• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
How much do you guys think SIE spent on the Insomniac purchase? 500~600 million? For reference, Respawn cost more than 300 to EA in a deal that may end up costing more than 400 if Respawn games reach a certain number of sales.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there another party also bidding for Respawn when EA bought them? Because that might have seriously driven up the price.
But honestly, I have no idea. Wouldn't surprise me if it was 300, also wouldn't surprise me if it was 500.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to get on with it and fund Death Stranding 2 already. Or some other weird KojiPro joint. Whew, this game sure is something.

Except Kojima's writing. Which is still middling as hell.

Oct 1, 2019
How much do you guys think SIE spent on the Insomniac purchase? 500~600 million? For reference, Respawn cost more than 300 to EA in a deal that may end up costing more than 400 if Respawn games reach a certain number of sales.
I think around 400 million. Insomniac is an incredibly valuable studio but no wonder Sony has been ambivalent regarding their studio acquisition statements, Insomniac alone must have cost them their entire acquisition budget.
I am watching some Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) gameplay. And I must say, I am legitimately hyped for whatever Ueda is doing for PS5.
Could take a while. I remember Ueda looking for a publisher recently for his new project. I think whatever he is creating, it's at the least not a PlayStation exclusive anymore.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
That is definitely not the case. All were scheduled for Q1 2020 and Ubisoft delayed all those games while replacing them with nothing.

If Assassin's Creed launches next year, it will launch pretty close to Gods and Monsters and Watch Dogs 3.
Watch Dogs 3 and AC Vikings will probably both release in the fall 2020 window. I suspect Gods and Monsters will be bumped out of 2020 altogether.

Aug 26, 2019
I think around 400 million. Insomniac is an incredibly valuable studio but no wonder Sony has been ambivalent regarding their studio acquisition statements, Insomniac alone must have cost them their entire acquisition budget.

Could take a while. I remember Ueda looking for a publisher recently for his new project. I think whatever he is creating, it's at the least not a PlayStation exclusive anymore.
Yeah I'm prepared for it to be a 2025 title 😞

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Announce P.T (different Name obv) at the PS5 Reveal Event, Demo available the same day.

tenor.gif

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sony owns it as they bought insomniac and all their IPs, but sony are not involved with this game at all, its an oculus exclusive. They will need to negotiate with oculus to publish it on PSVR though.
Stormland is kinda weird tbh, from a review i saw its like a GaaS open world VR game with the map refreshing with new missions every week, i wonder if sony will be interested in something like that.
Can't they just release it as Stormblack Sigma or something

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Insomniac could have demanded any amount in the world and I'm sure Sony were not going to have any problem with it. Spider-Man has sold 13 million in less than a year and at a time when studios are being purchased left, right and centre, Sony did not want anyone getting within an inch of Insomniac. Sure if someone snatched up Insomniac then Sony could have asked another studio, but really who would have been able to do Spider-Man the same kind of justice?

We are going into a new generation soon and games sell consoles, nothing will help Sony sell PS5's more than the inevitable Spider-Man 2 and most importantly, Ratchet & Clank.

Also surely we should be seeing in the next 12 months if this supposed new studio does exist that is making a new Uncharted? Will be interesting to see what a new studio can do with a very tired franchise like Uncharted.

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda think this might be the last last of us.

As in, no tlou3.

In before someone says they sold 50 million copies or whatever.

I think Nd is a 1 game at a time company. I think after tlou2, they are ready to start a new ip (trilogy), and I'm not 100% sure if they want to bounce back and forth between tlou and their new game.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

As in, no tlou3.

I think Nd is a 1 game at a time company. I think after tlou2, they are ready to start a new ip (trilogy), and I'm not 100% sure if they want to bounce back and forth between tlou and their new game.
Depends on whether ND feels that TLoU 2 is a good conclusion for the characters. If they feel that there are more stories to tell with TLoU, then Sony certainly won't mind another 20 million+ title.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Has anyone ever taken advantage of the 1 year warranty for a broken DS4? Both my Crystal DS4's analog sticks have started drifting like crazy and I just got it in June.

I was using it with my hacked Playstation Classic and I've never had this problem before so I spent a straight week troubleshooting Retroarch, my 8bitdo adapter, tried factory resetting the DS4, even tried blowing into the sticks and it worked for a bit but went back to being fucked up after an hour and neither my jet black or 500mil DS4s have ever had any problems. Pretty bummed.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

As in, no tlou3.

I personally want ND to make one off games, new IP. Like Rare is now

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone ever taken advantage of the 1 year warranty for a broken DS4? Both my Crystal DS4's analog sticks have started drifting like crazy and I just got it in June.

I was using it with my hacked Playstation Classic and I've never had this problem before so I spent a straight week troubleshooting Retroarch, my 8bitdo adapter, tried factory resetting the DS4, even tried blowing into the sticks and it worked for a bit but went back to being fucked up after an hour and neither my jet black or 500mil DS4s have ever had any problems. Pretty bummed.

Whoa, are you me? I've had the exact same problem recently and bought it around the same time. I've seen the Crystal controller for as low as $11 so I wonder if it's a quality control problem.
Will definitely be looking to buy around black friday.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'm not stupid, I get that, but. I personally hate that they've been locked into franchises their whole time as. DevS
It's what they want to do? It's ND they can do a new IP anything they want to, I don't get the "locked" into statement here? Jak to uncharted to TLOU back to Uncharted is what the teams at ND have wanted to work on.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Creatives don't always end up making the creative choices that one as a fan wants.

It's the flip side of creative freedom. You win some you lose some.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
That is one of the most condescending things I seen in a wille in this Forum. Not really sure why people are praising it.

