• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 18, 2020
This is great news. I've used Signal as both my Unencrypted SMS and Whatsapp replacement for a while now. I've convinced nearly all of my friends and family to switch over so pretty everyone is on it now, barring a few holdouts.

A non-profit foundation closely affiliated with the EFF (Like Firefox / Linux / Tor) dedicated to privacy with no incentive to make money >>>>>>>> AI scanning your messages and Zuck selling your metadata to the highest bidder + creating shadow profiles about you any day of the week.

There really are no downsides to using Signal over Whatsapp, except for mass adoption. In fact, Signal is actually BETTER than Whatsapp in some areas. Audio quality for calls and voice notes is much more crisp, and I can use Signal on my PC even when my phone is off. The design and features are nearly identical.

After using Signal for a while, I would honestly recommend every single person here on Era switch to it. The more people switch, the less power Facebook has over our lives. I'm sure we can all unequivocally say "FUCK FACEBOOK" no matter our political ideologies: anarchists, communists, neo-liberal Democrats, moderate Republicans, conservatives, and libertarians alike. It's one of the most bipartisan issues to ever exist 🤣

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So that makes the argument: if you are really their friend and you want to keep in touch with them, you stay.
I told them I would be fine sending them SMS messages instead of using WhatsApp. So they were forced to use SMS, which isn't as convenient as a messenger, or Signal.

Also, don't use Telegram:
Always a bit confused why people recommend Telegram, do they not know these things?
Signal:
- 501(c)(3) non-profit foundation like Firefox, no desire to make a profit
- Funded by wealthy benefactors and donations who believe in the mission
- Apps are open source
- End to end encryption by default, destroys metadata

Telegram:
- Private for-profit corporation, introducing monetization in 2021
- Funded mostly by wealthy + benevolent Russian oligarch Pavel Durov
- Developed in Dubai
- Apps are open-source
- Not E2E encrypted by default

Last edited:

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my girlfriend's been using it since September iirc. It's okay, there's been these one or two times that a message or two weren't received by my GF for some reason, vice versa. Probably a bug or something.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
What's wrong with Viber?

Not many people in the UK use it, but a lot of its features have been copied by whatsapp.

My friend group has been using Viber since we all went to Mexico together in 2013 and needed something other than SMS since we were out of our data network. I can't remember why we went with Viber, but I like it and whenever I have to use WhatsApp to talk with my wife's sister (who lives in Morocco) I cringe at how bad it is in comparison.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the perfect chance to take down big tech. I doubt they still have stans now that even republicans in the us are ready to throw them under the bus. Plz act 🙏🏽

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
What I like about signal over telegram is the ability to use sms to my iphone friends. My wife (iphone) had it installed and uses it to contact me. Too bad ios doesn't let you change the default messenger app like android does, a minor inconvenience for her.

Oct 27, 2017
I got my sister and mom to install Signal for me when I deleted FB so we could keep family chats open; I never even asked any other messaging group to look at it. I just stopped using them.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Switched years ago - fuck facebooooook! Switched my gmail to Proton mail too.

Signal has been great.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand the reluctance in this thread: Is it a problem to run mutiple apps? Genuine question.

I have Whatsapp, Signal, Telegram, Line, SMS, Slack , depending on who I'm talking with. It's not like these are VASTLY different programs that somebody needs to learn first and invest a lot of time...
this way, I've managed to consistently move many conversations away from Whatsapp over the past years.

I think every bit helps. Every conversation you don't have on Whatsapp makes the data for Zuckerberg less usable.

Seven

Oct 25, 2017
Austin
The article doesn't really concretely mention how it knows traffic is due to WhatsApp--my gut reaction is a lot of white nationalists would either jump ship from Parler to something more secure with Parler's demise, or start going on there after Wednesday, which would mean a big spike in traffic could be a concern.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article doesn't really concretely mention how it knows traffic is due to WhatsApp--my gut reaction is a lot of white nationalists would either jump ship from Parler to something more secure with Parler's demise, or start going on there after Wednesday, which would mean a big spike in traffic could be a concern.
While it's possible that also contributed, one of the biggest driving factors was certain large social media accounts like Elon Musk's telling people to use Signal in response to WhatsApp's update.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
What exactly is the Facebook change with WhatsApp?
i think that in theory, NOTHING.

it just that the apple thingy made them force to inform you of what they are collecting.

i dont know why people thought whatsapp and facebook didnt share information before this.

but hey, thats the power of memes
www.forbes.com

WhatsApp Beaten By Apple’s New iMessage Privacy Update

WhatsApp has just been caught out by Apple's latest strike at Facebook...
This Forbes article details the existing problem with WhatsApp, but it's been updated at the bottom with this note:
Update, January 6: Adding fuel to any data privacy concerns, WhatsApp has now confirmed a compulsory change in its terms of service that has been expected since last year, one that users must accept to continue using the app from February.

