• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
One of them is AAA.
If you enjoy thoese types of games on a big budget they are few and far between .

This is a bad premise.

If you enjoy AAA games this gen, you weren't getting them of the same scale any gen prior. Games the size of Witcher 3 and RDR2 on console are a recent thing, and I can't recall a single open-world game from Sony as massive as Horizon Zero Dawn.

Non-AAA games like Control or Hellblade aren't these small games; they're around the size of many single-player games you got last gen, and if you want a bunch of RDR2s, you have to accept that, 1) games this size are a new thing, and 2) you need many massive worldwide teams in order to pump out games that size.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those are all YOUR reasons. Nobody else fucking cares about YOUR reasons. Its fine if you said them once, twice, hell even three or four times. But I have heard your fucking RPG whining near constantly in this thread. If everyone did what you did this place would he incomprehensible but most have the sense to not shout their specific preferences into a FAN forum endlessly. Again, a few times is fine but fuck me your goddamn icon is associated with the RPG whining. Make your OWN thread for the discussion, don't derail discussions of other games or studio aquisitions to you fantacising about how your dream will come true. Its obnoxious, self-centered, and most importantly not interesting discussion that others can participate in.

About time somebody said it.

and fuck jrpgs hahahaha

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I was judging from a gameplay perspective, and I definitely think Control has Quantum Break beat there, easily and without question. In terms of story, I can agree with you there but then again, I'm someone who loves time travel and branching timelines so QB appeals to me more in that sense than Control's story of governmental cover-ups and tampering with forces they don't understand.
Oh, the gameplay of Quantum Break wasn't great, but I don't really care. I don't play video games for their gameplay. About the story, I'm like you: I really like SF and I think it's probable the best time travel story that I know.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, the gameplay of Quantum Break wasn't great, but I don't really care. I don't play video games for their gameplay. About the story, I'm like you: I really like SF and I think it's probable the best time travel story that I know.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...why don't you just read a book then? Gameplay is like the filling of an apple pie...it's the best part

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I cant, your like a cancer. This thread grows around your comments, to ignore them is to subject myself to an unreadable thread. At least in its current state I can get a good laugh when I see people talk about you.

You do realize you're the only person engaging with me right now, right? For fuck's sake, man. Just block me, you'll be much happier.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad premise.

If you enjoy AAA games this gen, you weren't getting them of the same scale any gen prior. Games the size of Witcher 3 and RDR2 on console are a recent thing, and I can't recall a single open-world game from Sony as massive as Horizon Zero Dawn.

Non-AAA games like Control or Hellblade aren't these small games; they're around the size of many single-player games you got last gen, and if you want a bunch of RDR2s, you have to accept that, 1) games this size are a new thing, and 2) you need many massive worldwide teams in order to pump out games that size.

I accept that .
Which why i also say Sony having more devs\teams is better even if they making the same things as them or stuff they don't make.
I mean i don't expect Sony\ other companies to have the same out put as last gen since games getting bigger and they taking more time to make.

EDIT which is why it's great that Sony growing there teams size this gen.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I get what your saying, but 3rd party publishers are very rapidly moving away from games like control, meaning if Sony doesnt make them then we dont get them.

We consume games like control in 2 weeks, it takes sony 3-6 years to make these games, we really dont get them very often even if narrative focused games make up a good chunk of their output.

Sony acquiring remedy or RAD would be great.

I mean yeah I get that but Remedy kinda fucked up. Control isn't an example I would use. It failed commercially as far as we know and was arguably overpriced. Ratchet and Clank 2016 was better and cheaper than Control, same for Hellblade. In fact using Remedy in this context supports Microsoft's idea of using Subscriptions and Multiplayer showcases to subsidize the cost of a game like Control, assuming it isn't as successful as it deserves.
Also it's an example of why 3rd parties aren't making this type game. Any game even GAAS like Breakpoint can fail expectations, but ask yourself are 505 /Remedy okay after Control without Sony marketing and the Epic deal covering some costs? Remedy's track record needs to improve or they won't fit at WWS imo kinda like Bungie wouldn't either because I feel like Sony isn't into handholding. RAD...The Order's problems are fixable and the technical prowess is there as well.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As long as next gen WWS output is 90% third person cinematic goodness, I'll be happy. The other 10% can be whatever and I won't even roll my eyes once. Gotta give the thirsty individuals a little something something to keep them around, But don't get greedy lol

I can't wait for PS5 gaming. This current generation has almost damn near been what I always wanted to play back when I was getting bored playing NES & Sega Genesis. AHHHHH IM HYPED!!

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Thats why i want Sony to work with them, 1st party games don't necessarily have to aim for maximum profit. Thats why i like first party games.

Fund games that a third party publisher wont.

