• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Just so you know how much Guerrilla Games helped Kojima out (which explains how Kojima could release this game so fast):

More than 70 Guerrilla developers worked on Death Stranding
Death Stranding uses Guerrilla's Decima game engine – the same tech behind PS4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn – and it was known some support from the Killzone creator would be required during development.
When the engine collaboration was announced in 2016, Kojima Productions said it had established a satellite team at Guerilla's Amsterdam HQ to offer 'technical support' to the game's Japanese development team.
However, the final version of Death Stranding reveals the Horizon studio's development input was much broader than previously thought.
According to the game's credits, Guerrilla contributed to Death Stranding's environment art, animation, visual effects, cinematics, audio and more.
More than 40 Guerrilla engineers worked on the game, including Horzion Zero Dawn's lead game programmer (Tommy De Roos), lead programmer (Frank Compagner), lead AI programmer (Arjen Beij) and technical director (Michiel van der Leeuw).
Horizon's art director (Jan-Bart Van Beek), lead environment artist (Kim Van Heest), technical art director (Maarten van der Gaag), lead lighting artist (Roderick van der Steen) and lead technical animator (Bart Wijsman) also worked on Death Stranding.
Horizon Zero Dawn's senior quest designer, James Kneuper is even credited for "guest design" on the Kojima title.

None of the Guerrilla developers credited above mention Death Stranding in their LinkedIn profiles.
Around 300 people worked on Horizon Zero Dawn at Guerrilla, while Kojima Productions is understood to employ just over 100 people.

Source
Bizarre.

All these 1st-Party resources and still isn't exclusive.

They should've funneled this much help into Days Gone, at least it wouldn't have been so buggy at launch.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if other third parties will have more confidence when Sony comes to them for an exclusive game development by trying to get said Sony IP to release also on PC for more sales

pointing out the favoritism they showed for Kojima

of course that is an extreme what if

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if other third parties will have more confidence when Sony comes to them for an exclusive game development by trying to get said Sony IP to release also on PC for more sales.
pointing out the favoritism they showed for Kojima.
of course that is an extreme what if.
No, because they know they aren't Kojima.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Quite easy. It's like you can almost say all games are PC games during development. It's not difficult at all to port PS4 games to PC.

All games are developed on PCs, yeah, but that doesn't mean they are already optimized to run on them.

If it would be that easy, people wouldn't complain about awful PC Ports, yet there are a lot of complaints.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Bizarre.

All these 1st-Party resources and still isn't exclusive.

They should've funneled this much help into Days Gone, at least it wouldn't have been so buggy at launch.

Seriously. I still don't get how Days Gone launched so buggy even with its delays. I know Kojima is a legendary developer and its like rolling out the red carpet for Miyamoto but still, it's not like Bend is a big team either.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
It all depends on success. If Guerrilla Games is developing a multiplayer-only game and it's just selling "okay", they will release it later on PC (maybe). Just like they did with Helldivers, etc.

Personally i don't see Guerrilla developing a multiplayer-only game, Guerrilla never did a game without a solo campaign and it would not really make sense to have promoted the lead writer of Horizon in their second Narrative Director to work on a multiplayer game even if a game like Fortnite has a Narrative Director.

Making a multiplayer-only game is also really hard these days more than ever, there is lot of competition in this market with established IP. For me it would be more safer to make a game with a big solo and a multiplayer component because you can attract potentially more players.

does anyone think that all of this collaboration with GG and KP and DS being on PC means that perhaps the next multiplayer focused GG game may also be on PC with cross play? I remember people have indicated that someone who directed Rainbow Six might be directing his own project within GG. If there is indeed a MP focused 2nd game being developed by GG, might explain why they were ok with DS also being on PC, as KP helping in getting their engine optimized for PC would definitely help if they truly plan on having some of their future MP focused games also being on PC.

I don't think that was really the plan, Guerrilla wanted just to work with Kojima because it was a good opportunity for them and their engine was already compatible with the Pc like the studio said in the past.

I wonder if other third parties will have more confidence when Sony comes to them for an exclusive game development by trying to get said Sony IP to release also on PC for more sales

pointing out the favoritism they showed for Kojima

of course that is an extreme what if

There is not lot of peoples with the pedigree of Kojima so i think it's hard to see that happens. Sony seems to have did everything they can to have Kojima.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All games are developed on PCs, yeah, but that doesn't mean they are already optimized to run on them.

