• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine spending millions on DS, free engine, marketing just to keep game away from xbox. Even if that. And they re not even publisher on pc. And tricking people that its exclusive, buy our hardware. Just lol. While their ips re rooting being unused.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see DS-PC-Put everything on PC is going to be the discussion for a while in here until Sony drop some new news.

Ight ima ✌🏽out

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
]
So, Sony "lost" in this gen: Quantic Dream, Super Massive, the Yakuza Series and "now" KojiPro (this one supposed to be the deal from the start btw)

I'm forgetting something/someone? Very curious to see what they'll do in the future as they said that "exclusive content" was going to be the focus.
Super Massive?
You forget that SM still collab with Sony, lol :)

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So Sony funded the project and didn't even publish it on PC?

Sometimes it's worth taking the bag of cash from people to have them incur the risk. Publishing Detroit (and Death Stranding) on PC has a form of risk involved (port costing vs. likelihood of recouping the money vs. other factors) so sometimes its worth it for a Publisher to take a bag of money from someone else to let them publish instead. Plus, it's Sony's IP, they still make money out of other people doing the work for them.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
k1y0qwh59av31.jpg

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are first party. Made for Sony, for their money and Sony own IP.
1st party.

That's not how that works. First party is an owned studio. You're thinking of the nebulous '2nd Party' term where a company commissions a studio and stipulates it be an exclusive to their platform (owning the IP, if it can or can't go to another platform later? All negotiable)

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
That's not how that works. First party is an owned studio. You're thinking of the nebulous '2nd Party' term where a company commissions a studio and stipulates it be an exclusive to their platform (owning the IP, if it can or can't go to another platform later? All negotiable)

Second party is not a thing in the video game industry. It's first party IP, third party studio.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Except plenty of folks, in this very thread, pushed back against this. Resulting in some folks currently being surprised.
Exactly, in fact that's what I thought was happening because people in this thread reiterated it constantly
So acting like we shouldn't be surprised is...naive at best
Anyway, I don't think this thread should be panicking, first party games like TLOU2, Spider-Man 2, Horizon 2, ain't going anywhere, so any PC gamers salivating over the thought should be saving up $400-$500 (unless you wanna deal with PSNOW, I know I don't, fuck streaming)

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really surprised DS is coming to PC, Kojipro is independant after all.

I'm just confused by the timing of the announcement (mere days from PS4 release instead of weeks ago), and the fact that Sony isn't publishing it themselves.

Last edited:

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018

Second-party developer is a colloquial term used by gaming enthusiasts and media often used to describe two different types of game development studios:

Independently owned studios who take development contracts from the platform holders and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.

Studios who are partially or wholly owned by the platform holder (also known as a subsidiary) and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.
Its term used by media and players.
Death Stranding is First Party Game.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Does it retroactively changes its status if the studio is bought after the game is out (Insomniac Spider-Man lol)?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if Sony actually fully funded the game, or they partially funded the game + marketing expenses in exchange for 6 months exclusivity and ip ownership.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
If there's another Uncharted, I'd rather they go with Cassie. Love Drake and co, but they could do some cool things with games based around a younger, less experienced character. That said, I'd also be fine with more Chloe.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
He can stay chilling on the beach. Create the story around you know who.

I'm cool with that. I've even said that I wouldn't mind if they just decided to put a twist on the series and fully embrace the Tomb Raider comparisons, but flip it and have it more inline with the original TR games. Heavy emphasis on exploration and puzzles with some light action sprinkled in. And that'd actually make sense given the ending to U4.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I'm starting to wonder if Sony actually fully funded the game, or they partially funded the game + marketing expenses in exchange for 6 months exclusivity and ip ownership.

Don't think it's fully funded by Sony. Kojima said that he had to borrow money from a bank to open the studio and start developing the game. Don't know for sure how it will work with the IP.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The studio does not have to be owned for the game to be first party.

