• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
That conversation was allowed to run though, without accusations of 'concern' and 'shut up about the money', was it not?

This is getting OT: It's not really a nonsense comment at all, it's a fair thing to say, but what isn't appropriate is using it to shut down legitimate views.

Gaming to me is so much more than actually playing a game - and I probably do more reading than playing these days - so shutting down conversation because people can't tolerate a different opinion is, quite frankly, offensive.
Appreciate you being honest in admitting this, but I also think it's part of the problem. There's too much discussion, analysis and debating about the industry. It robs a gaming forum of the joy of simply enjoying video games.

But I digress, I sincerely enjoyed reading your comment about all 3 platform holder going different ways. I've always strongly felt Xbox is too similar to PS, and every gen it's either or for me (also why I think console warring is stronger between Sony/MS and not Nintendo) instead of buying both consoles. With GamePass/Xcloud I could honestly see a PC, PS5 and Switch2 in my house for gaming next gen, first time I would be in all ecosystems and that's pretty cool for me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The first PS2 Siren was amazing in terms of atmosphere, music, sound effects, even the British voice acting & accents + graphics at that time.

The story with multiple characters are intriguing, but the flaws lies in the gameplay in my opinion...

It was too much for trial-and-error, especially when played with no guide at all.

The complete walkthrough on YouTube makes me in awe as in "how the hell am I supposed to know that???"

Still, Toyama & the team nailed with the setting; although I kinda wish it was traditional linear a-la Silent Hill...

I still remember the sniper "b" mission that required you to clear the mission within a very strict (and invisible) time limit. Hardest thing in the entire game in my opinion, once you nail that objective, the rest of the game is a pushover. I still remember the missions focusing around the kid which were fantastic, very screwed up especially the outcome. The entire house level where you had to escape as the kid from the Shibito family was amazing, probably my favourite stage in the game. The sequel goes quite a way to making objectives and overall gameplay more refined, less trial and error and just less janky in general, but I think I still preferred the setting and overall story/characters in the first game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Btw what's up with people loving SOCOM so much? Did it do something unique?

It's easy to forget because the series was in its prime over a decade ago, but if you into shooters on the PS2 then SOCOM was more than likely the game that got you into the online aspect of the genre. It was Sony's flagship title when they launched the network adapter. And SOCOM 2 is when it really blew up. In its first month it sold 380k, but in its second month it sold 477k.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate you being honest in admitting this, but I also think it's part of the problem. There's too much discussion, analysis and debating about the industry. It robs a gaming forum of the joy of simply enjoying video games.

But I digress, I sincerely enjoyed reading your comment about all 3 platform holder going different ways. I've always strongly felt Xbox is too similar to PS, and every gen it's either or for me (also why I think console warring is stronger between Sony/MS and not Nintendo) instead of buying both consoles. With GamePass/Xcloud I could honestly see a PC, PS5 and Switch2 in my house for gaming next gen, first time I would be in all ecosystems and that's pretty cool for me.

After 45+ years I still find joy in videogames, don't worry about that. I have years of nostalgia banked, so I love reading about the history and culture of gaming, but I still get hyped for new stuff just like always.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Lol...same here.
When I first heard of the concept of the Mules I thought,that's a bit strange....being addicted to delivering stuff doesn't make much sense,but I'm totally gonna end up a Mule at this rate....just one more delivery,lol.
Ditto, only just hit chapter 3 myself because I was focusing on doing lots of optional deliveries and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. Its my go to relaxing game for the moment, having great fun with it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed seeing Gio on Kinda Funny Games, I hope they can bring him back a few more times over the next couple months to give his thoughts on various things

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
nah, from playing Gears 5, there is no way it has the same budget at a God Of War Horizon, and a Spider-Man. Gears 5 is a few notches below these games. Gears plays as a service games, especially with the way the dlc is setup.

with the new games that were shown at xo19, how can anyone say that a services doesn't effect the games? Look at what rare has made twice for their last 2 games? Both look like low budget filler games. The new obsidian game? 🤢🤮 no way.
But we can leave that out.
I'm all down for day one games on ps now, as long as they keep up the top tier quality as a Uncharted 4, GOW, horizon, Spider-Man etc. But with PlayStation games, it makes more sense for them to release first because these games actually sell, unlike first party Xbox ganes.

Few notches below? I would argue that its in top 3 of most beautiful games ťhis gen and a great technical achievement. I have had my problems with it, especially regarding the semi open world turn for this franchise (man fuck that), but few notches below?

Its got everything that sony first party games do plus coop, magnificient horde, multiplayer, free post launch support.. wtf man. However, its sp campaign should be an arc/chapter (the longer one) longer.

Why is microsoft most complex aaa game and a graphical/technical feast few notches below than horizon? Dont be dude man.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine trynna talk about any other exclusives in here of course they gonna go "a couple notches below what you expect.
Few notches below? I would argue that its in top 3 of most beautiful games ťhis gen and a great technical achievement. I have had my problems with it, especially regarding the semi open world turn for this franchise (man fuck that), but few notches below?