If it would be that easy, people wouldn't complain about awful PC Ports, yet there are a lot of complaints.
It needs optimisation. But that's about it. It's not hard. Awful ports happen, because quite often, they are focusing on the console version and the PC version is..... just a second option ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 26, 2017
oh is it is easy? I honestly have no idea I just assumed it would require a bit of work still

It's easy because PS4 uses the same architectures you have in every PC nowadays and even porting from PC to PS4 is "easy".
Doing the same thing during PS3 days was a mess.

All EA games are made on PC first and then ported to consoles for example.

Bad PC versions happen when publishers don't give a single crap about the platform and they want quick and fast ports as soon as possible to meet deadlines.
It's been a lot of years since the last truly bad port, aka Batman Arkham Knight.

Even JP developers are learning.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously. I still don't get how Days Gone launched so buggy even with its delays. I know Kojima is a legendary developer and its like rolling out the red carpet for Miyamoto but still, it's not like Bend is a big team either.

It was BENDs first console game in years and their team is very small compares to your usual AAA team

Yet they managed to create an AAA open world game with top of the industry visuals

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally i don't see Guerrilla developing a multiplayer-only game, Guerrilla never did a game without a solo campaign and it would not really make sense to have promoted the lead writer of Horizon in their second Narrative Director to work on a multiplayer game even if a game like Fortnite has a Narrative Director.

Making a multiplayer-only game is also really hard these days more than ever, there is lot of competition in this market with established IP. For me it would be more safer to make a game with a big solo and a multiplayer component because you can attract potentially more players.
Games are getting bigger and bigger. And way more expensive. Creating a game with a huge singleplayer AND multiplayer mode isn't easy these days. Or even possible for every dev studio. I mean, even Naughty Dog decided that their next game (TLOU2) will be a singleplayery game. And it looks like Arrowhead is working on a 3rd person co-op shooter for Sony (so multiplayer-only, too). I don't believe that Guerrilla Games is working on a multiplayer-only game. But it looks like they are working on two projects right now. And I guess one will be for the PS5 launch (or during PS5's first year). Horizon Zero Dawn is a huge open-world action RPG. I doubt they are rushing this. It needs a lot of time to create such a game. So it is actually possible that they are working on a multiplayer-only game for the PS5 launch. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's possible.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Some people underestimate the difficulty of passing from Portable Consoles Game development to HD Home Console development. 😐🤨

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If 70+ people at Guerrilla did in fact work on DS, including some important figures... Then damn they should have gotten a co developer credit. By the way...is Guerrilla now the fairy godmother of SIE studios? Remedy sort of implied the Guerrilla helped them out in some sort of way with Control in their thank you card.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
It was BENDs first console game in years and their team is very small compares to your usual AAA team

Yet they managed to create an AAA open world game with top of the industry visuals

Some people underestimate the difficulty of passing from Portable Consoles Game development to HD Home Console development. 😐🤨

I'm not disputing that or saying it's Bend's fault. Seeing Kojima get 70 odd developers from Guerilla to help with Death Stranding while Days Gone was in development by a small team in Bend between what, 2013-2019? It just seems unfair to me especially when it didn't launch with the highest level of quality despite delays. This also kind of explains how Death Stranding came out by now, as the user above mentions.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the way...is Guerrilla now the fairy godmother of SIE studios? Remedy sort of implied the Guerrilla helped them out in some sort of way with Control in their thank you card.
In europe, they are ;)
I'm not disputing that or saying it's Bend's fault. Seeing Kojima get 70 odd developers from Guerilla to help with Death Stranding while Days Gone was in development by a small team in Bend between what, 2013-2019? It just seems unfair to me especially when it didn't launch with the highest level of quality despite delays. This also kind of explains how Death Stranding came out by now, as the user above mentions.
Well you think Bend Studio wanted "help" from another studio ;) Bend started the Days Gone project with ~45 people. They were always fans of being a smaller studio, with people that know each other etc. They want to do their own thing (with the help of oursourcing, of course). Kojima needed help for his Death Stranding vision. And it made sense, because it was a brandnew studio, Guerrilla's engine and only a few years of development time. Totally different stories.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well, for one Death Stranding was using Guerrila's Decima Engine

Days Gone uses Unreal Engine 4

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
-Release on PC
-Tour of all SIE and be able to handpick an engine
-Almost doubled the amount of hands working on the game thanks to Guerrilla
-Insane marketing push involving a large amount of Hollywood talent
-Not requiring to credit Guerrilla as co developer

*Have we, EVER, in this industry, seen this much of an effort by a publisher to court a single developer?

