• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Someone else has talked about there being games out there that they were expecting to be announced by now, but he's banned from being discussed here. At this point if those games aren't announced by The Game Awards, it seems like it'd be safe to say that they've moved to the PS5. Sounds like whatever they are would make solid launch titles as well.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Someone else has talked about there being games out there that they were expecting to be announced by now, but he's banned from being discussed here. At this point if those games aren't announced by The Game Awards, it seems like it'd be safe to say that they've moved to the PS5. Sounds like whatever they are would make solid launch titles as well.
I still have my doubts that Sony ever had plans to announce more PS4 exclusives at this point. But is true that those insiders keept insisting that there were at least one more AAA PS4 game yet to be announced.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my doubts that Sony ever had plans to announce more PS4 exclusives at this point. But is true that those insiders keept insisting that there were at least one more AAA PS4 game yet to be announced.

Yeah, I wasn't sure why they'd announce a big game this late into the generation either. Sony does have a history of releasing big games after their new console, but they also have a history of having weak FP games at those console launches. So perhaps they just decided to take one of those games and move it to the PS5? I mean, it's not like anyone is going to accuse them of not having strong end of the generation exclusives for the PS4 if its last year "only" has Part II and GoT.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Speaking of remaining PS4 First-Party exclusives... I don't know if it was already discussed, but Bend Studio's career page wording seems suspicious. 🤔

Come join the team
Sony Bend Studio, the creator of Days Gone, Syphon Filter and Uncharted: Golden Abyss, is looking for top talent to join our in passionate team in creating a new AAA PlayStation 4 exclusive. Candidates must be passionate about their work and thrive in small-team environments where everyone inspires and pushes everyone else to create great products. If you love gaming and entertainment, then we think you'll fit in here. Bend Studio is growing and we've got room.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
No it's not what I want. I want their games to be exclusive. Copying Microsoft is the complete opposite of what I want. If they make it a habit PlayStation hardware will be irrelevant to me. I don't think they are foolish enough to go all in like that yet though. Nintendo seems to be the only company that knows what exclusives are about and value it completely.

Why would you want that ?
Why would PlayStation hardware be irrelevant for you ? There are other reasons than exclusives to choses an hardware nowadays: Interface, services, controllers, friendlist and such.
Exclusives used to be a way to exist before when the gaming industry was about a box launching games. Nothing else.
Of course 1st party titles will remain exclusives in the foreseable future. But we already shifted toward a service based industry.

As for Death Stranding, it's just as I said before: People should accept that from the very begining, Kojima had a huge leverage for negotiations. People only think of him as the Metal Gear series creator. He was also VP at Konami. And his name is worth a ton. Getting a total console exclusivity is already difficult because as I said:
Kojima had a wide choice for publishing partners.

And while some people might have some fetish that Sony would own Kojima, that the guy would happily work and only care about artsy stuff as long as he gets a blank check, that's not how it works. You don't go from VP of a big japanese publisher to making games in a studio owned by a big publisher without any control nor ownership to some degrees on your creation. Especially after the whole Konami/MGS debacle.

It's a win-win for both parties involved.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
No it's not what I want. I want their games to be exclusive. Copying Microsoft is the complete opposite of what I want. If they make it a habit PlayStation hardware will be irrelevant to me. I don't think they are foolish enough to go all in like that yet though. Nintendo seems to be the only company that knows what exclusives are about and value it completely.
I don't understand. On one hand you're saying you want their games to be exclusive to console.

But on the other hand you're saying you'd just play the games on PC anyway if they released there - well why else would PlayStation hardware be "irrelevant" to you in that scenario?

So if you'd rather play the games on PC anyway, why do you want them to be exclusive?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of remaining PS4 First-Party exclusives... I don't know if it was already discussed, but Bend Studio's career page wording seems suspicious. 🤔

Has any studio put out specific job listings advertising for work on the PS5 yet? A Bend game is going to be years out from now. No way in hell are they going to do a GoW2-type situation with any of their games.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
I still think that Death Stranding will have PS5 version and PS NOW release alongside PC version. With a good marketing and funding sequels, may be SIE-Kojima partnership will continue for 1-2 titles.

Btw, Shu visited Anapurna last week. May be Dreams for PC?

