• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
People can't really come up to the fact that Kojima wanted to make a game for PS4 and PC, he talked with Sony and they said yes, go on, he was looking for an engine and GG gave him the source code, is it really hard to understand this? There is nothing weird, do you guys think Sony didn't know that Death Stranding was going to end up on PC since 2015-2016 and they are perfectly ok with this?

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
All the signs were there before, so it was amusing watching the mental gymnastics/downplaying many users here were doing before. The meltdowns are real lol.

Happy that more people get to play this, though! I have to say, this isn't a great look for Sony exclusivity. Unable to secure Nioh, NieR as exclusives and having Detroit and Death Stranding coming to PC. I always saw Sony as having this iron chain on exclusives like Nintendo, not anymore.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Even if day 1 on both PS4 would sell the most. I just don't think they are worried. Not like they need system seller at this point too, so fuck it just announce it now. The people who actually cancel their pre-orders are probably tiny.

Yeah, like "it'll sell 2.5m in a week" armchair analysts?

Folk with sales and pre order data etc have already been giving estimates that match up. And it's not exactly wild to say it would do similar to other ps4 games.

But hey you know the inner workings of all the deal, so do let us know the exact sales figures when their out, as sure you will come across that info too!!

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Two things strike me from reading this forum.

Firstly the lack of perspective in terms of Sony rolling out the red carpet for Kojima. This has very likely secured them exclusive console rights to his future output. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima Productions now joins WWS.

Secondly, how little the PC market affects console gaming. I grew up in the UK when home computers dominated. PC gaming just isn't a thing these days outside an ever decreasing niche.

Oct 26, 2017
Kojima Productions probably decided to announce the PC release ahead of launch, not Sony.

For sure you don't expect to see Sony making an announcement about the PC release of a game not published by them.

Secondly, how little the PC market affects console gaming. I grew up in the UK when home computers dominated. PC gaming just isn't a thing these days outside an ever decreasing niche.

This is debatable, since PC Gaming is bigger and more profitable than ever, for both AAA publishers, indipendent devs and indies.
The vast amount of Japanese series coming to PC and finding success it's not a coincidence or a case, and PC Gaming is not a decreasing niche, at all.

Funny to see you saying that PC Gaming is not a thing these days when a Major PC exclusive title topped the UK chart this year.

Oct 25, 2017
People can't really come up to the fact that Kojima wanted to make a game for PS4 and PC, he talked with Sony and they said yes, go on, he was looking for an engine and GG gave him the source code, is it really hard to understand this? There is nothing weird, do you guys think Sony didn't know that Death Stranding was going to end up on PC since 2015-2016 and they are perfectly ok with this?

Some people absolutely did not believe this. That's why there's a push back. Logic was damned from the beginning and folks ignored the simplest explanation in their denial attempts thinking Kojima was some small time dude at Sony's mercy.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Seeing tons of people here and elsewhere thinking about cancelling pre-orders.

I have no idea what the logic behind today's announcement was.

But, this level of honesty is much better than the shit they pulled with Nioh and even Nier.
You have to lack common sense or this is a joke posts. Please put a /.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Seeing tons of people here and elsewhere thinking about cancelling pre-orders.

I have no idea what the logic behind today's announcement was.

But, this level of honesty is much better than the shit they pulled with Nioh and even Nier.
Yeah, I appreciate the PC version being announced ahead of release so people who preordered on PS4 can switch to PC if they want.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
All the signs were there before, so it was amusing watching the mental gymnastics/downplaying many users here were doing before. The meltdowns are real lol.

Happy that more people get to play this, though! I have to say, this isn't a great look for Sony exclusivity. Unable to secure Nioh, NieR as exclusives and having Detroit and Death Stranding coming to PC. I always saw Sony as having this iron chain on exclusives like Nintendo, not anymore.
Nintendo are really good at retaining exclusive software.

