• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no OT for The Last of Us Remastered on here? Was kind of hoping to take advantage of all the new people in MP from the PS+ deal and finally get my platinum and knock off those mp trophies with some people from Era.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, what the hell happened with the new PS4 firmware update? This might be the longest we have to wait, right?

No idea, I was on the current beta but it's been in beta for so long with I think 5 updates so far. I rolled back to original firmware because the code to share expired and wanted to chat with some other friends for iceborne. I wanna say soon but I told my friends that months ago.... think this is the longest Sony has had a firmware beta.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Today we are 60 days away from the 25th anniversary of the launch of the original PlayStation. I wonder if Sony is cooking something up.

Probably don't expect it too much.

At best, a surprise event (new State of Play whether it will have significant news or not, PSX, etc).

At worst, any underwhelming/nothing at all.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Anniversary rule of thumb - they don't matter until they do.

Companies only take advantage of an anniversary event when they coincidentally have something else planned that match that timing. If they have nothing, they will do nothing.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Is it really more people, or the same ones buying whatever they release on any platform? Dark Souls, Sekiro and Bloodborne have similar sales, after all, and cater to a very specific audience. I'd like to know how much coincidence there is between its users, as I'm quite sure any From fan has played everything they've released since Dark Souls, regardless of where it launched.

On Concrete Genie and PS Now, I believe day one makes no sense, either for big or small games. Unless your trump card is focusing on services, and by that, I mean a single service, which is not what SIE is doing. Let's say it sells on release, 100/200k, a big percentage of that coming from the digital version on PSN. That's many times more money for the studio than a similar number of subscribers. So first, capitalize on the fans; after a while, cut the price and put it on your subscription.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Concrete Genie OT is up and live!

Like I said in the OT already: I hope you "make more AA games Sony" guys are ready to support this game day 1! ;)

I'm there day one, but perhaps Sony should support them better.

The way CG is being handled is bringing back bad memories of how Puppeteer was handled. There's only so many times the blame can be laid at the feet of consumers when the platform holder should do more to support their own game.

Oct 25, 2017

The way CG is being handled is bringing back bad memories of how Puppeteer was handled. There's only so many times the blame can be laid at the feet of consumers when the platform holder should do more to support their own game.

These games don't need to sell is what you'll be told.

Until they do. And if the studio is shut down, it was totally on them.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony's support for Concrete Genie was great. We already had this discussion a few days ago. Sony IS supporting their AA games like Concrete Genie and MediEvil Remake.

We had dozens of tweets and posts on PlayStation's Facebook, Instagram and Twitter account. We had press/preview tours for these games. We had dozens of trailers and gameplay videos on PlayStation's Youtube account and on the PlayStation Access account. We had PlayStation Blog posts. We had an E3 trailer. Both, MediEvil and Concrete Genie, had a State of Play trailer. We had a demo on the PS Store with an exclusive DLC. Sony even added a VR mode for Concrete Genie made by an internal separate team inside the HQ of San Mateo.

THAT is support! Great support actually. The only thing you will NOT get are TV ads. Which makes sense, because those are niche games and TV ads are just too expensive. So it's just wasted money.

The "support/market your AA games more" nonsense is exactly that. Nonsense! Looks like some of you guys are simply ignoring the marketing, or you are thinking press tours and everything I mentioned above isn't "marketing". In the end, maybe your focus is on AAA games in regards to PlayStation and you ignore almost everything else. So the problem is you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cchowfatpck9a.gif

Last edited:

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Yeah I don't know what people are talking about with this "sent to die" business.

Did you expect Concrete Genie to be plastered on every bus like Spiderman or God of War or something?

Oct 25, 2017
If you think tweets by official Twitter accounts constitute good marketing, then well, there's not really much of a point in debating whether or not the marketing is good.

We are on opposite ends of the definition.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
If you think tweets by official Twitter accounts constitute good marketing, then well, there's not really much of a point in debating whether or not the marketing is good.

So - realistically speaking, how would you had wanted Concrete Genie's marketing to be more visible?

Closer to Medievil's? etc etc?

Oct 25, 2017
So - realistically speaking, how would you had wanted Concrete Genie's marketing to be more visible?

Realistically speaking, some marketing that involves non-officials channels reminding me the game is coming out in a few days would be a start.

TV ads aren't the only form of marketing available for a game, but restricting marketing to official fans of select social sites isn't exactly "good marketing."

Hell, if it wasn't for Sanji, I'd probably forget this game is coming out in two-three days and I generally skim this thread and like Sony titles.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017

My heart wishes for marketing like the Uncharted, Horizon or Death Stranding games.
My mind knows it is not possible to push millions into games that sell what 500k to 1 million at max.

