• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It's apple and oranges for both tbh. Both IPs are pretty powerful in their own right - I'd honestly consider them having the same level of potential.

TLOU may have sold more than any Halo game, but it's across 2 SKUs, and a very long tail.
Halo at its peak sold less than TLOU, but it was single-SKU, and it achieved much of its LTD sales within the first year of its release.
The geographic spread of both those games are also pretty different. Halo is very US-centric with 40-50% of its sales coming from one region alone, with Halo 3 still being far and away one of the best NPD debuts ever at 3.3 mil, whereas TLOU PS3;d debut month didn't even crack 1 mil in US.

Sure, Halo has not had its best years and that has contributed to an IP decline. But if I look at raw Halo metrics, in spite of the decline, there are still a lot of IP adoration/nostalgia/love for it. It's a weakened IP, but I don't think it's tainted, if you get what I mean. Similar to God of War, that IP was weakened after Ascension, but an amazing reinvention in GoW 2018 and the IP is now 2x larger than it ever was.
Halo could pull a GOW reboot that is a fantastic reboot that boosts its popularity but I don't see that bringing it back to its peak levels. Unlike GOW Halo has way more competition in shooters. Call of Duty is as strong as ever and now it has competition from other shooting genres like battle royale.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
death stranding-console exclusive.
that being said, Do u guys recommended PSVR? I only have a regular ps4 not a pro. I've used it before at an arcade to play the resident evil VR and it was pretty blurry. But it seems I'm missing out on good first party games not havingVr. What u think?

Who is PDP? Never heard of it

PewDiePie. His TLOU playthrough has roughly 120 Million Views.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
death stranding-console exclusive.
that being said, Do u guys recommended PSVR? I only have a regular ps4 not a pro. I've used it before at an arcade to play the resident evil VR and it was pretty blurry. But it seems I'm missing out on good first party games not havingVr. What u think?

REVII is the worst offender in terms of IQ I played on my PSVR and in my opinion the immersion completely compensate it.
PSVR with OG/Slim its a great experience.
And yes you are totally missing not only some great 1P games but also some really good 3P games.
I've played so far 24 games this year, 11 of them were on PSVR.
I'm having tons of fun with it.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
First time I have ventured into this thread...

Are we looking at a fairly busy first party line up in Q4?

• Concrete Genie — 8th of October
  • MediEvil — 25th of October
  • Death Stranding — 8th of November
  • Shenmue III — 19th of November (console exclusive)
  • Iron Man VR — December (?)

I have already pre-ordered a physical copy of MediEvil (for £20!), and I am keen on all four of those remaining games. On top of this, there's Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch, and... nothing of note on the Xbox One, for me personally.

My wallet is going to be feeling rather light by the end of this year!
How'd you manage to get it for 20 quid mate?

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If socom cape back, what could it offer vs the other MP titles currently out?

Best part of the job

Well my opinion... I think it would be pretty unique. it's a round based tactical shooter experience that we don't really have on console. Siege is much smaller in scope and scale than socom, If anything its kind of like one of socom's many game modes (Breach). I know there are a lot of shooters to compete with, but the direction/gameplay/design of Socom 1 & 2 really was something different. It was sort of like a counter strike for console experience that blended just enough arcadey gameplay into it to make it great for consoles.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Socom could never come back and be as popular as it once was. It could be true to the originals and feel extremely outdated or different which would cause old fans to riot.

It's not like those games reviewed very well anyway and for a comeback it'd have to get very good reviews.

If they did bring it back it should be very hardcore though and no easy gameplay modes.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Socom could never come back and be as popular as it once was. It could be true to the originals and feel extremely outdated or different which would cause old fans to riot.

It's not like those games reviewed very well anyway and for a comeback it'd have to get very good reviews.

If they did bring it back it should be very hardcore though and no easy gameplay modes.

SOCOM trilogy on PS2 scored between 82 and 87, much worse SOCOM Confrontation and SOCOM 4 which scored between 63 and 67; Sony must return to SOCOM's roots in order to succeed on PS5 and they could have a real online gem in their hands.

Jul 15, 2019

Resistance did. Bring resistance back.

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's more than enough room in the shooter market for SOCOM to make a comeback.

