• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Playstation 4 will continue to sell in emerging markets and through low cost bundles. A new Ratchet & Clank hitting a 7 year old console does nothing to move additional units but will do a lot for a console that's only going to have ~20 games available at launch not counting BC.

The PS5 is going to sell itself the first year just for the novelty of being the new PlayStation. I doubt Sony truly sees Ratchet being exclusive to the PS5 as a pivotal release during that time.

You also have to remember that Sony wants to make money on their games and they are cutting off a huge install base with the PS4 for a game that would do rather well at this point. Games like Ratchet have historically proven to do better after a few years when younger demographics start adapting to the new platforms and the prices go down.

I mean, Knack was a PS4 launch game but one that was more of a tech demo and felt shoddy as a PS4 gen game. The new Ratchet no doubt has a much bigger budget and we will have to see if Sony thinks it can do well as a PS5 exclusive game or if it needs a PS4 version too. Right now it just feels like it can go either way.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking PS5 is going to sell just on the virtue of being PS5 is a very arrogant and lazy approach to launching a console and runs contrary to everything we've heard from Sony and Jim Ryan. That's how you end up in 3rd place.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Now you have to get into Royal in March. It makes P5 even better and makes it the definitive version. Persona is one of the series really important to Sony. It's been exclusive to PlayStation for almost 25 years now.
Lol I don't want to put another 80 hours in the game just for a few things, even if I loved it a lot

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, ppl using information to boost their twitter following or YouTube channels. Knowledge is power rings more true today than everything, information is literally money.

Everyone, industry vets, insiders, please for next year just STFU. Not everything needs a hint. The less I come here or stay in social media I really feel the more enjoyment I get out of this industry.

Just like that recent "HZD" on PC rumour that popped up recently. People are putting out false narratives or fucking with huge budgets for mentions and likes. And yes, things are getting increasingly vitriolic. Though I'm not sure if it's a degradation of our discourse or if people are, for want of a better word, getting "nervous" about next generation?

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, the purpose of reporting news is to inform readers, not to boost one's Twitter following. No matter what I choose or don't choose to report, that will always be the case. Second of all, I am not planning on writing an article about every single video game coming to the PS5. Y'all need to actually listen to what I said on the podcast instead of raging over bullet-point summaries of a long and free-flowing conversation.

Oct 30, 2017
My god is it next week already ???

SOP episode and TGA are going to set us in FREAKING FIRE for 2020....seriously 2020 is going to be an epic good year FOR MANY REASONS not only for gaming industry but overall.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
First of all, the purpose of reporting news is to inform readers, not to boost one's Twitter following. No matter what I choose or don't choose to report, that will always be the case. Second of all, I am not planning on writing an article about every single video game coming to the PS5. Y'all need to actually listen to what I said on the podcast instead of raging over bullet-point summaries of a long and free-flowing conversation.
This thread gets pretty darn awful. Just stay away as much as possible.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
My god is it next week already ???

SOP episode and TGA are going to set us in FREAKING FIRE for 2020....seriously 2020 is going to be an epic good year FOR MANY REASONS not only for gaming industry but overall.

We have both the SoP and TGA events next week and I bet somehow the new Batman Arkham game teased STILL won't be announced XD

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017

Well, some of the replies in this thread were definitely pretty fucking weird if you ask me. The games industry is pretty much the only sector in the entertainment industry where this level of secrecy is not only practiced but even encouraged by fans, judging by some of the posts.

It's frankly pretty embarrassing how much they have some people by the balls. Where even the announcement of a title is treated as a state secret, all in the name of the perfect and almighty marketing campaign.

Look if even one director cares about the bulletpoints of his new film getting leaked. Let alone sending C&D letters or some shit like that.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think you would agree all forms of journalism has been infected by sensationalist reporting and "me first attitude" no? That comment was not a jab at you or anyone in particular btw, I simply quoted someone who's POV I share in a general sense. And that's a desire that we let Devs reveal what they want to reveal and for everyone to stop scouting for news and info so aggressively. Ppl literally check updates on LinkedIn or deciphering tweets, like slow it down. It's getting further and further away from reporting news worthy information IMO. New patent, new article, someone files a trademark, new article, Phil tweets, new article. Lol Not specifically aiming anything at you.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
People are saying that's gonna be a no-show for TGAs. It'll be announced next year 😞
At this point I assume its an elaborate joke/riddle concocted by the evil alliance of Riddler and Joker and is in fact not happening ever. Just seems mad that it gets teased at seemingly every event and yet is a no show in every last one. Especially after the teasing around the last SoP. Pity, I really enjoyed Arkham Knight and am totally down for another Batman game, even more so now that its been almost 5 years since its release...