That we get Medievil and Concrete Genie at all is a blessing.

Jan 20, 2019
Realistically speaking, some marketing that involves non-officials channels reminding me the game is coming out in a few days would be a start.

TV ads aren't the only form of marketing available for a game, but restricting marketing to official fans of select social sites isn't exactly "good marketing."

Hell, if it wasn't for Sanji, I'd probably forget this game is coming out in two-three days and I generally skim this thread and like Sony titles.

Realisticaly speaking, they are not gonna market 3 titles in 1 month, you shouldn't expect that.

Death Strading takes priority above everything else, then MediEvil and only after you have CG. On top of that you also have the COD marketing and other things.

I also dont expect the studio to be close, they are 20 peopel, im sure the game cost almost nothing to Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
Realisticaly speaking, they are not gonna market 3 titles in 1 month, you shouldn't expect that.

Death Strading takes priority above everything else, then MediEvil and only after you have CG. On top of that you also have the COD marketing and other things.

I also dont expect the studio to be close, they are 20 peopel, im sure the game cost almost nothing to Sony.

Concrete Genie releases in 2 days.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
My broad critique of Concrete Genie marketing atm isn't even comparing it to Sony AAA stuff - but to Medievil which is imo - the same scope of marketing but executed better.

For Medievil, there is a more consistent effort to make a more pronounced regularity of information sharing to make it known that the game is coming soon - and having that timed demo was a good move of giving a sense of urgency to something most would skip if it wasn't timed.

I don't expect Concrete Genie to get big marketing or anything.But even in the scope of a smaller budget marketing , I do agree it could've been better.

Oct 25, 2017
SOON

On Concrete Genie and PS Now, I believe day one makes no sense, either for big or small games. Unless your trump card is focusing on services, and by that, I mean a single service, which is not what SIE is doing. Let's say it sells on release, 100/200k, a big percentage of that coming from the digital version on PSN. That's many times more money for the studio than a similar number of subscribers. So first, capitalize on the fans; after a while, cut the price and put it on your subscription.
Agreed.

Sony could end up getting the best of both worlds. They can get the money from the first year or so and then get money from those who weren't going to get it otherwise. So far, Sony hasn't presented PS Now as a primary option. It is a complimentary option meant to assist their traditional game launch method. Sony still has a ways to go with PS Now before it gets to the point where day 1 launches make sense. Granted, I think it makes more sense for Sony to do the prolonged approach with PS Now since their games sell quite well.

Yeah I don't know what people are talking about with this "sent to die" business.

Did you expect Concrete Genie to be plastered on every bus like Spiderman or God of War or something?
Yeah, I don't think it is so much sent to die. It is more like they are limiting how far it could potentially go. So, instead of topping out at the ~300K range, it could be somewhere in the ~600K range or what not. Just random numbers for the example. It all just depends on what Sony is expecting of the game.

Either way, I think Sony has a lot of work to do in regard to making their non-AAA games relevant to the market. The base craves AAA games but I don't think that automatically means the commercial potential of smaller games has to be so low.

It just feels like Sony is releasing these type of games for the "See, we do make these type of games!" effect instead of those games just being a viable part of their business on their own. Throw them a few non-AAA games here and there just to keep appearances up.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
My broad critique of Concrete Genie marketing atm isn't even comparing it to Sony AAA stuff - but to Medievil which is imo - the same scope of marketing but executed better.

For Medievil, there is a more consistent effort to make a more pronounced regularity of information sharing to make it known that the game is coming soon - and having that timed demo was a good move of giving a sense of urgency to something most would skip if it wasn't timed.

I don't expect Concrete Genie to get big marketing or anything.But even in the scope of a smaller budget marketing , I do agree it could've been better.
Yeah, this.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
That's because discussion about marketing - even if we all can only speak from a limited information perspective is not about the far end of each spectrum.

Concrete Genie was revealed and announced at a major conference alongside Ghost of Tsushima. Medievil got a couch PSX announcement that was poorly received . Both games are coming out at around the same time , both having none of Sony's AAA muscle behind it.

In spite of that, I think Medievil has been much better marketed with a stronger visibility of its impending release - simply through different execution of roughly the same amount of content.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I think it goes without saying that the priority for marketing goes AAA > AA.

Death Stranding is out relatively soon. I don't think everyone outside of Kojima fans and Sony fans know exactly when it's coming out, but they will be better aware than the AA games Sony makes. Death Stranding gets the most - TV and cinema ads, billboards, posters.

