• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll see more Fromsoftware and SIE collaborations in the future. Hopefully we get a Level-5 an SIE collaboration for Dark Cloud 3.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
I'm curious to see the new project of Masaaki Yamagiwa.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
You're gonna look very dumb when San Diego's new IP releases and it isn't Uncharted.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
If Sony drops the ball, and can't work out a deal with Miyazaki that's a huge loss IMO. Sony JPN could try doing BB2, but I highly doubt they have the capability to do what Fromsoftware does, no one really does.

C3qCSvMVMAIxFyw.jpg
I remember some folks hyping that photo. Then Deracine got announced...

I would love to see a sequel for Bloodborne. It's in top 3 of my all-time favorite games after all. But as already said the cost of a deal may be huge. I can see a scenario where Sony plays it safe and develop Souls IPs by themselves. For instance, Demon Souls Remake by Bluepoint could be the example of this strategy. As hardcore as it is Souls games tend to attract fans to the platform where those titles are exclusive, that may be crucial in early life of a console which needs to build an audience. Targeting hardcore gamers could boost the numbers of players at launch of Ps5. But will we be satisfied with only one exclusive Souls title?

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever you people ask for sequels of games like this or The Order I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Until Dawn was dreadful

What?

Until Dawn, unlike Order, was actually really good.

Let's not compare the two. Even from a studio perspective the two titles are so different. Until Dawn is Supermassives best game. Order is RADs worst.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Generally, when new consoles launch games are shown early.
Yeah, I was thinking it would be mentioned only by name, like "A talented new development team at Sony Worldwide Studios has begun development on the next title in the beloved Uncharted series, exclusively for PS5" or given a short, unrevealing CG teaser to give the PS5 reveal event some extra oomph

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I expect Sony to talk about it whenever their game is unveiled, don't really see a reason to talk about it earlier.

well, it depends. Assuming that they will indeed ship a big game like many are expecting, they will need to staff up. Finding talent in quality and quantity is one of the hardest aspects of development, and if your team is too much of a secret that can make things even more difficult. That's why we usually hear studio news around events like GDC because they usually have recruiters there in order to find talent

If they reveal it kinda far from launch (24+ months away) sure, I can see a studio reveal alongside the game, that could even help the recruiting process.

But if they want to reveal a game much closer to launch, which is something Sony has said they would rather do moving forward, I can see them revealing this team earlier than that

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
well, it depends. Assuming that they will indeed ship a big game like many are expecting, they will need to staff up. Finding talent in quality and quantity is one of the hardest aspects of development, and if your team is too much of a secret that can make things even more difficult. That's why we usually hear studio news around events like GDC because they usually have recruiters there in order to find talent

If they reveal it kinda far from launch (24+ months away) sure, I can see a studio reveal alongside the game, that could even help the recruiting process.

But if they want to reveal a game much closer to launch, which is something Sony has said they would rather do moving forward, I can see them revealing this team earlier than that
They can do Uncharted 4 reveal all over again: 2013 - teaser, 2014 - CGI reveal, 2015 - big gameplay reveal (yes, I know that the first reveal of gameplay was during PSX 2014).

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I remember when Insomniac leads were shouting from all rooftops how they were proud of their Independence in the Era boards, until that Sony money 💰 dropped

Sony to Insomniac was like

200w.webp

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming the new San Diego team is indeed working on Uncharted, just tease it at E3 next year along with God of War 2 and Spider-Man 2 for PS5. Sony can then sit back and count that pre-order money.

Aug 26, 2019
Assuming the new San Diego team is indeed working on Uncharted, just tease it at E3 next year along with God of War 2 and Spider-Man 2 for PS5. Sony can then sit back and count that pre-order money.
I doubt they show all their cards that early. I'm going with Horizon 2 and Spider-Man 2 as the two biggest reveals in 2020. GoW2, San Diego etc. come in 2021.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well that's settled and we never have to mention it again :D

Indie with a multimillion publishing deal and marketing budget...

