• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I could see Bluepoint if Sony wanted to bring back old IPs, assuming BP still wants to dedicate themselves to remakes and not creating their own games.

Housemarque new AAA game is supposedly for Sony right? Considering they had a good relationship this gen I think that one might be a possibility.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
So what do we think about death stranding gameplay? I was very underwhelmed and thought that whole show was a waste of time. Getting really tired of Kojima's Antics and I can see this game being a huge flop and huge mistake for Sony. Hopefully they impress me at Tokyo game show but I think I'm gonna buy control over this game because it's just not looking bright for death stranding
Something isn't right

agreed. Tlou2 is not gonna top Spider-Man's numbers. People over estimate tlou so much in terms of popularity. Like dude, yeah it sold nearly 20 million but that was after TWO releases.. cmon. It's not tipping Spider-Man.

That being said, what a HUGE WIN for Sony acquiring Insomniac Games! That completely stole that boring gamescom show for me! Who do we think is next?! I think bluepoint will be but can we even expect any more acquisitions? I hope so because I still feel like Sony need at least two more good studios. I say bluepoint and remedy. But are more acquisitions even being talked about? Can we expect more this year or what?
Don't know if this year... but ZhugeEx did say on Twitter that Sony were looking into other acquisitions. So... take it as you will.
I could see Bluepoint if Sony wanted to bring back old IPs, assuming BP still wants to dedicate themselves to remakes and not creating their own games.

Housemarque new AAA game is supposedly for Sony right? Considering they had a good relationship this gen I think that one might be a possibility.
They want to do both: new remakes and new IPs.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I said it on the other thread but does anyone remember this "V" trademarks?
ya5wvcF.png

It has nothing to do with Sony, its a Vodafone trademark...

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Man that short piece of Ludvig track in the mama cutscene.

I have a feeling that the Death Stranding score will be something special.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
It is depressing that Dreams still doesn't have a release date..... I think a delay into 2020 is guaranteed at this point

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
It is depressing that Dreams still doesn't have a release date..... I think a delay into 2020 is guaranteed at this point
They wanted to have multiplayer and VR available at launch. Don't forget that Mm are also a small team (like smaller before than Bend before their expansion) and they also need to finish their singleplayer story mode. I assume that they are also waiting to accumulate even more Dreams made by the community so there isn't a drought of great content when the game finally launches.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
They wanted to have multiplayer and VR available at launch. Don't forget that Mm are also a small team (like smaller before than Bend before their expansion) and they also need to finish their singleplayer story mode. I assume that they are also waiting to accumulate even more Dreams made by the community so there isn't a drought of great content when the game finally launches.

I thought the reason they went into EA was because their single player was finished and they were refining the creation tool portion? They even said the game would release "shortly" after the EA version was up. Not only that, but they actually hired a small team to create games for the community.

Everything says that the game should be nearly ready, but the lack of a release date is puzzling. It could be a strategic delay for Sony as they think the Q4 period is too crowded, but the Q1 period of 2020 isn't any better. So I think the holiday season is the best time for a game like this.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Forwardworks seems to be treated a lot like Sony Online Entertainment was. They're technically owned by Sony, but are treated separately from their WWS. If you look at Sony WWS website they don't list Forward Works on it.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
I'm really interested in seeing what comes of the supposed team in San Diego making a new Uncharted game. I believe it's true because no fucking way is Sony letting a franchise that had their last game sell 10 million sleep, but the quality of level quality is going to have to be immense. Hope that Naught Dog oversee the studio and make sure they don't fuck it up. But the thought of a studio being made just to handle a single franchise is sad, hopefully the team use Uncharted to establish themselves and move onto something new of their own.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i imagine insomniac's lineup of games look something like this (other than the VR titles that are probably going to be new IP/ports to PSVR and their release schedule are too unpredictable):
new ratchet (if its actually a PS4 game it will release in the summer/be cross gen)

spiderman 2 (around september 2021, 3 years after, spiderman 1 full development took 2 years according to insomniac and a sequel means less pre production time)

new ip by ratchet team (2022/2023, might be more if new ip)

spiderman 3 (after that spiderman games on hold probably) (fall 2024, same reasoning as Spiderman 2)

sequel to the new ip/more ratchet depending on the success of the new IP
after that who knows, maybe spiderman team will tackle another Marvel IP, or a new IP.

this is a very strong output imo. of course stuff could go wrong in development and delays to take place but insomniac have been one of the best studios in terms of development time efficiency (and at the same time, minimal crunch! even jason schreier corroborated that)

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Forwardworks seems to be treated a lot like Sony Online Entertainment was. They're technically owned by Sony, but are treated separately from their WWS. If you look at Sony WWS website they don't list Forward Works on it.
Because it isn't. I think (really not sure) Forwardworks used to be known as Sony Mobile Games division for a while or something like that. 🤔

Oct 27, 2017
I see there still some jobs opening for Manchester Studio so that's definitly a thing, but out of curiosity, did we find anyone on Twitter or LinkedIn mentioning working there ? You know, just like Quentin Cobb for San Diego (allegedly) second team/studio.

