• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Its funny that some people doubt in company which sell 100+ mln hardware, have 14 very talented studios and 10+ mln IPs :)
So much fun.
tenor.gif

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Yah, the proble is, netflix doenst make any money

You can't compare Microsoft to Netflix. The economic situation is much different. If Sony went the Netflix model, they would be even worse debt than Netflix. Apple, Amazon, Google and Microsoft have the luxury to able to absorb the losses for a long time made to gain dominance in a market. Something Sony doesn't really have.

Oct 25, 2017
People coming in here and being all negative so soon after SIE released Death Stranding is bizarre.
Death Stranding is incredible so you should all go play that and stop moaning,lol.

MS see their mistake and are trying to fix it. First party games. Say what you will, they are making big moves to get there. Won't pay off till a few years, but they are getting there.

Sony has the first party. 100%. But other than that, it doesn't feel like they are making any power plays. Just more AAA games. I get it. "Its all about the games anyways". But MS is doing that plus more.

They are going hard on Mixer for next gen. Elite controller. Gamepass is a fucking great service. Xcloud seems to be stealing all the mindshare. PSNOW rarely feels like its part of the conversation.

Dunno, maybe its because Sony has been absent from all the major conferences and their state of play is kinda mehhh and few and far between that its skewing my perspective?

But its like "Heres a new article about the PS5 triggers" .......................yay.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Imo this here is still funny. MS announced a few new 1st party AA games and some old japanese 3rd party games for GamePass.... and this thread almost exploded in the last 60 minutes.

I really liked Cardinal Syn :/ Too bad Sony never continued it. It was a nice mix of Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat and Thrill Kill. It even had fatalities.
Good times.

Ahh, Thrill Kill. I think the story surrounding it is my favorite in gaming. A game that is hyped entirely on how violent sexual it is. Then EA buys the publisher of the game and immediately cans it stating that they don't want to publish something like that. The game later leaks and people find out two things. The first is that it's nowhere near was violent or sexual as the hype had indicated. It's actually pretty damn tame. But also that it was really awful. The developer of Thrill Kill would turn around and essentially rebrand the game into a Wu-Tang fighting game.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sure, I'd like a JRPG from Sony's first-party studios. A futuristic racer would also be nice. And there definitely needs to be some more emphasis on platformers, preferably of the 3D variety. A snowboarding game in the style of SSX Tricky would go down an absolute treat. Ooh, how about a stealth game along the same lines as Syphon Filter or Splinter Cell? We're not exactly drowning in those right now.

Maybe tone it down a bit with the gritty, post-apocalyptic action games though.

Jan 20, 2019
You can't compare Microsoft to Netflix. The economic situation is much different. If Sony went the Netflix model, they would be even worse debt than Netflix. Apple, Amazon, Google and Microsoft have the luxury to able to absorb the losses for a long time made to gain dominance in a market. Something Sony doesn't really have.

Then why is not google doing? Whybis amazon not doing it?

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Using ethnic slur "jap".
we will probably see a lot more Jap./Jrpg Games finding their way on Gamepass. Its a Win Win Situation for both parties - Japanese Game sell mostly on Ps4 and Switch, so there is not much money to loose from the perspective of the developers, while Microsoft is making their Gamepass more attractive to these fanbases.

personally im happy to see Microsoft making a strong comeback - this will only push Sony further to deliver. They will respond with a bang, im confident about that.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Thrill Kill. That takes me back. I had a friend who obtained a copy of that somehow and a bunch of us went to his house and put some time into it. It was the forbidden fruit of gaming at the time, and we as kids were desperate to play it. It's exactly as SolidSnakex says though - it was tame as hell and it absolutely sucked. There was a maid character who groaned in an orgasmic manner when she won a round, and that was about as obscene as it got.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
we will probably see a lot more Jap./Jrpg Games finding their way on Gamepass. Its a Win Win Situation for both parties - Japanese Game sell mostly on Ps4 and Switch, so there is not much money to loose from the perspective of the developers, while Microsoft is making their Gamepass more attractive to these fanbases.

personally im happy to see Microsoft making a strong comeback - this will only push Sony further to deliver. They will respond with a bang, im confident about that.