PS. After all Death Stranding goal is to reconnect the world. Best possible AAA first party game to have PC release and may be crossplay.

Last edited:

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
God of War among Top 5 best-selling games in the weekly chart of Italy, again.
dzFl1wO.png

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Yeah, I wasn't sure why they'd announce a big game this late into the generation either. Sony does have a history of releasing big games after their new console, but they also have a history of having weak FP games at those console launches. So perhaps they just decided to take one of those games and move it to the PS5? I mean, it's not like anyone is going to accuse them of not having strong end of the generation exclusives for the PS4 if its last year "only" has Part II and GoT.
Still curious to see from which studio is that supposed AAA game.
Does people consider BP games to be AAA? Maybe that's the one.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sooo...
Someone know why they announce PC version of DS just now?
Why not after release on PS4?
Probably sony and kojima didnt want to force players to double dip and frustrate PC players, its a big game so it would probably have annoyed more players.

Anyway no reason to complain about a pro consumer decision

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
User Banned (1 Month): Platform Warring; Numerous Prior Bans for Similar Behavior
Call me a fanboy but I hate that DS PC announcement and if Sony is continuing this trend, I will buy a an expensive PC instead of a PS5.

Imo PC gamers are an arrogant bunch (at least here in germany/austria) and before I get angry about them, I prefer to switch the side and be also an arrogant PC gamer.

And now shake your heads or make a facepalm xD

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Call me a fanboy but I hate that DS PC announcement and if Sony is continuing this trend, I will buy a an expensive PC instead of a PS5.

Imo PC gamers are an arrogant bunch (at least here in germany/austria) and before I get angry about them, I prefer to switch the side and be also an arrogant PC gamer.

So much desparation for nothing.

All one can read from PS gamers is "I want that game to be exclusive for Playstation". Isn't it a bit sad that apparetnly nothing else except for exclusive games makes the Playstation plattform worth investing in ?

Why should you give up on the convenience a console grants you compared to the PC experience that needs a bit more knowledge about the hardware and some kind of sleight of hands if you want to build your own machine.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Why should you give up on the convenience a console grants you compared to the PC experience that needs a bit more knowledge about the hardware and some kind of sleight of hands if you want to build your own machine.

I have friends with good HW knowledge, they always say I should come back to PC....

Said no in the past because the PS has better japanese/1st party support.
Japanese PC support already become better and when there are also 1st party games, I have no more excuses to say no xD

Oct 25, 2017
Most of this could have been avoided if Sony stopped doing super deceptive shit and just announced the game as a PS4 console exclusive with PC later.

But nope, they love trying to pass shit off as a full exclusive, so it's hard for me to care about folks asking for other PS4 exclusives on PC as well.

That is 100% Sony's fault for ruining their own messaging and labeling scheme. They diluted it over multiple years with multiple deceptive examples.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium

This is more a one off special deal Sony and Kojima negotiated tho. Worth it for Sony considering the guy, his legacy and potential to create more special experiences.
You wont see a parade of PS4/PS5 first party studio games drop onto PC.

I don't think you need to go crazy over this mate but you do you tbh

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Betting it was in the contract that it had to be announced before release.

Also... technically it was announced 4 years ago.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I just don't understand this shit. KP is not owned by Sony. How is this any different to Nioh or whatever else?

Just because he got an engine off them?? Is that it?

Sony has like 14 or 15 studios who will pump out the vaunted exclusives. That appears to be not enough for some folk, eh? Third parties want to release on as many platforms as possible, so even getting a console exclusive is a pretty big deal for Sony.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand this shit. KP is not owned by Sony. How is this any different to Nioh or whatever else?

Just because he got an engine off them?? Is that it?

Sony has like 14 or 15 studios who will pump out the vaunted exclusives. That appears to be not enough for some folk, eh? Third parties want to release on as many platforms as possible, so even getting a console exclusive is a pretty big deal for Sony.
The difference is that Nioh was only distributed by Sony outside of Japan, only PS4 version though.

