• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. But Sony been doing that in all their First Pary games since the PS3.
One of the reassons why most of people here just buy PS consoles.

EDIT: What the tweet says is that Concrete Genie can be fully played in portuguese.
Has always one of of Sony's/PlayStation's biggest strenghts. Translating the games for a lot of regions ww.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but does anyone else think it's quite likely we'll see a new Ratchet & Clank in the first year of PS5?

It just kind of makes sense to me. The previous Ratchet game did really well for Sony, and Spider-Man came out a year ago, which leaves a good window for Insomniac to make it. It also seems likely Sony would want a family friendly game around the launch, and what would be better than this? Please don't try and be funny and say Knack.

I mean, it's possible? It really depends on what Insomniac NC is working on right now. It's pretty much a done deal that their main team is working on the next Spider-Man game since that agreement with Marvel likely doesn't leave a lot of room for dragging their feet. But if the east coast team is working on a Ratchet game, I think it's believable we could see it within the first 365 days of launch.

I doubt we'd see it during the first couple of months, but first year, sure. Think inFamous Second Son-level "launch window" title rather than Knack.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Expected but still nice.

Also, can we acknowledge how crazy it is that the PS4 Pro is still holding strong at launch MSRP about a year before new hardware hits? The only real change is that we get a game with most consoles now.
Yeah, $300 for the base model 6 years in and launch price for the pro 3 years in is quite insane. Can't blame Sony though with these sales numbers.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I would just take another pseudo-space-Zelda game on the lines of A Crack in Time, honestly. That's all the series needs: more stuff to do beyond endlessly replaying the same ten or eleven levels.

We just have to wait & see how the next game would evolve, innovate, & improve + introducing new things to the series.

Basically, my own personal Ratchet RPG is taking from concept & ideas of JRPGs.

Like, implementing a Final Fantasy journey from beginning to the end, along side battle system, more playable characters, side missions, more detailed story, etc.

I hope it's not same-old same-old again...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We just have to wait & see how the next game would evolve, innovate, & improve + introducing new things to the series.

Basically, my own personal Ratchet RPG is taking from concept & ideas of JRPGs.

Like, implementing a Final Fantasy journey from beginning to the end, along side battle system, more playable characters, side missions, more detailed story, etc.

I hope it's not same-old same-old again...

I don't think Ratchet needs to be an RPG. Let Ratchet be Ratchet, just widen the scope a bit. A Crack in Time was a perfect prototype for a Space Zelda game, they just needed to spend a bit more time on the "overworld" and the mini-dungeon planets to make them differentiate from each other more easily.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let Ratchet be an rpg, it's nearly there to be fair. Make it like a Mass Effect, retain the combat system, add in companions (and relationship, no need for romance), loot (random properties ala borderlands), levelling system, hub world/ship. Different locales to explore and they can still add in some metroidvania too.

I don't think Ratchet needs to be an RPG. Let Ratchet be Ratchet, just widen the scope a bit. A Crack in Time was a perfect prototype for a Space Zelda game, they just needed to spend a bit more time on the "overworld" and the mini-dungeon planets to make them differentiate from each other more easily.
You mean Zelda like classic right and not as boring and unrewarding as BotW? I could go with that too

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You mean Zelda like classic right and not as boring and unrewarding as BotW? I could go with that too

I mean like A Crack in Time but with better "connective" content. The framework is already there, they just need to do more with it.

Ratchet and Clank is a game about Ratchet and Clank, forcing a bunch of RPG genre tropes into it just to have an RPG would defeat the purpose of both Ratchet AND prevent Sony from making a real RPG, which they desperately need.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean like A Crack in Time but with better "connective" content. The framework is already there, they just need to do more with it.