The new
headline terms focus on tighter integration between WhatsApp and Facebook's backend, particularly where Facebook's business customers engage on WhatsApp with their customers, where WhatsApp users take up Facebook services and to help Facebook personalize ads across its platform.

Clearly, mandating user acceptance of this data sharing with Facebook will be a game changer for many users. While messages remain encrypted, this will raise further concerns around the monetization of user data by the Facebook machine.

In essence, WhatsApp will share all of your messages' metadata with Facebook, helping them to make a more comprehensive profile of you and your network.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
www.forbes.com

WhatsApp Beaten By Apple’s New iMessage Privacy Update

WhatsApp has just been caught out by Apple's latest strike at Facebook...
This Forbes article details the existing problem with WhatsApp, but it's been updated at the bottom with this note:

In essence, WhatsApp will share all of your messages' metadata with Facebook, helping them to make a more comprehensive profile of you and your network.
and they didn't do that before, correct? I know, who knows, but at least that wasn't part of the tos before if I understand correctly.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Me and a few friends have downloaded it.

Can never replace whatsapp, but maybe minimizing whatsapp's usage would be better than nothing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
India as well. Wasn't mentioned in the article I posted in the OP.

tech.hindustantimes.com

Signal becomes the top free app on App Store in India, and more countries

WhatsApp's new privacy terms are not sitting well with users who are now moving to alternative such as Signal.

Signal earlier today tweeted the App Store charts for top free apps where it currently sits at the number one position. Signal has managed to beat WhatsApp for the top spot in India, Germany, France, Austria, Finland, Hong Kong, and Switzerland. Signal became the top free app in the Google Play Store as well in Hungary and Germany.

rawd

Oct 25, 2017
The fam and I are back on Viber. Seems its been bought by Rakuten since 2014 and they implemented end to end encryption. Best part is that it looks and feels exactly like Whatsapp so the old folks had zero learning curve.

My only complaint so far is that it does not work with Android Auto. The weird thing is that AA knows its there and recognizes it so I'm able to tell it to send a Viber message. It just doesnt display them on screen.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Today, WhatsApp took a front over ad over in India to appease their users over there. WhatsApp is India's biggest market.
img_4156-jpg.1711849

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure why people are mad about WhatsApp giving Facebook any data? They're the same company. Hasn't this already been going on?

Magni

I'd been meaning to get off of WhatsApp for a while, and took this as the opportunity to get my family off. Asked my brother about it, and a couple hours even my mom was in the new family group on Signal.

Now getting my in-laws onto Signal, that's a different story, I can't see them getting off of LINE any time soon.

My family is French, my in-laws are Japanese.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I've managed to move my wife, my immediate family, and one of my group chats over to Signal. I guess I'll continue to evangelize about it...I want to move away from WhatsApp/Facebook altogether.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
A few years back I was deciding what chat app to use with friends when Allo was getting retired (yes we were the only people using allo), and I looked at Signal, Line, Viber, Telegram. Settled on Telegram, but now after using Signal I wish we switched to signal... seems to be a lot more polished than Telegram.

I've been anti WhatsApp because they're owned by Facebook. I just personally boycott all Facebook products and I'm not comfortable with them profiting off of me more than they already do.

I'm in the US so I'd say like 80% of my friends who I tlak to regularly don't understand why you'd use a group messaging app, and of those 20% ... I'd say like 95% of them don't want to switch to another service. We basically use it for a permanent friend chat, fantasy football, fishing talk, and coordinating game nights online.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed over the past day it has been picked up by some more mainstream news outlets:

www.bbc.co.uk

WhatsApp users flock to rival message platforms

Millions have signed up to Signal and Telegram after WhatsApp announced an update to its terms.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

News, analysis and comment from the Financial Times, the worldʼs leading global business publication

www.independent.co.uk

Leaving WhatsApp will be hard – but it is the right thing to do

Last week, WhatsApp sent a message to all of its users informing them of its new privacy policy, which would share data from the messaging app to Facebook – Elon Musk has a point when he tells us to ‘use Signal’

