• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's still suprised for me. The game uses all the resources from Sony so I thought it would be PS4 exclusive.

Yeah switching to Decimal might have blurred the lines a bit, but the fact that it was included in the announcement made it clear for me that it was important to Kojima. Furthermore, I'm sure Sony would've made it clear that the status changed if the game ended up being full on exclusive.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Death Stranding seems to be a weird game that takes high risks compared to Sony's other games. In fact that Kojima Productions announced it and not Sony don't get your hopes up for an acquisition. I can now see why Jim Ryan wanted to acquire Insomniac Games and more studios to keep games under control.

Independence of studios demand PC version nowadays because of the high development costs. I think we are going to see less deals with independent studios on PS5.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
It does seems really odd that Sony would be so damn thirsty for Kojima that they would be willing to quite literally roll out the red carpet for him, let him hand pick an SIE engine, and release the game on PC, as well as fully fund the game of course.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
But he is right, Death Stranding is a first party game (like Spider-Man before Insomniac purchase)

There was a FAQ that mentioned a PC version that was deleted shortly after the announcement. Since the game is getting a PC version, now we know that was part of Kojima's terms for working with Sony.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The IP is still belong to Sony. If the game is success, they basically have a Trojan house
With Sony, the IP didn't matter as much as the developer. Demon Souls, Detroit, and Until Dawn as an example. The dev will go on to make new IP that's basicallu spiritual sequel. Especially with Kojima, if Death Stranding is a huge hit, his name will have a lot of weight and not much Sony can do about it

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
From the other thread, someone found the Q&A mention:

In a Q&A also issued by the company, as published by Medium, it was revealed that Sony is not investing in Kojima Productions, and the unnamed game in question "is planned to become available on PC" after its PS4 releaseThe length of the console exclusivity was not disclosed, but the statement indicates it will not be available on Xbox One

Also Dreams is coming to PC, with the recent MM talk. Calling it now.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Some are thinking about Sony in most peculiar terms; this is all the result of good personal relationships between Ryan, Kojima and other top members of the company. They made an arrangement in order to push him forward and in return now have in their hands a potential new blockbuster IP.

It's not like they've lost something; on the contrary, this whole project has been positive for them (imagine the black hole in PS4's first-party schedule if Death Stranding hadn't been around).

God of War in 60+ FPS? Yes, yes, yes.
That's happening next year on PS5, most probably (uncapped framerate will be now stable).

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking of pre ordering the game but said why not wait for reviews, glad I did that. If reviews are good and there are no technical issues then I'll buy it on PS4 but if there are some problems I may wait for the PC release or PS5 remaster if there will be one.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
KojiPro isn't a first party. At most we're looking at a second party with first party type funding for this IP.

KojiPro isn't first party, but Death Stranding is. There isn't really any such thing as second party outside of forum talk, and even though DS is getting a PC release, the game was still funded by Sony.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, I think that really blurs the definitions and distinctions. There's gotta be another way to classify it?
There's no such thing as 'second party'
You either own something or you don't. Just because Sony and Kojima agreed to a pc release doesn't mean the IP is not owned by Sony.
If Sony tomorrow decided to outsource the next God of War to an independent studio, or Microsoft decided to do the same for Halo, that doesn't mean they are not owned by Sony or Microsoft anymore.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
With Sony, the IP didn't matter as much as the developer. Demon Souls, Detroit, and Until Dawn as an example. The dev will go on to make new IP that's basicallu spiritual sequel. Especially with Kojima, if Death Stranding is a huge hit, his name will have a lot of weight and not much Sony can do about it
It's Kojima? His name already has a ton of weight.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This has to be one of the strangest deals in video games lmao. A Sony funded and owned game on a Sony developed engine coming to PC, published by 505 Games. Wut.

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
People tried to the initial FAQ under the rug because they don't understand how contracts work.

Shit was hilarious.

Yea, I didn't post much about it, but if something says console exclusive, it's console exclusive. They yanked the Q&A cause Sony wanted to focus on marketing and getting tons of sales of the PS4 version.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
If Sony is funding and also publishing it, they also get the sales from the PC Version. SOOO, it's not necessarily a bad thing? Don't think DS will move console sales so it will not affect that part.

edit: Nvm, Sony is not publishing the PC version. That's really weird now.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Some are thinking about Sony in most peculiar terms; this is all the result of good personal relationships between Ryan, Kojima and other top members of the company. They made an arrangement in order to push him forward and in return now have in their hands a potential new blockbuster IP.

It's not like they've lost something; on the contrary, this whole project has been positive for them (imagine the black hole in PS4's first-party schedule if Death Stranding hadn't been around).

Yeah this is how I see it too.
This is a situation that's beneficial to all parties, more DS sales for KojiPro specifically and Sony own a potential amazing new IP.

This particular arrangement with DS is a special case and giving Hideo PC market to sell to is a good call imo.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima must have big dirt on Sony.

All that money in funding, marketing, engine and not only its not an exclusive but the worse is that they aren't even publishing the game on pc.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The biggest question going forward is, will Kojima make another exclusive Sony games after Death Stranding. Before, they had Andrew House that really push for Kojima.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Sony choosing not to publish it themselves on PC is weird and dumb
It's your engine, money, marketing and time. Why put up this barrier when it means less control and benefits from the PC release?

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyways, anyone here know how long Medievil is? Thinking of squeezing it in this weekend as my Halloween game.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
I'd really like to see the contract between Sony and Kojima lmao..I mean they apperently funded the game, gave away one of their first party engines and are not even publishing the game on PC wtf

Sep 23, 2019
I would have bought DS on release but now that it comes to PC ?
Yeah gonna wait for that. No reason to play it on PS4.
Got lots of backlog to play and Iceborne is taking up most of my time anyway.
I like this new approach from sony.
Games like TLOU 2 or GoT on pc in glorious 60+ fps ?
Yes please Sony

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Im not suprised that DS will be on PC because from beginning it was known.
Im suprised that they announce it about 2 weeks before PS4 release. o_O

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah this is how I see it too.
This is a situation that's beneficial to all parties, more DS sales for KojiPro specifically and Sony own a potential amazing new IP.

This particular arrangement with DS is a special case and giving Hideo PC market to sell to is a good call imo.
Sony owning Death Stranding IP worth nothing because Sony is not going to make a sequel without Kojima. Not without huge backlash from fans anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.