Ratchet and Clank is a game about Ratchet and Clank, forcing a bunch of RPG genre tropes into it just to have an RPG would defeat the purpose of both Ratchet AND prevent Sony from making a real RPG, which they desperately need.
Ratchet and clank is honestly teethering already as an rpg base on their last game, it has levelling, skill trees for weapons, equipments, etc. Making it more customizable (armor parts instead of wholets) and maybe add in more random elements like mods that make your guns even crazier is personally a good direction for me

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and clank is honestly teethering already as an rpg base on their last game, it has levelling, skill trees for weapons, equipments, etc. Making it more customizable (armor parts instead of wholets) and maybe add in more random elements like mods that make your guns even crazier is personally a good direction for me

Random loot sounds like it would just make the games worse, honestly.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the traditional levelling up, I'm not sure how else they could expand Ratchet, the series is at a good place with the A Crack In Time formula with the mini-planets, side quests and arena. At this point just more of that will be great for me, but it wouldn't grab new players. Maybe crazy vehicle customisation and upgrades to explore on planets for rarer items, like getting a crazy dune buggy and going to town, something like Jak 3 I think.

And heck no to random loot! Make it so the harder and rarer materials are always in the most challenging areas, but you're always guaranteed to get them. Make it so it's tough, but not Bullshit.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Insomniac has to try something new, innovate, and evolve the series.

They could still let "Ratchet be Ratchet" while introducing new significant things to it that's fresh to see & feel.

I love the series and don't want it to become Ascension.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
All of you people posting concrete genie spots from PS accounts.. you know that in some cases, more people see it in this thread than on the social media, right?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Outside of the traditional levelling up, I'm not sure how else they could expand Ratchet, the series is at a good place with the A Crack In Time formula with the mini-planets, side quests and arena. At this point just more of that will be great for me, but it wouldn't grab new players. Maybe crazy vehicle customisation and upgrades to explore on planets for rarer items, like getting a crazy dune buggy and going to town, something like Jak 3 I think.

And heck no to random loot! Make it so the harder and rarer materials are always in the most challenging areas, but you're always guaranteed to get them. Make it so it's tough, but not Bullshit.
well, they could always try tapping into furry market and add romance option ....

also, don't want random loot, I'm not sure I even want weapon customization or crafting. I kinda want the weapons to have very specific function designed for both combat and puzzle solving/traversal options.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac has to try something new, innovate, and evolve the series.

They could still let "Ratchet be Ratchet" while introducing new significant things to it that's fresh to see & feel.

I love the series and don't want it to become Ascension.

The series DID innovate with ACIT. They just need to take what they did there and do it better. Callous attempts to chase popular trends got us Deadlocked.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The series DID innovate with ACIT. They just need to take what they did there and do it better. Callous attempts to chase popular trends got us Deadlocked.

The series GOT stuck in innovation with the 2016 game, where it's not that much of a difference with Into the Nexus.

It's fair right now because a new game has yet to be announced & what kind of improvements has yet to be seen.

God of War 2018 gave us a different camera angles, axe weapon, a boy, etc, & it's fresh to see & feel.

While new Ratchet doesn't have to be like that, a spin-off full-fledged RPG would also fresh for me to look & feel at.

Ratchet becoming an RPG is its next step towards evolution
👍

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The series GOT stuck in innovation with the 2016 game, where it's not that much of a difference with Into the Nexus.

It's fair right now because a new game has yet to be announced & what kind of improvements has yet to be seen.

God of War 2018 gave us a different camera angles, axe weapon, a boy, etc, & it's fresh to see & feel.

While new Ratchet doesn't have to be like that, a spin-off full-fledged RPG would also fresh for me to look & feel at.

Why not just do that as a new IP though? Why shove Ratchet into another genre altogether? Into the Nexus was a mediocre game because it was made cheaply and quickly just to have a game out, not because the CONCEPT was stagnant.

You don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater every time Sony rushes a game to market half-baked.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Why not just do that as a new IP though? Why shove Ratchet into another genre altogether? Into the Nexus was a mediocre game because it was made cheaply and quickly just to have a game out, not because the CONCEPT was stagnant.

You don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater every time Sony rushes a game to market half-baked.
Into the Nexus was the second best Ratchet on PS3 though. Being short was it's only problem but it was never meant to be a full fledged title.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
PlayStation Now |OT| ........

