• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
I was a bit sceptical about Sony after Shawn's departure, but I'm super confident right now.
Jim Ryan is doing pretty well for now, making good choices like Cross Play, buying new studios and make even more First Party games.
And now, they strengthened the relationship with Indie developers with the new Shuei's role.
Let's see how Hermen will manage his new, important role.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Hermen is the perfect choice

They allow him and his studio to develop a brand new IP which becomes successful both commercially and critically
Now Hermen will do the same, he will greenlight some great projects

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm happy for both, Yoshida had a long and succesful run, while Hulst might be one of the most respected voices within SIE studios. I wanted a change for Shu, new blood for such an important position after a decade in the same job; this new role fits him perfectly.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If Hermen manage to pull a new first-party JRPG again even for one game, I consider it a massive improvement from Shawn.

Let's see how it is in the PS5 era...

Oct 30, 2017
PlayStation commitment to indies

"when they were fascinated and engaged with virtual reality, that's when we pivoted our engagement with them. So our work with the indie community has remained at the levels that it was during the early days of PS4."
So they confirmed that their work on non-VR-Indies for 95% of the PS-community dropped massively from previous levels

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Wow this really seems like such a rapid rise for the guy who only 2 games ago was producing a mediocre franchise. He really seems like he has strong connections with the rest of the Sony studios though. Hopefully with Hermen we can get more MP focus, never seemed like something that Shu was interested in tbh.

Maybe he actually wanted this demotion or maybe it was forced upon him, but Shu is dead to me now after this made up indie role.

Overall good job Jimbo.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, don't count on seeing major PS first party titles at launch on PS Now any time soon

"It's an area that is fast changing and fluid," notes Ryan. "The nature and scale of some of the first-party games that we are making leads us to think that, right now, it's better to spend energy on making sure that the launch of those games is a massive entertainment event. I would cite God of War and Spider-Man, and The Last of Us 2 next year will fall into that category.

"That's where we stand right now. But our stance on the inclusion of first-party games in PlayStation Now in terms of what we've done this month is very different to our stance 12 months ago. I don't want to say this is what PlayStation Now is going to be like forever. But certainly right now, given how some of our first party IP is incredibly special and valuable, we just want to treat them with amazing care and respect, and have those launches be clean and pure."

Not that it's really surprising. Especially with the interview talking about how they want to treat their first party games as events at launch. And if they execute that right then they're going to sell a ton. He pointed at Spider-Man as an example of the first time they've done a global co-ordinated marketing campaign.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Basically, don't count on seeing major PS first party titles at launch on PS Now any time soon

Not that it's really surprising. Especially with the interview talking about how they want to treat their first party games as events at launch. And if they execute that right then they're going to sell a ton. He pointed at Spider-Man as an example of the first time they've done a global co-ordinated marketing campaign.
Yeah not surprising !
But they could add them later (or at least upgrade Uncharted PS3 games to PS4 for god's sake)

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
About studios acquisitions

PlayStation already has a large number of studios, including the recently acquired Insomniac, but is it enough?
"We are always looking, but we are careful about who we look at and talk to. Buying studios right now is a very expensive undertaking. It is most definitely a seller's market. There is room for us to do more in that area, but we have to make sure that the company is right. The integration side of things... which is a boring business thing to talk about, but the world is littered with illustrations of that going catastrophically wrong post-acquisition.

"So we have to have confidence around that. It has to sit well with our portfolio. It's a very different world to the one when we acquired Guerrilla in 2005. You need to exercise a great deal of attention."

www.gamesindustry.biz

Sony's Jim Ryan: We had to make changes to deliver our PlayStation 5 dream

Jim Ryan wants to have a word.PlayStation's boss wanted to address some of the points that were raised in an article we…

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Given how Jim talked about how their marketing is changing, the campaign for Part II is going to be even more insane than we'd previously thought.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Really good moves by Sony...excited to see what the more globally focused approach mean for PS5.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If Kojima were interested in becoming a 1st party studio i don't think he would have went out of his way to push for a PC version. The good news for PS fans is that leaving Sony for another publisher would likely mean leaving behind the Decima engine and all the support he got from WWS, and honestly i'm not sure that an xbox port is worth doing that for.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Well deserved. If anyone could/should get that promotion it is him.

Shu himself heading a new indie scene is interesting as we know Mr. Yoshida is passionate about creative works.

and we knew back a few months/year that Sony said they were going to focus more on AAA games instead of indies

a complete reversal, that and Sony saying organic/natural expansion and not sitting on their laurels with PS5 showcases that they are going the other direction from were they were going before

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This article proves what i was saying just a few days ago.

Previous rumors were bullshit and it wasnt about US taking over, but the opposite with jim ryan wants US and EU branches to be equal. Probably means future investments will be focused in europe

Oct 1, 2019
Jim Ryan on acquisitions:
"We are always looking, but we are careful about who we look at and talk to. Buying studios right now is a very expensive undertaking. It is most definitely a seller's market. There is room for us to do more in that area, but we have to make sure that the company is right. The integration side of things... which is a boring business thing to talk about, but the world is littered with illustrations of that going catastrophically wrong post-acquisition.