"Shut up and game"

Phil has a bit of a cult following thing going on now...why that is, who knows really. We are not just average consumers of video games, we are hobbyist. We have been discussing business strategy, sales, future exceptions as they related to all major video game business for as long as forums have existed. It's such as an asinine notion. How firms/businesses perform does impact their future performance and decision making and hence such topics intrigue us.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Phil has a bit of a cult following thing going on now...why that is, who knows really. We are not just average consumers of video games, we are hobbyist. We have been discussing business strategy, sales, future exceptions as they related to all major video game business for as long as forums have existed. It's such as an asinine notion. How firms/businesses perform does impact their future performance and decision making and hence such topics intrigue us.
And I still want to know who the hell was worried about MS bottom line? The types of questions always seemed to be formed around "is this sustainable for Devs? Or "will this impact how games get made?"
who actually concerned about MS profit margin being 4 gazillion dollars or 5?

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there another party also bidding for Respawn when EA bought them? Because that might have seriously driven up the price.
But honestly, I have no idea. Wouldn't surprise me if it was 300, also wouldn't surprise me if it was 500.

Since EA had the first right of refusal, EA had to match Nexon offer and buy the studio, and they did that.
According to various documents sent by that source, EA outbid the South Korean publisher Nexon, which publishes the Titanfall mobile game and had also made an offer to buy Respawn. EA had 30 days to match that offer, which they chose to do.

EA acquired Respawn for $315 million plus:
"additional variable cash consideration that is contingent upon achievement of certain performance milestones, relating to the development of future titles, through the end of calendar 2022," that could add up to another $140 million.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess, I'd say Respawn was more expensive, both because EA was almost forced to buy it due to Nexon's offer, and also due to the Titanfall IP being more valuable than anything Insomniac owned. But I guess we'll never know

Sony needs to get on with it and fund Death Stranding 2 already. Or some other weird KojiPro joint. Whew, this game sure is something.

Except Kojima's writing. Which is still middling as hell.

I like DS, but instead of a sequel, what I want next is to see him come up with another brand new thing. We dont get enough one-offs in games

And yeah, his writing, mostly dialogue, is poor most times.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I like DS, but instead of a sequel, what I want next is to see him come up with another brand new thing. We dont get enough one-offs in games

And yeah, his writing, mostly dialogue, is poor most times.
As much as Im loving Death Stranding at the moment I'd not be opposed to this. Kojima was tied down with MGS for years, I'd love to see what else he and his team come up with, as DS is a really nice different game to what I usually play.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
so...Sony giving us silent treatment with DS numbers as well ha? C'mon now
Just from the markets we had data for it didn't do as well as I've hoped (Japan is great though), did Benji say anything about sales after his above Days Gone prediction? Though I'm hoping Kojima will give us something like how we got Detroit sales from QD.

Last edited:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey Mr. Jim "Doesn't Fuck Around" Ryan, today on resetERA I learned that if you buy a bunch of studios you'll automatically have the best first party studio lineup among the industry. Maybe it's time for you to start spending some dollars on aquisitions since you're no longer one of the top dogs in the bussiness.

I also learned that the games quality doesn't matter much, what matters is the numbers of games you put out.

Best regards,
Sleepr

/s

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Mr. Jim "Doesn't Fuck Around" Ryan, today on resetERA I learned that if you buy a bunch of studios you'll automatically have the best first party studio lineup among the industry. Maybe it's time for you to start spending some dollars on aquisitions since you're no longer one of the top dogs in the bussiness.

I also learned that the games quality doesn't matter much, what matters is the numbers of games you put out.

Best regards,
Sleepr

/s
Yep. And now repeat it again and again and post it 3939939 times and maybe it becomes true ;)

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017

Best regards,
Sleepr

/s

Please don't bring that in here, the thread is already a mess of fanboy panic.

It's clear Sony, MS and Nintendo are travelling different paths, let's celebrate that and see how it all pans out. Better than everybody doing the same thing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I think your guess might be a good one. I'm not sure if the Insomniac acquisition has been reflected in cash outflows in Sony's results yet, but if it was accounted for in the last quarter, there might be a hint in those numbers:

I'm not an analyst, but also with regard to the Insomniac acquisition:

Sony updated their three year cash allocation outline, and under Strategic Investments, updated it (since May) to note 150bn yen in other investments. Previously under that headline they'd only marked out the EMI acquisition.

The cash flow outline for the quarter also notes 'other investing' of 92.2bn yen.

I'm not sure what else Sony acquired in the quarter other than Insomniac but the latter might represent the max upper limit of what Insomniac cost in cash. So if I had to ballpark, maybe the Insomniac acquisition cost mid-to-upper hundreds of millions of dollars.

The assumptions there might be wrong though...for example I'm not sure if those figures were inclusive of exclusive of Sony Financial's activities, which could skew things significantly.

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Please don't bring that in here, the thread is already a mess of fanboy panic.

It's clear Sony, MS and Nintendo are travelling different paths, let's celebrate that and see how it all pans out. Better than everybody doing the same thing.

Well ofc it's clear they're on different paths, I just think it's funny that all of the sudden "everyone" forgets about the great games that sony released in the last couple of years. Not really sure what's going on the forum but whatever.

It's almost like a cycle that repeats itself gen after gen. I remember reading similar stuff back in 2012.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
so...Sony giving us silent treatment with DS numbers as well ha? C'mon now
We'll see if they actually gonna report Death Stranding current sales or not...

Not to mention, they didn't even announce Days Gone lifetime sales by the time I posted this.

Imagine, if Death Stranding one month sales were actually lower than Days Gone; but still Death Stranding got a PR for it instead...

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

sleepr

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Btw what's up with people loving SOCOM so much? Did it do something unique?

Status
Not open for further replies.