• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Remember I beat you in smash brothers
And aye ppl surprisingly agreeing
giphy.gif

BRB suing you for slander.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation has done an incredible job in creating new IP creation this generation. According to Digital Foundry, Death Stranding is arguably the best tech they've seen this generation.

For those wondering what Guerilla might be up to with Horzon Zero Dawn 2, try watching this Decima engine breakdown without feeling the hype flow through you!

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding average is 86 only 2 points behind Spider-Man. The reaction to the reviews makes no sense.
I was genuinely surprised that the average score was so high. After reading comments in this forum and listening how the GB East felt I assumed the score was in the low to mid 70's. And just to be clear. This is not a jab for GB, since their criticism felt reasonable.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I feel if Days Gone was reviewed now after all these titles that came out it would fair better

people were on that high AAA Sony Kool Aide that made them judge Days Gone extremely harshly
I don't know how polished was DG at launch, but i am currently playing it and it is an awesome game, in fact i prefer it to Horizon and BoTW. It does some really amazing things and if you put it in context of a relative small studio it even seems more impressive. It has also lots of room for improvement, feels as some said before, Uncharted first game.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ah, Medievil is so good. I love it.

I'm still in day one for Death Stranding. I commented in the review thread I'm not that happy it's between 30-50 hours (more because of my work schedule) but I completed RDR2, I can complete this.I'm kinda in the mood for a slow paced game, though DS apparently gets crazy half way through.

Oct 26, 2017
Days gone was unfairly reviewed

I think Days Gone biggest problem is the open world and how it's like pretty much every other open world game released this gen without something to stand out and it was buggy at launch.

If you look at games like RAGE/Mad Max/Just Cause 3/Just Cause 4/Mafia 3 they all share the same issue: shallow open world with repetitive busy work and they can't stand out with the likes of RDR2, TW3 etc..

I think going forward, open world games doing the bare minimum to feel different will always score in the 60-70s, no matter how story and storytelling are good, Mafia III story and storytelling is so good, but the open world is a slog.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play it.

Playstation has done an incredible job in creating new IP creation this generation. According to Digital Foundry, Death Stranding is arguably the best tech they've seen this generation.

For those wondering what Guerilla might be up to with Horzon Zero Dawn 2, try watching this Decima engine breakdown without feeling the hype flow through you!

Looks so good!
First the improvements brought for The Frozen Wilds and now these too, can't wait to see all these advances funneled back to HZD2 combined with the power boost of the PS5.

Last edited:

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I was genuinely surprised that the average score was so high. After reading comments in this forum and listening how the GB East felt I assumed the score was in the low to mid 70's. And just to be clear. This is not a jab for GB, since their criticism felt reasonable.

Because people expect more from Kojima and fanboy drivel. Also the reviews are quite heavily split as well from what I'm seeing with key buzzwords like walking simulator which really riles people up.

What turns me off is the games length though. I may pass up on the launch and wait because 50 hours of a story heavy game with "minimal combat" isn't something I particularly want right now. Kojima or not. I was hoping for more of a 180 typical Kojima marketing but the praises its getting is still worth checking it out for sure.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I think Days Gone biggest problem is the open world and how it's like pretty much every other open world game released this gen without something to stand out and it was buggy at launch.

If you look at games like RAGE/Mad Max/Just Cause 3/Just Cause 4/Mafia 3 they all share the same issue: shallow open world with repetitive busy work and they can't stand out with the likes of RDR2, TW3 etc..

I think going forward, open world games doing the bare minimum to feel different will always score in the 60-70s, no matter how story and storytelling are good, Mafia III story and storytelling is so good, but the open world is a slog.
This is why i've always thought that BEND should have worked on a medium size game as their fist title. Easier to make ( more time available to fix bug on theory at least ) , less competition from big AAA studios, and the chance to understand their strenght and weaknesses.

At the end they've still released a good product which also found success in the market so not a bad effort.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony cancelling their KojiPro aquisition plans right now

Next target is Ready at Dawn again

Inside info... from my mind

Oct 25, 2017
Because people expect more from Kojima and fanboy drivel. Also the reviews are quite heavily split as well from what I'm seeing with key buzzwords like walking simulator which really riles people up.

What turns me off is the games length though. I may pass up on the launch and wait because 50 hours of a story heavy game with "minimal combat" isn't something I particularly want right now. Kojima or not. I was hoping for more of a 180 typical Kojima marketing but the praises its getting is still worth checking it out for sure.

The length variations are weird. We have 50-80 hours being thrown around but also that it's 35 hours with side quests as well.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Interesting in seeing if this is even more like DG and we love it and disagree with the harshest reviews.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Go to actual meta, there's really a lot of 10/10 for this game. The 3/10 really hurts it, seem like it should be 85-86 right now.

Primethius for a Kojima game, ppl were expected another Botw here. Like 25-30 perfect scores. It's still critically acclaimed but not to the highest level.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't expect it to hit 86 !

Outer Worlds is at 85, Gears 5 at 84 OpenCritic to compare

Now with more reviews, we will see it can keep 86

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
The length variations are weird. We have 50-80 hours being thrown around but also that it's 35 hours with side quests as well.

Agreed. It's still pretty high but the reviews are all over the place. It's clear that it's not a game for everyone but the quality is definitely there. You can't have 30 90+ reviews nearly and still hit 84 without some weird split.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks so good!
First the improvements brought for The Frozen Wilds and now these too, can't wait to see all these advances funneled back to HZD2 combined with the power boost of the PS5.

eodGHSx.gif

At the end they've still released a good product which also found success in the market so not a bad effort.

This generation is littered with new IP that didn't resonate or sell anywhere near close enough to get a sequel.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I personally don't mind if a game either 30 or 60 fps (except some cases like fighting games, racing, etc), but I hold developers responsible if they couldn't manage to stabilize/locked the game's performance (framerate drops, frame pacing, bugs, glitches, etc).

Very unfortunate Bend Studio & Remedy Entertainment failed on these parts with Days Gone launch & Control console versions respectively...

Wouldn't be nice if those horde sweeping with stable/locked framerate with no drops at all?

Let's see if PS5 backward-compatibility manage to solve this automatically/a boost mode/or with PS5 patch.

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2, for better and worse, is a variation on a tried and tested AAA concept.

It needs to fail at that to score poorly. Not the same thing as DS.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Era is a complete shitshow when it comes to most topics, but then you venture out into the rest of the internet and you're left thinking... I guess I can put up with it.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I just want to play the game to help other people lol

A reviewer said that it is very satisfying this new kind of multiplayer, he got more than 200k likes on what he has built

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

The same person who leaked tlou2 release date. Could be BS of course, but at least he has some track record.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
People are disappointed because they expected a 90+ from Kojima.

This is the same reaction you will get if CDPR, ND, Rockstar, 3D Zelda and TES games will score lower than 90

That should have been throw out the window as we got closer to launch .
The more you saw of the game and read what Kojima was saying 90 plus was never certain .
Hell i was ready to pre order but the TGS stuff made me wait and i am glad as i see this game not for me.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Great score for DS hopefully the game is a commercial success.

But I have to say this made me realize how impressive is Horizon critical and commercial success :O
I wouldn't be surprised if GG got a "blank check" for the sequel lmao

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You sure about this? ND's peak is a 96 and they've never made a game equal to or above since. In fact there is only one game THIS ENTIRE GENERATION that has broken 95+. The other two are remasters of last gen titles. Temper yourself here.

Truth is TLOU2 don't have to score 95+
Anything 91 to 94 good enough to drive hype for huge sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.