Oh right Kojima :P

I bet he wouldnt be so happy about being independent and having to sign with a publisher that wouldnt afford his insane productions values and 30000 Hollywood actors for a singleplayer story driven game with no proeminent GaaS element where the main mechanic is managing how to traverse a barren world

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when Insomniac leads were shouting from all rooftops how they were proud of their Independence in the Era boards, until that Sony money 💰 dropped

Sony to Insomniac was like

200w.webp
Nah :P They already mentioned a year before that they were open for a possible acquisition if the partner is right.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Knack 2 is one of the better coop games so yeah, it was ok. Dont bother with 3 however. If you cant make great game after two tries, well.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Bloodborne was a saga of:
- Why would FROM ever do another exclusive with Sony after they hit the bank with Dark Souls?
- Bloodborne happened
- FROM said they were done with Souls-games for now ( Bloodborne is included in those ), why would Sony bother if they can't get Bloodborne 2?
- Deracine happened

Will Sony ever get another big AAA first-party collab with FROM? Who knows.

But the way I look at it - Sony is clearly interested in pursuing more opportunities with FROM, but they aren't the only one - and ultimately it's a question of how much leverage they can get for any particular opportunities available to them.

Gotta get in line to get the games you want.

Like - honestly? If you ask me, I wouldn't be surprised if a next SIE/FROM ends up being some sort of prototype one-off new IP that is basically Armored Core in all but name - and that FROM is using Sony's money to do their beta test of when they eventually intend to revive/reboot Armored Core for real. :P

Similar to how Deracine was basically an opportunity for FROM to test making a VR game, try out a new genre and familiarise themselves with UE4, an engine they never used before.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to sell FromSoftware short, but is it really that hard for a company as large, talented, and well funded as Sony, to produce something that's a replica of Bloodborne/Souls that's as good, if not better than it? Nioh is a worthy challenger to From's bread and butter, and it looks like Cygames is going to eat everyone's plate with Project Awakening. I think that Sony can craft a game internally that is every bit as good as the Soulsborne series that inspired it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Not to sell FromSoftware short, but is it really that hard for a company as large, talented, and well funded as Sony, to produce something that's a replica of Bloodborne/Souls that's as good, if not better than it? Nioh is a worthy challenger to From's bread and butter, and it looks like Cygames is going to eat everyone's plate with Project Awakening. I think that Sony can craft a game internally that is every bit as good as the Soulsborne series that inspired it.
Very unlikely. As good as NiOh's combat is, it's still noticeably worse than any Dark Souls game. From just has a touch and a vision that nobody else can recreate

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

The company doesn't actively go looking for studios, preferring instead to first have a history of working with any particular studio. He wants publisher and developer to have a strong relationship, along with having a successful IP. Acquisitions are mostly a formalization, he says. "It's not like we look at great games and developers and go, 'I want this company'. That is not how we approach."

shu is talking about the topic of acquisitions in this article, explaining that acquisitions will happen with studios that they have strong relationship, so i guess Remedy is a no until they make an exclusive together.

Personally I think that it is a mistake, it just limits the potential options, meanwhile MS have acquired studios that they do not have strong ties with. Also in the case of remedy, if they end up releasing a successful exclusive with Sony, all that waiting around the acquisition will do is increase the price of the acquisition.

Last edited:

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very unlikely. As good as NiOh's combat is, it's still noticeably worse than any Dark Souls game. From just has a touch and a vision that nobody else can recreate
If Capcom could nail their level design, I think they'd easily eclipse FromSoftware. Mechanically, Capcom's action games are far beyond From's. I'll wait to see Project Awakening further but much like Capcom, Team Ninja stumbles in level design. If they nail that, I think they'll be recognized as being in the same class as FromSoftware. Also Nioh > Dark Souls 2.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If Capcom could nail their level design, I think they'd easily eclipse FromSoftware. Mechanically, Capcom's action games are far beyond From's. I'll wait to see Project Awakening further but much like Capcom, Team Ninja stumbles in level design. If they nail that, I think they'll be recognized as being in the same class as FromSoftware. Also Nioh > Dark Souls 2.
Not gonna lie, I forgot about DS2 when I made that comment lol

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Personally, There's always the possibility but it's incredibly difficult. Fromsoftware games are great because it excels in nearly every aspect. Nioh's combat is better than Souls in my view but it's worse in a lot of different areas with encounters and level design which make a huge part of the experience. Within the time Souls gained popularity, there's been plenty of games who are clearly inspired but never reach the same quality. Fromsoftware is also just out of the world when it comes to enemy diversity and boss fights as well. It's kind of like Monster Hunter in a way where we've seen plenty of games inspired by it even with Sony having partnerships to create similar experiences but not quite reaching the same levels.