MocroMo

Jun 4, 2019

They are looking to acquire more studios whether people like it or not, with Microsoft growing their first party, Google and Amazon entering the gaming market, this is just the beginning and Sony knows it.

Even Matt seemed to imply that there's more to come

Hmmm it's certainly possible. But I believe they are confident enough with their game studios. I do see them fund exclusives created by 3rd party studios such as remedy. Just to be clear I would like them to acquire more studios such like Housemarque or bluepoint.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
As far as future purchases go, it's worth pointing out that Insomniac continues Sony's trend of only acquiring studios that they have development relationships with

Naughty Dog - Acquired after Crash
Sucker Punch - Acquired after Sly
Media Molecule - Acquired after LittleBigPlanet
Guerrilla - Acquired after Killzone
Bend - Acquired after Syphon Filter

And so on. While it's always possible that they could do something else, historically at least they acquire studios once they know they have a good development relationship with them.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Surprised people act so dumbfounded about sony publishing games on PC and expect they will do it with their blockbusters. They will never do that, it is quite literally the only reason they are on top right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised people act so dumbfounded about sony publishing games on PC and expect they will do it with their blockbusters. They will never do that, it is quite literally the only reason they are on top right now.
I am not surprised people ignored the rest of Shawn's statement and zoomed in on what they wanted to.

That is the Era/internet way.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in seeing what comes of the supposed team in San Diego making a new Uncharted game. I believe it's true because no fucking way is Sony letting a franchise that had their last game sell 10 million sleep, but the quality of level quality is going to have to be immense.
I'm more interested in the studio name of that team than their first game :P I mean, is it Naughty Dog's second studio (so just Naughty Dog)? Is it a second AAA team for Sony San Diego Studio (so just San Diego Studio)? Will it just be a team under the Visual Arts Services Group brand (kinda lame name for a dev studio)? Or are they going to get their own brandnew studio name? It's time for Q-Train to spill the beans :P
I know we have to wait until they reveal their PS5 game.
Naughty Diego confirmed!!!!!!!1

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine that he was a driving force between the Oculus and Insomniac partnership for VR. They put out some great games on that system (and even have/had one coming out later this year) so I do wonder how Oculus feel about losing one of their premier developers.

There's also the factor with how close Insomniac and Naughty Dog were during the Playstation 1 and 2 era. Having offices next door to each other at the Universal backlot initially.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

A new trailer for the excellent-looking Mutazione just got uploaded. I think this might be a Sony pub fund game, if they're still doing those.

That music reminds me of the ending instrumental songs for ATLA and Korra.

Man that short piece of Ludvig track in the mama cutscene.

I have a feeling that the Death Stranding score will be something special.
Yeah.

Yep.

Oct 26, 2018
Wonder if insomniacs second team will be regulated to more AA stuff, similar to the last ratchet and clank

Also, it's funny that insomniac didn't do sunset overdrive with Sony because they wanted to own the ip, but Sony ended up owning it anyway

Q-Train

Designer at Zenimax Online
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
I'm more interested in the studio name of that team than their first game :P I mean, is it Naughty Dog's second studio (so just Naughty Dog)? Is it a second AAA team for Sony San Diego Studio (so just San Diego Studio)? Will it just be a team under the Visual Arts Services Group brand (kinda lame name for a dev studio)? Or are they going to get their own brandnew studio name? It's time for Q-Train to spill the beans :P
I know we have to wait until they reveal their PS5 game.
Naughty Diego confirmed!!!!!!!1

Sorry, no bean spilling here. I like my job.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

It won't because the deal between SIE and Marvel had nothing to do with Sony Pictures and the Marvel. Insomniac tried to repeatedly tell people this when they announced the game. But some convinced themselves that the only reason it was exclusive was because Sony holds the movie license to Spider-Man. But those are unrelated.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
It won't because the deal between SIE and Marvel had nothing to do with Sony Pictures and the Marvel. Insomniac tried to repeatedly tell people this when they announced the game. But some convinced themselves that the only reason it was exclusive was because Sony holds the movie license to Spider-Man. But those are unrelated.
I know, probably there's already a contract for 2-3 games. But, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.