That's what Jim Ryan has been saying. I'm very curious to see if they will be able to accomplish this or not.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, Thrill Kill. I think the story surrounding it is my favorite in gaming. A game that is hyped entirely on how violent sexual it is. Then EA buys the publisher of the game and immediately cans it stating that they don't want to publish something like that. The game later leaks and people find out two things. The first is that it's nowhere near was violent or sexual as the hype had indicated. It's actually pretty damn tame. But also that it was really awful. The developer of Thrill Kill would turn around and essentially rebrand the game into a Wu-Tang fighting game.
Remember how cool you were among your friends because you had Thrill Kill at home? ;D
A snowboarding game in the style of SSX Tricky would go down an absolute treat.
You mean something like Sony's Cool Boarders franchise? ;)
Thrill Kill. That takes me back. I had a friend who obtained a copy of that somehow and a bunch of us went to his house and put some time into it. It was the forbidden fruit of gaming at the time, and we as kids were desperate to play it. It's exactly as SolidSnakex says though - it was tame as hell and it absolutely sucked. There was a maid character who groaned in an orgasmic manner when she won a round, and that was about as obscene as it got.
You mean Belladonna? ;) My favourite character was Dr. Faustus ;D
Nah, it's over. After today Sony will announce that the PS5 got canceled. It's over. Sony's going 3rd party.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Sony needs to respond to gamepass before next gen. MS is already sub players away beyond the start of next gen. I always had PS but it's start to being difficult not to change, this a year ago wasn't even a remote possibility.
Now they have more studios, FP on gamepass day one, some TP at day one or close, JRPGs in gamepass.

Sony needs more studios and expand Now to a gamepass concurrent.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this thread after a uneventful press conference by another platform is pretty much what I expected. I use to be disappointed, now. I just feel sad for some of you.. 😕

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Sony needs to respond to gamepass before next gen. MS is already sub players away beyond the start of next gen. I always had PS but it's start to being difficult not to change, this a year ago wasn't even a remote possibility.
Now they have more studios, FP on gamepass day one, some TP at day one or close, JRPGs in gamepass.

They already responded. If you want to play the sequels to GoW, Horizon and Spider-man, and all those other games by Sony, you will have to buy a PS5.
These games won't be playable on Gamepass.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking only for myself, I definitely enjoyed Sony's PS3 first party output more than their PS4 output. That's not to say they NEVER released anything good, but Bloodborne and Spider-Man alone do not a favorite console make. Uncharted 4 was fine, but it passed out of memory a week after I finished it.

We just have to disagree I guess. I personally prefer PS4 output to PS3s output (only exception would be TLOU but we are about to get TLOU 2 so that part is covered too)

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
MS see their mistake and are trying to fix it. First party games. Say what you will, they are making big moves to get there. Won't pay off till a few years, but they are getting there.

Sony has the first party. 100%. But other than that, it doesn't feel like they are making any power plays. Just more AAA games. I get it. "Its all about the games anyways". But MS is doing that plus more.

They are going hard on Mixer for next gen. Elite controller. Gamepass is a fucking great service. Xcloud seems to be stealing all the mindshare. PSNOW rarely feels like its part of the conversation.

Dunno, maybe its because Sony has been absent from all the major conferences and their state of play is kinda mehhh and few and far between that its skewing my perspective?

But its like "Heres a new article about the PS5 triggers" .......................yay.

I suppose it depends on what side you flip. I don't really agree that MS is there on first party games yet. It is good they are investing, but I think the gap is till pretty darn big so far.

I really don't see what is particularly interesting about Gamepass. I buy games and sell them after I finish them. I probably spend less money than people pay on Gamepass and get only the games I want. It is good to have options though.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see Sony revitalize their extreme sport takes. They made some of the best games in that genre. And it'd mean a revival of this

Sony should have never closed Incognito Entertainment. Such a talented studio. They made games that were simply fun..... but weren't big sellers. I still miss them :( Twisted Metal, Downhill Domination, War of the Monsters, Warhawk.... their games were soooo goooood ;(

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Microsoft is running a charity...

They lose money in the console, on gamepass, on xclound, they are like a bank we are free costumers, makes perfect sense...
Microsoft is basically setting themselves up like never before to be a loss-leader in the gaming market, in the hope that they can reach as many of the projected "2 billion gamers" that are out there, and their approach to Game Pass going forward proves it. Whether the losses they are currently and will continue to eat will net them as many global users as PlayStation in total is debatable. Especially since Sony also has services which are popular and make them billions overall, but as far as PS Now is concerned, are a lot more conservative (and realistic) about the impact that streaming is going to have over the course of the next few years. It will grow with demand and Sony doesn't need to give away their games day one or bargain with publishers to get day one releases until they feel like they have to.

