• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Critical Hit. You can tell by how fast and smooth the development of that game was. To create an open world AAA game in 3 years with a small team means that man already had this game planned, mapped and ready inside his mind for a while. I don't know if it will reach goty status, but I'd be surprised if it's anything less than a crazy fun game.
Not sure if it will be a critical hit or not, but I think Kojima achieve whatever it is he want with Death Stranding. Weirdness and all.

Whether it will be received critically is still unknown, it is not your typical game, it's also very different with Metal Gear, so we really have no idea what to expect. People might be put off by the premise of simply delivering packages, or they might expect metal gear and disappointed when it's not and that might affect the reception a bit

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Courtesy of the latest Waypoint Radio. It's time-stamped if you wanna listen to it; if you do - they've also got a long segment discussing 🥶 and 🇭🇰 and 🇨🇳, worth a listen.

Patrick Klepek: "Everything I've heard about the PS5, this is going back full 2 years now - has been a huge emphasis on 'history' and that it's going to be the sort of thing where it's not just about the future, but also about the past; that means your ability to play lots of those games."

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Courtesy of the latest Waypoint Radio. It's time-stamped if you wanna listen to it; if you do - they've also got a long segment discussing 🥶 and 🇭🇰 and 🇨🇳, worth a listen.

It'd be pretty amazing if they could pull off having the whole Playstation catalog on the PS5. Or at least the majority of it. I'd assume that doing the PSone, PS2, PSP and Vita aren't too difficult at this point. The PS3 remains the elephant in the room. I'm not really sure what they can do with it.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
You should post this in the Next-gen thread as well.

They'd love tidbits like this~~~

An insider in that thread mentioned that Sony decided to really focus on BC in 2017, and even delayed the 2019 PS5 launch because BC wasn't ready yet.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Demon Souls looking like this would be glorious.

What ever happened to Deep Down anyway?
Deep Down got a showing at TGS after the reveal that actually had gameplay, but after that I think it just fell off the map completely. One of the biggest fuckups is that it used a brand new engine (Phanta Ray) and... progress on the engine was not going smoothly from what I understand. Capcom eventually dropped the engine after doing sod all with it, and developed the amazing RE engine instead - so its not all bad news, that kinda gave Capcom a good kick up the ass and had them make several great games off the back of that engine.
DD I guess was a casualty of the engine, and cost Ono (who was in charge of the whole thing) dearly especially as SFV has had an... interesting life span. I personally think its either 100% dead (most likely) or being retooled on the RE engine for next gen.

Capcom has been very quiet this year over what's coming (aside from confirming a new Mega Man game is still coming, and more SFV DLC is coming). Which is super exciting, aside from me loving MM, I get the idea that we might be getting a Capcom game for next gen launch, and I'd be super down for that, it'd make that PS5 purchase all the more easy!

Man, that's be insanely awesome if BC is actually more than just PS4 (which is what I expect/mainly want). If they can get all my PS1-3 games (or at least, a few) working that'd be amazing. Though I'd mainly want PS3 games working, and that seems the most unlikely. But I'll wait and see, not like I don't keep my PS3 plugged in anyway.

Speaking of the PS3, I had it on yesterday to play some Bionic Commando REarmed (amazing game still, pity Grin's 3D effort wasn't quite so great :( ) and I'd forgotten just how bad the PS3 update system is... took forever to actually get into the game. So glad the PS4 really just streamlined everything in that regard, and its why I really don't mind remasters of PS3 games on the PS4, as it means I don't have to deal with that OS/UI anymore!