See I'd be okay with like a test the waters type deal, but I wouldn't just buy a studio because they develop to my strengths. When they've got a bunch of baggage.
I also wouldn't buy Bluepoint. They've yet to make an original title, unless they solely exist to reimagine existing properties.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as next gen WWS output is 90% third person cinematic goodness, I'll be happy. The other 10% can be whatever and I won't even roll my eyes once. Gotta give the thirsty individuals a little something something to keep them around, But don't get greedy lol
Right now it's maybe 60/40. People act like 90% of Sony's WWS are making cinematic 3rd person action adventures and it's not true at all :D It's the same guys who know nothing at all and alway repeat the "uhhh only the PlayStation division is making money for Sony." nonsense. Always good for a nice laugh ;D

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Agreed, grindy trash. Modern JRPGs are anime tropes and have shit combat.

But a golden age JRPG? ala FF7? Im down.
I know he got banned but that's hilarious to complain about anime tropes in modern JRPGs and praise FF7 in the same post.
Combat also evolved a ton in the genre since FF7, seems like you really don't know anything about the genre yet act like it was better before (some games were better, but not the genre as a whole).

edit:

I can't wait for PS5 gaming. This current generation has almost damn near been what I always wanted to play back when I was getting bored playing NES & Sega Genesis. AHHHHH IM HYPED!!
You were thinking about "third person cinematic" games while you were playing NES? Impressive.
The first part of your post is pretty ridiculous about how others shouldn't "get greedy" as long as you get "90%" of the production being catered to your tastes only lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know he got banned but that's hilarious to complain about anime tropes in modern JRPGs and praise FF7 in the same post.
Combat also evolved a ton in the genre since FF7, seems like you really don't know anything about the genre yet act like it was better before (some games were better, but not the genre as a whole).

Yup. It's true that a lot of modern JRPGs are really bad, but a lot of games in EVERY genre are bad, so acting like the JRPG genre specifically is uniform trash is kind of silly.

I don't think Sony first party would put out something as bad as Star Ocean 4, for example.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SNES & PSOne JRPGs = Best JRPGs 🤷‍♂️

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
SNES & PSOne JRPGs = Best JRPGs 🤷‍♂️
It's not because Chrono Trigger is still the best in the genre that the genre hasn't evolved a ton (in a good way for many things) since.
Reminds me of the people that complained there's not many good JRPGs this gen and didn't play on handheld at all...

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I can be a fan of and play a ton of genres

Sport games are my only weakness

what excites me is that we might potentially not get one but two platformers from WWS in the coming years

Ape Escape and Ratchet and Clank

also AstroBot sequel

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You were thinking about "third person cinematic" games while you were playing NES? Impressive.

Don't know about him but when i was growing up playing games i always thought how they would look better \ play a certain way since i compare them to TV\ movies.
For eg i am one of those people that happy that JRPG getting more and more action base \real time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about him but when i was growing up playing games i always thought how they would look better \ play a certain way since i compare them to TV\ movies.
For eg i am one of those people that happy that JRPG getting more and more action base \real time.

I think there's a place for action RPGs, but my god am I getting tired of games with a solo playable character and "AI buddies". I like controlling my entire party and determining what they do, y'know?

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony knows that they're absent and lacking in a number of important spaces. I'm certain that we'll see not only multiplayer games next generation, but rpg's as well.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a place for action RPGs, but my god am I getting tired of games with a solo playable character and "AI buddies". I like controlling my entire party and determining what they do, y'know?
The market seems to be moving away from that though. Maybe it'll experience a resurgence, but who knows. What's your opinion on the FFVII remake? In terms of gameplay, it looks like a tremendous departure from the PS1 game and bears more of a resemblance to FFXV with the real time combat and seamless switching between characters. I haven't played either title (FFXV or FFVII), so my observations may be well off the mark.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
You think MS or Nintendo would lol.
Tell me when was the last time MS or Nintendo fund a shump up \twin stick shooter .
They move away and on to new stuff because there old games don't sell .

Sony is pushing AAA/is going to.

They have much higher chances to do their games anywhere but at Sony. You all cry about Concrete Genie marketing but they totally ignored Matterfall, its like that game never existed (and its really great).

They wont make games in which they shine.
They want new experience.

How do you know that? As far as I know, they were forced after low sales of their last games including Nex Machina. I think they even said that they love that genre and would love to stick with it.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The market seems to be moving away from that though. Maybe it'll experience a resurgence, but who knows. What's your opinion on the FFVII remake? In terms of gameplay, it looks like a tremendous departure from the PS1 game and bears more of a resemblance to FFXV with the real time combat and seamless switching between characters. I haven't played either title (FFXV or FFVII), so my observations may be well off the mark.

FFVIIR system has more in common with KH than FFXV .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

My main issue with the VII remake is that they're trying to charge us sixty dollars four times with it. I do not want a game that's just the first four hours of FFVII stretched out into a "full game".

The combat looks...alright, but ALL of the bosses seem like they take way too many hits to kill and it just looks boring to me. "Stagger gauge" mechanics are always more exciting on paper than in practice.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is pushing AAA/is going to.

They have much higher chances to do their games anywhere but at Sony. You all cry about Concrete Genie marketing but they totally ignored Matterfall.

If they have a higher chance why are MS and Nintendo not funding shump ups \twin stick shooters.
The indies have taken over those types of games and big pubs don't fund them any more Sony was the only one left that did .
Housemarque even said there self that those types of games can't keep the doors open any more.
Which is why the are making something new and Sony is still making all sort of games even with them pushing AAA.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFVIIR system has more in common with KH than FFXV .
Oh ok, cool didn't know that. What specifically makes FFVIIR closer to KH than FFXV?

