• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
So, The Last of Us Part II today or what

20HhXWl.gif

Feb 26, 2018
I'd love for Sony to build in a level of consistency and expectation for a bulk or regulatory of their AA games to be at the level of Ratchet, SOTC, Gravity Rush 2, Concrete, etc.

Right now I feel like those range of games are way more volatile and inconsistent in how they mix into the portfolio.
IMO it all depends on the quality. Lots of smaller games from Sony are pretty mediocre or bad. If they start making them consistently good than people will follow.
I think more of the problem is what genres they are making. They should take from Nintendo book and do some more stuff like Astral Chain/FE etc

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for Sony to build in a level of consistency and expectation for a bulk or regulatory of their AA games to be at the level of Ratchet, SOTC, Gravity Rush 2, Concrete, etc.

Right now I feel like those range of games are way more volatile and inconsistent in how they mix into the portfolio.

Thing about R&C is that it can fall into the smaller group or AAA so i think it depends on the game for R&C.

IMO it all depends on the quality. Lots of smaller games from Sony are pretty mediocre or bad. If they start making them consistently good than people will follow.
I think more of the problem is what genres they are making. They should take from Nintendo book and do some more stuff like Astral Chain/FE etc

I think for the smaller group Sony don't have the devs for it .
Most of there teams make AAA games and smaller games get done by by outside teams and they don't build on them .
They make stuff like UD , everybody's golf etc etc but take to long to bring them out and not often .
Plus they have VR that also eating into that .

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

i think the solution is to grow their most successful studios. ND, SSM, PD (especially to make GT faster) and GG needs to be larger and make 1-2 AAA experiences a gen and 1-2 AA experiences.

AA is coming back though so hopefully that's the case. I think the quality has been improving. Ape Escape and Ratchet should be proven AA titles that will feel as polished as the big boys.

Oh and for the record I even made a thread entitled "Sony needs more Evergreen Games". It's why Nintendo can sell ports for $60. They have classic gameplay experience under those IP. Socom, Ape Escape, Ratchet, etc...needs to be one of these every gen with new gameplay loops.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
They should take from Nintendo book and do some more stuff like Astral Chain/FE etc

As much as I/we want that, in reality, will they really going for that?

My faith for Japan Asia side is currently low, and even the rumors of the new Ape Escape I would consider sarcastically & pessimistically for Mobile.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
i think the solution is to grow their most successful studios. ND, SSM, PD (especially to make GT faster) and GG needs to be larger and make 1-2 AAA experiences a gen and 1-2 AA experiences.

AA is coming back though so hopefully that's the case. I think the quality has been improving. Ape Escape and Ratchet should be proven AA titles that will feel as polished as the big boys.

Oh and for the record I even made a thread entitled "Sony needs more Evergreen Games". It's why Nintendo can sell ports for $60. They have classic gameplay experience under those IP. Socom, Ape Escape, Ratchet, etc...needs to be one of these every gen with new gameplay loops.

Thing is if i am Sony i don't want ND , SSM, GG etc etc making AA games .
Right now all of them growing but you can be certain it's for there AAA games to come out faster .
Putting them on AA not going to be worth the ROI for Sony .

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Right now all of them growing but you can be certain it's for there AAA games to come out faster .
How is making an internal game like P5 not going to make a ROI?

The same AAA quality needs to be in Sony's smaller games. And they could probably sell them for $50 instead of $40 if the quality is there.

For example I love Dreams but theirs ZERO reasons LBP should have been outsourced after LbP2. Make the game 60fps, focus on the gameplay loop instead of UGC. Like Mario Maker is literally LBP4 lol, and a much better game because Ninty focuses so much attention on gameplay loops.

PS got Kojima so there's hope. But that gameplay first DNA needs to be in more studios. Bend has if too so I'm excited for DG2

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
How is making an internal game like P5 not going to make a ROI?

The same AAA quality needs to be in Sony's smaller games. And they could probably sell them for $50 instead of $40 if the quality is there.

