• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
What is Bruce Straley doing anyway since he left Naughty Dog?
He's the interactive story producer for a VR experience called Chained.

Chained: A Victorian Nightmare is the immersive theater VR adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic tale. Step into Victorian-era London, keep the company of ghosts, and confront your own past, present, and future through a bone-chilling journey of self-discovery in this evocative new vision for A Christmas Carol.

In this single-guest experience, you will interact with live actors in both real and virtual spaces, traveling through an exquisitely-detailed physical set into the spirit world of 19th-century London. To "cross over", you will be placed in a Virtual Reality headset where you will travel through otherworldly scenes and converse with powerful and terrifying spirits.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
The director for all the previous Ratchet games worked on Spidey as director of experience.

We'll surely see another Ratchet but I wouldn't be surprised if it came after Spidey 2 tbh.

We cant really tell if one negates the other though. For a while Allgeier was Insomniac's overall Design Director on both Resistance and R&C, but still he managed to be the creative director on the Ratchet games. This role of Director of Experience seems to be similar to his Design Director position, where he oversaw some aspects of all projects in the studio, even if he was leading his own.

I also recently noticed that Brian Horton (Rise of the Tomb Raider Game Director) who joined Insomniac as their new Design Director in January 2018, has changed his role to Creative Director since May 2018. So maybe he could be at the helm as well

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any French speakers want to summarize his thoughts after playing the game?
I parsed rapidly to avoid possible spoilers.

Just 2 VR modes, one mini adventure "Splotch and the Spider" (about 45minutes long) and a Free Draw mode, which uses specific locations to paint in VR.
He advised to play at least the beginning of the game before getting into the VR modes, if only to recognize the characters.

The VR paint mode uses fixed 3D scenes where you can look around but not move. He says they are beautiful, but he laments that of the dozen or so locations only 1 allows to paint the scenery in 3D, the rest is 2D painting.
The VR is a neat addition to the actual game, but not worth the price just by itself.
As per the main game, he is only at the beginning but says it is gorgeous and really well done, and well worth the $29.99 price.

Nov 8, 2017
I parsed rapidly to avoid possible spoilers.

Just 2 VR modes, one mini adventure "Splotch and the Spider" (about 45minutes long) and a Free Draw mode, which uses specific locations to paint in VR.
He advised to play at least the beginning of the game before getting into the VR modes, if only to recognize the characters.

The VR paint mode uses fixed 3D scenes where you can look around but not move. He says they are beautiful, but he laments that of the dozen or so locations only 1 allows to paint the scenery in 3D, the rest is 2D painting.
The VR is a neat addition to the actual game, but not worth the price just by itself.
As per the main game, he is only at the beginning but says it is gorgeous and really well done, and well worth the $29.99 price.
Thank you!

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
So, the embargo for Concrete Genie reviews already dropped here in Brazil, I wonder if there was some confusion on the PR side of things over here

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
So, the embargo for Concrete Genie reviews already dropped here in Brazil, I wonder if there was some confusion on the PR side of things over here

Possibly, this site had the review up but removed it.

Also found these:

+
Good visuals
Engaging plot
Easy gameplay (not sure if he means difficulty wise or if the controls are easy to use, probably the latter)

-
Short
Few combats

+
Can be pretty even with graphical limitations
Freedom to paint the city as you like
Customizing Genies is fun
Easy to play for everyone

-
Movimentação bem travada (have no idea what travada means here, must be a brazilian term) FelipeMGM help lol / edit: it means janky/stiff movement
Stealth is weak and doesn't present a challenge
they could've added more painting mechanics

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'm convinced that naughty harvests souls to make their games so amazing
KindSorrowfulBarasingha-size_restricted.gif

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Gris and Obra Dinn will make for a great indie month this October. Curiously, both games could be more different; that's how diverse the medium is nowadays (plus Obra's concept is just very, very clever).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that there's only Mexican outlet reviews for CG. Where's the rest? Surely Sony sent out copies to IGN, etc?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It seems that Sony Brazil said the embargo was going to end at 1 pm today, that's why only Brazilian websites are publishing their reviews. Probably an error because many of them are removing it.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Control right now and I'm loving it but I feel like it could be so much more and I feel like a lot of these issues are probably due to the budget.
I really hope Remedy is working with Sony on a next gen title that expands on the things Control is doing in a big way.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I had free time yesterday and with a giant backlog waiting for me, I chose to play The Order 1886 for the first time, as it was a short game that I could finish in one sitting, and I did it.
Graphically the game is unbelievable, the environment, the atmosphere is amazing, but what a huge waste of potential, gameplay is terrible, you are basically walking literally through halls as slow as Arthur at RDR2 camp for almost the entire game, with a QTE here and there, some gun combat sections of 2 or 3 NPCs all the same, gunplay feeling was good, but the cover system is one of the worst I've ever played in my life,boring cutscenes that never ended, confusing, predictable and uninteresting story that when it was getting interesting the game just ended.
The game was clearly made with sequels in mind, but what were they thinking? With such a bad game it is difficult to get a sequel,good premise but terrible execution, a studio with experience in narrative-driven games and a good director can save this IP, with a totally different sequel, but keeping these characters and the world, I really liked Galahad, but if it's to have a sequel done the same way or made by Ready at Dawn, better be dead anyway.
For sure the worst Sony exclusive PS I've ever played in this generation.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I was quite skeptical about Concrete Genie thinking that you wouldn't have freedom to paint and it'd be a couple of set pictures that you had to figure it out but you actually can create anything you want (with the gallery they provide, of course).

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Just ripped through what I believe is my 5th TLOU playthough. My last one was in 2016. Did this one on normal going for all collectibles. Sadly my conversation trophy glitched which robbed my platinum.

My last two runs were grounded and grounded + so I appreciated the change of pace. I loved absorbing everything I possibly could this run. I can safely say that it is still the GOAT. It's just such a finely crafted experience with a couple blemishes here and there.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
If we assume that Ghost of Tshushima will be a "cross-gen" title, are there any AAA heavy hitters apart TLoU Part 2 remaining till the PS5 release?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
If we assume that Ghost of Tshushima will be a "cross-gen" title, are there any AAA heavy hitters apart TLoU Part 2 remaining till the PS5 release?
If you mean first party and assuming GoT is cross-gen, then TLoU is probably the last big AAA game from Sony to the PS4.
But there is still FF7R, Nioh 2 and Granblue Fantasy Versus

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
If you mean first party and assuming GoT is cross-gen, then TLoU is probably the last big AAA game from Sony to the PS4.
But there is still FF7R, Nioh 2 and Granblue Fantasy Versus
Yep, I meant 1st party games. Welp, will sell my Pro after TLoU and play GoT on the PS5, if it will offer a substantial performance/graphical boost when jumping next-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.