Sony seems incapable of doing so this gen.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
For me, releasing the game on pc would make no financial sense, it isn't a mutiplayer focused one to benefit from a larger player base..
1. Is Kojima such a big pc fan that a hypothetical Sony refuse to port the game on pc would make him search for another publisher ?
2. If it was Sony's request, why ? The main sales will be on playstation, plus people will doubt the future exclusivity of their games. Their porting to pc is very strange and haotic.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Don't worry guys, next one will be good news
  • Good : Insomniac purchase
  • Bad : Spider-Man out of MCU - Sony/Disney outrage
  • Good : The Last of Us Part II release date/Outbreak Day - Spider-Man back in the MCU
  • Bad : Shawn Layden departure
  • Good : PS Now (price decrease, marquee titles, marketing started)
  • Bad : TLOU Part II getting delayed

Today news falls into which category? 🤔

Testobjekt

Jan 23, 2018
Germany
They might post a tweet celebrating the 25th anniversary.

Maybe....

"It is with great emotion that we announce that Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida will be departing SIE."

A5F42660F861A07DE6BA4615B4AC2671D7128678

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017

How do you know they were unable to retain exclusivity? Maybe they never attempted it in the first place. The budget for major ps4 games is probably larger then most Nintendo exclusives with a few exceptions, so it makes sense that some are on PC as well.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019

Yeah i don't know why all the freakout, it's Sony IP they can do what they want, to me as a consumer what does it matter?

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are assuming there will be a ton of cancelled preorders for a game coming to PC in the summer.

Anyone who has preordered the game are most likely huge kojima fans and have associated him and his games with Playstation for a long time. PC gamers will simply just wait.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
If we're gonna talk about Sony "retaining" exclusives then we should at least stick to games that actually belong to them instead of blaming Sony for what third parties do with their own products like Nier and Nioh :P

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019

Nier, Nioh were never exclusives. Detroit and Death Stranding have just showed Sony's flexibility as a publisher, which is always a good thing imo. Like, we'll never know how many cool projects Sony has rejected due to their requirements not fitting Sony's rigid guidelines.

Also Nintendo has a wholly different approach, which is more brand first than developer first.

Yeah i don't know why all the freakout, it's Sony IP they can do what they want, to me as a consumer what does it matter?
Exactly. Fanboys I tell ya.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Folk with sales and pre order data etc have already been giving estimates that match up. And it's not exactly wild to say it would do similar to other ps4 games.

But hey you know the inner workings of all the deal, so do let us know the exact sales figures when their out, as sure you will come across that info too!!
Funny you think using some vague tweet that usually say nothing to do you armchair analyst adds weight to it, but using easily accessible official information, which points to a very good deal for Kojima is a step to far.

I'll be sure to post how early data is above/below my expectations, that's like 90% of being an armchair sales analyst right? My expectations will remain unknown though.

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure how you how can expect 3rd parties to not put games on multiple platforms. They don't own Nioh, Nier or Yakuza. They chose to let Detroit to go PC..Same fi r Helldivers. Not gonna lie it seems like Kojima fleeced Sony though. It's a bad look.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden

None of the titles you mentioned were made by a Sony studio so there was never any reason to doubt a port would be available down the line...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, but how do you know what Sony gave him?

People keep assuming Sony gave him a blank check or that this games budget is on the same level as RDR2 lol.
Yeah, I'm totally assuming a 80 person sized studio has the same budget as the game that had like 3000 something people working on it. We know it's a Sony I.P, we know it uses a Sony owned engine and a Sony funded game, Kojima has toured the world like 3 times, it has a pretty famous cast. It's likely not cheap.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Many Sony exclusives are third party, so Sony can't always control what happens to those franchises in the long run. Nintendo owns the vast majority of its exclusive franchises, so they will stick with Nintendo forever.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fact that they have that many open positions while the God of War team is still largely intact makes me believe this as well.