Death Stranding is fully owned by Sony, they funded it's development and are paying for the marketing. It's the same with Bloodborne, only this has Kojima making Sony agree on a PC release before the contract was signed.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Here is the thing guys about the DS PC announcement. And I know this wont be as fun to read as "Kojima forced this multi billion dollars company to announce the PC version " or "Sony l9st it after Shawn left". The actual real reason for the announcement now is because DS on PC announcement is related to Sony's financial report later this week. Most likely this will be an underwhelming quarter from PlayStation in terms of earnings, and that's not really Sony's fault, because business just naturally slows down at the end of a generation. So by making that announcement now, and because Sony will be getting money from sales on PC, it gives investors something to hope for in the future, in this case, an additional revenue stream. This kinda protects the company from investors selling their shares once the disappointing report gets released.

Keep in mind I'm the one person on ERA that is not an insider. So i could be wrong and in fact Kojima forced Sony to do this and there is no one else left on sony that knows what they are doing.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
The difference is that Nioh was only distributed by Sony outside of Japan, only PS4 version though.

Death Stranding is fully owned by Sony, they funded it's development and are paying for the marketing. It's the same with Bloodborne, only this has Kojima making Sony agree on a PC release before the contract was signed.

Sony stated in an interview recently If i remember, that signing third party exclusives is much much harder now as studios want to release on more platforms. So this is probably the new compromise going forward. Console exclusive plus PC?

There's still going to be games from 15 studios that will be fully exclusive for the rabid fanboy crowd

Oct 27, 2017
But not enough to bear the cost of the full development of the game IMHO.

How much did Sony pay in development costs? How much have 505 paid for PC publishing rights? Oh right; you don't have the faintest idea.

Wasn't Kojima's next title announced as a PS4/PC game from the very beginning? When a legendary developer is shopping around for a publisher and enters your shop, you're going to make some concessions to bring him on board. That's just how it is.

Exactly. From Sony's perspective if the requirement is for Kojima to make them a new franchise and have it also release on PC 6 months later, or go to a different publisher then the answer is obvious.

Didn't Sony also fund SFV which also came to PC?

also isn't this what people wanted? Sony to be like MS, in that games such as this release on both PS4 and PC? I mean the PC isn't a direct competitor. It's delayed from launch of PS4, and it's never coming to their rival in the Xbox. I fail to see the big deal

They probably didn't pay for all the development costs of SFV, and it's an established IP which is not their own, so the situation is different.

Seems to be a very vocal minority in this thread pushing the case that this is a bad deal for Sony. Game should sell millions of copies before the PC version even releases.
One question though, will Sony get a cut of PC sales if they aren't publishing?

We don't know the terms of the deal, but I'd guess 505 either paid an upfront fee for the rights, Sony will be getting a cut from every sale or a combination of the two.

It does matter, as a consumer, if the first party games are multiplataforms now.

It could make or break the PS5.

I'm sure one PS4 game going to PC over six months later will decide the fate of the PS5. Definitely not hyperbole!

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
The deal signed between Kojima and Sony was above Shawn Layden's paycheque. It was handled by Andrew House.

At the end of the day, Andrew House/Sony saw it far more important to sign Kojima to a deal, and were willing to make even platform concessions so long as it wasn't coming to Xbox/Switch if that's what it took.

There's all there is to it.
Plus the small matter this was done 3-4 years ago.

Some in this thread have no idea about timescales. Sony and Kojima are very likely to have already signed deals for future titles. Titles we will have no idea about for quite some time. All of which ties into Sony's willingness to allow the use of Decima engine and other resources.

Oct 31, 2017

Wait, what? I thought he just opted not to post here anymore.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The crazyness in here. People really need to calm down.

Not only does Sony profit alot from this deal financally, but also technology wise. Decima got modified by KP and was adjusted to run on PCs.

Remember when Shawn said that First Party multiplayer games might hit PC? We also assume there is a second team at Guerilla Games which is working on a multiplayer game. So Decima Engine being already optimized for PC is a benefit for that team, too.

And yeah Sony won't give up on full exclusive games. Sony helped a Legend in the buisness to kickstart his studio and got a console exclusive out of that. That's a pretty good deal.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I don't understand all the drama with DS really. It was announced as a ps4 game with a PC release later on. This is what exactly is happening. So it obviously benefits ps4 sales since it has +6 months of exclusivity, and also reached a potential extra audience.
Also nobody knows the details on the deal, so maybe it is not as good (financially) as a full exclusive, but still good enough for Sony for sure, they have good relations with Kojima, own the IP, they have a console exclusive, they have decima engine expanded and tested on PC (maybe they can licence it just like UE in the future, so that's extra income) etc...

