rose is the turmoil "back home" in the background of Shadowbringers. Tangentially related to the new conflict, and being resolved in bits and pieces via the new story arc. Also, we already know several characters completely integral to Shadowbringers' story before we get to The First, including Graha, Minfillia, and Cid. They are our bridge and entry into The First and the circumstances are carefully laid out with all of them not to feel forced or ham-fisted.

The only other thing I'll add is that this whole expansion was the most organic way to introduce the greater plot involving the Ascians. The concept of the shards and calamities had been laid out so long ago in the lore of XIV, but never addressed in a way that brought it home. If we didn't actually get to experience the Ascians moving in on destroying another shard while it was happening, the entire idea would be so foreign to us to the point where it wouldn't make sense as the fabric underlying our world and the Ascians' existence and entire point in the story. This alone is what makes Shadowbringers so important in the long and short term. Even the Garlean Empire's roots get addressed in Shadowbringers. If you don't wrap an entire expansion story around the Ascians' history via their current plans then you have a decade-long MMO dedicated only to the Garleans as a lasting conflict. You could potentially argue that you didn't like the feeling of "fluff" inside the Shadowbringers story where you had to go around knocking out each Light Warden, but that's another conversation all together. Personally I didn't mind the idea since there was so much else going on in a ticking clock sense. I think in the end this expac was no different than just going to a different continent in our own world and meeting a bunch of new characters there, as The First is still organically linked to the greater whole of our existence. They are an extension of us and our universe, even to the point where one of the characters shares the same primordial soul as you.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
This is quite the spicy take for an expansion that many regard as the best FF storyline in decades.

I've not completed it, so I can't comment yet, but your opinion is far off from the general consensus.

(Not saying you're wrong)
I mean definitely as Storm blood was a yawn fest coming off heavensward. Shadowbringers is tied for heavensward in its greatness of course you have to include 5.0-5.3 MSQ as thats the whole story.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is the worst take I've read in forever.

The First is a vibrant world with significant plot relevance, and anything to get away from the generic dregs of bullshit empire nonsense is more than welcome.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Stormblood had the amenesia plotline and the redemption arc for Fordola.

I don't see how anyone can consider that good story telling.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Purposely not reading closely through this thread for fear of spoilers; I'm at level 30 and I have a feeling by the time I get to the content everyone is talking about, nobody will be left playing this game.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Purposely not reading closely through this thread for fear of spoilers; I'm at level 30 and I have a feeling by the time I get to the content everyone is talking about, nobody will be left playing this game.

Nothing to worry about there, there's still a ton of people playing and the staff has already come out and said that 6.0 is not the conclusion of XIV, just the current story arc.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing to worry about there, there's still a ton of people playing and the staff has already come out and said that 6.0 is not the conclusion of XIV, just the current story arc.

Does it change your answer if I told you it took me 2 entire years to complete Persona 3?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Honestly it's kind of telling that when people criticize the story of Shadowbringers, the biggest point against it they can bring up is "30 years of story tropes trained me to think Thancred was supposed to die, but he doesn't die. And that's bad."

Like... ok.

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I could not disagree more. Shb is IMO quintessential to what FFXIV has been building towards since HW dropped. It's true that the hype and praise people heap on it has caused expectations to skyrocket for newcomers, but that doesn't stop it from being overall the richest and most fleshed out FF ever made. People hype it because they really do like it that much, it isn't empty praise.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
No, because I doubt Square wants to drop a consistent money maker anytime soon.

I will stay on the horse! Thanks for the confidence.

Honestly it's kind of telling that when people criticize the story of Shadowbringers, the biggest point against it they can bring up is "30 years of story tropes trained me to think Thancred was supposed to die, but he doesn't die. And that's bad."

Like... ok.

Ah god dammit.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I thought the beginning and the last act were great, but the middle really dragged at times. They really spent way too much time dealing with the light wardens. I wish we could have dealt with them by level 76 or 77 and spent more time on the Crystarium-Eulmore conflict. Everyone on the Eulmore side of the story was completely wasted. Vauthry, Ranjit, and the jongleurs really needed more screen time.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Finally someone that thinks the same as me, Oh how I felt lonely. Still haven't done any of the patches 4 months after having finished it. I was just so disappointed. Your experience mirror exactly mine, 90% of filler and 10% of story.

Edit: Having sympathy for Elmet Sech ? Must be joke ! He has genocide WORLD ! Billions of souls ! Fuck him, though his death was quite nice, that's the thing only I liked in the expansion, a really nice send off.

It's not sympathy, it's empathy. Yes, he was a genocidal monster having helped/caused several rejoinings (and the total fucking up of the 13th shard) causing the "deaths" of billions. BUT for him, who saw the world as it was before, he's bringing the souls of people back together. He lost his world and all his friends. He's doing all he can, for thousands of years, to bring back the world he lost. He's trying to save his world. Obviously, the way he's going about it is reprehensible but at the same time we can never understand what he lost because it's not like he just lost his family or world, they were godlike beings in what was a utopia. They could create anything from nothing, there was no war or strife. The worst things were natural disasters (outside, you know, the apocalypse).

Emet Selch and the Ascians just want their lives back, just want everyone to rejoin and be as they were. Yes that would end up "killing" everyone (which is bad and why they need to be stopped) but it's understandable to go to great lengths to save your loved ones or your planet. Emet even mentions how he tried to live as a mortal, he loved, had children etc but being immortal he just lived forever while everyone else died and can't see us as being anything less than them, because it's true. Everyone is literally a fraction of what they could be.

So yeah, he's a bad guy and they need to be stopped, but he lost everything and is working towards a way to get back what he lost and in a way "save" everyone. Because to them, even after the rejoinings, we'll be whole and restored. I totally feel for him. He just couldn't let go, he tried but he couldn't.