In the video game industry, a first-party developer is part of a company which manufactures a video game consoleand develops exclusively for it. First-party developers may use the name of the company itself (such as Nintendo), have a specific division name (such as Sony's Polyphony Digital) or have been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer (such as Rare or Naughty Dog).[6]

Second-party developer is a colloquial term often used by gaming enthusiasts and media to describe game studios who take development contracts from platform holders and produce games exclusive to that platform.[8] As a balance to not being able to release their game for other platforms, second-party developers are usually offered higher royalty rates than third-party developers.[7] These studios may have exclusive publishing agreements (or other business relationships) with the platform holder, but maintain independence so upon completion or termination of their contracts are able to continue developing games.

First-second etc has always been in relation to the developer. that's why the devs one Headhunter for the Dreamcast described themselves and 2nd Party and making an exclusive for Sega.

A first Party game is made by a first Party studio.

2nd and 3rd party studios can still produce titles that are exclusive (or not! — eventually) to the platform

It's why Ted Price used to say 'even though we're independent, Sony treats us like we're first party'. The access, integration, and studio context determines the status, not the platform availability.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Underground

In the video game industry, a first-party developer is part of a company which manufactures a video game consoleand develops exclusively for it. First-party developers may use the name of the company itself (such as Nintendo), have a specific division name (such as Sony's Polyphony Digital) or have been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer (such as Rare or Naughty Dog).[6]

Second-party developer is a colloquial term often used by gaming enthusiasts and media to describe game studios who take development contracts from platform holders and produce games exclusive to that platform.[8] As a balance to not being able to release their game for other platforms, second-party developers are usually offered higher royalty rates than third-party developers.[7] These studios may have exclusive publishing agreements (or other business relationships) with the platform holder, but maintain independence so upon completion or termination of their contracts are able to continue developing games.
And yet, games like Detroit, Bloodborne, and Journey are all first party despite Sony not owning the developers behind the games.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope if Sony plans to release more games on PC (even something like Dreams that's obviously an exception), they do it properly and publish it themselves instead of selling publishing rights to different publishers resulting in a mess

Does Sony ever publish any of these PC versions? I checked Detroit and Journey- both of them have different publisher as well.

edit nvm, that already have been discussed. Hard to keep up with these threads today.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about he comes back and works on it?
Looks like Bruce is done with AAA development. I guess he has enough money to start his own indie stuff.
That's exactly not how it works. Again, Sony owns the Death Stranding IP. It's a 1st party game. It doesn't matter who developed it. And "second party" doesn't exist. It's just a made-up thing.
The studio does not have to be owned for the game to be first party.
Yep.
A first Party game is made by a first Party studio.
It doesn't matter if the game got made by a 1st party dev studio or a 3rd party dev studio. Death Stranding, Detroit: Become Human, Until Dawn are all Sony IPs / 1st party games

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They may have been productions funded by Sony, someone may have (incorrectly) called them first party, but they were 2nd Party productions by every definition.
They are Sony 1st party games. You can call it second party, which is just a made-up term. It's officially a Sony 1st party game.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly not how it works. Again, Sony owns the Death Stranding IP. It's a 1st party game. It doesn't matter who developed it. And "second party" doesn't exist. It's just a made-up thing.

Yep.

I've given examples and citations. If you want to ignore those in favor of (I can only assume) being mad that death Stranding is going to PC, go ahead. Don't take that the wrong way or as hostile, I'm just at a lost as to why we're getting so into the weeds on this.

But no, 2nd Party is not a made up term. It has existed in the industry almost as long as said other terms. Exactly because there is a noteworthy distinction between 'Developing an exclusive for a platform with or without the platform holders direct commission'. That's hugely important.

Again this thing you're saying is a made up term is something that citable and defined.

Last edited:

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Idk what's going on this year with Sony but, for me, zero good news in 2019 coming from them, all bad. (im not saying DS on PC is bad news, "bad news" is the lack of good communication, announce this 2 weeks before release is awful, I just cancelled my pre-order in order to play next year on PC). I hope 2020 is better for Sony bc now...I'm not even hyped for PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.