My main issue with the VII remake is that they're trying to charge us sixty dollars four times with it. I do not want a game that's just the first four hours of FFVII stretched out into a "full game".

The combat looks...alright, but ALL of the bosses seem like they take way too many hits to kill and it just looks boring to me. "Stagger gauge" mechanics are always more exciting on paper than in practice.
It does seem like the world is being greatly expanded though. Time will tell if it's really as expansive and extensive as SE is making it out to be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like the world is being greatly expanded though. Time will tell if it's really as expansive and extensive as SE is making it out to be.

The big issue for me is that I don't really...need expansion? Or want it? I would rather the remake be brisk and complete, rather than them spending a decade or more retelling a story I'm already intimately familiar with by shoving it full of content the story didn't need.

Like I don't need a dozen hours of character development for Jessie, y'know?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok, cool didn't know that. What specifically makes FFVIIR closer to KH than FFXV?

It more command heavy .
Still having the bar to fill up to do certain things make it a good mix of old and new .
You can also control and switch to the other characters .
Truth is the more we see of the battle system the more it's own thing .

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big issue for me is that I don't really...need expansion? Or want it? I would rather the remake be brisk and complete, rather than them spending a decade or more retelling a story I'm already intimately familiar with by shoving it full of content the story didn't need.

Like I don't need a dozen hours of character development for Jessie, y'know?
Maybe they're taking the time to incorporate things they intended to put in 2 decades ago to give players their original vision of the game. Idk. I feel like you should be happy with this though. They can't make a game that's tailored solely to your tastes, and you're living in an era among gamers whose tastes are different than the in PS1 era. You gotta take what you can get sometimes, until you can make what you want. And if you can't make what you want then, y'know, beggars can't really be choosers. I mean you could choose to not play it. You want a AAA, big budget rpg, that reminds you of a bygone time, and SE is presently the only one doing it.
It more command heavy .
Still having the bar to fill up to do certain things make it a good mix of old and new .
You can also control and switch to the other characters .
Truth is the more we see of the battle system the more it's own thing .
That's cool, it sounds like a nice mix of old and new school styles of rpg combat rolled into one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're taking the time to incorporate things they intended to put in 2 decades ago to give players their original vision of the game. Idk. I feel like you should be happy with this though. They can't make a game that's tailored solely to your tastes, and you're living in an era among gamers whose tastes are different than the in PS1 era. You gotta take what you can get sometimes, until you can make what you want. And if you can't make what you want then, y'know, beggars can't really be choosers. I mean you could choose to not play it. You want a AAA, big budget rpg, that reminds you of a bygone time, and SE is presently the only one doing it.

I still don't want to pay them $240 for one story, especially not a story I've already experienced. That's the thing - I don't care that much about FFVII. It was alright, but it's not my favorite Final Fantasy game by any stretch of the imagination. Splitting it up into four parts and charging full price for all of them over a full decade just isn't that exciting to me.

I'd much rather they just move on to XVI.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't want to pay them $240 for one story, especially not a story I've already experienced. That's the thing - I don't care that much about FFVII. It was alright, but it's not my favorite Final Fantasy game by any stretch of the imagination. Splitting it up into four parts and charging full price for all of them over a full decade just isn't that exciting to me.

I'd much rather they just move on to XVI.
Yea, I'm not going to argue with that. I feel like SE is exploiting the love and nostalgia that many gamers feel towards FFVII. I've never played it myself, so I'm looking forward to it but I'll wait until a complete edition is released. I wouldn't mind the format so much if SE hadn't proved that they are pretty terrible at deadlines and release schedules already.

I think it is time for them to move on and make a new FF. This gen has only seen the release of one original FF, so if you're a fan of theirs and didn't enjoy FFXV and have no desire to revisit FFVII, this gen would be a disappointment.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I'm not going to argue with that. I feel like SE is exploiting the love and nostalgia that many gamers feel towards FFVII. I've never played it myself, so I'm looking forward to it but I'll wait until a complete edition is released. I wouldn't mind the format so much if SE hadn't proved that they are pretty terrible at deadlines and release schedules already.

I think it is time for them to move on and make a new FF. This gen has only seen the release of one original FF, so if you're a fan of theirs and didn't enjoy FFXV and have no desire to revisit FFVII, this gen would be a disappointment.

Honestly FFVII seems like it will be their FFXIII Fabula Novalalo Crystalis for the PS4–PS5 generation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

My hope is that they can get XVI out with the main team while the FFVIIR team flails around trying to figure out how to remake the rest of the FFVII world after the easy part is over with Midgar.

If they seriously expect us to wait until they finish all four episodes of the remake before we get a hint of XVI, I'm going to be livid.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I feel like XIII nailed it to be honest, the fact that you regened health etc after every fight, and fights were graded on things like time, gave it a great puzzle—arcade rythym in which the stagger system played a key role. I always liked the blending of systems and influences in XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.