• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Morgan-Freeman-talks-Obama.jpg

How foolish to get rid of a studio creating a genre that no one else in your studios could make

Now Twisted Metal X MotorStorm will never be a thing
When they closed down Liverpool, my first thought was "well, they still have Evolution for Wipeout"

Completely dumb decision to close down the two studios that make games nobody else in the market is doing.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
exactly
now they have no arcade racing studio

it is so stupid on their part and was so short sighted
But $$$?

And Arcade racers outside of Forza horizon aren't even selling like that?

Is Nintendo still making F-Zero? Come on' ppl, those are games that don't fit today's landscape outside of a very small team.

I do agree Sony should have a dev group that works in old IP though. But there's no way we can surmise closing those studios was shortsighted from our vantage point.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
But $$$?

Is Nintendo still making F-Zero? Come on' ppl, those are games that don't fit today's landscape outside of a very small team.

I do agree Sony should have a dev group that works in old IP though. But there's no way we can surmise closing those studios was shortsighted from our vantage point.
If there's a market for Forza Horizon on Xbox, there's a market for a "Gran Turismo World" on PS4. Wipeout, fair enough they were never big sellers but it was still an iconic PlayStation franchise.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
exactly
now they have no arcade racing studio

it is so stupid on their part and was so short sighted
Sony's AAA "arcade" racing games weren't really selling. And Evolution Studio's last game was a mess a launch. As sad as it is and sounds, the closure made absolutely sense. So it's the absolute opposite of "short sighted". The can contract small AA studios for arcade racing games like Wipeout or Rollcage.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If there's a market for Forza Horizon on Xbox, there's a market for a "Gran Turismo World" on PS4.

I genuinely believe that Polyphony Digital won't allow it. They could have easily rebranded Evolution Studios as Polyphony Digital UK or something, and both branches could have collaborated on the franchise.

I just don't think Kaz will allow it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I genuinely believe that Polyphony Digital won't allow it. They could have easily rebranded Evolution Studios as Polyphony Digital UK or something, and both branches could have collaborated on the franchise.

I just don't think Kaz will allow it.
Remove the Gran Turismo branding then, it was just an example :P

But still, what could Kaz do? Refuse to make the next GT?

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Remove the Gran Turismo branding then, it was just an example :P

But still, what could Kaz do? Refuse to make the next GT?

Well the Gran Turismo branding with its name alone would have been a big sales boost compared to a new IP/Name.

However given his long history with Sony, Kaz has obviously a strong reputation, which is why i could imagine that his word has a strong weight & didn't want another studio use the name of his franchise. The same way Naughty Dog denied that Uncharted Game for Bend iirc

Oct 25, 2017
Polyphony went from being top dogs in terms of Sony big IPs to... where ever they are on the lower rungs of the ladder now. I feel like their relative failure this gen is easily ignored because Sony's got new IPs doing what GT used to do.

And I miss Evolution but I understand why Sony closed em. Cambridge though? Ugh.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I get the impression he has a lot of sway within SIE.

Besides, I know people point to Forza Horizon and Mario Kart, but I really think the arcade racing genre is dead.
I'd say it's a bit of a chicken / egg situation. Is the genre dead because people are not interested on it, or do people not buy it because companies are afraid of giving them a budget, resulting in them being pretty bad? It's not like we don't have Ubisoft and EA trying to go after FH's market in PS4, the main problem is that those games suck ass. CTR seems to be doing great, for example.

Well the Gran Turismo branding with its name alone would have been a big sales boost compared to a new IP/Name.

However given his long history with Sony, Kaz has obviously a strong reputation, which is why i could imagine that his word has a strong weight & didn't want another studio use the name of his franchise. The same way Naughty Dog denied that Uncharted Game for Bend iirc
Bend did make an Uncharted game

uncharted-golden-abyss-ps-vita-nuevo-D_NQ_NP_831108-MLM25763071734_072017-F.jpg

Seeing how it was received they had their reasons to not trust them.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
ooops wanted to edit but I accidentally double posted

my apologies

But $$$?

Sony's AAA "arcade" racing games weren't really selling. And Evolution Studio's last game was a mess a launch. As sad as it is and sounds, the closure made absolutely sense. So it's the absolute opposite of "short sighted". The can contract small AA studios for arcade racing games like Wipeout or Rollcage.
well it doesn't need to be AAA but a arcade racer none the less they can at least make per gen like MotorStorm, etc..

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's a bit of a chicken / egg situation. Is the genre dead because people are not interested on it, or do people not buy it because companies are afraid of giving them a budget, resulting in them being pretty bad? It's not like we don't have Ubisoft and EA trying to go after FH's market in PS4, the main problem is that those games suck ass. CTR seems to be doing great, for example.

Bend did make an Uncharted game

uncharted-golden-abyss-ps-vita-nuevo-D_NQ_NP_831108-MLM25763071734_072017-F.jpg

Seeing how it was received they had their reasons to not trust them.
Shocked this never got ported to ps4.

Actually wish Sony would port a lot of vita games to ps4.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are peoples' sales expectations for Concrete Genie? I feel like it has an equal chance of being a sleeper hit and just getting lost in the fall shuffle.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
What are peoples' sales expectations for Concrete Genie? I feel like it has an equal chance of being a sleeper hit and just getting lost in the fall shuffle.
Doesn't feel like there's much buzz around it, but I doubt Sony is expecting it to have amazing sales, so Sony should be happy with how it does. Under a million units, but that's fine.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Although I was kinda hoping for a reset the horde option for the map, rather than redo the entire story. I would love to tackle the sawmill horde with different tactics, trap layouts etc over and over.

Also hope there's more of the sawmill type hordes in the sequel. That was very fun game time. PS5 should give the power needed.
Hoping for some different typea of hordes. Crows were the only other freaker type to get nests. Just picture a crow horde that is flying around.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will Aloy ride a dragon in Horizon 2 and become the Mother of Dragons where she fucks up civilisation and become the bad guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.