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
If they actually manage to get Playstation 1, 2 and 3 emulation I'm preordering that shit day 0. I'm assuming if it happens they'll save the announcement for the reveal as one of the big features of the console.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
honestly i think that the only BC to have an actual impact would be PS3 BC, because of how difficult it is percieved to be, and that will cause the hardcore community to be surprised and excited (similar to this gen's 8gb gddr5, the reaction on the old forum was funny), which might snowball to the more mainstream audience.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Tks for this nugget!!! a PS5 with full b/c is the dream, and a huge selling point for Sony IMO. PS5 will likely sell out regardless, but I think a PS that can play everything from PS1-PS4 locks them up for a good 2-3 years of selling just like PS4 did. Hope this pans out...

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
No-one buys a new console to play old games. It's a nice bullet point, hut hardly a selling point.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Tks for this nugget!!! a PS5 with full b/c is the dream, and a huge selling point for Sony IMO. PS5 will likely sell out regardless, but I think a PS that can play everything from PS1-PS4 locks them up for a good 2-3 years of selling just like PS4 did. Hope this pans out...

As much as I'd love full bc with previous gens I see ps now playing a big part in access to their historical stuff, may even be used as a driver to get more people onto the service.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
No-one buys a new console to play old games. It's a nice bullet point, hut hardly a selling point.
i agree on the basic idea that most wouldnt buy a console for old games, however, at the modern age of social media, some times fairly small news/ news that should only matter to a specific niche, could end up snowballing to affecting a bigger audience, latest example being the deadly premonitions 2 announcement. so a PS3 BC announcement could end up generating a lot of discussion online and help with the general excitement of PS5 launch. its not necessarily about buying PS5 for old games, its about keeping their next gen console in disccusion.

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
But what if it's the literally full BC (probably not happening, but still) with ps4? No need to wait until devs will make some sort of update to make it work or something like that, no, it's all ready the moment you turn ps5 for the first time, like ps1 to ps2, every possible ps4 disk, any ps4 purchased content from psn, so if you already have a ps4 there is no possible scenario you'll need it again. Plus little sweet upgrades like short load times, etc. Besides, I believe it would still be possible to sell those juicy remasters with more noticeable improvemends, like if you already own Spider-Man on ps4, go ahead and play it on ps5 for free, yep, but it will be pretty much the same as ps4 version, just with faster load times, and there, if they willing to sell it again and there's an audience willing to buy, here we go your updated ps5 version, sold separately with some huge upgrades. I know it's sounds crazy, but wouldn't it be a win for everyone including Sony, even if they will lose some profit because a lot of people will simply buy used ps4 discs instead of those ps5 remasters? Seems like a huge selling point to me, and I'm 100% confident that a lot of people would just sell their ps4/gift it to a friend or whatever and jump on board very early, if not day 1. At the end of the day - hardware sales matters to Sony a lot and I just can't see how this "hey, your ps4 is already inside of ps5" marketing won't boost ps5 sales like crazy, considering how many ps4 owners are out there, and I'm also pretty sure you're always going for the potential hardware sales over potential software sales at the start of the generation.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
There's an added value to what's regarded as uncommon. If BC for old PlayStation systems had been part of every transition, you could say it's "business as usual". That not being the case, the "extraordinary" addition of what otherwise would be "ordinary" is bound to make a greater impact. Any old fan will be curious to try how PSX or PS2 games look and perform on this ultra-modern system.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What was that rythme game supposedly planned for the end of 2019, from ex-Capcom becoming indies, with a tagline like "rock vs edm" ?

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for this
You should post this in the Next-gen thread as well.

They'd love tidbits like this~~~

An insider in that thread mentioned that Sony decided to really focus on BC in 2017, and even delayed the 2019 PS5 launch because BC wasn't ready yet.
Wait what ???
I forgot to read that thread, do you have a link to this post please ?