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
about guessing TLOU Part 2's date.

its not really hard to guess.

sony usually releases their games on friday, we already heard by then that the game is targeting february, which means he only had 1/4 chance of being right.

so i am not taking that as "track record".

And about the december 3rd thing, Sony already has an event on that date scheduled, PlayStation Awards, their annual asia region sales event, they wont have anything else alongside it.

LOL
Leave it to some to try and downplay something even tho they got something right. "its not really hard to guess" Lol Ok let us know when the ps5 will be out, let us know when the reveal event will be, since its "its not really hard to guess" lol smh

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Games are getting bigger and bigger. And way more expensive. Creating a game with a huge singleplayer AND multiplayer mode isn't easy these days. Or even possible for every dev studio. I mean, even Naughty Dog decided that their next game (TLOU2) will be a singleplayery game. And it looks like Arrowhead is working on a 3rd person co-op shooter for Sony (so multiplayer-only, too). I don't believe that Guerrilla Games is working on a multiplayer-only game. But it looks like they are working on two projects right now. And I guess one will be for the PS5 launch (or during PS5's first year). Horizon Zero Dawn is a huge open-world action RPG. I doubt they are rushing this. It needs a lot of time to create such a game. So it is actually possible that they are working on a multiplayer-only game for the PS5 launch. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's possible.

Simon Larouche only came back at Guerrilla at the end of 2018 i believe, so would it be possible to have a multiplayer-only game ready for the PS5 launch ?

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
KojiPro at this point must be tied to the hip to Guerrilla (and by extension, SIE). Not even Insomniac had that much of a commitment to SIE before they joined Playstation.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Simon Larouche only came back at Guerrilla at the end of 2018 i believe, so would it be possible to have a multiplayer-only game ready for the PS5 launch ?
If they already worked on it before he came? Maybe. Doesn't have to be at launch. Q1 2021 would do it, too. So ~3 years dev team would be enough. But like I said, I wouldn't bet on a mp-only game. But it's possible.
KojiPro at this point must be tied to the hip to Guerrilla (and by extension, SIE). Not even Insomniac had that much of a commitment to SIE before they joined Playstation.
Insomniac had a working studio, owns tools and engines. Kojima didn't. Sony helping him out to form a studio and release the game for PS4 (before PS5) on time just made sense.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
-Release on PC

*Have we, EVER, in this industry, seen this much of an effort by a publisher to court a single developer?
It's lame, to be frank.

The end result was divisive, and I'm not even sure where the franchise can go from here.

Lowkey hoping Kojima partners up with some other major publisher so that Sony won't blow more WWS resources on his studio.

Oct 25, 2017
It's lame, to be frank.

The end result was divisive, and I'm not even sure where the franchise can go from here.

Lowkey hoping Kojima partners up with some other major publisher so that Sony won't blow more WWS resources on his studio.

It isn't, not really. The vast majority of reviews are extremely positive and it's still the highest reviewed game for Sony this year.

Era folks be tripping in their own bubble. Don't let it infect you. The review thread is some garbage ass shit.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It isn't, not really. The vast majority of reviews are extremely positive and it's still the highest reviewed game for Sony this year.

Era folks be tripping in their own bubble. Don't let it infect you. The review thread is some garbage ass shit.
You're right, 84 on MC and 86 on OC; those are good scores.

I think I just hate Kojima and Sony's worship of this guy.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
will be interesting to see the legs and mainstream success of DS - it will do well no no question, but how will it fair against the big Sony Blockbusters

Oct 25, 2017
It's lame, to be frank.

game is sitting in the mid 80's on Meta and OC. Lets see how it sells before we say Sony "blew" money on this.