And i think it is good that the pc version gets announced prior to ps4 release, seems pro consumer to me, even if it was already known.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
Most of this could have been avoided if Sony stopped doing super deceptive shit and just announced the game as a PS4 console exclusive with PC later.

But nope, they love trying to pass shit off as a full exclusive, so it's hard for me to care about folks asking for other PS4 exclusives on PC as well.

That is 100% Sony's fault for ruining their own messaging and labeling scheme. They diluted it over multiple years with multiple deceptive examples.

The thing is, they did say it's a console exclusive two times in their press releases (1, 2). Of course they muddied the water after by adding only on PlayStation and never mentioning again that it's console exclusive, but it was announced as a console exclusive.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
lol I am fine with it being on PC and expected/assumed it be releasing on said platform anyway but I find it amusing how much Sony catered to Kojima

gave him a high class engine
gave him funding
gave him marketing
gave him Sony Music Support
gave him WWS dev help and support
etc...

and still Kojima wanted to toss it on PC, of course maybe the other benefits came after they already decided on a PC port

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, they did say it's a console exclusive two times in their press releases (1, 2). Of course they muddied the water after by adding only on PlayStation and never mentioning again that it's console exclusive, but it was announced as a console exclusive.

It was announced and then covered up pretty well, and that's why it is deceptive. This thread is prime example of how many people bought Sony's deceptive marketing hook line and sinker.

Right now everyone is going, "Great deal for Sony and Kojima etc etc"

But a few months ago, talk of Death Stranding on PC was derided with some posters going, "oh look folks trying to stir shit up again" or "not this shit again" if you tried to point out the obvious discrepancies in how Sony was handling the game.

Needless to say, any blowback is entirely on Sony. They are a multi-billion dollar company, and the leader in the gaming space. They can afford to fix their messaging. That they don't is entirely on them. That they actively deceive is entirely on them.

As far as I'm concerned, folks asking for other PS games on PC is justified blowback for the bullshit Sony tries to pull.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
So? It's not that gaming industry will stop if PS5 'breaks', devs will just migrate to other platforms or a new one will replace Sony.
Are you advocating that's its ok if worldwide studios went away? This is the first party sony thread right? I would like sony to be successful so they keep making the games that only they seem to be able to make

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
It was announced and then covered up pretty well, and that's why it is deceptive. This thread is prime example of how many people bought Sony's deceptive marketing hook line and sinker.

Right now everyone is going, "Great deal for Sony and Kojima etc etc"

But a few months ago, talk of Death Stranding on PC was derided with some posters going, "oh look folks trying to stir shit up again" or "not this shit again" if you tried to point out the obvious discrepancies in how Sony was handling the game.

Needless to say, any blowback is entirely on Sony. They are a multi-billion dollar company, and the leader in the gaming space. They can afford to fix their messaging. That they don't is entirely on them. That they actively deceive is entirely on them.

As far as I'm concerned, folks asking for other PS games on PC is justified blowback for the bullshit Sony tries to pull.

I'm not saying that the whole thing was handled well, they did manage to confuse people, me included. I'm just saying that it was in fact announced as a console exclusive with a press release on SIE's website, and you don't really get more official than that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that the whole thing was handled well, they did manage to confuse people, me included. I'm just saying that it was in fact announced as a console exclusive with a press release on SIE's website, and you don't really get more official than that.

Yep, it was. People ignored that fact and to this day, I have no idea why.

Sony has, consistently, tried to hide the exclusivity status of multiple third party games. Nioh 1 was probably the most blatant example of deceptive messaging.

And for some reason, people still give Sony the benefit of the doubt, only to look foolish afterwards.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
lol I am fine with it being on PC and expected/assumed it be releasing on said platform anyway but I find it amusing how much Sony catered to Kojima

gave him a high class engine
gave him funding
gave him marketing
gave him Sony Music Support
gave him WWS dev help and support
etc...

and still Kojima wanted to toss it on PC, of course maybe the other benefits came after they already decided on a PC port

Uhhh he needed and deserves all the above to help craft the game he envisioned and market it globally to hopefully get good sales results.
Whats so amusing, genuine question?

Status
Not open for further replies.