But also again for Sony, who they're going to ask to make such a game which could potentially compete in terms of quality even if they have the resources? Sony Japan haven't exactly made much good combat focused games in a long while that didn't involve Fromsoftware. There's always the possibility but I think the odds are stacked against them. I would be pretty blown away if they ever did.

Cygames can be potentially interesting to watch but it's not like they've released an actual big budget console game yet so hard to say the kind of quality expectations. Still waiting on Re:link which was still really one of my anticipated games.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, There's always the possibility but it's incredibly difficult. Fromsoftware games are great because it excels in nearly every aspect. Nioh's combat is better than Souls in my view but it's worse in a lot of different areas with encounters and level design which make a huge part of the experience. Within the time Souls gained popularity, there's been plenty of games who are clearly inspired but never reach the same quality. Fromsoftware is also just out of the world when it comes to enemy diversity and boss fights as well. It's kind of like Monster Hunter in a way where we've seen plenty of games inspired by it even with Sony having partnerships to create similar experiences but not quite reaching the same levels.

But also again for Sony, who they're going to ask to make such a game which could potentially compete in terms of quality even if they have the resources? Sony Japan haven't exactly made much good combat focused games in a long while that didn't involve Fromsoftware.

Cygames can be potentially interesting to watch but it's not like they've released an actual big budget console game yet so hard to say the kind of quality expectations. Still waiting on Re:link which was still really one of my anticipated games.
I agree with you concerning enemy design, diversity, and boss fights. I think their ability to create interwoven worlds is unmatched thus far. I think a Dragon's Dogma 2 that really builds upon the premise and potential of the first game with an expanded story, richer mythology, better characters, a living world, larger variety of weapons, and more outlandish enemy design would be received as well as any Souls game and force FromSoftware to retool their combat. Tangentially, I love HZD, and believe it has all the potential in the world for a sequel, but I have to say that Dragon's Dogma is a series with as much potential yet no one really mentions how great it could be if given another go.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

shu is talking about the topic of acquisitions in this article, explaining that acquisitions will happen with studios that they have strong relationship, so i guess Remedy is a no until they make an exclusive together.

Personally I think that it is a mistake, it just limits the potential options, meanwhile MS have acquired studios that they do not have strong ties with. Also in the case of remedy, if they end up releasing a successful exclusive with Sony, all that waiting around the acquisition will do is increase the price of the acquisition.
That puts Housemarque and Bluepoint at the top of the list. Ready at Dawn is a ? since we don't know what their next game is.

Oct 25, 2017
From that interview:
You might have heard about rumours regarding a Legend of Dragoon remake. It isn't in the works now from what we know, and Yoshida himself hasn't heard of it. It segues into Yoshida talking about how hard making remakes and remasters can be. While a remaster can be as simple as graphical improvements and button assignments, remakes are of course, a whole different beast, as we can see with Final Fantasy VII Remake. "We could do a quick remaster, but people can see it (if it's a quick job), and everyone will be disappointed." The Legend of Dragoon was previously on four discs as well, so it would be a fairly difficult task.

Yoshida mentions he often gets asked about a Legend of Dragoon remaster. He does think he'd like to do a remaster of a game he was most involved in, so it would be interesting.
So people who were hoping for Legend of Dragoon, all hope is not lost.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Knack 2 wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough either to justify it's existence. It sold poorly too despite being a solid game since the IP has such low appeal. Honestly, Sony should have known better than to make a sequel to a game that only got copies moved by being a launch title and generally reviewed poorly.

It probably was cheaper to make I bet rather than starting on a new IP, but the time wasted on the series this gen by Japan Studio was a major setback for them IMO

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Ñ

But also again for Sony, who they're going to ask to make such a game which could potentially compete in terms of quality even if they have the resources? Sony Japan haven't exactly made much good combat focused games in a long while that didn't involve Fromsoftware. There's always the possibility but I think the odds are stacked against them. I would be pretty blown away if they ever did.

And how about hiring Miyazaki and make a new team?

Status
Not open for further replies.