• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
"Fresh new look" probably means they changed up the video format and presentation, very interested to see what they came up with.

Seems like they have taken the criticism from the previous SoPs seriously.

I hope they do it in more of a Nintendo Direct style of presentation if they do have people showing up on the stream, more than a inside xbox style.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully no more "spoiling" what game appears next. I like the surprise factor in these showcases.

Oh yeah! Didn't think about that but it would definitely improve the presentation.

I hope they do it in more of a Nintendo Direct style of presentation if they do have people showing up on the stream, more than a inside xbox style.

While that would be cool, I hope they come up with their own unique ideas instead. I'm actually hoping they have a few people from Media Molecule helping out with the format. They always seem to come up with quirky ideas.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Would be nice to see Tim Turi doing something on videos now that he works for PlayStation Social Media. Sid Shuman is a nice guy, but he lacks charisma, something that the people from PS Access has a lot for example.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
as long as it isn't just people live talking or sitting in some round table talking then I am fine

have the current SoP template then toss in a person between some sections like a Direct and we are golden

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, that's interesting what shinobi said. It could very well be that we are not getting any TLOU2 news in the SoP but a couple days later.
we could get a new trailer at SoP and then previews on friday

something similar happened in the first state of play. Right after the show, Sony hosted preview events that had Concrete Genie VR and Iron Man VR and we got previews for those games the following week

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even bother with the side content because i heard that they were bad. Although after thinking about it i think it's an 8/10 for me too lol
You made the right call. One of them is literally Spider-Man chasing some birds. Perhaps it is consistent with his character (Spider-Man would help anybody in need regardless of how small or big), but that doesn't make for engaging content on the player's part.

I think that stuff will be better next go round.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
hmm the state of play thread only has 7 pages so far. sony needs to do something to spark new excitement to these.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it is a State of Play around Outbreak Day (Outbreak Day is 2 days later). It won't be all about TLOU2. Which means I can still dream about a Demon's Souls Remastered announcement :)
We're preparing a pretty hefty show, weighing in at around 20 minutes and sporting a fresh new look. And we'll have some great news to share with you, including new game reveals, new content from PlayStation's Worldwide Studios, and a host of other updates. Should be fun!
Can't wait!

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
hmm the state of play thread only has 7 pages so far. sony needs to do something to spark new excitement to these.

They'll grow organically, I think, assuming that Sony delivers good content. I think the end of the generation was the wrong time to launch State of Play really, but I guess they can get a feel for what works and doesn't work before they go big with PS5.

The thing with Sony sometimes is that they don't fully commit to things; if they want State of Play to be a big deal like Nintendo Direct, then they need to make it their focus over press conference-style events moving forwards. (Although obviously the PS5 reveal should be live.)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They'll grow organically, I think, assuming that Sony delivers good content. I think the end of the generation was the wrong time to launch State of Play really, but I guess they can get a feel for what works and doesn't work before they go big with PS5.

The thing with Sony sometimes is that they don't fully commit to things; if they want State of Play to be a big deal like Nintendo Direct, then they need to make it their focus over press conference-style events moving forwards. (Although obviously the PS5 reveal should be live.)
Tbh I am still not sure if state of play format works for Sony.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There's really no reason it can't as long as they stick with it. Nintendo's success with the format wasn't built over night, but they committed to it.

I think the biggest issue is that Nintendo only does Direct's as they dropped conferences entirely. While Sony hasn't had a conference in over a year, as far as we know they're still going to do them. So they aren't going to pour everything they have into SoP's like Nintendo will with Direct's.

That said, now is the best chance for them to impress with SoP's since they aren't doing conferences at the moment. So they can show the big games that tehy have and that'll impress people. Realistically speaking, since they first started these people have wanted to see Part II.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

🤔

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
There's really no reason it can't as long as they stick with it. Nintendo's success with the format wasn't built over night, but they committed to it.
that is not my point.
a major part of a direct is the 3~5 minute long "deep dives" where they detail the game mechanics in an edited video and with a narrator, but obviously something like that wouldnt work for most of their games (i'd say it could work for death stranding). Their games work much better with either a 2 minute trailer or a 10 minute gameplay demo (you never see long gameplay cuts in a direct because those formats are about fast pace).

this is so meaningless
i am comparing it to previous state of play threads, the pace is slowing down, and not just on era, i think the engagement for state of play episodes by the community in general is going down. That is important because lower engagement means less numbers watching and hurts the reach of the state of play.
if they cant get to increase the viewer numbers, then they are better off going back to conferences.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that is not my point.
a major part of a direct is the 3~5 minute long "deep dives" where they detail the game mechanics in an edited video and with a narrator, but obviously something like that wouldnt work for most of their games (i'd say it could work for death stranding). Their games work much better with either a 2 minute trailer or a 10 minute gameplay demo (you never see long gameplay cuts in a direct because those formats are about fast pace).

i am comparing it to previous state of play threads, the pace is slowing down, and not just on era, i think the engagement for state of play episodes by the community in general is going down. That is important because lower engagement means less numbers watching and hurts the reach of the state of play.
if they cant get to increase the viewer numbers, then they are better off going back to conferences.
State of Plays are perfectly fine. I hope Sony will have 1 conference every year next gen and the rest is SoP. People who don't like them can watch the trailers afterwards on Youtube ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 25, 2017
that is not my point.

Unless Sony's games feature no gameplay systems and are just interactive movies, the bolded will work for all their games as well.

They have just chosen not to present their games in that light.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Quite a lot of Directs are average at best and snorefests at worst. There are of course ones they knock it out of the park but let's not pretend many low points do not exist.

I don't want sony to give up conferences. The energy of live conferences is something entirely different. No direct video format can match a good conference showing. Keep the State of play to bridge the gaps in between but still have a few major conferences every year = perfection

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Unless Sony's games feature no gameplay systems and are just interactive movies, the bolded will work for all their games as well.

They have just chosen not to present their games in that light.
and is that how people would like to see, for example the last of us part 2? i dont think a 4 minute narrated video explaining the gameplay mechanics would have got anywhere near the level of interest as the E3 2018 gameplay reveal. i really do think that different type of games need to be shown differently. Not all games benefit from that type of deep dive showcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.