Its got everything that sony first party games do plus coop, magnificient horde, multiplayer, free post launch support.. wtf man. However, its sp campaign should be an arc/chapter (the longer one) longer.

Why is microsoft most complex aaa game and a graphical/technical feast few notches below than horizon? Dont be dude man.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

What do you mean don't be that dude? Like i said the game is a few notches below those games. It doesn't stand up to them. Even with multiplayer and coop it's not the gears game game of before. The campaign was garbage. The online no one even plays any more. The dlc cost almost half of what the actual game cost retail
Are the graphics nice? They are ok. But look at that game and then look at Ucharted 4, GOW, Horizon. Hell look at Death stranding, which i think is the best looking game this gen, that gameplay lures you in makes you keep playing, there is no way the production value of gears 5 is anywhere near what DS is.
like i said from playing Gears 5, yes it's a better put together game than state of decay, crackdown 3. But the glitches, the way the story panned out, how broken the online is, it's nothing compared to the quality of the games i listed.
Can't believe you really sat here and said "Don't be that guy" as if those glitches, and broken online in gears is of the same level as UC4, GOW, Horizon, DS, Spider-Man.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I just had a daydream where Cory Barlog's new game was based in the Star Trek universe and I think I came a little. Oh what I'd give for that!

We need someone to get in touch with HH and get them making a Star Trek game, stat!

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What do you mean don't be that dude? Like i said the game is a few notches below those games. It doesn't stand up to them. Even with multiplayer and coop it's not the gears game game of before. The campaign was garbage. The online no one even plays any more. The dlc cost almost half of what the actual game cost retail
Are the graphics nice? They are ok. But look at that game and then look at Ucharted 4, GOW, Horizon. Hell look at Death stranding, which i think is the best looking game this gen, that gameplay lures you in makes you keep playing, there is no way the production value of gears 5 is anywhere near what DS is.
like i said from playing Gears 5, yes it's a better put together game than state of decay, crackdown 3. But the glitches, the way the story panned out, how broken the online is, it's nothing compared to the quality of the games i listed.
Can't believe you really sat here and said "Don't be that guy" as if those glitches, and broken online in gears is of the same level as UC4, GOW, Horizon, DS, Spider-Man.
looks at gears frame rate and look and sony games frame rate.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Whoa, are you me? I've had the exact same problem recently and bought it around the same time. I've seen the Crystal controller for as low as $11 so I wonder if it's a quality control problem.
Will definitely be looking to buy around black friday.
Oh weird! Yeah I saw Wario64 tweet about the sale at Walmart and thought the same thing. Maybe there was a bad batch or them or something. I think I'm gonna call sony and send it in for a replacement. A controller should endure more than a few months of light use before getting some serious mechnical failure.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
User Banned (1 week): Platform warring over a series of posts; history of previous infractions.
Yeah.... let's go back on topic. You know, Sony 1st party stuff.

All I'm saying, is that what we have seen so far shows that putting new games day one on a service, does affect the game. This won't stop the fact that Gears isn't on the same level as UC4, God Of War, Horizon, Spider-Man. There is a different level as polish there. No doubt. We won't sit here and pretend we don't see, and play that.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Let's not go crazy. Gears 5 budget is probably even higher than spider-man's. The Coalition is a big ass studio and while obviously some devs worked on other things there, most of them were on Gears 5.

Gears 5, Horizon, Spider-man are probably all in the same ballpark when it comes to budget.
Not liking a game doesn't mean it's a low budget game.

Personally i don't even know why we are arguing about Gears' budget.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its fine to talk about. It just, imo, makes very little sense to talk about Xbox business In the same way when they clearly don't want you to. Sony and Nintendo provide most of the data needed to infer how well they are doing, Microsoft doesn't. So Phil Spencer's words carry little weight here. Direct comparisons are over so it's futile to attempt them.

That's MS problem for hiding data. Sales and business analysis doesn't matter....until they do.

Oct 26, 2017
Let's not go crazy. Gears 5 budget is probably even higher than spider-man's. The Coalition is a big ass studio and while obviously some devs worked on other things there, most of them were on Gears 5.

Gears 5, Horizon, Spider-man are probably all in the same ballpark when it comes to budget.
Not liking a game doesn't mean it's a low budget game.

Personally i don't even know why we are arguing about Gears' budget.

This is what happens when you got people with little to no clue about how game development works but they love to console warring a lot and start posting bullshit to try to prove their flawed point.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
This is what happens when you got people with little to no clue about how game development works but they love to console warring a lot and start posting bullshit to try to prove their flawed point.

most not even about budget at this point really. It's about the attention and care that goes into a game. The quality of GOW and Horizon>>>>> the quality of Gears 5. Gears 5 came out a mess, without all the bugs and glitches.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I remember an interview from him saying that he would love to make a game of that Franchise.