Making a internal game like P5 is okay .
ND making a game like P5 is another matter all together since they could be working on a new IP or sequel .
P5 sales are noting compare to how ND games sell now.
With games taking longer you want you big devs bringing out there AAA games as fast as possible.

EDIT LBP had to be outsourced since MM wanted to move on .
Which other internal team could they have given it to ?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Yup, unless it's something like Lost Legacy, where you're just tapping into game systems, mechanics and assets that you already have in hand to slap together a game as a refresher, I doubt we'll see these studios working on smaller stuff.

I think Sony needs an AA factory, they have just way too much untapped potential in dormant IPs, and it would contribute to the platform having a good steady flow of releases through the year. That's definitely something you'll want if you're aiming to grow subscription services like PS Now. It also creates an environment where they can explore game design that might be aimed at publics outside of the core PS demographic in a more consistent way - we know there's a market for the $40 game.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, why the hell is Days Gone still so expensive?! I'm pretty sure it hasn't shifted below £50 here in the UK since launch. I was going to pick it up today (in a physical shop) to spend a bit of birthday money but I haven't paid the full £50 for a new release in years.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Making a internal game like P5 is okay .
ND making a game like P5 is another matter all together since they could be working on a new IP or sequel .
P5 sales are noting compare to how ND games sell now.
With games taking longer you want you big devs bringing out there AAA games as fast as possible.

EDIT LBP had to be outsourced since MM wanted to move on .
Which other internal team could they have given it to ?
That's my point, when you strike gold like you did with LBP, you iterate on it. If the team wanted to try something new they should have increased MM to a two-game studio. That IP is so ridiculous in potential, it even has mascot and apparel appeal.

stryke ??

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That's my point, when you strike gold like you did with LBP, you iterate on it. If the team wanted to try something new they should have increased MM to a two-game studio. That IP is so ridiculous in potential, it even has mascot and apparel appeal.
Or maybe just don't force studios to do the things they don't want.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

If i remember right MM wanted to stay small .
I agree they should open another small studio and have them work on it .

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

well, its self-published

even on the article you brought up, Chahi says:
"I'm not in any way dependent on a publisher, Part of it is Paper Beast, part Sony, and part of it State of France. "

Sony's support is through programs like pub-fund

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Man, why the hell is Days Gone still so expensive?! I'm pretty sure it hasn't shifted below £50 here in the UK since launch. I was going to pick it up today (in a physical shop) to spend a bit of birthday money but I haven't paid the full £50 for a new release in years.
I bought the special edition steelbook from shopto for 33 quid 2 months ago

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I got it on PSN store for €45 in July. So thats probably about £38

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Have to say, I'm really disappointed the TGS trailer for Ghosts is going to be the same one they showed last year. I guess I understand they don't want to spend the time cutting a new trailer and maybe it's selfish (actually, it is quite selfish), but I would have preferred they kept silent until they had something to new to show.

I have absolute trust in SP, they haven't let me down yet, but it sucks we might go the entirety of this year without a single shred of new footage from the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the special edition steelbook from shopto for 33 quid 2 months ago
I got it on PSN store for €45 in July. So thats probably about £38

Thanks guys but I mean physically buying it in a shop. I've got birthday cash in my wallet I'm looking to spend, so I was hoping by now it would have been reduced in a high street store.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
New Game+ coming to Days Gone next week!

Nice! Although I was kinda hoping for a reset the horde option for the map, rather than redo the entire story. I would love to tackle the sawmill horde with different tactics, trap layouts etc over and over.

Also hope there's more of the sawmill type hordes in the sequel. That was very fun game time. PS5 should give the power needed.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Have they said if Days Gone will get a DLC like The Frozen Wilds? The game is pretty cheap on Amazon so I might get it, but if they release an updated version with all the content on the disc I'd hate to miss it.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Tbf obsessing is never healthy, because you can easily start to hate what you used to love.
That's why we need a constant internal check on our impulses to guide us. With that it becomes easy.
So I make a conscious decision to not dwell on things I don't love. Which gives me more time to admire the things I do love! Seems like a better choice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.