I wonder if they're trying to build two fully operational teams, or if it's going to be one full team and then a smaller team that's able to get things into place? I remember Cory mentioning in the GoW doc that they were operating like that when he came back to SSM. That's why he was caught off guard when Internal-7 was canned and all of a sudden he had a full team to work with.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
User Warned: Console wars
Sony just seems like they don't have the same level of pull to be able to keep exclusive software like they did during the ps2 era. If they don't up the amount of tentpole exclusive software, they'll end up like the xb1.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Sony just seems like they don't have the same level of pull to be able to keep exclusive software like they did during the ps2 era. If they don't up the amount of tentpole exclusive software, they'll end up like the xb1.
This has got to be up there with the dumbest shit I've read on this site.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Funny you think using some vague tweet that usually say nothing to do you armchair analyst adds weight to it, but using easily accessible official information, which points to a very good deal for Kojima is a step to far.

I'll be sure to post how early data is above/below my expectations, that's like 90% of being an armchair sales analyst right? My expectations will remain unknown though.

OK, Mr 'sony get next to nothing' from this deal.

Lol, the crazies are out in force tonight

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Unable to secure Nioh, NieR as exclusives and having Detroit and Death Stranding coming to PC. I always saw Sony as having this iron chain on exclusives like Nintendo, not anymore.
Why would S-E and KT not want to retain their own big IPs as they want? The former was just a marketing deal (badly handled), and the latter was an exclusive distribution deal in the west (that was also announced as console exclusive from the start).
QD's games was more surprising given Sony owned those IPs and they had an exclusive deal (just like Sega had with Sega when they made Bayo/Madworld/Anarchy Reigns), but Death Stranding isn't.

Seems like Sony is seeing the point in putting some of their games on PC anyway, as seen with the recent comments about Dreams. Doesn't change the fact they're console exclusives.
None of the titles you mentioned were made by a Sony studio so there was never any reason to doubt a port would be available down the line...
^This. And it's not exactly like Bloodborne where Japan Studio helped them. It's more like SFV.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
For me, releasing the game on pc would make no financial sense, it isn't a mutiplayer focused one to benefit from a larger player base..
1. Is Kojima such a big pc fan that a hypothetical Sony refuse to port the game on pc would make him search for another publisher ?
2. If it was Sony's request, why ? The main sales will be on playstation, plus people will doubt the future exclusivity of their games. Their porting to pc is very strange and haotic.
The contract for Death Stranding would have been agreed 3-4 years ago. Long before any talk about engines etc.

Although none of us can be certain. Sony's ever greater involvement in the technical side of Death Stranding. Likely comes on the back of new contracts between Sony and Kojima for future titles.

Pre-production will already be well underway for what comes next.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care that DS on PC once i get to play it .
Also we are moving to the stage where everything going to be everywhere .
Think this is the last gen where you will only see Sony games on PS systems only even more so with streaming up and coming .

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they're trying to build two fully operational teams, or if it's going to be one full team and then a smaller team that's able to get things into place? I remember Cory mentioning in the GoW doc that they were operating like that when he came back to SSM. That's why he was caught off guard when Internal-7 was canned and all of a sudden he had a full team to work with.
No Sony studio before they bought Insomniac has more than one team in full production at a time. Even ND and GG have to operate only 1 team in full production only. Hopefully Insomniac can help Sony studios on how to manage mutiple teams effectly

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
No Sony studio before they bought Insomniac has more than one team in full production at a time. Even ND and GG have to operate only 1 team in full production only. Hopefully Insomniac can help Sony studios on how to manage mutiple teams effectly

I think Guerrilla are actually building toward a two team studio. They said that they want to be able to release games every 2-3 years going forward. And last year they announced that they were hiring an additional 150 developers.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, it'll cast doubt on all future 3rd-Party exclusive announcements.

That should have been the case once the company not own by Sony .
PC don't seem to be a problem for Sony once they get it on there system only as a selling point .
There still a lot of people that don't care play on PC and only care about consoles.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
You seem to be getting upset, but that's the best response you could come up with? Saying absolutely nothing in response, completely dodging the conversation.

You might want to proofread your own post. It doesn't really make sense. I actually find it hard to understand.

And I'm not upset, lol. I'm laughing at you and other posters hot takes based on a simple pc release. It's comical!

Status
Not open for further replies.