• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to have bad taste.

Spider-Man was fun, but God of War was a bit too safe for my taste and RDR2 is just not very interesting to me in terms of mechanics. Sekiro, Fallen Order and Control have more interesting level and encounter design in my opinion. But I'm not a big fan of open worlds period, I like that this year had lots of quality SP experiences without massive open worlds and identikit quests. RE2, DMC V, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Ace Combat also qualify.

It's why I'm hoping Sony makes/funds more games like The Last Guardian, Astro Bot and Bloodborne.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Thankfully Era taste is not general audience taste... If some of you got your way with Playstation, we would probably be talking about...

-Bloodborne 4 would already be in development
-Ape Escape PS4 Reboot's sequel as a main PS5 launch title
-We would be getting the second rhythim/fighting game spin off from Sony's PreMIeR JrpG FrANcHiSe.
-A 18 ft Kat statue is placed in Playstation HQ to celebrate the brand's mascot and to coincide with the release of Gravity Rush 3 GOTY edition's launch on PS4/PS5.

Again Era taste is nowhere near general audience.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Thankfully Era taste is not general audience taste... If some of you got your way with Playstation, we would probably be talking about...

-We would be getting the second rhythim/fighting game spin off from Sony's PreMIeR JrpG FrANcHiSe.
-A 18 ft Kat statue is placed in Playstation HQ to celebrate the brand's mascot and to coincide with the release of Gravity Rush 3 GOTY edition's launch on PS4/PS5.
Is that supposed to sound bad?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Better than Days Gone 2 to me.

Aug 26, 2019
I'm in favor of converting non-cinematic franchises into cinematic franchises. Give me an Ape Escape written by Cory Barlog and directed by Hideo Kojima

Oct 25, 2017
2018 might have been better for SIE, but for video games in general, I think I actually prefer this year by a slight margin. Jan-Mar period looks far away, perhaps that's why having such releases like DMC V, Sekiro or RE 2 is now diminished.

Who knows, people consume games the way they eat fast food. No time to ponder on the value of things, to stop and appreciate what you have in front of you.

Pretty much.

I don't live and die by Sony titles so I find 2019's slate of diverse titles superior.

It's been such a damn good year.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
To this thread yes. Only cinematic franchises matter now

Not to this thread but the mass market .
Make no mistake sometimes people in this thread like different things but we also as main stream as it get .
Just look at the games that win GOTY on here or the ones that most talk about it line up perfectly with everyone else.
Aside from sports games .

Oct 25, 2017
Not to this thread but the mass market .
Make no mistake sometimes people in this thread like different things but we also as main stream as it get .
Just look at the games that win GOTY on here or the ones that most talk about it line up perfectly with everyone else.
Aside from sports games .
And that's perfectly fine but when dumb post like that are made to look "bad" I can't help but laugh. Y'all dismiss any other need for a genre in here so quick it's annoying. Everybody don't want a uncharted style game over and over so respect that instead whatever that post was

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): inflammatory commentary, history of similar behavior

This is all very true. But those delusional individuals will continue echoing off each other that one day all those things you highlighted and more will finally be the popular focus of PlayStation. This their safe space.

This place likes to think of itself as the hub of 'enthusiast' (aka) A sophisticated cover up for weeb-boomer gamers who complain every week about bad pacing, hand holding, and whatever else on their allergy list for the hardcore when it comes cinematic focus games and their unfortunate popularity that will kill video games any day now...

PS5 is doomed for the whole generation if it doesn't launch with (99) JRPGs, (30) 8Bit indies, (20) 16Bit indies and the PS5 start up intro isn't Kat standing awkwardly by a window as she's welcoming us back.

Oct 25, 2017
^ like this maybe it's just time I bail up outta here. Use to be a good thread back on the old place ironically. Discussion wasn't shut down about other franchises

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
And that's perfectly fine but when dumb post like that are made to look "bad" I can't help but laugh. Y'all dismiss any other need for a genre in here so quick it's annoying. Everybody don't want a uncharted style game over and over so respect that instead whatever that post was

Some people need to separated what people want from when they talking business .
I would love more RPGs form Sony be it small or big , JRPG or WRPG or Co op or SP ones
But if we talking what has a chance to happen i not going be dreamer and say for eg a turn base big budget JRPG from Sony lol.
Say it not going to happen is not always about shutting down stuff but also looking at the business aspect of it all.

Oct 26, 2017
This place likes to think of itself as the hub of 'enthusiast' (aka) A sophisticated cover up for weeb-boomer gamers who complain every week about bad pacing, hand holding, and whatever else on their allergy list for the hardcore when it comes cinematic focus games and their unfortunate popularity that will kill video games any day now...

Did you seriously wrote this unironically?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
We would not be having much of a hostile "discourse", if fun speculation of the grand return of Sony JRPGs , or *insert obscure Sony IP from two decades ago*, was not framed, in part, as a "Fuck cinematic games" discussion. Some people here get real pissy about harsh criticism being directed at JRPGs as a genre, or legacy IPs, yet will gladly be willing to throw any game ranging from Spiderman, to Horizon, to TLOU into a vague as hell "Cinematic" umbrella and call it a day. To be fair, the discussion can also start the other way around, still, we are just going in circles, while Sony have already made up their mind about what general audiences are willing to pay for.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
We would not be having much of a hostile "discourse", if fun speculation of the grand return of Sony JRPGs , or *insert obscure Sony IP from two decades ago*, was not framed, in part, as a "Fuck cinematic games" discussion. Some people here get real pissy about harsh criticism being directed at JRPGs as a genre, or legacy IPs, yet will gladly be willing to throw any game ranging from Spiderman, to Horizon, to TLOU into a vague as hell "Cinematic" umbrella and call it a day. To be fair, the discussion can also start the other way around, still, we are just going in circles.