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
At this point I assume its an elaborate joke/riddle concocted by the evil alliance of Riddler and Joker and is in fact not happening ever. Just seems mad that it gets teased at seemingly every event and yet is a no show in every last one. Especially after the teasing around the last SoP. Pity, I really enjoyed Arkham Knight and am totally down for another Batman game, even more so now that its been almost 5 years since its release...
WB Montreal is a cruel mistress

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
People are saying that's gonna be a no-show for TGAs. It'll be announced next year 😞

Isn't that leaked Harry Potter game rumored to be a next-gen game? I could see Batman being the same. WB let Rocksteady go all in this gen with making Arkham Knight a current-gen exclusive. If that's the case then I could see it popping up at one of the console reveals, or at one of the E3 conferences.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Well, some of the replies in this thread were definitely pretty fucking weird if you ask me. The games industry is pretty much the only sector in the entertainment industry where this level of secrecy is not only practiced but even encouraged by fans, judging by some of the posts.

It's frankly pretty embarrassing how much they have some people by the balls. Where even the announcement of a title is treated as a state secret, all in the name of the perfect and almighty marketing campaign.

Look if even one director cares about the bulletpoints of his new film getting leaked. Let alone sending C&D letters or some shit like that.
I will quote myself what i said a few months why this is the case.
Well, that is another subject of discussion, companies spend a ton to keep it secret - it's a fixation with the industry. In any other entertainment industry you know about projects being made as soon as they enter production whether it's movies or music or literature.
The main reason why video games have this secrecy is because of how important marketing is in this particular industry, more so than in movies or music, which often sell based on the names of the artists and their merits. Because of how saturated the games industry is, and the fact that games tend to have longer production cycles than other mediums and a higher cost of entry for a consumer, publishers will want to market their games on their own terms, waiting until the right moment to maximize consumer interest.
Additionally, people who play games often don't comprehend how a game is actually made and the work that goes behind them. There is a disconnect of how games are actually made vs how they are perceived to be made; and publishers will also want to capitalize on the "magical" nature of their projects.
This explains why companies spend a lot of money and time to keep it secret, and why they have options in place to act when someone leaks projects and breaks their NDA.

Aug 26, 2019
Isn't that leaked Harry Potter game rumored to be a next-gen game? I could see Batman being the same. WB let Rocksteady go all in this gen with making Arkham Knight a current-gen exclusive. If that's the case then I could see it popping up at one of the console reveals, or at one of the E3 conferences.
I think the same person saying it'll be announced next year also said that it would be cross-gen

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Suckerpunch is so talented

7PyjXqk.gif

zHkfmwm.gif

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
If I remember well, and correct me if I'm wrong, you said that you leaked Fallout 76 because you thought that people should know that it was a multiplayer game and Bethesda opened pre-orders without saying this. My question is: This is the case here? You think that the info that you have is something that readers should know before the official event?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I wish they would stop with these short 10-20 minute SoPs. It doesn't feel like an event at all.

If you really have to save your load until you can make it 45 mins.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I just finished Persona 5, damn it was so great
I never played a Persona game and tbh I never wanted to know what kind of game it was and didn't know anything about its world/lore, etc...

But with the recent addition of the game to PS Now, well it was the moment to try it

I can easily say that it's one of best games I played this generation !
I loved every characters and the story
Each character with its own interesting background and story, I was surprised it was so well done

The chara design (Ann and Kawamaki <3)
The stylish transition during combat, exploration, etc...
The cutscenes so well made, looks like an anime when you saw them (wished there was more of them)

And to finish, the OST, my god the musics are so good (too bad they are only on Spotify Japan :/)
Musics during exploration, combat, Mementos and the best ones in the Gunshop and when you have secured the route in a Palace

The only minus I found is a few designs of Persona are ugly lol
But among all of them, a few are a really beautiful (Lovers and Priestess <3)

Now I understand why people praise this game so much and I'm happier for Atlus now I know the game has sold 3.2m copies

Yeah it's great. So stylish too.

And when I thought the music couldn't get any better, the game introduces this one near the end.

I also really liked how different it feels compared to other turned based rpgs, with the daily stuff and confidants.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
In fact, there is also likely to predict the return of Ape Escape during this State Of Play because I do not know if you forgot but last June an image had teased the potential return of the license.

Added to that is the fact that Japan Studio has to announce its new game this year, they said last year.

D9to8e-QUIAAefiq-jpg-large-e1561332072778-1280x720.jpg

And even go further, it's the 25th anniversary of PlayStation ... There are rumors about a potential Crash Bandicoot World and if, Sony gathered Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape and Resident Evil 3 for the occasion? Hmm ...
crash-bandicoot-worlds.jpg

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
In fact, there is also likely to predict the return of Ape Escape during this State Of Play because I do not know if you forgot but last June an image had teased the potential return of the license.

Added to that is the fact that Japan Studio has to announce its new game this year, they said last year.

D9to8e-QUIAAefiq-jpg-large-e1561332072778-1280x720.jpg

And even go further, it's the 25th anniversary of PlayStation ... There are rumors about a potential Crash Bandicoot World and if, Sony gathered Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape and Resident Evil 3 for the occasion? Hmm ...
crash-bandicoot-worlds.jpg
Geoff did say that nothing for the TGAs has leaked, and Crash did leak if you count Sabi. I can see the next Crash game being a State of Play reveal with the usual marketing deal.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Are the launch games looking good? I don't care what you leak, give me everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.