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not sure why people are mad about WhatsApp giving Facebook any data? They're the same company. Hasn't this already been going on?
Because that doesn't make it right. Fuck Facebook. I don't want anything to do with that company and everyone is on their fucking app. That means my data is being given to them despite my desire for it not to be.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
A few years back I was deciding what chat app to use with friends when Allo was getting retired (yes we were the only people using allo)
Allo is still my favorite messaging platform ever.
Settled on Telegram, but now after using Signal I wish we switched to signal... seems to be a lot more polished than Telegram.
About two years ago, I and a couple friends were evaluating different messaging platforms to replace Hangouts since it was being done away with. At the time, Telegram seemed miles better than the other options, including Signal, so that is what we've been using since. I've got Signal installed, but haven't actually messaged anyone with it in a long time. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about how it's more polished than Telegram at this point. It was certainly not the case when I compared them.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed over the past day it has been picked up by some more mainstream news outlets:

www.bbc.co.uk

WhatsApp users flock to rival message platforms

Millions have signed up to Signal and Telegram after WhatsApp announced an update to its terms.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

News, analysis and comment from the Financial Times, the worldʼs leading global business publication

www.independent.co.uk

Leaving WhatsApp will be hard – but it is the right thing to do

Last week, WhatsApp sent a message to all of its users informing them of its new privacy policy, which would share data from the messaging app to Facebook – Elon Musk has a point when he tells us to ‘use Signal’

I started getting these articles message to me from the less technically savvy people in my life this morning.

They all made the move over to signal. I'm kind of shocked!

I signed up, and noticed a huge chunk of my contact list already has it!

Looks like the migration is real.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
As much money as these telecoms make they need to step text messaging up. Shit outside of iMessage feels like it's been the same for 15 years.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, maybe I was thinking about another app. I will start taking a look at it. I hope all my friends and family step away of Whatsapp for once and all. I couldn't convince them to move into Telegram, let's see if it works this time with Signal.

There was some Mark Cuban backed app called cyber dust or something that did that.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
There are a few features missing on Signal; the way calling is handled is abysmal. There is no separate calls tab, and you can't add another party to an ongoing call which is strange.

Nov 18, 2020
Today, WhatsApp took a front over ad over in India to appease their users over there. WhatsApp is India's biggest market.
img_4156-jpg.1711849

This is bullshit doublespeak. "Whatsapp cannot see your private messages or hear your calls, and neither can Facebook" is a lie based on a technicality. Technically, Whatsapp (the employees) cannot see your private messages, but Whatsapp (the AI algorithms) absolutely can, and routinely scan them to create shadow profiles about you to predict your future behavior and sell those predictions.

They're being deliberately obtuse. Facebook isn't a charity. If they aren't making billions off of people's data, why would they keep Whatsapp running? To get people entwined into the Facebook ecosystem? That's not worth the hosting costs.

That's why I like Signal so much because unlike Telegram---which is introducing monetization and ads this year---Signal has no profit incentive and runs solely on donations. You always have to be suspicious of for-profit corporations that claim to be magnanimous...there's always a catch.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Signal has been having service issues today. :(

Whatsapp (the AI algorithms) absolutely can, and routinely scan them to create shadow profiles about you to predict your future behavior and sell those predictions.

They're being deliberately obtuse. Facebook isn't a charity. If they aren't making billions off of people's data, why would they keep Whatsapp running? To get people entwined into the Facebook ecosystem? That's not worth the hosting costs.
Do you have a source for the bolded? End-to-end encryption should make messages and calls only visible to the sender/recepients.

FB and its AI can look at the metadata, which is what is being talked about in their privacy change.

Eg, you talked with "Mom" on Saturday for an hour, then texted your sister. They don't know what you said in the conversations, but they know when and whom you were corresponding with. That certainly develops each person's shadow profile.

Also, the goal of FB is to have a unified messaging system where people on FB can message people on IG or WA, no matter what app they are on.

Last edited:

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
They need to make the default RCS app good enough so everyone is already on it... that's why imessage is so dominant: it's a great product and it comes already bundled.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People don't need to switch. They can have multiple apps. I get messages on any random messaging app, don't care, makes no difference. Changing messaging app has always been a gradual thing.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Still nobody from my contact list moved away from WhatsApp. In the end nowadays less people seem to be using Facebook(I for one don't), although many use Instagram anyway(also owned by Facebook). That and I'm not convinced that they weren't harvesting data already, the sad thing is that people cynically seem to think the same so they aren't bothered by the recent news.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
User Banned (1 Day): Derailing Thread
Since Parler is done for, Signal is the new app of choice for nazis. So, have fun with that I guess.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I was having connection issues all day today - I wonder if it's related to the WhatsApp exodus

Since Parler is done for, Signal is the new app of choice for nazis. So, have fun with that I guess.

Hmm, you use the internet but there's also white supremacists on the internet. How curious

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The traffic is kind of nuts but I'm also getting tonnes of notifications about my contacts joining as of late. My parents, extended family, old university classmates, etc. I think the negative press about Facebook has really done wonders to promote Signal to the average person.