😳

Holy shit, really? I don't suppose you can link it, can ya?

I've wanted a AAA Trek game on the level of a Sony first party title since forever and I think that becoming a reality would give me heart palpitations. Cory making it would be a full blown heart attack 😁

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
😳

I've wanted a AAA Trek game on the level of a Sony first party title since forever and I think that becoming a reality would give me heart palpitations. Cory making it would be a full blown heart attack 😁
It was one of the 10 interview he gave after GoW was out, so knowing which one was it will be hard lol

But I remember him saying and I think it was with Kinda Funny.

Oct 26, 2017
Yea let's not care about the quality of the games. If you don't care about quality of games, then the Sony 1st party thread isn't for you.

I don't care about your incessant console warring
I don't care about what do you think in general seeing your posts and how you are bringing topics that should not be here.

I know perfectly what's for me, ignored and one small advice, get help.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I wish we heard more from Jim Ryan on legacy titles. I'm ok with how Medievil turned out, but it could have been something more. And if there are interest internally to redo a old classic in the form of a remake.re-imagining.

I want then to do it right. I don't want to see Legend of dragoon remake announced and it visually looks amazing, but plays like the PS1 game. Do what square is doing with FF7.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
😳

Imagine if both SSM and ND make sci-fi games next gen. Not my favorite genre but would be nice.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
I don't care about your incessant console warring
I don't care about what do you think in general seeing your posts and how you are bringing topics that should not be here.

I know perfectly what's for me, ignored and one small advice, get help.

that's where you're reading it wrong. Don't compare console warring, to talking about what games come out with higher quality than others. Be upset at the developer for that. Not me. Since we all understand it now I'm done with the topic. Gottah get some more Star Wars Jedi in real quick before getting back into Death Stranding.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think it was a question about what franchise he would like to see a game from. And he being a huge Star Trek fan he said that he would like to work on it. Even mention what type of story he would like.

Damn, don't think we know about his new project yet, right? Wonder how likely it is that Sony could get a license to make a Star Trek game.

Trek is experiencing a nice resurgence right now and a Sony made AAA game would be the icing on the cake.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Imagine if both SSM and ND make sci-fi games next gen. Not my favorite genre but would be nice.

I think people would lose their shit. LOL. I mean it would be a huge departure for them, and have them out of their comfort zone. At the same time I would love to see what their artist come up with in their own depictions of sci-fi/space.

Damn, don't think we know about his new project yet, right? Wonder how likely it is that Sony could get a license to make a Star Trek game.

Trek is experiencing a nice resurgence right now and a Sony made AAA game would be the icing on the cake.

There's interest for sure with the new shows that are out, and Picard. But movie wise it's in limbo, but it would be cool to do a mass effect style star trek game.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

I doubt anyone here knows what he is working tbh.
But (and this is just me guessing) a sci-fi new IP is more likely than Fantasy. GoW being Fantasy I doubt they would want to work on 2 IPs with similar themes.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we heard more from Jim Ryan on legacy titles. I'm ok with how Medievil turned out, but it could have been something more. And if there are interest internally to redo a old classic in the form of a remake.re-imagining.

I want then to do it right. I don't want to see Legend of dragoon remake announced and it visually looks amazing, but plays like the PS1 game. Do what square is doing with FF7.

I think that's ultimately something Sony would have to feel out from fans. Take Crash or Spyro for example. Fans didn't want the developers of those games taking liberties with their mechanics or level design. So they're prettier versions of the games that were released back on the PSone. I think the same would hold true if SOCOM is ever remade. Fans of those games want the games that they played on the PS2. They don't want it to be "modernized" as they feel that's what hurt SOCOM 4. On the other hand, I definitely think something like MediEvil 2 could benefit from some tweaking. The combat in particular in the remake could feel real clumsy at times, same goes for the platforming. It wouldn't hurt to dig into those aspects and update them.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Btw what's up with people loving SOCOM so much? Did it do something unique?
At the time, yes. It was a hardcore tactical shooter that had online capabilities when online was still a new thing on consoles and had everything you could want with options like clans etc. At one point Socom 2 had more players than all of Xbox Live combined.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I guess the Playstation awards show on Dec 3rd is the next "event" for them. I know we probably shouldn't expect much, but I'm still hopeful for a little something due to the 25th anniversary. Then TGA on the 12th, guessing that's when we get the official release date for Dreams. After that, next stop is the PS Meeting, hopefully in Feb, right?

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope Sony releases some "new news" this week. Spending almost an entire month theorizing about things can end up being boring.

We won't be getting Sony news game-related news till next year, likely February. At best we'll learn about a reshuffle or two, or a new recruit but they have nothing gamewise to talk about. It'll be all about maximising PS4 sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.