This true , people look down on what other people like and then it turn other people do the same.
Now the thread has gotten to this because partly because of that .
I mean we all know some people say "Cinematic" to say something with a game not up to par and then people do the same with other games\genres.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Sony should make more multiplayer games. They have ips that are just perfect for a big multiplayer push, like Tokyo Jungle, PlayStation All-Stars, Twisted Metal, SOCOM and I'm sure there Studios would be able to come up with a few new games that are multiplayer as well.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
We would not be having much of a hostile "discourse", if fun speculation of the grand return of Sony JRPGs , or *insert obscure Sony IP from two decades ago*, was not framed, in part, as a "Fuck cinematic games" discussion. Some people here get real pissy about harsh criticism being directed at JRPGs as a genre, or legacy IPs, yet will gladly be willing to throw any game ranging from Spiderman, to Horizon, to TLOU into a vague as hell "Cinematic" umbrella and call it a day. To be fair, the discussion can also start the other way around, still, we are just going in circles.
People reading it as "fuck cinematic games" sound insecure, most of these discussions didn't even talk about those games until someone say "no because it means I'll have less cinematic games".
The fun speculation doesn't happen for long because there's always someone that doesn't want to hear about this. Case in point with a few posts on this page.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
People reading it as "fuck cinematic games" sound insecure, most of these discussions didn't even talk about those games until someone say "no because it means I'll have less cinematic games".
The fun speculation doesn't happen for long because there's always someone that doesn't want to hear about this. Case in point with a few posts on this page.

The fun speculation is the same thing over and over or asking for the same thing over and over .
While that is fun sometimes it makes no sense .

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
In the last few days there are rumors (unreliable) that Sony might be working on a portable device. What do you guys think about it?

How WWS will develop games for 3 devices?

In that case will you change you minds about more acquisitions?

Must have missed these new rumours but there was this odd paragraph in this Financial Times article last October about PS5:

There have been industry rumours that Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions.

Most likely nothing but weird they included such rumour.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The fun speculation is the same thing over and over or asking for the same thing over and over .
While that is fun sometimes it makes no sense .
It makes more sense than trying to over-analyze a company employee posting about a job offer.
That has nothing to do with the original post and why I replied to it anyway.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did you seriously wrote this unironically?
giphy.gif

Sony should make more multiplayer games. They have ips that are just perfect for a big multiplayer push, like Tokyo Jungle, PlayStation All-Stars, Twisted Metal, SOCOM and I'm sure there Studios would be able to come up with a few new games that are multiplayer as well.

Or an idea that won't flop like a fish on land. Work with Epic Games to bring PS All-Star skins to a already super popular multiplayer.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Or an idea that won't flop like a fish on the land. Work with Epic Games to bring PS All-Star skins to a already super popular multiplayer.
What makes you think it would flop? With how big Sony games have become this gen, that game would have a better chance to sell then it did before. Making their own fighting game would be a hell of a lot better than buying semi exclusivity of Street Fighter.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all speculate release dates for the same 3 games analyze job posts over and over..but ppl talking bout genres and old ip they want that's the straw

I don't analyse that shit in fact i think i talk about that once in my whole time in these threads .
Same for release dates unless we talking next gen which i like to talk about and could give you Idea when we can see a new IP from the team .

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
^ like this maybe it's just time I bail up outta here. Use to be a good thread back on the old place ironically. Discussion wasn't shut down about other franchises
You turned your back on Dreams for a while back in the day. You should be forever shamed.

___

For me, this year had a lot of good mixed with some bad. There's a lot of big stuff I haven't played yet (actually, anything released after Mortal Kombat 11 not counting Death Stranding). Control, Days Gone, and Disco Elysium are the only things I kind of want to play that I missed out on. I'll probably rent them when I have some free time. I have rented games in years, but money has been tight preparing for Baby #3. I want to try Jedi: Fallen Order too, but I've never been the biggest Star Wars fan.

MK11 was awesome, but then it had that awful Krypt shit which basically ruined my desire to play it after I got through all the story stuff. Like, I like the idea behind what they did with the Krypt, but the grind was insane at launch.

I enjoyed the DMC franchise even if I've never really enjoyed character action games, but I just wasn't the least bit interested in V. I think it had to do with the aesthetics this time around. Buggy, organic design has never been all that interesting to me and it seemed like all the enemies were designed with that in mind.

Sekiro was alright, but I really don't remember shit about it even though I enjoyed my time with it and finished with the good ending. I had a lot of fun exploring the world, but it just didn't leave a lasting impression. Certainly no Bloodborne in that regard.

Nioh 2 Beta was as awesome as all the demos for Nioh 1 and I'm excited to jump back into it.

Dreams is freaking amazing. Absolute stunner. Can't wait to see what Mm's campaign is like and then how the game is going to change and grow for PS5.

Death Stranding was an amazing experience and I loved playing through it. I'm still thinking about that game and all the things I want to do in it still. It was a rental though and I probably won't get it again.

Fortnite started the year off strong and even had good cosmetics the season before this one, but they basically decided to stop updating Battle Royale for the time being and even extended this lackluster season by two months. It's so freaking dull. At least Save the World has been killing it in the meantime with lots of quests and character additions.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
MK11 was awesome, but then it had that awful Krypt shit which basically ruined my desire to play it after I got through all the story stuff. Like, I like the idea behind what they did with the Krypt, but the grind was insane at launch.
Having there be three different currencies was so dumb. It should have been play game, get gold, unlock stuff in krypt. One currency and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.