Oct 1, 2019

Well, I don't see Sony acquiring studios any time soon and it looks like all of their 1st-devs are focusing on AAA games (except for PixelOpus) so they could possibly go for AA exclusive publishing deals with smaller 3rd-party devs.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is so boring man. Do you guys read of the same script? Is it that hard for you to understand that sony has a different strategy?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Cool Boarders was kinda crap, even back during the PS1 days. Time to start again with a new IP and simply mimic the whole joyous vibe and outlandish gameplay mechanics that EA nailed with Tricky. It's not like they're going to bother with a new SSX game anytime soon.
You don't need a big team for such a game. So they should contact Firesprite and tell them to make a Arcade Snowboard or Arcade Racing game. AA budget and a team of ~20 devs should be enough.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019

Sony won't spend a lot of money in something that they don't even know if will works in long term. People seens to forget that MS has a lot of money to fund stuff like this. Sony focus now is to spend money on exclusive games for PS5.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

The thing is outside very specific forums, anything ms does not necessarily resonate with the normal population that buys consoles but doesn't live in places like Era all day.
Just personal experience, anecdotal if you wish, but nobody at work or friends talks about game pass or know who is obsidian, or Scarlett....but they know somehow that ps5 is launching next year and start being curious about it (,price...)
They don't know what psnow is either and only one person i know has told me about remote play without me telling him first.

Oct 25, 2017
I will say the one thing Sony needs to pick up is making a service comparable to Gamepass. being able to play all those games at a low cost is enticing to a gamer

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
This is so boring man. Do you guys read of the same script? Is it that hard for you to understand that sony has a different strategy?
The strategy is different but at this point is starting to appear much better to people that was/is on Sony eco system, or to people that will chose on of the two consoles in the next generation.
PS has the FP games on their side, but that wasn't the only trump in the begenning of this generation and for almost the entire generation.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass feels like a race to the bottom. I'd still like to see how it benefits studios. If studios have a hard time making the financials of today's market work, I just don't see how the math works in their favor. It feels like it's going to create an audience that expects to play everything on day one for $10/month thus devaluing content across the board. If the model actually helps/works, and isn't buoyed by deep Microsoft pockets, then I'm all for it. But I'd like to see the math to support the claims.

I still feel like Sony is making the right move on that front. I would like to see them get around to actually honoring their past though. So many great titles they can leverage and they just sit on them.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I love the JRPG fans in this thread who haven't spoken a word about Trails of Cold Steel 3 since it released are now dying to play older games that have been on PlayStation for years on a different platform.

This thread used to be a lot better than this.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
They already responded. If you want to play the sequels to GoW, Horizon and Spider-man, and all those other games by Sony, you will have to buy a PS5.

this right here. Exactly.
Too many big games to play than to be worrying about a game pass service. 🤣🤣
Keep making those big AAA games Sony. You got millions who will pay the $60 for them.

when games sales go down, then they can put everything day one on PS now

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Sub players away ?
Nothing MS has done has made there sales better this gen and that goes for game pass also .
What Sony needs to do is what best for them and adjust when need be .
That does not always line up with what some consumers want and the company goals .

The big 3rd party games won't be there on day 1 either .
Another thing is some people making to much of a big deal for old and niche games.
It is good that there on GP yes but it really don't matter .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's first party should combine a bunch of stupid shit to make a new mega-genre. It can be a battle royale skateboarding game!

Naughty Dog can make it.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes this thread feels like the twilight zone.

Reality: Playstation Firing on all cylinders.

Thread: Playstation needs to copy > Insert whoever here < Because in a few years time > insert reason here < and they've got more money than Santa clause.

But I never see whatever the latest claim of impending doom is echoed in reality, like ever. It's just a little weird to me after 6 years of complete dominance and well received games.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how cool you were among your friends because you had Thrill Kill at home? ;D

You mean something like Sony's Cool Boarders franchise? ;)

You mean Belladonna? ;) My favourite character was Dr. Faustus ;D

Nah, it's over. After today Sony will announce that the PS5 got canceled. It's over. Sony's going 3rd party.

will we finally get the Sony Games on Gamepass then ? :D

That's what Jim Ryan has been saying. I'm very curious to see if they will be able to accomplish this or not.

i think there is no doubt they will - they are gearing up their arsenal for years now. I'm more excited for the PS5 Reveal than any other console reveal in the past thb.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I've said it since day one - don't hedge your bets on any third-party exclusive staying exclusive forever. It might - it might very well not either. And ironically ever since I said it, it's become true even for bonafide first-party games, where we see some games go to PC for strategic/other reasons.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've been always trying to get as much WWS and First Party PS games this gen

even went and got games that I already own on PS3 that got re released like the Uncharted Collection

but yet apparently asking Sony to invest on more things that is nourishing/widening their offerings for me to buy is spreading Doom and Gloom talk and apparently is also a threat to Sony producing said games I love and already buy like Horizon, God of War, SpiderMan, etc... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got to be content with that alone and is "platform" warring to say else wise even if said argument is still sound if Sony ever ditched consoles and went full streaming/service war on us.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I love the JRPG fans in this thread who haven't spoken a word about Trails of Cold Steel 3 since it released are now dying to play older games that have been on PlayStation for years on a different platform.

This thread used to be a lot better than this.
Lol I just beat it a couple days ago. Amazing game. I've given up hope for a AAA MP focused game from Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.