Also alot of assumptions in this post. They just helped fund a game and gave him an engine to work with. That's it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
game is sitting in the mid 80's on Meta and OC. Lets see how it sells before we say Sony "blew" money on this.

Also alot of assumptions in this post. They just helped fund a game and gave him an engine to work with. That's it.
Much more than that actually:
"More than 70 Guerrilla developers worked on Death Stranding.
Death Stranding uses Guerrilla's Decima game engine. When the engine collaboration was announced in 2016, Kojima Productions said it had established a satellite team at Guerilla's Amsterdam HQ to offer 'technical support' to the game's Japanese development team. "

Oct 25, 2017
Much more than that actually:
"More than 70 Guerrilla developers worked on Death Stranding.
Death Stranding uses Guerrilla's Decima game engine. When the engine collaboration was announced in 2016, Kojima Productions said it had established a satellite team at Guerilla's Amsterdam HQ to offer 'technical support' to the game's Japanese development team. "

Of course. Both teams already stated they helped push forward the engine. Of course Sony and GG gave him support. Sony also supports their WW studios. Some of you are acting like this took away from something else lol

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
It's lame, to be frank.

Yeah no way in hell. Phil could bust into KojiPro, Kool aid man style, with a truckload of money and Keanu Reeves in a mo-cap suit driving shotgun. It still would not make sense for Kojima to go with anyone else in the industry after how he has been treated at Playstation.

Oct 1, 2019
I'm sure he won't forget that.
We'll see...

-Release on PC

Sony was courting a lot of studios lately, Remedy and Housemarque comes to mind, but I agree, the way Sony treated Kojima is on a whole new level, borderline insanity sometimes.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
LOL
Leave it to some to try and downplay something even tho they got something right. "its not really hard to guess" Lol Ok let us know when the ps5 will be out, let us know when the reveal event will be, since its "its not really hard to guess" lol smh
The reason why I am pointing that out is because that user was mentioned before and iirc it was found out that account has already a bunch of mistakes.

And I think I can guess pretty decently the dates of those 2 things :p (just for fun I'll guess February... 11th for the PSMeeting and November 13th NA release of PS5 release, might be same day launch this time)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course. Both teams already stated they helped push forward the engine. Of course Sony and GG gave him support. Sony also supports their WW studios. Some of you are acting like this took away from something else lol
Yeah, but it wasn't just "funding and the engine". Sony really gave him A LOT. Which makes sense, because he didn't even have a studio when they made a deal with him.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
We don't really
Yeah, but it wasn't just "funding and the engine". Sony really gave him A LOT. Which makes sense, because he didn't even have a studio when they made a deal with him.
We don't really know what Sony gave Kojima, maybe gave the engine and tech support but here's a bigger cut from game sales, or maybe they value the impact that Kojima has on PlayStation as a brand. We just don't know. So it would be wise not to jump to conclusions. I am sure the game will have a positive impact on Sony, and there are examples, like The Order, that will probably end being a worse business move.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
It's lame, to be frank.

Some of the greatest movies, music and art has been divisive. Particularly at launch. So much in the games industry is safe and tedious. Thank goodness AAA budgets are being spent on risky projects.

Not that a Kojima game is particularly risky. It will be a huge commercial hit and many outlets GOTY. 12 months from now I expect we'll still be talking about Death Stranding. Possibly in 5 years and 10 years time too.

Kojima's next title is likely already in pre-production. Hopefully KojiPro now become a permanent partner with WWS.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't really We don't really know what Sony gave Kojima, maybe gave the engine and tech support but here's a bigger cut from game sales, or maybe they value the impact that Kojima has on PlayStation as a brand. We just don't know. So it would be wise not to jump to conclusions. I am sure the game will have a positive impact on Sony, and there are examples, like The Order, that will probably end being a worse business move.
It's not jumping to conclusions to say they gave him way more support than usual. As can be see in my post above. They went all out to get this game ready and out on time for the PS4. Which makes sense. Kojima isn't a no-name dev.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
This may be a little ridiculous, but I'm starting get a little anxious to see what Sony's next studio will be. I believed there was a possibility of them buying Insomniac, but I didn't believe it would happen, so it seems that everything is possible now.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's lame, to be frank.

Slow down...if game sells millions this talk is meaningless in a way. You want critical acclaim, you want sales first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.