• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
So damn good, too many games ignore prone combat.

FirstConventionalAndalusianhorse-size_restricted.gif

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
The problem is if Disney co-finance at 25% (and I'm not sure they will) to have 25% profits, they will not co-finance the marketing

And we do know that marketing spends for that kind of blockbuster usually costs between $130-200m, so even if Disney help with production cost, that's not « fair »
But I guess that's the price Sony has to pay to be in the MCU and to enjoy the MCU popularity
If correct, that's a very good point. Honestly I was okay (as a simple observer) with their initial refusal; it wasn't ideal but I thought them more than capable at the studio to handle this universe with no MCU ties. As you point out, however, it seems to be in their best interest to have a good relationship with Disney, at least for the moment. By the time "smaller" projects like Venom 2 or Morbius are released, I guess the studio will have a better idea of whether it can handle all this by itself, or it's preferable to rely for a bit longer on this collab.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez if you read certain threads around here you would all but think ps4 completely bombed in Japan.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
So Dina is bi I guess? Hmmmm, ambiguity in her sexually!? I don't Trust a!! Watch out Ellie!!!

MilesQ OMG that gif! Ellie is snake!

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Listen Mode is for losers and Killzone fans. Change my mind!

I don't know if I would do my first run without it.
I played the first game with and without and while I do agree that no listen mode is the definitive experience I'm not sure I would like my first playtrough to have a lot of those frustrating moments I had with the first game without it.
I would probably leave no listen to a second run.

Ps. I like KZ lol

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
So is this an update that large or is this the game with all the updates but being sold with new packaging?

The game with most of the updates:
Once you have purchased Gran Turismo Sport Spec II, you can download all of the content added in online updates since the release of Gran Turismo Sport on 17 October 2017 together with the main game. This content includes car models, courses and rounds for the single-player GT League mode. You can also get the "Top 10 Manufacturers Pack – FIA Gran Turismo Championship 2018", a pack containing car models from the top ten car manufacturers in the "FIA Gran Turismo Championship 2018" Manufacturer Series. Those who purchase the game early will receive 2.5 million credits that can be used in-game, so it's also a great starting point for newcomers to Gran Turismo Sport.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone think Sony might do one of those promotions where you spend 100 dollars and get 15 back anytime soon? Don't recall if they did one last year.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like TLoU is going to be about 30 hours or so

Ugh, that sounds awful to be honest. Has there ever been a linear single player game which has taken so long to complete?!

Isn't that a given considering the PS5 is backwards compatible? Or are you saying that's there'll be a PS5 exclusive version with more bells and whistles than a backwards compatible version would be able to achieve?
Sometimes I forget PS5 is backwards compatible, lol. They probably won't have two SKU's or will they? Maybe a "Deluxe Edition" for the PS5 is a good bet.

I wouldn't be surprised for a single SKU which plays on both consoles (probably with a meaty texture pack download on the PS5) but it's primarily marketed as a PS5 game.

Yes. Only question is if he's working on GOW2 or a new IP.

I hope he's working on a new IP. GoW was fantastic and a perfect reinvention of the series, but still SSM has been making pretty much nothing but GoW for 15 years and it's time for a shake-up. I'd love to see them work on an FPS.

Unless that new San Diego team is supporting on the new IP, it will be GoW2. No chance SSM would do the new IP instead of GoW2 and if they were doing both they'd be on a huge hiring spree.

If Cory is working on a new IP it will still be in pre-production for probably the next year or more, and it'll either go into full production when GoW2 is done or if SSM expands to the point where they can develop two games concurrently.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that sounds awful to be honest. Has there ever been a linear single player game which has taken so long to complete?!

Hard question to answer since the definition of linear single player game can be applied to games of vastly different types of genres, e.g SRPGs, certain specific RPGs.

Within the third person shooter/adventure sphere, I think RE4, TLOU and recently GoW come at the longer end of the spectrum. RE4 had a bit more bombastic pacing as well, contributing to a quicker completion time.

30 hours doesn't really concern me because I expect that to be the result of several things: a slower opening (it'll have action, but will take its time to establish several characters and the "event"), more sprawling combat with more dynamic elements resulting in each combat encounter necessarily lasting longer on average, and a slightly bigger focus on exploration, isolation and horror.

Mix in some potentially other playable characters (mystery lady? Joel? Dina?) and I think it's harder to keep TLOU2 the same length as TLOU without giving way to some essential aspect of the game.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I feel bad for Kojima. TLoU 2 destroyed the media lmao.

Can't wait to see that 96-97 MC score.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Death Stranding's still on track to be a very strong GOTY candidate. If there's a temporary victim out of this presentation, it has to be Concrete Genie. Barely two weeks until release and no previews, no fanfare.

Let's hope for some exposure during next week, though I'm not holding my breath for anything special.

EDIT: Ha, looking above, it's normal that some of us feel the same way. I think this is not how a release should be handled.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Death Stranding's still on track to be a very strong GOTY candidate. If there's a temporary victim out of this presentation, it has to be Concrete Genie. Barely two weeks until release and no previews, no fanfare.

Let's hope for some exposure during next week, though I'm not holding my breath for anything special.

EDIT: Ha, looking above, it's normal that some of us feel the same way. I think this is not how a release should be handled.
We got the (glowing) Concrete Genie previews already at end of July. Didn't realise it was that close though tbh, no doubt the marketing will ramp up during the next week and then the likely very positive reviews will hit.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
We got the (glowing) Concrete Genie previews already at end of July. Didn't realise it was that close though tbh, no doubt the marketing will ramp up during the next week and then the likely very positive reviews will hit.
That might well be their strategy. Though I wonder how their internal projections are looking, if they see it as a game where more exposure isn't going to lead to a significant change in its commercial luck. Medievil releases way later in the month and it's getting a bigger (not extraordinary by any means) push, with a demo and all. I still see a lot of people who have no idea what Concrete Genie is, while Medievil is a known quantity for many.

We'll see, it's a small project after all. A late marketing effort plus reviews could be enough to send a positive message, as you suggested.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
This wil end up being the biggest State of Play so far, and many tuned in just because Part II would be there, and they really couldnt bother to promote CG, a first party game that is less than two weeks away? One that supports both of their main platforms even?

Of course I'm not going to act like they dont know how to promote their own games and I do, especially in a year where without major conferences they got huge engagements for Death Stranding and Part II, but this particular case of Concrete Genie feels like a weird decision, that's all I'm saying

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.