"So we have to have confidence around that. It has to sit well with our portfolio. It's a very different world to the one when we acquired Guerrilla in 2005. You need to exercise a great deal of attention."
Looks like they are going to do acquisitions very, very carefully. I don't think we'll hear about an acquisition anytime soon.

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess in making SIE more global and streamlined Jim is bringing more things closer to home in Europe, as opposed to the leadership of the USA like it has seemed for a while now. I wonder if they will try to establish a few new European studios. I would like to see them start one up in Sweden or Poland. They should also bring back Psygnosis!

Yeah Gravity Rush 2/Remastered and Tearaway Unfolded felt like the final "Screw You!" to Vita owners. "Not only is the console dead, but we are also making sure the two best original IPs of the console crash and burn along with it". Guerrilla Cambridge, closing after DARING to support the Vita and PSVR with RIGS and the fantastic Killzone spin off, instead of pumping out a AAA for PS4, is just the cherry on top.

I mean, on the other hand you could argue that Sony gave those franchises another chance by bringing them to PS4, rather than being permanently anchored to a stillborn platform.

Imagine a gen with a new Ratchet, Spyro, Crash, Banjo(?) and MediEvil. Just imagine.

I was playing R&C2016 yesterday with my son, and it is an outrageously good looking game. Apparently they developed it in 10 months (which I honestly find hard to believe) and it's ridiculously good looking and polished.

A Resistance Trilogy in the vein of Metro Redux (Remastered visuals, unified improved controls, Quality of Life improvements, and overall making the games feel more like a unit) would sell blockbusters.

Yeah, I'd love this. I really want to play the games again, but setting up my PS3 and dealing with the clunky interface is a pain in the arse.

So even the studio is funded by Sony?

What the hell was House smoking when he made that deal with Kojima, lol
Why even call it independent when it's fully funded by a major publisher.

I'm not sure that is accurate, because we have comments from Kojima about visiting the bank to get funding to set up his studio. If Sony really has contributed to setting up his studio aside from providing direct development funding then I expect he is on board for a trilogy of games at the least.

Nice. I remember saying he would be a good head of WWS in either this OT or the last.

Yeah, me too. Dude is a great public speaker and seems very sharp. Seems like a great person for the role, and I hope he sets his mark by commissioning a lot of interesting projects so that we have plenty of first-party releases on the PS5!

I was a bit sceptical about Sony after Shawn's departure, but I'm super confident right now.
Jim Ryan is doing pretty well for now, making good choices like Cross Play, buying new studios and make even more First Party games.
And now, they strengthened the relationship with Indie developers with the new Shuei's role.
Let's see how Hermen will manage his new, important role.

I think Jim is a pretty poor public speaker but he's obviously good at his job or he wouldn't have been promoted to the head of one of Sony's most important divisions. They're obviously aware of leaders in the console space often losing momentum moving into the next generation and are putting things in place to counter that, so I think Playstation is in good hands.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
This article proves what i was saying just a few days ago.

Previous rumors were bullshit and it wasnt about US taking over, but the opposite with jim ryan wants US and EU branches to be equal. Probably means future investments will be focused in europe
Yes, not only most of PlayStation's senior executives are not American but Sony is heavily investing in Eastern Europe as well.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
If Kojima were interested in becoming a 1st party studio i don't think he would have went out of his way to push for a PC version. The good news for PS fans is that leaving Sony for another publisher would likely mean leaving behind the Decima engine and all the support he got from WWS, and honestly i'm not sure that an xbox port is worth doing that for.

Even if i agree with you, the deal was made before Kojima choose Guerrilla to work with him and he could see things differently after how Sony support him.

Oct 26, 2017
Jimbo cleaning house.

The guerrilla dude is at least more likeable than him, he will do a good job.

I just hope Yoshida won't disappear publicly.

PS5 launch is going to be different than PS4 launch for sure.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Was Jim referring to developing a new studio in Europe? He they've been working there for a number of years already.

they certainly seem to be reacting more slowly with the acquisition stuff, Jim really wants the best of the best it seems. Bluepoint though, has to be in the sights.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly glad to see Layden gone now

All these changes - Cross play, PSNow changes, acquiring Insomniac, being talkative and open and now a renewed focus on indies pretty much happened all at once and are definitely the sign of a new boss coming in and making swift changes (and they are all for the better)

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Was Jim referring to developing a new studio in Europe? He they've been working there for a number of years already.

they certainly seem to be reacting more slowly with the acquisition stuff, Jim really wants the best of the best it seems. Bluepoint though, has to be in the sights.
Sounds like for now it's just marketing, but yeah it shouldn't come as a shock if at some point we see a Sony dev in that region.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Hulst's new banner

1500x500ufkmw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.