What ever happened with that early access game that some of the old Zipper team was making? Is that still a thing? It had some really stupid name, I dunno

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's more than enough room in the shooter market for SOCOM to make a comeback.

What ever happened with that early access game that some of the old Zipper team was making? Is that still a thing? It had some really stupid name, I dunno

I miss MAG something fierce. I'd even give up my dream of a new KZ if it meant we could have it back.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I wish Sony was like Nintendo in that they publish all software numbers.
Same but in this sector, I guess, only Nintendo is as transparent
We could argue that Sony is more than just a videogame company so they don't care to publish these numbers but companies like EA or Ubisoft are not as transparent

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

You mean H-Hour? Lmao, yeah I'd give up on that. The last few blog posts the devs posted about coming to terms with console development killed all enthusiasm I had for the PS4 version.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOCOM trilogy on PS2 scored between 82 and 87, much worse SOCOM Confrontation and SOCOM 4 which scored between 63 and 67; Sony must return to SOCOM's roots in order to succeed on PS5 and they could have a real online gem in their hands.

Yeah, socom 1 and 2 actually offered unique tactical experiences that aren't really available on consoles. Socom Confrontation tried to go back to that, but it was just a bug riddled mess. It felt like an amateur project =\. A legit return to those roots would be incredible on ps5.

Oct 31, 2017

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I hope next month we get Ape Escape and Siren news. Put Outbreak Day in the mix with a new TLOU trailer and it would make for a great month of updates.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
You know what, I think I'll do it! It'd be a cool first one. Chris Metal, I'll touch base with you on graphics!

So... how DO you claim one? Who am I supposed to contact? xD
That is awesome :D
You need to claim it in this thread.
www.resetera.com

The |OT| |OT|: Index, Volunteer, Coordinate, & Collaborate [Read OP!] OT

The index is up-to-date as of post #4440 on March 6, 2024 The latest update to the index was made 2024-03-06 17:58:55 Europe/Amsterdam ago. (all claims posted are valid whether they're listed in the index or not, as long as they adhere to the criteria outlined below) Skip to the Claim Index...

Also you did not tag Chris Metal in your reply :P

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
First time I have ventured into this thread...

Are we looking at a fairly busy first party line up in Q4?

• Concrete Genie — 8th of October
  • MediEvil — 25th of October
  • Death Stranding — 8th of November
  • Shenmue III — 19th of November (console exclusive)
  • Iron Man VR — December (?)

I have already pre-ordered a physical copy of MediEvil (for £20!), and I am keen on all four of those remaining games. On top of this, there's Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch, and... nothing of note on the Xbox One, for me personally.

My wallet is going to be feeling rather light by the end of this year!
Shenmue 3 isn't first-party. Definitely a busy Q4, though. Two smaller niche games and the big boy Death Stranding.

Oct 25, 2017
I know which studio I trust more and which game I'm looking forward to more, but I wouldn't doubt for a second that Halo is a bigger IP than TLOU. Can't say I've ever seen considered the possibility that it wasn't.

TLOU sold 17m copies across 2 SKUs, and the PS4 version launched during the "PS4 has no gamez" drought.

The last sales figures MS reported on Halo 3 were 14.5m copies sold by 2012, so about 5 years after release.

Then take further into consideration that Xbox took a massive downturn this gen, yeah, it doesn't look like Halo is as big as it used to be, but if XB1 had sold in line with expectations going into the gen, the sales figures would've been monstrous for Halo 5. The hype is absolutely palpable for Infinite now, especially with MCC coming to PC, so that bodes well for Infinite.

I doubt we'll get sales figures next gen though, because of Game Pass. MS claims it doesn't hurt sales, but I don't think they're being totally forthcoming about what the data tells them. No doubt it'll do well on steam and the MAU figures will be huge, but I doubt it beats TLOU II at retail. That doesn't make TLOU the bigger IP though.

Halo 4 didn't set the world on fire either. The IP has seen a steady decline.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the argument about Halo being the bigger ip. I mean, why do people reference Halo "3" a game released in 2007, instead of Halo 4 and 5? Especially when series fatigue was first seen with Hao 4 and carried over into 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.