So PS5 was really planned for 2019 originally

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

BC isn't really a selling point for pushing new console sales, if we look at this gen's winners as reference. (PS4 and Switch)

But old games and BC are low-cost ways to empower "services", by enabling the ability to sell your subscription service with a large amount of legacy tiles - and also a cheaper way to bolster quantity to stuff like PS+/Xbox GwG/Nintendo Online games on monthly basis.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

That sounds wonky. The Xbox One did not have backward compatibility at launch. The most often repeated argument at the time was backward compatibility is an attractive feature to have on day one, but partial drip-drip backward compatibility 2 years into a new generation does not have the same persuasive pulling power. Some people believed the Xbox BC program was a game changer and would turn fortunes around, while other people were not so convinced.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Back catalogue is more important than ever to platforms and publishers due to the rise of digital sales and subscription services. BC isnt just a move that's consumer driven, its also aimed at making publishers and developers more inclined to invest on your platform.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
PS4/PS3/PS3/PS1/PS Vita/PSP BC hype!

Even if it is just PS3, that would be really good. If they can get automatic performance boosts as well, it'd be really fire.

Back catalogue is more important than even to platforms and publishers due to the rise of digital sales and subscription services. BC isnt just a move that's consumer driven, its also aimed at making publishers and developers more inclined to invest on your platform.
Yep, that is definitely a revenue opportunity for them.

Imagine Killzone 2 on PS5, boosted to 4K60............
Those potential performance gains got me hype.

Sony needs to go all out for this. Plain BC with no improvements would be kinda eh. It would still be good but yeah.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
BC will make a difference for me. I will get a ps5 day 1 if it has bc with all ps4 games. If not it's gonna take a good 2 years to play all the ps4 games I want before I pull the trigger on next gen.

Hell there's a couple games I'm holding off on buying because I assume they will run better on ps5.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Once upon a time for me backwards compatibility was just a bullet point, but now as others have pointed out we have these huge digital libraries, and for me I have such a back catalogue that I want to get through so the ability to just keep downloading what i already own on a service going forward is super important. It also makes me super excited that I could pack up my PS4 and just replace with a PS5 and continue on like nothing has changed.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

I was thinking about that. BC that would extend pass PS4 to PS/PS2/PS3 and even PSP and Vita would be a great way to celebrate 25th PS anniversary with the fans and great bullet point for PS5. I even thought of some stupid acronyms like PS Five, Playstation Forever lol.

With having such BC they could fold all the existing PSN stores (PS4, PS3, PSP, VIta) into one single entity on PS5. You would have a huge library of games to choose from and buy digitally from day 1. It would be good way for publishers to put their back catalogue for sell without additional cost.

Also the existing back catalogue (everything would be good) could be included into PS Now to stream and download directly which would make the service much more enticing as it would increase the amount of games past other services like Game Pass and would make Switch subscription BC look like a chump.

That's just some ideas as to why full BC could be a good marketing point at the beginning of the gen not only for PS5 but for PS Now as well.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatibility is really key to ecosystem lock-in, it's important for platform holders and their partners to get this right now. The more someone spends the deeper they entrench themselves and the more prohibitive it becomes to leave it all behind. It also increases consumer confidence with digital purchases.

i will be beyond thrilled if the BC extends further than the PS4.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Backwards compatibility is really key to ecosystem lock-in, it's important for platform holders and their partners to get this right now. The more someone spends the deeper they entrench themselves and the more prohibitive it becomes to leave it all behind. It also increases consumer confidence with digital purchases.

i will be beyond thrilled if the BC extends further than the PS4.
This. Someone is simply way less likely to make the switch from PlayStation to Xbox (or the other way around) if it means they can't take their games and content worth hundreds of bucks with them whole they could if they were to stay in the same console family.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Sony announces BC for PS1-4 and PSP/Vita (how does that even work?) and the Playstation fanbase explodes
Imagine the thread, imagine the Discord voice chats, imagine the Youtube reactions
:shuahh: :jim:

Oct 25, 2017
Sony announces BC for PS1-4 and PSP/Vita (how does that even work?) and the Playstation fanbase explodes
Imagine the thread, imagine the Discord voice chats, imagine the Youtube reactions
:shuahh: :jim:
578653476712611840.png

Status
Not open for further replies.