Will be starting the OT for PlayStation Now a bit later. Nothing fancy. Surprised it's not been created before. Need some title suggestions though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Into the Nexus was the second best Ratchet on PS3 though. Being short was it's only problem but it was never meant to be a full fledged title.

Yeah. I think the issue with Ratchet was that after ACIT, Insom started just doing smaller, "half-games" like Nexus and All 4 One instead of a proper follow-up.

The remake has shown the concept still has life in it (even if it was not as good as ACiT or UYA), and I think if they took the galaxy-exploration framework ACIT introduced and blow it out like crazy we could have a really cool sequel on our hands.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here care about Monkey King Hero is Back?

Review embargo lifts on the 16th at 8am PST

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
if the next Ratchet and Clank is as ambitious as ACiT then I don't see it as a launch game

earliest a launch window game but even that might not be the case

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

I wouldn't mind a new RPG IP from Insomniac, but from my personal observation, the game & series have potential to be expanded into another genre that is not that unfamiliar to the mainline games whether the developer realized it or not.

It would be a fresh take to the series, in my opinion, though I realized that other genres already exist for the series (tower defence, 4 player co-op, etc).

But if the next game is not RPG, then that's fine by me.

However, some things I could judge from it are how much the new game innovates than before.

If the previews & reviews telling me not that much of a difference, then no sorry to Insomniac, I'd rather watch walkthrough on YouTube & spend my money elsewhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind a new RPG IP from Insomniac, but from my personal observation, the game & series have potential to be expanded into another genre that is not that unfamiliar to the mainline games whether the developer realized it or not.

It would be a fresh take to the series, in my opinion, though I realized that other genres already exist for the series (tower defence, 4 player co-op, etc).

But if the next game is not RPG, then that's fine by me.

However, some things I could judge from it are how much the new game innovates than before.

But if previews & reviews telling not that much of a difference, then no sorry to Insomniac, I'd rather watch walkthrough on YouTube & spend my money elsewhere.

Pretty much. Ratchet has repeatedly branched out into other genres and those attempts were never exactly received super well.

I just don't see any value in making a Ratchet and Clank game with randomized loot or AI-controlled party members (not called Mister Zurkon, obviously) sucking up potential game design ideas that could otherwise go into weapons Ratchet and Clank themselves can use.

The big draw of Ratchet has always been the creative weaponry. I think what the series needs now more than anything else is to make the weaponry increasingly functional - more weapons that let you do things in the world beyond just blowing things up. They've been experimenting with that with Tools in the past couple of games, and I think now would be the time to really merge Tools into full-on weapons so you have multi-functional weapons that serve practical AND combat ends.

Combine that with the kind of space Zelda/space Metroidvania format they premiered in ACiT and never truly followed up on and you could really have some interesting worlds to play around with to help broaden the game without necessarily injecting it with things it doesn't need (party members, randomized stats/loot mechanics, etc).

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Concrete Genie preloaded this week-end for me, but I have to admit that the near compete lack of advertising seen recently, coupled with apparently no copies provided for early reviews make me feel Sony has 0 confidence in the game (I know they are doing a strong push on Death Stranding, but still).

Shame, as it looks fantastic and the theme / feel seemed to really resonate for me (which is why I preordered).

Hope it still turns out well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They could make it like Tales of games with other party members AI.

Choosing targets, which skills to use, attack/defence, etc.

It depends how Insomniac develop it though, if they make it like that.

Yeah, I wouldn't like that at all. I want Ratchet to have all the weapons, I don't want to have a bunch of AI dorks stealing guns I could be using myself.

If they were going to make a party-driven game, they need to make a new IP.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing this (vvv)... I could easily imagine Alundra coming back in some manners (especially after playing BotW).

wow, the vibes on this are amazing

It instantly reminded me of some stuff Bruce Straley posted on twitter. Similar vibes to it:

imagine him directing a brand new Alundra game with this style 😬

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
PlayStation Now |OT| Sony Gamepass
PlayStation Now |OT| The new sub standard
PlayStation Now |OT| Now! (Or a few milliseconds later)

Status
Not open for further replies.