After that AA games are the next in line, and the stronger IP will get the better marketing in my opinion.

There are more opportunities from Sony's end for MediEvil to become something bigger than a one-off if it sells well. Sony has even commissioned a prequel comic story for MediEvil, which I think shows how they view the IP. It gets a PSN demo, steelbook packaging, a video series, and transmedia opportunities.

Concrete Genie has received some good marketing so far, but due to the scheduling of these games, there is only so much marketing to go around, and unfortunately it's left with good marketing but what might be considered the scraps to some.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It is a PART of the marketing. Did you read my post before?

We had dozens of tweets and posts on PlayStation's Facebook, Instagram and Twitter account. We had press/preview tours for these games. We had dozens of trailers and gameplay videos on PlayStation's Youtube account and on the PlayStation Access account. We had PlayStation Blog posts. We had an E3 trailer. Both, MediEvil and Concrete Genie, had a State of Play trailer. We had a demo on the PS Store with an exclusive DLC. Sony even added a VR mode for Concrete Genie made by an internal separate team inside the HQ of San Mateo.

That all is part of marketing. The only thing missing are TV ads and stuff like logos etc. on buildings and on a bus. And you won't get that for small AA niche title.
Again: The marketing is there an pretty good for MediEvil and Concrete Genie.
I konw, what i dont know is why peopel still act surprise when they dont markted AA titles. It is not like the first time they havent done it...
Good thing then that they are doing it, for MediEvil and Concrete Genie.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It is a PART of the marketing. Did you read my post before?

That all is part of marketing. The only thing missing are TV ads and stuff like logos etc. on buildings and on a bus. And you won't get that for small AA niche titles. Again: The marketing is there an great for MediEvil and Concrete Genie.

Good thing then that they are doing it, for MediEvil and Concrete Genie.

Yes, I read your post. Did you read mine? The qualifying word here is "good." And I'm talking about Concrete Genie, not MediEvil.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I read your post. Did you read mine? The qualifying word here is "good." And I'm talking about Concrete Genie, not MediEvil.
I already mentioned what Sony already did... twice. So yeah, I call that pretty "good" for small niche titles that got made by 15-20 devs. If you need TV ads or "other non-official channels need Concrete Genie ads, too" to call it "good", then..... welp. Agree to disagree then. The marketing is there.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Would like to know how Sony should hype a AA game for less informed PS4 users.
They don't watch SoP or reading in a game forum and for TV spots or Billboards is CG too small....

Maybe a demo would help.

Oct 25, 2017
I already mentioned what Sony already did... twice. So yeah, I call that pretty "good" for small niche titles that got made by 15-20 devs. If you need TV ads or "other non-official channels need Concrete Genie ads, too" to call it "good", then..... welp. Agree to disagree then. The marketing is there.

Yes, I basically said this in the post you quoted a moment ago because our definitions of good marketing are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it a step further it ain't just AA. It's everything that's not cinematic cuz dreams and mlb don't get it either 🚶🏾‍♂️

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the feeling of Sony not advertising Concrete Genie is how there's not a lot of hype around here for the game. Even for Sony big titles most of the coverage I saw was from a third party (gaming websites, people retweeting official trailers/media, forums like Era) while for Concrete Genie there's barely any talk even when Sony releases a trailer for the game, which plays into that feeling when in fact a large part of that is how the game is niche and only appeal for a small number of people.

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the feeling of Sony not advertising Concrete Genie is how there's not a lot of hype around here for the game. Even for Sony big titles most of the coverage I saw was from a third party (gaming websites, people retweeting official trailers/media, forums like Era) while for Concrete Genie there's barely any talk even when Sony releases a trailer for the game, which plays into that feeling when in fact a large part of that is how the game is niche and only appeal for a small number of people.
Agreed.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I basically said this in the post you quoted a moment ago because our definitions of good marketing are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Yeah looks like it. Because some people expect too much marketing / marketing budget for small niche titles imho. So yep, agree to disagree then.
I'll take it a step further it ain't just AA. It's everything that's not cinematic cuz dreams and mlb don't get it either 🚶🏾‍♂️
lol MLB gets a lot of marketing and even TV ads. Don't be jealous because King Naughty Dog gets the most marketing!
🚶🏾‍♂️
One of the biggest reasons are huge and famous Sony AAA games like Death Stranding and now The Last of Us 2. They overshadow almost everything ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Which than begs the question why bother. Why even let the team make it if
A) you know the fanbase you created don't give a fuuuuvk
B)you not gonna go out of your way to try to make them give a damn cuz money

since y'all only mention mlb I assume we agree on dreams 😏👀

Status
Not open for further replies.